Diesel Exhaust issues possibly getting worse - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 02-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is offline
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 14,227
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Replacing the coolant thermostat (M57T2-SCR)

newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW E70 X5 xDrive35d SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 11 Engine / 11 53 Thermostat and engine-proof coolant lines / 11 53 000. Removing and installing or replacing the coolant thermostat (M57T2-SCR)

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lines/8J90cdih

"Necessary preliminary work:
Drain coolant
Remove fan
Remove EGR cooler"

Carefully detach coolant hose. Remove thermostat assembly.
__________________
Scepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 02-05-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #27  
Old 02-05-2018, 09:41 AM
COdieselx5 COdieselx5 is offline
Registered User
Location: Wesside, Colorado
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW E70 X5 xDrive35d SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 11 Engine / 11 53 Thermostat and engine-proof coolant lines / 11 53 000. Removing and installing or replacing the coolant thermostat (M57T2-SCR)

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lines/8J90cdih

"Necessary preliminary work:
Drain coolant
Remove fan
Remove EGR cooler"

Carefully detach coolant hose. Remove thermostat assembly.
I saw that, Doug. Don't see anything there about an AC belt.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-05-2018, 10:04 AM
edycol edycol is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado Springs
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,587
Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlbimmer View Post
Reading between the lines from ard and edycol, order the parts ahead of time mail order. Dont expect your local parts house to carry these parts same day, some parts not at all. The grudging drive or call to your nearest dealer left me in no better scenario.

If you are having concerns about the car and are considering dumping it based on your soon to have knowledge, just swap the main thermostat. If you are relatively committed I would do all 3 cooling parts while you are in there.

Assuming you will find you are running at low temp, I would get fixed and up to temp, then get regenerating immediately. Throttle valve fault is likely a victim of running cool, but could/will block regeneration. After regenerating, then intake off for glow plugs, module, and possibly CBU cleaning if the car has 481'd once and 480'd again after that. Consider replacing MAP sensor and checking exhaust pressure tube.


I am keeping my car for longer period of time and changed only main thermostat. Do not overthink this.
67 degrees? Yeah you need to change it like RIGHT now. I think most definitely it is delaying your DPF regeneration as engine needs more time to go over 60c. Your glow plugs are working overtime and your mpg is suffering.
Thermostat in BMW dealership might be same price as on internet. I saw some parts in dealership being actually cheaper.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #29  
Old 02-05-2018, 10:14 AM
dzlbimmer dzlbimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 751
Mein Auto: Diesel
You can probably do the job without removing the AC belt. I think you will need to at least move aside the main serpentine belt but maybe not. The AC belt is a stretch-fit belt. There are no tensioners. This creates a problem upon re installation without special tools (generic or specialty).

EGR cooler (silverish box that crosses the front of the motor and feeds back into intake) needs to be removed to get to one of the upper bolts iirc. Removing the cooler has two bolts on the left that you do not want to strip or drop. Reinstalling the cooler requires a specific torque sequence and some creativity to re-thread the left side bolts without dropping or cross threading. The accordion section is somewhat fragile and cracks, the lever apparatus on the bottom is also to be cared for.

The throttle valve is forward on the motor from where the EGR dumps in (at EGR valve). The dpf will not regenerate with this malfunctioning, another special order part. Get this on the way, especially if your shutdowns are rough. This is a normal failure part (when soot gets into the electrics through a failed seal or worn shaft apparently?). Super easy to change with the EGR cooler and coolant hoses removed. Easy afterward anytime too, but I would just do it now since it is likely failed or to fail soon. This will also give you a good visual of your current carbon buildup situation.

Last edited by dzlbimmer; 02-05-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-05-2018, 12:10 PM
COdieselx5 COdieselx5 is offline
Registered User
Location: Wesside, Colorado
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlbimmer View Post
The throttle valve is forward on the motor from where the EGR dumps in (at EGR valve). The dpf will not regenerate with this malfunctioning, another special order part. Get this on the way, especially if your shutdowns are rough. This is a normal failure part (when soot gets into the electrics through a failed seal or worn shaft apparently?). Super easy to change with the EGR cooler and coolant hoses removed. Easy afterward anytime too, but I would just do it now since it is likely failed or to fail soon. This will also give you a good visual of your current carbon buildup situation.
Which part are you describing here? Do you have a part # for me?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-05-2018, 12:43 PM
dzlbimmer dzlbimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 751
Mein Auto: Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by codieselx5 View Post
which part are you describing here? Do you have a part # for me?
11717804384
shop around for big price swings. Pierburg is the brand you're likely to find, I dont know of any aftermarket.

