12 Week wait, 2 weeks of ownership, 4 weeks of wait - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i XDrive
12 Week wait, 2 weeks of ownership, 4 weeks of wait

Hello all,

I thought I would finally register and introduce myself, via a post. I've been lurking since January, attempting to learn as much about the F30 as possible, and just never got around to registering.

So, to explain the title of the thread - I ordered a MY2014 328i xDrive Sport Line in Jet Black with the Navigation package and the Connected Drive package back in January. After twelve weeks of waiting, I finally took delivery mid-April. Less than two weeks later, and with 360km on the odometer, another driver ran into my parked car with a Dodge Ram while pulling out of the parking spot beside my car. Before and After pictures attached. It has been in the body shop since then.

It's all rather unfortunate, but at least she was decent enough to not only leave me a note, but also hung around waiting for me to return, which I did some 90 minutes after she had done the deed. Even more unfortunately, the car was driving beautifully. Of course I was driving it pretty sedately, but so far I hadn't detected a single rattle, squeak, or any other gremlin to speak of. My dealer had loaned me two different MY2013 base 328i xDrives while I waited for my car, and compared to both, mine's engine/tranny/AutoSS were silky smooth.

The damage is about $6K in total and my insurance company has been pretty decent in handling the claim. Strangely enough, both wheels turned (equally) as a result of the impact, yet there isn't a scratch on the wheel itself. The body shop (local BMW's body shop) is claiming there isn't any mechanical damage, but I have had my insurance company authorize an alignment anyway. I guess I'll find out once the bodywork is done. Hopefully, the damage won't result in any rattles/squeaks or other problems down the line.

The irony of all this is that the other driver told me she never saw my car. Coming from a Mazda MX-5 (NC -3rd generation), which I parked in the same parking lot for 4 years without it suffering any damage, I find that somewhat amusing.

In the meantime, I am in a 2013 C300 4MATIC rental and this has allowed me to do a direct comparison between two very similar cars (in terms of price and specs). The C is a quirky but alright car, and ultimately I am pretty pleased it wasn't on my list of potential vehicles when I ordered the bimmer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	441063   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	441064   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	441065   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	441066  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 10:02 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2016 M3 SO ZCP
That sucks man. She was driving a RAM, which is a very high up car, so I could see she didn't "see" it. Obviously oyu were parked, and smack dab in the middle, so nothing that you did wrong.

Good call on getting the alignment. Just from the pictures it looks like all body damage.

You are in the Canada...is there a chance for you to recoup loss of car value?
My Drive Style

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Backup cameras and sensors should be mandatory on pickups and SUVs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You are in the Canada...is there a chance for you to recoup loss of car value?
Generally speaking, Canadian insurance companies do not offer "diminished value" compensation. There are some signs it could begin very soon in some provinces, but in Ontario - where I live- insurance companies aren't allowed to offer it as an option. And as can be expected, they aren't going to include it as a standard item in their policies either.

The damage was incredibly disappointing, but ultimately, these things are a part of life so I am not planning on pursuing anything other than full repairs.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:39 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2016 M3 SO ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polite Canuck View Post
Generally speaking, Canadian insurance companies do not offer "diminished value" compensation. There are some signs it could begin very soon in some provinces, but in Ontario - where I live- insurance companies aren't allowed to offer it as an option. And as can be expected, they aren't going to include it as a standard item in their policies either.

The damage was incredibly disappointing, but ultimately, these things are a part of life so I am not planning on pursuing anything other than full repairs.
Wait, is it insurance companies are not allowed, or just have no law forcing them to do so?

Agreed, if you can't get it, then no use crying over spilled milk. Just get it repaired to your satisfaction.

I am very impressed the other driver left a note AND stayed with the car. Here in the US the other driver would have taken off
My Drive Style

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:31 PM

^^^

If I've read the google results correctly, then my assumption is the regulator feels consumers shouldn't be charged separately for diminished value compensation. So in effect, there is a law that prohibits insurance companies from offering it as a stand-along option, but then there is no legislation stipulating they must include it as part of the policy either.

