X5 35d Codes for Days! Please Help - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:07 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted.hight View Post

a bundle of wires next to the EGR Cooler was resting on the hot side and melted the insulation on several causing the short!

one more thought.... You had a few rounds of 'replace the EGR cooler', no? Those yahoos cause the wires to lay against the hot part??

Diesnt reduce dealer thievery...just saying.

At some point, name and shame the dealer...

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2018, 08:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
I took it to a local indy shop and he actually trouble shot the issue!
Dmitry at DUDMD, right? I think I saw him post about this situation on FB.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto:
I Feel Silly.

I recently purchased a 2012 E70 35d. Not knowing all the issues it has with the emissions an other common things that riddle this car.

I had a reduce engine come on (underboost) and decided to bring it to the dealer thinking they were familiar with the vehicle and would spend less time ghost hunting the issue with all their fancy equipment and such. Vs me with a harborfreight OBD2 scanner.

Brought it in and Jason- service rep was very helpful and took my car in quoted me a simple $183 to diagnose and possible repair as well. Put me in a loaner x5 with 39 miles on it. I was pretty happy up to this point thinking I made an expensive choice but a good one.

He calls me a day later and says technician cant find the issue he is asking for more time to find the trouble. I told him I really wasn't comfortable with just throwing money at it blindly and I needed an actual quote of what they required. We agreed on 3 total hours. Very painful decision but he explained tech was going to do a smoke test and various other things to asses properly.

calls me 3 days later and claims a total of 4 hours is owed (*$183 X 4 = $ 732.00 ) and the tech finally removed the small turbo to confirm that it had failed. I totally freaked out because I never agreed to have them uninstall the turbo, and he is telling me it will take over $4,000.00 to replace it. I asked for photos of the work and state my car was in / he was pretty offended and said that I could come in to see the vehicle if I had doubts

I shewed up next day and I come to the back and the tech drives my car in. hmm... driving a 35d with no turbo? I speak with tech briefly and he says that everything checks out fine but he thought he heard a noise from the small turbo and he recommends to have it replaced. I asked if that would be the final repair of the car. and he continues to state, well if the turbo failed It could have damaged the low pressure turbo as well. (large turbo) . I turned to jason and asked why he told me they had removed the small turbo and confirmed it had failed. He's response was "it was a miscommunication with my tech, I thought he said he removed it to verify"

At this point I see the comedy in all of this and I ask them to return my car right away and clearly state to Jason that I could not possible trust them with my vehicle any longer.

Jason has the gull to write up on the final report

Final diagnosis Failed small turbo- customer refuses to complete work.

Does anyone else see the comedy in this?

I take it back to my garage and I remove the vacuum lines and test for vacuum and they all check out. I must have moved or done something because I cleared the codes and drive it to see what pops up next an nothing comes on as of yet. Im assuming there was a vacuum leak somewhere and I'm currently looking for a kit to replace all the vacuum hoses.

And I have no problem mentioning names and the dealer is Crevier BMW in Santa Ana CA.

I have text back and forth confirming all of this, most of the conversations were via text. I absolutely learned my lesson and I feel kinda sick this may be common practice at this place and apparently other dealers as well.

Final thought- Please keep posting all your knowledge and opinions. Its how I knew how to check for leaks and the hoses I will be replacing soon

and STAY AWAY FROM DEALERS!!!! Specially Crevier BMW In SA, CA
Old 06-10-2018, 09:31 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noe_7 View Post
I recently purchased a 2012 E70 35d. Not knowing all the issues it has with the emissions an other common things that riddle this car.

I had a reduce engine come on (underboost) and decided to bring it to the dealer thinking they were familiar with the vehicle and would spend less time ghost hunting the issue with all their fancy equipment and such. Vs me with a harborfreight OBD2 scanner.

Brought it in and Jason- service rep was very helpful and took my car in quoted me a simple $183 to diagnose and possible repair as well. Put me in a loaner x5 with 39 miles on it. I was pretty happy up to this point thinking I made an expensive choice but a good one.