Last edited by dzlbimmer; 02-05-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-17-2018, 09:18 AM
COdieselx5 COdieselx5 is offline
Registered User
Location: Wesside, Colorado
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Yes! Guys thanks for all the help. I replaced my thermostat yesterday and coolant temp at cruising speed is 87-92 C. Before replacement it never got above 67. Absolutely could not have done it without threads on this forum and xoutpost.

Questions:
Is there any way to know when or if DPF regenerations are happening without Carly? I am going to get Carly next week.

Is this the correct Carly adapter for my E70 2009 x5 35d? https://www.amazon.com/Original-Carl...ef=sr_1_1_sspa

Does Carly allow you to code in new parts like my new trailer light controller?

After a long time of no regenerating, will the DPF even be able to regenerate?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-17-2018, 09:24 AM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is offline
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 14,227
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Some say that the dip in instantaneous fuel mileage can be seen. I think that I can smell mine. When the DPF CANNOT regenerate you will have DTC's.
__________________
Scepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-17-2018, 09:58 AM
hsindogg's Avatar
hsindogg hsindogg is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Potomac, MD
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 614
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d | 2020 530xe
Quote:
Originally Posted by COdieselx5 View Post
Yes! Guys thanks for all the help. I replaced my thermostat yesterday and coolant temp at cruising speed is 87-92 C. Before replacement it never got above 67. Absolutely could not have done it without threads on this forum and xoutpost.

Questions:
Is there any way to know when or if DPF regenerations are happening without Carly? I am going to get Carly next week.

Is this the correct Carly adapter for my E70 2009 x5 35d? https://www.amazon.com/Original-Carl...ef=sr_1_1_sspa

Does Carly allow you to code in new parts like my new trailer light controller?

After a long time of no regenerating, will the DPF even be able to regenerate?
Yes that's the Carly adapter for iOS. I don't think there's anyway you can check to see if you're going through a regen thru any kind of dash indicator. I got Carly and forced a regen, and while the MPG did dip it wasn't for very long. I also noticed a slight hesitation at 70mph.

Only one way to find out if it will regenerate. What I suggest doing is getting the engine hot, like 180F, find a nice long stretch of highway (Sunday mornings at 8AM works for me), put it on cruise at 75, and shift it to M5 and it'll stay around 3K RPM, then force a regen and see what your soot and ash mass are in Carly's DPF monitor. I'm around 3g soot, 43g ash which seems to tell me my DPF is working and I don't have an optimal type of daily commute for a diesel.
__________________
Sparkling Bronze 2011 X5 xDrive35d
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-17-2018, 10:04 AM
35dx5 35dx5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Barrie, Ontario
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 142
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 - 35d -- 131k
There are two different Carly adapters, the original and a newer smaller version that is white and has an on/off switch.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-17-2018, 10:15 AM
edycol edycol is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado Springs
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,587
Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COdieselx5 View Post
Yes! Guys thanks for all the help. I replaced my thermostat yesterday and coolant temp at cruising speed is 87-92 C. Before replacement it never got above 67. Absolutely could not have done it without threads on this forum and xoutpost.

Questions:
Is there any way to know when or if DPF regenerations are happening without Carly? I am going to get Carly next week.

Is this the correct Carly adapter for my E70 2009 x5 35d? https://www.amazon.com/Original-Carl...ef=sr_1_1_sspa

Does Carly allow you to code in new parts like my new trailer light controller?

After a long time of no regenerating, will the DPF even be able to regenerate?


Enter hidden menu and fallow coolant temp. Temperature will briefly spike up during regeneration.
If DPF didnít go into regeneration, you would have CEL by now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-17-2018, 11:07 AM
COdieselx5 COdieselx5 is offline
Registered User
Location: Wesside, Colorado
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Check engine light was on before (see original post) and is still on. I will get Carly and report back. Limp mode has not returned so that is good. But then again weather is getting warmer. It seemed to happen more when it was colder outside.

No one knows if Carly can tell the computer about the trailer light controller?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-20-2018, 09:07 AM
Ozer's Avatar
Ozer Ozer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rochester NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 448
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 diesel
Any update on this repair, were you able to do it?

My temps after an hour of highway driving was at 75c. I have noticed mileage going down to 22avg vs 26avg a year ago. Still getting regens done as it should but should i get the thermostat replaced soon?
I plan on keeping the x5 for few years. Currently at 144k miles. Anyting else i should get replaced while in there? will this kit be fine? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...11517801063kt/

Last edited by Ozer; 02-20-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-20-2018, 09:32 AM
edycol edycol is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado Springs
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,587
Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozer View Post
Any update on this repair, were you able to do it?

