When are you swapping over to your winter set? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328IX
Done. Winters are on. Pirelli Sottozero II's. They ride Great>>Very Happy with them so far.Larry Pittsburgh Pa
428 IX staggered 18s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014, 08:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Chijner View Post
Done. Winters are on. Pirelli Sottozero II's. They ride Great>>Very Happy with them so far.Larry Pittsburgh Pa
428 IX staggered 18s
Winter comes to P-berg so early? First frost in Seattle isn't until late in November.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: M4 Cabrio - Cayenne GTS
This time of year the weather can be crazy in the Northeast. I was in Vermont last week and the temperature was in the mid to high 70s. It is not unheard of to have snow in Vermont in the middle of October.

I run Pirelli DWS in the winter as I take the car out in the cold but never in the snow.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Porsche Club of America
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
M Gruppe (New York Metro/New England Regional Director)
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2014, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polite Canuck View Post
^^^
Oh, I wasn't suggesting it was dumb. I was genuinely curious what they're planning on inspecting. From the sounds of it, it seems like brakes, lights, fluids, hoses and belts kinda deal.
No worries. I never took it that you did.

Cheers.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I run Pirelli DWS in the winter as I take the car out in the cold but never in the snow.
Don't you mean Conti DWS?
Old 10-21-2014, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 X4 M40i
Quote:
I've always heard that the general rule is that the summer tires need to go once temperatures are consistently 7 C (~45 F) or below. We are getting pretty close to that so that I just made an appointment for my car for November 8.

For those of you who will be "lucky" enough to get snow, when are you planning on swapping your summers/all-seasons to your winter set?

Also, even though it is likely such a thread already exists, post pictures of your car with the winter set if you have them on already.
My appointment for the tire swap is on Nov 11th.
It may be a little early but the date is convenient for me because I have the day off. In our area (montreal/ottawa), mid November is a good time. Might be a tad early but here in QC, you legally have until December 15th.. Getting an appointment just before then can be tough.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW-less (again)
Quote:
I've always heard that the general rule is that the summer tires need to go once temperatures are consistently 7 C (~45 F) or below. .
Rubber adherence starts to change at a lower temperature than that.

I change when I see steady announced temperatures under 2 deg C or 28 degF for at 2 days. that usually means 3rd or 4th week of November.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I actually use the stock wheels mounted on Michelin PA3's on them.

I bought a set of square 18 inch Apex EC-7s and put Michelin PSS on those. Mark K's rule for first mod "reduce unstrung weight." I think they save around 8 pounds per corner over the stock rim/run flat setup. See Mark, I don't always argue or disagree with you .

First, I have to agree with already mounted winter tires. Get a floor jack and change them yourself in 30 minutes. That's including breaks for two longnecks.

Second, it really wasn't my rule. The exact list was from an instructor who had it in the classroom on a slide, other instructors riding in your car will always suggest tires or brakes or 5 point harness or any combo of those but I never heard one suggest adding more power.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 10-21-2014, 04:13 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: e89 Z4, e46 330Ci vert
It's actually very warm here.

My plan is to wait for the first snow morning, take a ride along out dead end street with the M+S, then put on snows and take the same ride. I'm too curious how they really compare.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
My appointment for the tire swap is on Nov 11th.
It may be a little early but the date is convenient for me because I have the day off. In our area (montreal/ottawa), mid November is a good time. Might be a tad early but here in QC, you legally have until December 15th.. Getting an appointment just before then can be tough.
I think my Nov 8th appointment is definitely early - even though we might get a freak snow sprinkling before December, it'll likely melt in a day or two. But there is still the possibility of freezing rain between now and the first major snow fall/storm, at which time, being on summer performance tires will definitely be bad. Also, my winters are brand new and I figure a few hundred clicks on them before the real crap comes our way will scrub them into optimal condition.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: 1975 VW 1303S Atlasweiss
Hi, I'm looking at getting new Hakka R2 mounted on steel rims. BMW only sells mags but they gave me the right specs:

7,5 Jx 17
ET 37
M14 x 1,25 Bolt Pattern

Please I need advice: If I have the Hakkas mounted on the regular steel rims, anything to be aware regarding the tyre pressure sensor or whatnot?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2014, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 435ix GC
I just today put Hakka R2's on my (18") stock rims. The stock run flats (with 550 miles) are going on craigslist.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Just purchase a set of Rial Salerno's and Michelin Ice XI3's. Planning to put them on after Thanksgiving.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:35 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '19 330Xi M Sport
December 1st or the first sign of flying flakes. whichever comes first.

