Power window reset - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 3.0i Roadster
Power window reset

Hello, I learned how to reset the power windows when they start to "act" up. For example my driver's window would only roll up if I kept my finger pressed on the up button. After the reset it started working the way it was meant to. However every time I roll the window all the way down the auto up feature again stops working until I do the reset again. Any thoughts? For those that haven't tried the reset it's very simple. While holding the down button roll your window down. Keep pressure on the down switch for fifteen seconds. Then roll the window up all the way and again keep pressure on the up button for fifteen seconds. The window will operate as it should. As long as I do not roll the window all the way down mine keeps working. Anyone else ever do this? Thanks for reading...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 05:45 PM
RAD 330i

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
An excellent description of exactly the same problem my wife's Z3 Coupe has. Have not found and answer yet other than - don't let the window go all the way down
Old 01-15-2020, 06:34 PM
terry2001z3

Mein Auto: 2001 z3
have not had your problem before but.One of the big reasons for problems on power windows is bad bushing or lubrication.Take the door panel off and see if there is any binding or lack of lube .add a liitle lube and see what happens .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 03:45 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighthnote View Post
... my driver's window would only roll up if I kept my finger pressed on the up button. After the reset it started working the way it was meant to....
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
... .One of the big reasons for problems on power windows is bad bushing or lubrication.Take the door panel off and see if there is any binding or lack of lube...
Do you think that too much friction in the sliders can disable the auto-up feature for which the window needs to be reset?
That might mean the motor can tell the difference from one pull of the switch for auto-up, versus a continuous pull on the switch.
Or it might mean that the motor senses a static friction before the window moves and disables the auto-up.
These explanations seem unlikely and make me doubt that auto-up is affected by the condition of the sliders.
The symptom of excessive slider friction is usually slow windows.

Last edited by vintage42; 01-16-2020 at 04:09 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:53 AM
terry2001z3

Mein Auto: 2001 z3
I belive it could be a problem that needs to be checked.he said that when operateing the drivers side up and down the problem happens.that tells me its that door with the problem .he has reset it many times.he does not say if the problem happens from both doors.there could be several reasons how ,where, why but I would make sure that the mechanicals are working fine first because that costs nothing to look at and to lube.This is just my opinion

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search