2013 3.5D Too Often Lit Check Engine Light - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 Diesel
2013 3.5D Too Often Lit Check Engine Light

History: Bought 2013 3.5D CPO in Feb of '17 w/21K miles. According to records, oxygen sensor had been changed at 17K miles. Now has 47K miles and has been in 4 times for check engine light: Three times for oxygen sensors (both in front and back of cat), and once for active DEF tank just a week ago. SA mentioned mechanics want to change out the catalytic converter as well.

SA said during last trip in for check engine light, "Welcome to the BMW diesel world!" and "EPA regulations really did a number on the E70 diesel. The X15 is much better."

I live in Illinois with biodiesel at most gas stations but drive out of my way to *always* fill with premium diesel because supposedly the biodiesel does a number on the emissions.

Light just came on again this am. Car will go out of CPO in October of 2019 or 100K miles. I'm thankful that they are taking care of this stuff under CPO.

Question: Is this what I have to look forward to during the life of this car? I know the cost of getting into and maintaining a BMW is not for the faint of heart, but the constant problems with the diesel emissions is starting to get silly and does not look like it will abate.

I know Illinois does not do emissions checks on diesels so I could tear all of it out after CPO, but I'm not confident that won't open another very large can of worms.

Final point: I absolutely love this truck. Excellent mileage, amazing torque, superior handling for an SUV. I would drive the wheels off of it, but I'm worried about constant diddling with the emissions systems.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2018, 08:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidtb View Post
History: Bought 2013 3.5D CPO in Feb of '17 w/21K miles. According to records, oxygen sensor had been changed at 17K miles. Now has 47K miles and has been in 4 times for check engine light: Three times for oxygen sensors (both in front and back of cat), and once for active DEF tank just a week ago. SA mentioned mechanics want to change out the catalytic converter as well.

SA said during last trip in for check engine light, "Welcome to the BMW diesel world!" and "EPA regulations really did a number on the E70 diesel. The X15 is much better."

I live in Illinois with biodiesel at most gas stations but drive out of my way to *always* fill with premium diesel because supposedly the biodiesel does a number on the emissions.

Light just came on again this am. Car will go out of CPO in October of 2019 or 100K miles. I'm thankful that they are taking care of this stuff under CPO.

Question: Is this what I have to look forward to during the life of this car? I know the cost of getting into and maintaining a BMW is not for the faint of heart, but the constant problems with the diesel emissions is starting to get silly and does not look like it will abate.

I know Illinois does not do emissions checks on diesels so I could tear all of it out after CPO, but I'm not confident that won't open another very large can of worms.

Final point: I absolutely love this truck. Excellent mileage, amazing torque, superior handling for an SUV. I would drive the wheels off of it, but I'm worried about constant diddling with the emissions systems.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, get ready for some work after CPO. Now research exhaustively this topic. Numerous threads about it.
There are some ways around.
1. Active tank warranty is extended to 10yrs/120k.
2. NOx sensors warranty is extended to 10/120.
3. Passive tank is also issue. Level sensor goes bad. Trick is to install resistor and it always show full. You just need to add DEF occasionally.
4. Active tank problem is heating unit. Same unit goes to VW and VW sells part, $206.
My take? While i am against it, I also understand that drivers are put into this position and manufacturers are cherry picking what to extend warranty on.
Do delete. There are reputable tuners like Malone Tuning and AZ Rodriguez. Also, try to do just SCR delete. Leave DPF if you do not want smoke.
I would in IL just delete everything. Do not additionally boost power. You will gain power by just taking down DPF. Those engines can make easily 500k IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2018, 08:51 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
IMO your issue isn't a 'car' issue...it's a "BMW Mechanic" issue.

Utter nonsense like "the EPA did a number on this" is crap. Plenty of diesels meet EPA regs. Heck, the F15 does, apparently. What is this schumck getting kickbacks from the new car sales group? Or is it that the F15 is new and he isn't seeing them come in yet?? Just ignore what the SA says, they are far from experts.

Clearly, this shop has a very minimal service philosophy- for you to have 4 cels and the SA verbally offer 'yeah maybe we might do the SCR next time' is an indicator that they are fully invested in solving this overall problem.

