F30 HiFi speaker upgrade options: Advice needed - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics by BAVSOUND

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics by BAVSOUND
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-21-2015, 08:59 PM
Polite Canuck Polite Canuck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ottawa, Canada
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 910
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i XDrive
F30 HiFi speaker upgrade options: Advice needed

Hello,

I have a dilemma and would really appreciate some feedback/advice.

I recently replaced the OEM 7-channel amp with a JL Audio XD800/8V2 - all speakers, including center are powered with Technic harness. Unfortunately, the new amp has accentuated the OEM speaker weaknesses. The system is Much louder now, but also very bright/harsh/shrill with very weak bass. The underseat woofers are so weak, they might as well be disconnected (all settings close or equal to Technic's suggested settings for this amp). Overall, the system is causing a lot of listening fatigue within 15-20 minutes, and even sooner at say 60% volume. I prefer the sound to be more towards the warm spectrum. I don't require subwoofer type bass, but right now there is hardly any bass at all, except at very high volumes.

So, having read a plethora of threads on the subject, the recommended second step is to replace the front components, and then the underseat woofers - if required. Being in Canada, I am limited in options because for some PnP products, there are seemingly no online vendors (or not enough for the price to be reasonable) that will ship to Canada - Jehnert being one. So, not having the ability to audition any of the below, I would appreciate your input on "best bang for the buck".

In order of increasing price (all in USD, inclusive of shipping; exclusive of duties, etc.):

1. DLS Ultimate UP4 front components - ~$350
2. BSW Stage One - ~$497
3. Focal IFBMW-S front components (I have read focals are inherently bright. True? Can it be tweaked to be well-rounded?) - ~$515
4. Gladen One Line 201 (I have read these are not true PnP and some sort of adapter will be required to avoid splicing/soldering) ~$535 (Germaniks will increase price by 20% on May 1st)
5. DLS Ultimate UP4 + Earthquake SWS8Xi (Can the 8X work with my JL too?) - ~$620
6. Gladen One Line 201 Extreme (not sure if this speaker set will work with my JL amp) - ~$650 (Germaniks will increase price by 20% on May 1st)

Out of the above, BSW seems like a no-brainer but I am hesitant since it seems more appropriate for those keeping the OEM amp, and from what I've read, improvement is marginal given all the speakers you are replacing. I'm leaning towards Focal because it is the other true PnP, and if they are as good as some say, and are not bright, I might not need to upgrade the underseat woofers for a while - if at all. Under $600 would be the sweet spot, but I could go over for the right product/combination.

Thoughts?
__________________
MY2014 328i xDrive| Sports Line (ZHH)| Jet Black| Premium Package (ZGA)| ConnectedDrive (ZTY)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-22-2015, 07:42 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
OEM Audio PnP Integration
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,161
Mein Auto: 2017 M3
MB Quart QM200.3 set (front component and 8" woofer) = $399 USD

Excellent kit for the price. Adjustable silk tweeter output level at the crossovers as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polite Canuck View Post
Hello,

I have a dilemma and would really appreciate some feedback/advice.

I recently replaced the OEM 7-channel amp with a JL Audio XD800/8V2 - all speakers, including center are powered with Technic harness. Unfortunately, the new amp has accentuated the OEM speaker weaknesses. The system is Much louder now, but also very bright/harsh/shrill with very weak bass. The underseat woofers are so weak, they might as well be disconnected (all settings close or equal to Technic's suggested settings for this amp). Overall, the system is causing a lot of listening fatigue within 15-20 minutes, and even sooner at say 60% volume. I prefer the sound to be more towards the warm spectrum. I don't require subwoofer type bass, but right now there is hardly any bass at all, except at very high volumes.

So, having read a plethora of threads on the subject, the recommended second step is to replace the front components, and then the underseat woofers - if required. Being in Canada, I am limited in options because for some PnP products, there are seemingly no online vendors (or not enough for the price to be reasonable) that will ship to Canada - Jehnert being one. So, not having the ability to audition any of the below, I would appreciate your input on "best bang for the buck".

In order of increasing price (all in USD, inclusive of shipping; exclusive of duties, etc.):

1. DLS Ultimate UP4 front components - ~$350
2. BSW Stage One - ~$497
3. Focal IFBMW-S front components (I have read focals are inherently bright. True? Can it be tweaked to be well-rounded?) - ~$515
4. Gladen One Line 201 (I have read these are not true PnP and some sort of adapter will be required to avoid splicing/soldering) ~$535 (Germaniks will increase price by 20% on May 1st)
5. DLS Ultimate UP4 + Earthquake SWS8Xi (Can the 8X work with my JL too?) - ~$620
6. Gladen One Line 201 Extreme (not sure if this speaker set will work with my JL amp) - ~$650 (Germaniks will increase price by 20% on May 1st)

Out of the above, BSW seems like a no-brainer but I am hesitant since it seems more appropriate for those keeping the OEM amp, and from what I've read, improvement is marginal given all the speakers you are replacing. I'm leaning towards Focal because it is the other true PnP, and if they are as good as some say, and are not bright, I might not need to upgrade the underseat woofers for a while - if at all. Under $600 would be the sweet spot, but I could go over for the right product/combination.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-22-2015, 08:34 AM
Polite Canuck Polite Canuck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ottawa, Canada
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 910
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
MB Quart QM200.3 set (front component and 8" woofer) = $399 USD

Excellent kit for the price. Adjustable silk tweeter output level at the crossovers as well.
Thanks, Technic. I looked at MB QUART, and I had ruled it due to fitment because of the 8.5" woofer and the fact that you and several others have mentioned the woofer housing is shallower and narrower than the E90.