He calls me a day later and says technician cant find the issue he is asking for more time to find the trouble. I told him I really wasn't comfortable with just throwing money at it blindly and I needed an actual quote of what they required. We agreed on 3 total hours. Very painful decision but he explained tech was going to do a smoke test and various other things to asses properly.

calls me 3 days later and claims a total of 4 hours is owed (*$183 X 4 = $ 732.00 ) and the tech finally removed the small turbo to confirm that it had failed. I totally freaked out because I never agreed to have them uninstall the turbo, and he is telling me it will take over $4,000.00 to replace it. I asked for photos of the work and state my car was in / he was pretty offended and said that I could come in to see the vehicle if I had doubts

I shewed up next day and I come to the back and the tech drives my car in. hmm... driving a 35d with no turbo? I speak with tech briefly and he says that everything checks out fine but he thought he heard a noise from the small turbo and he recommends to have it replaced. I asked if that would be the final repair of the car. and he continues to state, well if the turbo failed It could have damaged the low pressure turbo as well. (large turbo) . I turned to jason and asked why he told me they had removed the small turbo and confirmed it had failed. He's response was "it was a miscommunication with my tech, I thought he said he removed it to verify"

At this point I see the comedy in all of this and I ask them to return my car right away and clearly state to Jason that I could not possible trust them with my vehicle any longer.

Jason has the gull to write up on the final report

Final diagnosis Failed small turbo- customer refuses to complete work.

Does anyone else see the comedy in this?

I take it back to my garage and I remove the vacuum lines and test for vacuum and they all check out. I must have moved or done something because I cleared the codes and drive it to see what pops up next an nothing comes on as of yet. Im assuming there was a vacuum leak somewhere and I'm currently looking for a kit to replace all the vacuum hoses.

And I have no problem mentioning names and the dealer is Crevier BMW in Santa Ana CA.

I have text back and forth confirming all of this, most of the conversations were via text. I absolutely learned my lesson and I feel kinda sick this may be common practice at this place and apparently other dealers as well.

Final thought- Please keep posting all your knowledge and opinions. Its how I knew how to check for leaks and the hoses I will be replacing soon

and STAY AWAY FROM DEALERS!!!! Specially Crevier BMW In SA, CA
Well... Welcome to Bimmerfest. You have found a great resource, unfortunaltey a few hundred dollars too late.

I love 500 miles away fro Crevier and I know them to be thieves.

Your SA is a commen scam artist- they sucked you in and just stole money from you. $168 for 10 minutes. The three hours for nothing. The tech just made a few quesses and the SA fabricated a turbo story.

Frankly I would have refiused to sign the repair order. Tell him 'unless you provide me with documentary proof the turbo has failed I will not acknowledge the diagnosis with a signature. Cause a standoff, bring in upper management.

One question: is the car under 7 years or 70k? In CA the turbo is covered.

Finally, did you get ANY of the codeshares tests they had pulled? Or did you just trust the SA with there "CS states light on, check and advise"?

Oh, buy a BMW speciifc scanner. You could have bought 2 or 3 foxwell scanners with what you spent....

Expensive lesion, but could have been worse.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 10-06-2019, 12:03 AM

Mein Auto: M5
This thread was intense. I'm checking into some item's for my Aunt's 2012 x5 35d after a comical estimate for the glow plugs and module replacement. I will post the estimate if I can.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:32 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinasu View Post
This thread was intense. I'm checking into some item's for my Aunt's 2012 x5 35d after a comical estimate for the glow plugs and module replacement. I will post the estimate if I can.
Welcome to BF

This was nothing....

Start a new thread if you need help on the car.

Old 10-06-2019, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
File a report with bmw na for lying... These pieces of crap need to learn a lesson and you might get money back
Old 10-06-2019, 09:58 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

^^ Old thread.

But re-reading it just pisses me off all over again.

Bummer tom.hight didnt have the courtesy of closing the loop on his issue

Old 10-07-2019, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
^^ Old thread.

But re-reading it just pisses me off all over again.

Bummer tom.hight didnt have the courtesy of closing the loop on his issue
He did:

Quote:
Well, y'all ain't never gonna believe this....

I took it to a local indy shop and he actually trouble shot the issue! Systematically ruling our sensors by unplugging them to see if the fault went away. After unplugging everything in the 5V line he determined no sensors were fault. He then moved on to wiring. Turns out a bundle of wires next to the EGR Cooler was resting on the hot side and melted the insulation on several causing the short!

So bam! We're back in business baby. $700 fix. I love it! No money on parts it was all diag time. Wish I had started with him.

Thank you everyone for your input! And seriously Screw BMW service. I want my money back. Literally noting they said was wrong was.
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions

Last edited by FredoinSF; 10-07-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:36 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

lol.

now i feel silly....

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
35d, diesel, x5

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search