1. You should unlock your OBD dash display and let us know what temperatures your car is seeing during operation

2. Can you try a new dealer? You need to have a direct, heart to heart with a new SA or the manager at the old shop and say 'this needs to fully be fixed'.

3. Have they started a PUMA? (If you don't know what a puma is, search here- it is where BMW Corp engineers oversee what the local mechanic is doing- looking at data, determining what testing is done, guiding the repairs.)

4. When you roll into the dealer and sit at their desk, you describe your complaint. But the SA kinda writes up what he wants, you sign it and off you go, right?? UNDERSTAND that the words on the paper matter, these are your SOLE leverage in the future. If it isn't on the work order it never happened. I always insist that MY language s used. "CEL one code XYZ displayed, check and advise, Report all codes, test plans performed and results of test plans". It allowed me to easily lemon one car that needed lemoning.... Just saying. By doing this you will establish control and make it far more difficult for the SA, Tech and manager to do a half a$$ed job

5. Report back, let us know what the coolant temp is. Should take you 15 minutes to figure out and run the tests.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
IMO your issue isn't a 'car' issue...it's a "BMW Mechanic" issue.

Utter nonsense like "the EPA did a number on this" is crap. Plenty of diesels meet EPA regs. Heck, the F15 does, apparently. What is this schumck getting kickbacks from the new car sales group? Or is it that the F15 is new and he isn't seeing them come in yet?? Just ignore what the SA says, they are far from experts.

Clearly, this shop has a very minimal service philosophy- for you to have 4 cels and the SA verbally offer 'yeah maybe we might do the SCR next time' is an indicator that they are fully invested in solving this overall problem.

1. You should unlock your OBD dash display and let us know what temperatures your car is seeing during operation

2. Can you try a new dealer? You need to have a direct, heart to heart with a new SA or the manager at the old shop and say 'this needs to fully be fixed'.

3. Have they started a PUMA? (If you don't know what a puma is, search here- it is where BMW Corp engineers oversee what the local mechanic is doing- looking at data, determining what testing is done, guiding the repairs.)

4. When you roll into the dealer and sit at their desk, you describe your complaint. But the SA kinda writes up what he wants, you sign it and off you go, right?? UNDERSTAND that the words on the paper matter, these are your SOLE leverage in the future. If it isn't on the work order it never happened. I always insist that MY language s used. "CEL one code XYZ displayed, check and advise, Report all codes, test plans performed and results of test plans". It allowed me to easily lemon one car that needed lemoning.... Just saying. By doing this you will establish control and make it far more difficult for the SA, Tech and manager to do a half a$$ed job

5. Report back, let us know what the coolant temp is. Should take you 15 minutes to figure out and run the tests.

What ARD said is on point. Dealership should open PUMA case if they have issues resolving problem. They did that for me.
I forgot to ask about temperature. It is crucial for health of your emissions components to have properly working thermostat. BMW dealership will not replace thermostat unless CEL is on, and the way BMW set up report for thermostat is ridiculous. By the time CEL comes on, you might wrack havoc on DPF.
Key in this is to have trusted indy!
Also, B20 fuel? Big no!

Old 03-15-2018, 09:26 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
What ARD said is on point. Dealership should open PUMA case if they have issues resolving problem. They did that for me.
I forgot to ask about temperature. It is crucial for health of your emissions components to have properly working thermostat. BMW dealership will not replace thermostat unless CEL is on, and the way BMW set up report for thermostat is ridiculous. By the time CEL comes on, you might wrack havoc on DPF.
Key in this is to have trusted indy!
Also, B20 fuel? Big no!

I **slightly** disagree: on a car like this, with a litany of emissions faults, if he were to write out a complaint that says "C/S (Customer States) thermostat may be faulty, temperature does not exceed (?)70F even after 45 minutes driving, leading to various emissions issues and X visits over the last Y months. Check and advise" it will be hard for the technicians in the back- ESPECIALLY if this goes to PUMA- to ignore. Remember, Puma is not bound by any of the rules that restrict a dealership.

I have seem PUMA recommend two Nox and the SCR cat, 'just to be sure'.

Finally, when PUMA sees a car that has had 3,4 cels and associated repairs, where the dealer has been repeated replacing the same parts, this will get their attention. This is especially true where the car is under 4/50 and/or there is a risk the owner could lemon it. THAT gets their attention.

