So my car got keyed - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6 View Post
I don't have a bimmer yet, soon hopefully, but I have a Nissan. I have the keyless entry and I know within that FOB is a key that can come out. Is the BMW key not the same way? Curious.
It is, but I think the point was that you'd have the FOB in your pocket, and if it isn't in your hand, you are less likely to use it as a weapon on somebody else's car on impulse.
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: M4, F150, Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polite Canuck View Post
I did file a report with the transit company's "special constable" although he has assured me there is very little they can do. They only have a few CCTV cameras covering what is a 670+ car parking lot. Some of the cameras are static, whereas the rest pan around. It is quite possible they won't even bother reviewing the footage from the cameras since it is just a scratch and not a more easily identifiable hit and run. Also, even if they find something of interest, it would be impossible to prove that a person hovering near the car in fact caused the damage and that it didn't pre-exist before I entered the lot. Let's just say I do not have my hopes up.

Ironically enough, this is the second time that I have put in extra hours at work to return to my car being damaged. It seems the heavens are giving me a sign to stop working late.
Now that really sucks. I've heard the we've taped over it or it would be nearly impossible to have somebody review the hours of tape to find it etc excuses. I get that it would be tough and they have more important things to spend resources on, but it does make me sometimes wonder why they bother spending money on the cameras at all.

Hopefully it is smoother sailing from here on out. Good luck PC.

Quote:
It is, but I think the point was that you'd have the FOB in your pocket, and if it isn't in your hand, you are less likely to use it as a weapon on somebody else's car on impulse.
^This.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:01 PM

Thanks minn19 and everybody else.

I did get an estimate today from BMW's certified shop for what will be a repaint of both doors and the quarter panel. The quote came in at just under $1100, which is quite a bit less than what I was expecting. They won't be able to fit me in until the last week of November, though that doesn't sound too bad considering if the damage was targeted, the perp might return to enhance his/her design. Although I am wondering if I should just wait for spring Now, at which point any other scratches between now and then (weather related) could also be fixed. Thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2014, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: X5, 540, 911 Cabriolet MT
Again, get a car cover. That makes your car too much trouble (on average).
Old 10-10-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Again, get a car cover. That makes your car too much trouble (on average).
I'm not sure a cover in a public parking lot is such a great idea. Though, which cover did you have in mind? From what I know of them, they end up causing scratches because the sand/grit on the paint ends up getting rubbed all over as the cover flaps around in the wind. Also, winter is almost here and I'm not so sure mounds of snow will be so kind on a cover.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:17 PM

I use a cheap one just for keeping off tree pollen and sap off in the mountains. Garaged at my primary home. So you'll have to research to address your concerns. I am just saying a vandal walking through a parking lot is probably not even slowing down let alone taking time to remove a cover.

Pick your poison.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
I'm not sure a cover in a public parking lot is such a great idea. Though, which cover did you have in mind? From what I know of them, they end up causing scratches because the sand/grit on the paint ends up getting rubbed all over as the cover flaps around in the wind. Also, winter is almost here and I'm not so sure mounds of snow will be so kind on a cover.
Placing a cover on a dirty car is a bad idea. Plus, I think it would only make your car more attractive to A-holes.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 10-10-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Placing a cover on a dirty car is a bad idea. Plus, I think it would only make your car more attractive to A-holes.
^This and it would be a major pain in the ass. Especially in cold/adverse weather.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:48 PM

Well there you go - a cover over a beautiful car makes it more attractive. Who knew?

So how has no cover worked out for you so far?
Old 10-10-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Well there you go - a cover over a beautiful car makes it more attractive. Who knew?

Please, give him and the rest of us a break. How many people actually use a car cover every time they take a trip somewhere. Less than .01%?
Old 10-10-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Please, give him and the rest of us a break. How many people actually use a car cover every time they take a trip somewhere. Less than .01%?
We are not talking "every time they take a trip somewhere" but his high risk parking lot. Get it straight.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 428GC M-Sport
In my opinion the mindset of these vandals would be to specifically target a car if they see someone with a 'flashy' BMW parking it in a public car park then putting a cover on...
Old 10-10-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Well, in all fairness, this is only the first time I've had a car vandalized in six years of parking in that same lot. Given that, it would hardly be appropriate to call it a "high risk" lot. This isn't about a flashy car either since there are plenty of expensive cars parked there including Audis, Mercedes and even a Porsche.