My temps after an hour of highway driving was at 75c. I have noticed mileage going down to 22avg vs 26avg a year ago. Still getting regens done as it should but should i get the thermostat replaced soon?
I plan on keeping the x5 for few years. Currently at 144k miles. Anyting else i should get replaced while in there? will this kit be fine? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...11517801063kt/


DO NOT BUY IT!
Buy strictly BMW OE thermostat. You can find it online, on ECS web site too.
Yes, you should change it. If temperature drops below 75 your glow plugs will kick in to improve efficiency. Not good for glow plugs and control module.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-20-2018, 10:29 AM
16valex's Avatar
16valex 16valex is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,810
Mein Auto: 530I Blown/ X5 35D
Things I don't Like About my X5

Nothing!

Last edited by 16valex; 02-20-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-20-2018, 10:51 AM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: Sierra foothills, California USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,968
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16valex View Post
Nothing!
FWIW:

People that get email notifications of new posts from this forum actually got the initial post....

__________________
Alignment here: The Definitive Alignment Thread

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label


OEM is not what BMW sells


http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-20-2018, 01:16 PM
Ozer's Avatar
Ozer Ozer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rochester NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 448
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
DO NOT BUY IT!
Buy strictly BMW OE thermostat. You can find it online, on ECS web site too.
Yes, you should change it. If temperature drops below 75 your glow plugs will kick in to improve efficiency. Not good for glow plugs and control module.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds good, i will get BMW OEM one. Assuming i will need a quart of coolant as well?
Maybe even do a coolant flush since it hasn't been changed in over 100k miles.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-20-2018, 02:31 PM
FredoinSF FredoinSF is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Reno NV & Healdsburg CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,992
Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozer View Post
Sounds good, i will get BMW OEM one. Assuming i will need a quart of coolant as well?
Maybe even do a coolant flush since it hasn't been changed in over 100k miles.
You will need a gallon of coolant (not a quart). Buy the BMW stuff, mix it 50/50 with distilled H2O.
__________________
Current:
2018 540ix
2015 428i convertible
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed



Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-20-2018, 07:22 PM
edycol edycol is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado Springs
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,587
Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
You will need a gallon of coolant (not a quart). Buy the BMW stuff, mix it 50/50 with distilled H2O.


^This!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-21-2018, 08:32 AM
Ozer's Avatar
Ozer Ozer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rochester NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 448
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
^This!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Getting my guy that works at local Indy to do it at his house for $160 + thermostat. He has coolant. He did my transmission fluid change and transfer case and both diffs couple years ago.
Very knowledgeable.

Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-21-2018, 08:41 AM
edycol edycol is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado Springs
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,587
Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozer View Post
Getting my guy that works at local Indy to do it at his house for $160 + thermostat. He has coolant. He did my transmission fluid change and transfer case and both diffs couple years ago.

Very knowledgeable.



Thanks for the advice.


That is a steal. Thermostat takes a bit of time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-21-2018, 08:47 AM
Ozer's Avatar
Ozer Ozer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rochester NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 448
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
That is a steal. Thermostat takes a bit of time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He said book calls for 3.5hr. He works on BMW/Audi/Porsche and other foreign cars all day so im sure he can do it quicker.

Any good sites to get the thermostat besides oembimmerparts or ECS tuning?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-21-2018, 09:16 AM
sunny_j's Avatar
sunny_j sunny_j is offline
bmw addiction
Location: Vancouver, Britsh Columbia
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,115
Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
^This!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Getting my guy that works at local Indy to do it at his house for $160 + thermostat. He has coolant. He did my transmission fluid change and transfer case and both diffs couple years ago.
Very knowledgeable.

Thanks for the advice.
Why not change the water pump while at it?
__________________

2012 X5d | Deleted & BRR Tuned | DWR TCU Tune | 10.25" Android 8.1 Screen

Build Log
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1290337
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-21-2018, 09:20 AM
edycol edycol is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado Springs
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,587
Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
Why not change the water pump while at it?


I agree with this. You are already at 100k. Just change pump to.
Check FCPeuro, AutohausAZ (I got mine there).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-21-2018, 02:14 PM
COdieselx5 COdieselx5 is offline
Registered User
Location: Wesside, Colorado
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
For guys discussing the water pump, please find another thread. I can tell you that changing the thermostat is quite easy (drain coolant, fan off, egr off, change tstat, egr on, fan on, refill coolant). The water pump was not even close to accessible when the tstat was. Many more parts would have had to come off for that.

I needed no special tools to refill coolant. I have heard some other guys getting low coolant warning after refilling. All I did was fill reservoir, bleed air out of the little coolant hose on top of the EGR until coolant came out, and topped off. No problems. I used pentafrost NF. It took two 1.5 liter concentrates and most of a gallon of distilled water
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
35d, diesel, dpf, exhaust, nox


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.