I did just read bdiddyb's install of this set and he seems to indicate tweeters are not a direct drop-in, although the woofers/mids are. Not sure about the problem with the tweeters since he doesn't provide more details. He does mention though that the underseat woofers were only marginally better than the OEM. I am assuming your experience is different if you're recommending this kit over the Gladen?
__________________
MY2014 328i xDrive| Sports Line (ZHH)| Jet Black| Premium Package (ZGA)| ConnectedDrive (ZTY)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 04-23-2015, 11:18 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
OEM Audio PnP Integration
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,161
Mein Auto: 2017 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polite Canuck View Post
Thanks, Technic. I looked at MB QUART, and I had ruled it due to fitment because of the 8.5" woofer and the fact that you and several others have mentioned the woofer housing is shallower and narrower than the E90.

I did just read bdiddyb's install of this set and he seems to indicate tweeters are not a direct drop-in, although the woofers/mids are. Not sure about the problem with the tweeters since he doesn't provide more details. He does mention though that the underseat woofers were only marginally better than the OEM. I am assuming your experience is different if you're recommending this kit over the Gladen?
The Gladen kit is the MB Quart kit with different crossovers. Take a look at both sets and you will see.

Tweeters do not have to be a direct fit to fit. As long as the tweeter casing is smaller than OEM there are several ways to fit them in there with tape/Velcro. The OEM foam will keep them in place.

Last edited by Technic; 04-26-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-23-2015, 09:57 PM
Polite Canuck Polite Canuck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ottawa, Canada
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 910
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The Gladen kit is the MB Quart kit with different crossovers. Take a look at both sets and you will see.
*Mind blown*

You're right! MB QUART's website makes it sound like the entire kit was developed in-house!
__________________
MY2014 328i xDrive| Sports Line (ZHH)| Jet Black| Premium Package (ZGA)| ConnectedDrive (ZTY)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-26-2015, 09:09 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
OEM Audio PnP Integration
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,161
Mein Auto: 2017 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polite Canuck View Post
Thanks, Technic. I looked at MB QUART, and I had ruled it due to fitment because of the 8.5" woofer and the fact that you and several others have mentioned the woofer housing is shallower and narrower than the E90.

I did just read bdiddyb's install of this set and he seems to indicate tweeters are not a direct drop-in, although the woofers/mids are. Not sure about the problem with the tweeters since he doesn't provide more details. He does mention though that the underseat woofers were only marginally better than the OEM. I am assuming your experience is different if you're recommending this kit over the Gladen?
The benefit of having the QM200.3 woofers over the OEM woofers is that you can go louder, lower and deeper with QM200.3 woofers than with the OEM while not worrying about blowing the OEM woofers up with the XD800/8 if you try to do the same.

If you are not adding a sub then replacing the woofers will be better in the long term if you want to go loud.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-28-2015, 11:22 AM
Polite Canuck Polite Canuck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ottawa, Canada
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 910
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i XDrive
Makes sense. Though it turns out my available options have changed and I can get the Jehnert Kit for very close to the same price. It sells for 498 Euros, including 81.75 Euro VAT. I have to be in Austria for work in the last week of August, so I can pick up the kit there and get VAT refunded at the airport. In all, it will cost ~475 USD so I don't think I can go wrong going with the Jehnerts over the MB Quart.
__________________
MY2014 328i xDrive| Sports Line (ZHH)| Jet Black| Premium Package (ZGA)| ConnectedDrive (ZTY)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-28-2015, 01:17 PM
mcleod52 mcleod52 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 216
Mein Auto: 2014 328i - Alpine White;
Good luck. report back when you get them all installed.
__________________
Living the dream in the Pacific Northwest

2014 F30 - Alpine White, Premium Package, Moon Roof, Suntek CXP Window Tint 35%, Bavsound Stage 1 Speaker Upgrade, Front and Rear Mud Flaps, ECS Matte Blackout Kidney Grills, Coco Matts and Firestone Serviceguard tires. BMWCCA #502883
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-05-2016, 04:35 AM
Andybudhan Andybudhan is offline
AndyB
Location: South Ozone Park, NY
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: 2013 328i Xdrive Sedan
Technic, would you chose the MB Quarts over the Bavsound? looking to replace the speakers in my 2013 328i F30. and add a JL Audio XD800/8V2.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics by BAVSOUND
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.