Diesel exhaust smell under hood - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 07-23-2019, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535d xDrive
Diesel exhaust smell under hood

I have a 2014 535d xDrive, 56000 miles. Recently I noticed a slight diesel exhaust smell coming from under the hood of my car. The car seems to run fine despite this. When I pull the sound deadening engine cover off and look at where the injectors are on top of the cylinder head, I notice that the plastic cylinder head cover is melted a little around the front injector and partway back to the second injector. This cover does not seem to be getting hot to the point of melting any more (maybe something happened a single time?), as the engine seems to run ok and when I took the car to the dealer, they found a code that the front O2 sensor heating circuit is reading open, but nothing else. The dealer, however, said they have never seen anything like this and would probably have to replace the cylinder head ($$$$$$). My car is not under warranty.
I did a little more checking on my own, and sprayed some cleaner around that area of the melted plastic (wanted to see if any new soot or oil would appear there while driving) and found that where the cleaner pooled at the base of the injector head, tiny bubbles would float out while the engine was running. I do mean tiny. They lazily would float out from around a couple of the injector bases.
So has anyone seen something like this before? Is there anything else I can check before I look into a new cylinder head? I would think that if the injector copper washers were leaking, the bubbles would not lazily float out...but would come out with some force. I had the recall on the EGR cooler performed, and the dealer did nothing except look at the cooler and say "Yours does not suffer from the leaking EGR cooler problem" and they didn't replace anything.
Any tips or advice on what to check would be appreciated. The pictures don't make it very clear, it is tough to get a good picture of black plastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190718_195445.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	858979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190718_195424.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	858981  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2019, 02:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBulk View Post
I have a 2014 535d xDrive, 56000 miles. Recently I noticed a slight diesel exhaust smell coming from under the hood of my car. The car seems to run fine despite this. When I pull the sound deadening engine cover off and look at where the injectors are on top of the cylinder head, I notice that the plastic cylinder head cover is melted a little around the front injector and partway back to the second injector. This cover does not seem to be getting hot to the point of melting any more (maybe something happened a single time?), as the engine seems to run ok and when I took the car to the dealer, they found a code that the front O2 sensor heating circuit is reading open, but nothing else. The dealer, however, said they have never seen anything like this and would probably have to replace the cylinder head ($$$$$$). My car is not under warranty.
I did a little more checking on my own, and sprayed some cleaner around that area of the melted plastic (wanted to see if any new soot or oil would appear there while driving) and found that where the cleaner pooled at the base of the injector head, tiny bubbles would float out while the engine was running. I do mean tiny. They lazily would float out from around a couple of the injector bases.
So has anyone seen something like this before? Is there anything else I can check before I look into a new cylinder head? I would think that if the injector copper washers were leaking, the bubbles would not lazily float out...but would come out with some force. I had the recall on the EGR cooler performed, and the dealer did nothing except look at the cooler and say "Yours does not suffer from the leaking EGR cooler problem" and they didn't replace anything.
Any tips or advice on what to check would be appreciated. The pictures don't make it very clear, it is tough to get a good picture of black plastic.
I don't have a diesel but ran across this video a while ago. Does it help?

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old 07-23-2019, 02:37 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Yep, that MB has a really nasty engine. Anyone that would open up an engine that filthy is begging for problems.

Important!
It is essential to adhere to conditions of absolute cleanliness when carrying out repair work on the fuel system.

Do not allow any dirt particles or foreign bodies to get into the system
Use only fluff-free cloths
Remove all traces of dirt contamination before dismantling lines or separate components
Seal all fuel system openings with protective caps.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nes/1VnX8Dufec

I had never before heard of a diesel injector exhaust leak, so I searched with my not-G00gle search engine and got ZERO on point hits. Best wishes.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 07-23-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2019, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535d xDrive
Thanks for the replies, I am checking out that video to see if it helps any. It would be a lot of work, but I really would like to look under that plastic cylinder head cover to see what is going on there.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:12 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Here is the NewTIS.info sort file for "injector". Leak and exhaust are too commonly associated with injector to be useful as filter words.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...rch?q=injector
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
diesel, melted cylinder head cover, smell

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search