I was impressed by the driver too. Not only did she leave a note, she left it sealed in a Ziploc bag to make sure it wouldn't get wet from the rain. And on top of that, she waited around for a long time because she said she didn't just want to just leave a note and wanted to apologize in person. Her behavior is a significant part of why I never felt any anger or resentment towards her. In fact, between the two of us, I figure she had the worse day.

Also the Canada/US comparison fails, unfortunately. Back in 2008, I once returned to my parked car (a Mazda 3 at the time) to find a football sized dent in its quarter panel and no note. I think the solution here is to just never park the car!
Old 05-21-2014, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: Kubota & F31 diesels
What an awful thing to have happen!

Took the newness from you and made much worse by your having waited for the car in anticipation.

I'd be very careful with the repair facility to be sure that only OEM parts and paint are used. A different brand of paint may look fine when new but age on the car slightly differently than the original paint, making the repair more obvious as time goes by.

I'd be raging and not very polite with that inept driver, however conscientious and apologetic she mabe have been.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:48 PM

^^^

I see your point of view. I think if I had witnessed the accident, or been in the car at the time, I might have had a different reaction. Also, it was pretty obvious she had been bawling her eyes out when she came up to me.

The car is at BMW Canada's recommended shop, which also happens to be owned by the same group that also owns the BMW dealership I bought my car from. BMW is their specialty so I feel like I am in safe hands. Of course, the real test of that statement will be once the car is ready for "delivery". All the parts they have ordered have BMW part numbers, although I can't speak for the paint itself. I'm not particularly concerned at the moment since, if I am not satisfied with the repairs, they'll just have to start again.

Just for the record, I am not anger-challenged, nor am I perpetually polite. My nick is more tongue-in-cheek than anything else.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328 xi wagon
I thought that I have had some bad luck with people running into me, but I never had a car back in the shop 2 weeks after purchase. That is sad.

I always had excellent luck with the repairs. It sounds like you will too.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: Kubota & F31 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polite Canuck View Post

Just for the record, I am not anger-challenged, nor am I perpetually polite. My nick is more tongue-in-cheek than anything else.
I am relieved to hear you say this because I think that in any case like this, actually in any two party automotive incident, it's prudent to steel oneself against the possibility that the other driver's formal report may differ substantially from their apparent reaction when at the scene.

For example, even though your car was parked it's not outside the realm of insurance thinking to determine a case of shared culpability if your other driver reports that your car was anything less than perfectly centered in its parking space.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by After Hours View Post
I thought that I have had some bad luck with people running into me, but I never had a car back in the shop 2 weeks after purchase. That is sad.

I always had excellent luck with the repairs. It sounds like you will too.
We had someone back into our X5 when it was only a few days old. In a Wendy's drive-through by somebody who had just paid, no less. Seriously, who backs up when you need to pull forward to the next window to get the food you just paid for?

Old 05-22-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post
I am relieved to hear you say this because I think that in any case like this, actually in any two party automotive incident, it's prudent to steel oneself against the possibility that the other driver's formal report may differ substantially from their apparent reaction when at the scene.

For example, even though your car was parked it's not outside the realm of insurance thinking to determine a case of shared culpability if your other driver reports that your car was anything less than perfectly centered in its parking space.
Both valid points, and quite honestly, the second hadn't even occurred to me. So far I had been assuming that I was absolved from any responsibility simply because my car was parked/not moving. However, clearly there are situations where you could (should?) also be held at least partially responsible if you park like an idiot.

As to your first point, we both went to the police station together and I was more than a little curious when I noticed her writing a tome describing her version of the events on the collision notification report. Ultimately, I was in no mood to investigate, or even ask her how exactly she managed to hit my car. I did notice her truck parked in the same parking lot today and I couldn't detect any noticeable damage to where I would expect to find it.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Seriously, who backs up when you need to pull forward to the next window to get the food you just paid for?
Someone who forgot to upsize his/her drink?