Again, OP, you have a 'dealer problem'. IMO

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 03-15-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I **slightly** disagree: on a car like this, with a litany of emissions faults, if he were to write out a complaint that says "C/S (Customer States) thermostat may be faulty, temperature does not exceed (?)70F even after 45 minutes driving, leading to various emissions issues and X visits over the last Y months. Check and advise" it will be hard for the technicians in the back- ESPECIALLY if this goes to PUMA- to ignore. Remember, Puma is not bound by any of the rules that restrict a dealership.

I have seem PUMA recommend two Nox and the SCR cat, 'just to be sure'.

Finally, when PUMA sees a car that has had 3,4 cels and associated repairs, where the dealer has been repeated replacing the same parts, this will get their attention. This is especially true where the car is under 4/50 and/or there is a risk the owner could lemon it. THAT gets their attention.

Again, OP, you have a 'dealer problem'. IMO

Maybe if you are that persistent or PUMA thinks that will do the trick.
However, stating : my temperature is at 77 and should be 88, will not do the trick.
I am not sure I would put car through all that just to have thermostat replaced under warranty.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d | 2020 530xe
Also get Carly and a compatible reader ASAP. I'm a desk jockey so spending $60 on Carly, and the $80 on the Carly adapter for the ease of use was worth it to me.

Having the ability to pull the BMW specific codes and doing your own research a little before going to the dealer gives you a little more leverage. I wish I had done it a long time ago, doing so would have paid back spending $140 on Carly itself the first time I went to the dealer when I was out of warranty.

$160 diagnostic charge per hour at my dealer.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:52 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Maybe if you are that persistent or PUMA thinks that will do the trick.
However, stating : my temperature is at 77 and should be 88, will not do the trick.
I am not sure I would put car through all that just to have thermostat replaced under warranty.
Agree

Old 03-15-2018, 12:15 PM

Gents:

Excellent advice all. I'm ordering the Carly today. Should've done it earlier but as I'm a Mac head I've had to run a bit different pattern. I also have an excellent indy and will ask them next week when I see them for rear brakes to also check temp until I get the Carly dialed in to determine if thermostat is the issue.

Truck has never had biodiesel since I've owned it.

I'm also bumping this up to BMW NA to get them started on the PUMA. I haven't given up on the dealer - yet. When I called and said the light was on, SA said "It's a diesel thing".
Old 03-15-2018, 12:15 PM

Gents:

Excellent advice from all and many thanks. I'm ordering the Carly today. Should've done it earlier but as I'm a Mac head I've had to run a bit different pattern. I also have an excellent indy and will ask them next week when I see them for rear brakes to also check temp until I get the Carly dialed in to determine if thermostat is the issue.

I'm also bumping this up to BMW NA to get them started on the PUMA. I haven't given up on the dealer - yet. When I called and said the light was on, SA said "It's a diesel thing".

I'll keep you all posted on progress.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:24 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
G
You cannot get BMWNA to do a PUMA.

PUMA is an internal, dealer-only process. The dealer will reach out and submit a PUMA if they want. You need to push the dealer to do this.

Basically as you are sitting at the desk, tell the SA than this has gotten out of hand with all the visits and CELs, and that they need to open a puma. Insist on "SA has agreed to open a PUMA". If they resist, politely ask to diucss with manager. "Just too many visits, replacing the same parts- 'maybe an SCR cat'... I just need to be sure BMWNA is in the loop on thiese repairs, this must be a puma".

If you contact BMWNA, it will be pointless. THEY cannot force a dealer to do a puma in advance of a visit.

Edit: "its a diesel thing"???? I had one cel on my '12D. Took it in, did a puma, replaced a sensor two nox AND the SCR cat, all at once. Zero issues since. At 110k now. BMW master tech is a friend.

As I wrote before, "its a dealer thing"

Last edited by ard; 03-15-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Gents:

Excellent advice from all and many thanks. I'm ordering the Carly today. Should've done it earlier but as I'm a Mac head I've had to run a bit different pattern. I also have an excellent indy and will ask them next week when I see them for rear brakes to also check temp until I get the Carly dialed in to determine if thermostat is the issue.

I'll keep you all posted on progress.