Perhaps the car cover IS a good idea, but it is just as likely a covered car will attract even more attention (being the only one there!) and I could end up with damage on the car and/or have the cover ripped out of spite. Even if it works as you're suggesting, the cover will just end up scratching the car instead. So, I'd much rather risk the possibility of damage by a vandal than damage it myself with a cover.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 3 series
file a police report. call your insurance. don't worry about chasing the video. even if you can find the perpetrators , not much you can do it yourself.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
We are not talking "every time they take a trip somewhere" but his high risk parking lot. Get it straight.
Right, please enlighten me on what is low risk keying area? I'm sure everybody knows of somebody that has been keyed in nice areas of town and ritzy neighborhoods. Random assholes are everywhere.

Last I checked a car cover is not a locked vault and I tend to agree with others that this might make the car more of a target.

Again, I can't imagine putting on and taking off a car cover twice a day 5 days a week. It would be great fun in a downpour and when you come back to your car when it is -20F with a foot a snow on it. That's exactly what I'd want to deal with after a long day at work.

Last edited by minn19; 10-10-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Well, in all fairness, this is only the first time I've had a car vandalized in six years of parking in that same lot. Given that, it would hardly be appropriate to call it a "high risk" lot. This isn't about a flashy car either since there are plenty of expensive cars parked there including Audis, Mercedes and even a Porsche.

Perhaps the car cover IS a good idea, but it is just as likely a covered car will attract even more attention (being the only one there!) and I could end up with damage on the car and/or have the cover ripped out of spite. Even if it works as you're suggesting, the cover will just end up scratching the car instead. So, I'd much rather risk the possibility of damage by a vandal than damage it myself with a cover.
Yes there are a million scenarios. Fortunately we all get to make our choices.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by haosmark View Post
It seems people are very jelly about BMWs. Someone spit on my passenger window once
When I noticed it I felt so disgusted and mad.
Someone hocked a big one on my M3's windshield in a strip mall where I parked away from everybody. At least that could be cleaned up.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: F33, F15, F82 + others
Unhappy

Just discovered that someone was kind enough to remove one of the fender badges on my F33.

Actually would have left it as-is and remove the other side's too, but then I would have to get the fender resprayed as it was scratched quite badly in the process. Looks like the replacement badge would cover it up though - I hope.

Doesn't seem to be ramdom/targeted vandalism though. Someone just wanted the badge, for some reason.

Last edited by JG_RSA; 10-21-2014 at 09:58 PM. Reason: TMI
Old 10-20-2014, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 F82 M4
Wow that sucks, lots of jealous jerks out there...this thread has me so paranoid now.
BMWCCA #495455
2017 F82 M4 ZCP
Old 10-20-2014, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: F33, F15, F82 + others
^
Yeah, it happened at a place which I frequently go to.
I've been going there for nearly 3 years, without incident or a worry about any of my cars. Until now

I'm really hoping that it's just an isolated incident.

Last edited by JG_RSA; 10-21-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 320i
OP. Did you piss someone off while driving? Maybe there was a time you unknowingly offended someone and they just remembered you and your car. I used to know a lot of motorcyclist who would get back at bad drivers by denting or scratching their car when the owner is not around. I have the empathy for you though. Just a week after I leased my BMW, someone decided to dent it in the parking lot. People now a days just dont have respect for others.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Grim View Post
OP. Did you piss someone off while driving? Maybe there was a time you unknowingly offended someone and they just remembered you and your car. I used to know a lot of motorcyclist who would get back at bad drivers by denting or scratching their car when the owner is not around. I have the empathy for you though. Just a week after I leased my BMW, someone decided to dent it in the parking lot. People now a days just dont have respect for others.
One can never be a hundred percent certain, but I am about as sure as one could be this wasn't retaliation for anything I did while driving. It is far more likely I offended one of the owners of the cars parked either side of me. Like I mentioned in my original post, I parked dead center and straight in my space, but it was a tighter spot and it might've pissed off a driver. For the record, the car parked on the side that has the scratch was a X1.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:36 AM

BTW I checked the lining on my car cover and it feels like fleece - no way it scratches anything. And pulled tight around the bottom with bungee cords in the grommet holes someone would really be targeting my car to go through the trouble.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 320i
Thats just a shame. Not only is it disrespectful but a cowardly way of retaliating. That sucks then but there seems to be nothing you can do to find the culprit.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
This sucks.. Karma...

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search