Entertaining America Since 1975

European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=557294
Current:
G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport
Past:
Alfa Romeo Giulia
E90-335d
BMWCCA #448878
Old 10-25-2014, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 128i Cp, 1st year Boxster
In Minnesota, for our cars with summer tires, I swap over when we get 2 days of highs below 42 (with no foreseeable warmup).
For our cars with all-seasons, swap either a couple days before first big expected snow storm, or when we get highs below 30 for more than 3 straight days.
Have our own floor jack so I just watch the weather forecast.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Well, livong in germany the unwritten law is "oktober bis ostern" or "october to easter". Ill be shiiping the 320 to the states in about a month. Im changing to winters next week as this fall is very mild in germany.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328xd
Most years I try to get them changed over in mid-November, so that I have snow tires mounted in case of snow during our Thanksgiving Day journey. Didn't do that about ten years ago and had a surprise snowfall on the way home, very treacherous travel for the last hour. This year because of the new BMW and the whole runflat/TMPS situation I will have to get moving soon to order wheels and TPMS sensors from Tire Rack, my local installer carries Nokian Hakka R2s at a price I can't match at any of the online sellers, even before delivery charges.

I'm sure hoping we don't have as cold and prolonged winter this year as last, but at least last year the snow and ice was not too terrible, I did fine on Hakka Rs that already had 25k miles on them, on my old car.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Rubber adherence starts to change at a lower temperature than that.

I change when I see steady announced temperatures under 2 deg C or 28 degF for at 2 days. that usually means 3rd or 4th week of November.
Ummm 2C is closer to 35 degrees. No biggie though lol. But point taken, when temps remain at or below 45f its time to swap out.

Last edited by f30jojo; 10-25-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: M4, F150, Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthompson View Post
In Minnesota, for our cars with summer tires, I swap over when we get 2 days of highs below 42 (with no foreseeable warmup).
For our cars with all-seasons, swap either a couple days before first big expected snow storm, or when we get highs below 30 for more than 3 straight days.
Have our own floor jack so I just watch the weather forecast.

This is a good way to do it, but I'm getting nervous as we've had a good run this fall. As you know living here things can change literally overnight or the same day for that matter.

I've got a floor jack as well and am thinking I might just get it over with tomorrow and be done with it. I love having dedicated winter/summer set, but the timing of the tire change is challenging in climates like ours for both winter and spring. Last year, I got caught in the mid April snow storm on the way home from work with my summer PSS set on and it was the scariest 30 miles I've ever done. Sadly, my own fault. Glad I didn't hurt anybody else with my stupidity.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:24 PM

Mein Auto: 128i Cp, 1st year Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
This is a good way to do it, but I'm getting nervous as we've had a good run this fall. As you know living here things can change literally overnight or the same day for that matter.

I've got a floor jack as well and am thinking I might just get it over with tomorrow and be done with it. I love having dedicated winter/summer set, but the timing of the tire change is challenging in climates like ours for both winter and spring. Last year, I got caught in the mid April snow storm on the way home from work with my summer PSS set on and it was the scariest 30 miles I've ever done. Sadly, my own fault. Glad I didn't hurt anybody else with my stupidity.
I think this past spring, I didn't put the summer tires on until late May Got a little busy, and figured it wouldn't hurt to keep the snows on a little longer ...
Old 10-26-2014, 09:49 AM
False Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2018 440xi. 2017 X128xi
I put mine on last weekend. Early mornings have been in the 20's, and it has snowed a couple of times but nothing serious, it can still warm up to 70 during the day.

Very nice time of year around these parts. Friday I went MTB'ing in the desert, today we are off to Copper Mtn. for some skiing. Yes, it does suck sometimes, but that's why they call it work.

Back to the topic, I have noticed an improvement in steering feel with the winter tires, they are go flats. Dunlop Wintersport 4D on Moda wheels, I swap them out in the garage myself.
Quality bonding time with the car.

jummo
Old 10-26-2014, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: M4, F150, Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthompson View Post
I think this past spring, I didn't put the summer tires on until late May Got a little busy, and figured it wouldn't hurt to keep the snows on a little longer ...
Ended up being a much better plan than I had . I saw the forecast calls for highs in the 40s this week so no more surprises for me. I got them on today, which was odd considering it was beautiful in the 60s today.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
Forecast for tomorrow is 60% chance of rain/snow, so yesterday while it was nice out I put the winter tires on. (Pirelli Winter Carving Edge runflats.)
Old 11-02-2014, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 ///M3
I swap cars. Not tires. I leave my car in the garage in bad weather.

2016 ///M3: YMB, Executive, Adaptive, DCT
Old 11-06-2014, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d Sports Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I might have to drive my wife's 328d xDrive a few times this summer.
I have a dedicated set of wheels/tires for my 335d, but there have been a couple times I've wanted awd the last couple years. I've got a 4WD truck, but on all-seasons it's actually not very good in the snow; hardly better than my 335d with snows although it won't get high-centered easily.

As far as size goes, my 335d winter set is a square setup 225/45R18 (slightly oversize in diameter). I had a set of Michelin xIce 205/50R17 on my '01 330xi (that's the oem size) and the car was un-stoppable unless high-centered; drove circles around SUV's.
What do you do on your wife's 328d? Just curious if you run all seasons or winter tires?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search