You can check temperature on your own. Go on YouTube and type: check temperature BMW E60.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: Diesel
While I agree w/ Ard that competent wrenching and diagnosis is a primary issue, these are cars that like to be driven, and prefer to be driven hard (once warm). Ultra low mileage is not necessarily a good thing on any diesel, much less modern tech. You did yourself a favor by buying a 13. As these are more common to get into higher mileage it will be easier to have them serviced competently.
Follow recs from people here, especially get the ability to read your own codes, and try to read any technical documentation for US spec M57 you can find. Dont blindly follow dealer recommended servicing intervals.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:31 PM

Figured out how to check temp now and will do so on long road trip this weekend. Sorry about the ignorance on the PUMA issue (what does that mean?).

I will push for it next week when car goes into dealer and if SA hesitates I'll go to another dealer. Too many in Chicagoland to choose from.

I'm really interested in going long with this beast. Many thanks to all on forum and will keep you posted.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:10 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Figured out how to check temp now and will do so on long road trip this weekend. Sorry about the ignorance on the PUMA issue (what does that mean?).
no worries- it can be arcane. There is no manual for this, most consumers wont ever see this. and I actually dont know what it stands for... BUT

google says:

Quote:
PuMA is a worldwide BMW database of all reported problems and most with their appropriate fixes. I think the acronym means Problem and Measures management Aftersales or in German: Problem und Mebnahmenmanagement Aftersales.

I think a PuMA "case" is a component process of the BMW problem database....

There have been some issues that- when they come up- BMW required all to be reported to PuMA for resolution. Stuff that is problematic, where they want their engineers working the issues from the get go. I cant recall which, but was told 'yeah, that is an automatic puma'

Quote:
I will push for it next week when car goes into dealer and if SA hesitates I'll go to another dealer. Too many in Chicagoland to choose from.
It is a reasonable request- so they shouldnt be dicks about it. "I really appreciate the work your guys have done, but given the fact that blah blah blah perhaps having a BMW engineer involved will get to the bottom of these lingering issues" Firm but insistent. GL!

Old 03-16-2018, 05:02 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Problem und Management Aftersales from my English-German translator. Apparently there is no concise German idiom.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d, MY2011 150,000 mi
Quote:
You cannot get BMWNA to do a PUMA. . . . I had one cel on my '12D. Took it in, did a puma, replaced a sensor two nox AND the SCR cat, all at once. Zero issues since. At 110k now. BMW master tech is a friend. . . .
ard - I knew about your 2010 lemon and also recall reading you had done some emissions work on your 2012, didn't realize 2012 was a PUMA case . . .

What is the "sensor" they replaced? O2 sensor?

Only sharing info - my case - 2011MY, June 2010 build, now at ~130,000 miles . . . got the following parts replaced under warranty, no PUMA
  1. O2 sensor @ 35,294 miles
  2. SCR Mixer @ 40,736 miles
  3. pre/post NOx sensors @ 41,266
  4. SCR catalyst, SCR Mixer (2nd time) @ 42,716 miles
  5. SCR Metering Unit @ 118,902 miles . . . this part, although covered under extended warranty for E90, is NOT a covered item for E70.
At 126,544 miles (past extended warranty) I got Dealer to do BMW diagnostics on their dime. I was convinced something was about to give . . . CEL appeared and then disappeared two days before my Dealer visit! Best I could do was to get them to document the codes they saw (none), run the diagnostics per BMW instructions and document it. Since then (about 4,000 miles) once in a while I get a few codes (see below), some even trip CEL . . . but none of them persist.

Right now I see a few fault codes via Carly . . . but no CEL, so in a wait and see mode.
  1. 004D16 - DeNOx System Efficiency
  2. 004D32 - Reductant Active Tank Temperature Sensor
  3. 00A6E4 - Tank Sensor - is this the level sensor? Diesel tank, DEF Active tank, or DEF Passive tank?
  4. 009319 - Tank level error . . . is this the active tank and not fuel tank or passive DEF tank?
  5. 00452A - Particulate Filter System - don't think this code is related to the Active Tank
  6. 00452A - Particulate Filter System

As mentioned, no CEL, so waiting for CEL to trip. I have a CA SMOG check coming up in a month's time . . . not sure if the SMOG check will fail without CEL tripping . . .