On a serious note, that is sad to hear!
Old 05-22-2014, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 540i M Sport
My sympathies! Same exact thing happen to me last Thanksgiving. Doorbell rang as we were cutting the turkey and lady asks if anyone had a blue BMW. She backed her Jeep into mine with only 1700 miles on it. Was in BMW CCRC 33 days to fix $5K in damage. Her insurance paid and now I'm debating whether to pursue a Diminished Value claim. I can but it'd involve suing her if her insurance refuses to cooperate, which it has thus far. The hassle of small claims and gathering reports plus having to sue the lady who hit me is giving me pause. Such a hassle! But my car is good as new. Good luck!

2019 540i M Sport: Carbon Black Metallic/Napa Ivory MC - ZMP, ZP2, ZPK, ZPX, ZDB, 2NH, 456, 2VH, 4M5, 4U1, 688
2013 328i M Sport: Estoril Blue - Premium, Tech, Lighting, HK Audio, PDC/Backup Cam, HUD, M Sport Wheel, Heated Leather Sport Seats, Unbadged
BMWCCA: 545538 (Cars aren't assets, they are consumables)

Last edited by Pappy Pipes; 05-22-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: '16 328i M Sport
Are those the stock wheels on the X-drive 328? I like them!

R.I.P- 2014 320i Sport Pkg | 2010 VW GTI |2010 Mazda 3 2.5
Old 05-22-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Pipes View Post
My sympathies! Same exact thing happen to me last Thanksgiving. Doorbell rang as we were cutting the turkey and lady asks if anyone had a blue BMW. She backed her Jeep into mine with only 1700 miles on it. Was in BMW CCRC 33 days to fix $5K in damage. Her insurance paid and now I'm debating whether to pursue a Diminished Value claim. I can but it'd involve suing her if her insurance refuses to cooperate, which it has thus far. The hassle of small claims and gathering reports plus having to sue the lady who hit me is giving me pause. Such a hassle! But my car is good as new. Good luck!
What a shame! It's a real beauty. Good to hear it's been repaired well.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
Are those the stock wheels on the X-drive 328? I like them!
Assuming you're talking about mine; yes, they are stock. The Sports Line comes standard with 19 inchers in Canada.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: F82 M4
really sucks man
Old 06-18-2014, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
That is quite a story. When we had bought our Toyota Sienna, new, for my wife she lent it to her father to help move her Grandmother in Toronto, after having it for only a few weeks. He ran something along side the door and backed into a post. We have the rear view camera too. Anyway, being family and all, we paid to have it fixed. Kind of a bummer though.

That is a beautiful car though. How do you find the rims? I'm hoping when I pick up my car tomorrow that I'm wowed by it. It wasn't clean when I test drove it, being clean makes a big difference.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:35 AM

^^^

Actually, this is now week seven and I still do not have the car back. Part of the delay is down to availability of parts, but I believe it is all done now and I should be able to pick it up in a day or two.

The rims, for me, are fantastic. I was afraid the ride was going to be quite harsh, but it isn't bad at all. Also, I like the simplicity of the design. BMW OEM wheels have always been known to be on the softer side. Perhaps that has more to do with how BMWs are typically driven, but in any event, it's a good set that isn't even available in the US.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 320 Xi
Did lease or buy ? And does this effect your lease j.w I too got into an accident Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1403147762.371542.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	446672

I feel your pain !

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-18-2014, 09:52 PM

^^^
Sorry to hear that. Seems to be cosmetic for the most part. My car is financed and I'm sure I'll take a hit in value whenever I decide to trade it in down the line. Best of luck with the repairs!
Old 06-19-2014, 02:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Sorry to hear this. I had my E90 hit with only 9000 miles on it and 5 months old. The entire front end including new frame rails were replaced to the tune of $26,000. The amazing thing is I have 74,000 miles on her today and it still drives like it's brand new. Your damage appears to be only cosmetic, but I would make sure too use a certified BMW repair shop anyway.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search