PS: Yes, I have done the obvious - charged battery (about a year old and I charge it twice a week overnight), cleared the codes and they still re-appear after about two weeks
Old 03-16-2018, 10:29 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

puma is not a big deal, at all. If your tech is smart, it allows him to replace MORE parts than the standard bmw 'error/result/action' database allows.

For example, you roll in with a code; he looks up the code and it says do this, replace that'.. say one nox.....however tech suspects that "if I just replace both nox, and the SCR now, it will be trouble-free for ard for the next 5 years'. So tech submits a puma, asks for review of his proposal. Puma approves, done.

(Nice having friends...)

The sensor was an exhaust temp sensor.

You might do the smog early? Dont know if the state of CA will accept a smog done 90 days before. (The website says the cert is good for 90). You can always say "got it done because I was trying to sell" or whatever...just a thought.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
You will fail the obd readiness even if you don't have a cel with those codes.
If cleared, those issues will prevent obd readiness from completing anyway.
Denox was my headache 2 months before inspection last year!

Last edited by robnitro; 03-16-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
puma is not a big deal, at all. If your tech is smart, it allows him to replace MORE parts than the standard bmw 'error/result/action' database allows. . . .

(Nice having friends...)

The sensor was an exhaust temp sensor.

You might do the smog early? Dont know if the state of CA will accept a smog done 90 days before. (The website says the cert is good for 90). You can always say "got it done because I was trying to sell" or whatever...just a thought.
Thanks!

BMW Concord was GREAT when Kevin was running the shop, got to know him well and he was very reasonable/fair. A few months back Kevin got promoted to one of their sister dealerships . . . it was downhill from there, new chap was by-the-book Betsy . . . had to lean hard to do the diagnosis properly. Without CEL and fault codes not persisting, it is a tough sell at the Dealership.

Now I am out of all warranties, will work with Indy to sort this out . . . but before I go that route and while waiting for CEL, I am digging deeper into these codes. Often times these codes are inter-related . . . if you end up replacing the right part, it will clear them all - even if their descriptions don't necessarily point to the part you replaced.

My "gut" says it is the Active Tank, if yes, I will go that VW route (Wachuko approach). Given the current NOx sensors have nearly 100,000 miles, I may consider replacing them (just wish they were a bit cheaper!). I consider NOx sensors more as a maintenance item like the water pump or the coolant thermostat.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
You will fail the obd readiness even if you don't have a cel with those codes.
If cleared, those issues will prevent obd readiness from completing anyway.
Denox was my headache 2 months before inspection last year!
How did you finally solve your DeNOx issue?

My understanding - SMOG Check does not poll the history log . . . so if you clear the codes and drive say 50 plus miles it should be SMOG ready . . . at least I will give that a shot first.

Right now the passive tank has been empty for about two months plus, once the 999-message shows up I will add 2.5 gallons DEF to the passive tank and let the system do the DEF transfer . . . I will clear the codes and see if the codes stay off . . . if not, clear codes, drive 50 miles and take it in for SMOG Check . . . if it doesn't pass, then look into fixing it.

I have every intention of fixing this issue . . . I just want to do it after the CEL shows up and the codes persist.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:10 PM

Hey guys, just got back from a great road trip this weekend; ambient temp was 45-50F, 3.5D temp was 82 - 85C all the way. I've read where 88C is the norm, so I don't know if 3-6C difference would cause problems or point to replacement. Off to dealer Wednesday.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, just got back from a great road trip this weekend; ambient temp was 45-50F, 3.5D temp was 82 - 85C all the way. I've read where 88C is the norm, so I don't know if 3-6C difference would cause problems or point to replacement. Off to dealer Wednesday.

Not necessarily. 88 is when thermostat is completely open. Engine might run cooler if no strain. Be concern one it starts running 79-80 on interstate.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:11 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Seems borderline. I dont think it is causing problems, but it may be pointing towards a future issue.

Dealer will poo poo this finding, Id bet $1000 on it.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Seems borderline. . . . but it may be pointing towards a future issue.
Good luck!
ard - I always thought if "Motor Temp" on Carly stayed above 80C (should cross 80C within a few miles from a morning start), everything was fine.

If it dropped below 80C (city or highway), time to address the issue.

Do you agree?

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
check engine light, diesel, emissions

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search