The NEWEST official E36 OT Thread!! - Page 332 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-25-2019, 08:35 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Yesterday was a big day for the GTO project! I finally got the body off the frame and onto the dolly that I fabricated in August. Tomorrow morning I will be trailering the body to the media blaster to have it taken down to bare metal in preparation for all the metal work that will ensue afterward. Things are getting serious!

The frame is in great shape. No nasty secrets were discovered, so that's a relief.

PS: Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Hope you are all doing well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	873345   Click image for larger version

Name:	2a.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	873347   Click image for larger version

Name:	3a.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	873349   Click image for larger version

Name:	4a.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	873351   Click image for larger version

Name:	5a.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	873353  

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGerman; 11-27-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2019, 01:44 AM
Insane in the membrane!

Mein Auto: 1996 328iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Yesterday was a big day for the GTO project! I finally got the body off the frame and onto the dolly that I fabricated in August. Tomorrow morning I will be trailering the body to the media blaster to have it taken down to bare metal in preparation for all the metal work that will ensue afterward. Things are getting serious!

The frame is in great shape. No nasty secrets were discovered, so that's a relief.

PS: Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Hope you are all doing well.
Thanks Karl! I hope yours was good too. Your progress is amazing, I'm very excited for you. Thanks for sharing the pics!

I could be doing better, but I could also be doing worse I suppose. I have secured a new job so I don't have to worry about going homeless, but I am still struggling with my brakes which mentally may have an effect on me which causes me to go homeless.

If you or anyone else can I've made a new post on my thread, and I'm really hoping somebody will be able to confirm or deny a behavior I am noticing in regards to the Master Cylinder.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...3#post13182283

1996 328iS OEM Frankenstein
Old 12-12-2019, 08:40 PM
Hellawut??

Mein Auto: who knows?
Damn its been slow around here.
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2019, 10:28 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Indeed. I remember the days when we did PAGES of posts, not a few here and there.

How ya been, Franklyn?
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
BMW-CCA #441426

1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

Old 12-13-2019, 01:22 AM
Insane in the membrane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Indeed. I remember the days when we did PAGES of posts, not a few here and there.

How ya been, Franklyn?
Agreed, I'm certainly no exception to that trend, I feel kind of responsible in a way. I wouldn't mind spending some more time on here now.

Since I find myself searching for something to share, my mind is on LeMons!!! Seems that sometimes if you just keep blabbing away about something you really want sometimes it happens. This year I've made a good dent in selling off car parts I don't want/need, the fun thing about this has been meeting new, sometimes like minded folks. So I met this pretty awesome dude, bit younger than me, pulled up in a Porsche he recently got a good deal on. We had some good conversation, he also has an E46 M3, and used to have an E30. He hit me up sometime later to try out a league race night at the local go-cart track. He joked that if we won that night he promised to put together a LeMons team. He needed another driver since if you're not used to it, driving one of these karts for a solid hour is pretty difficult. We switched a couple times throughout the race (they give you extra laps to try to balance it out) needless to say we had our asses handed to us and placed dead last despite having some great lap times, switching drivers really killed us, and it's hard to compete with a group of guys who do this every 2 weeks, in the same karts, on the same track for a solid hour at a time.

I talked to him later and came to find out that an old friend of his he barely knew in college and hadn't talked much to since found a free LeMons car and they were putting together a team, since I actually did prove myself at the go-kart track he said "you can be on the team as far as I'm concerned". It is FAR from ideal but I can't protest, I think we all just want to get our feet wet. So here it is.... a '96 Buick Century, 3100 Comes with a full cage and an engine that knocks like crazy . What a bad era for GM, you know this car was hardly any different than my 85!!! Buick Century, it had the SAME dash, SAME radio, SAME climate controls, all they did was add an airbag and put the seat belt in the door instead of on the B pillar, WHY that is a good I have no idea. Anyways this same guy found a great deal on an identical 96 Century for sale, same color too, 90k miles, talked him down from a ridiculous asking price of $1600 to $300, engine didn't run but the owner said all it needed was a crankshaft position sensor.

Last weekend we replaced the one behind the crankshaft pulley, and it had no effect. Come to find out this engine has 2, and the 2nd one was so much easier to replace and much to our surprise the previous owner was right, that's all it needed. Engine ran like poop and was backfiring, didn't know why, took it for a test drive anyways because we couldn't resist rolling around in this oh so sad example of an automobile. Come to find out from my buddy a few days later that it was running like poop because a couple of spark plug wires were mixed up .

Anyways the "race car" needs a lot of work, we gotta get these engines swapped, get a fire suppression system in, we need a seat too, and then of course just going over all the basic maintenance items, fluids, brakes, etc. The guy who found the car is anxious to do a race in February, personally we think that is ambitious but we'll see how it goes. I'm excited though!

Old 12-13-2019, 08:58 AM
Hellawut??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post

How ya been, Franklyn?
Eh ive been okay. i am still healing from the car accident.

and still dealing with kidney disease. Dialysis is no joke. it takes alot out of you.

hopefully i can get on the transplant list and get a kidney here soon. so i can go back to work and living a normal life again
Old 12-13-2019, 12:01 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Thirty View Post

and still dealing with kidney disease. Dialysis is no joke. it takes alot out of you.

hopefully i can get on the transplant list and get a kidney here soon. so i can go back to work and living a normal life again
We'll be thinking of you buddy, hang in there!

Old 12-19-2019, 03:30 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Quote:

Any new developments Franklyn?

Old 12-19-2019, 04:42 PM
I feed trolls

Mein Auto: 3 series
Hello everyone!

I hope you're all doing well.

Ken, my heart stopped when I saw your posts on Ambers memorial thread. Lots of relief was had when I came here and saw your latest posts. I hope you're doing well man

Franklyn, hang in there bud. Good things happen every day, and I am certain you're overdue for some good news.

Karl, thats a super dope project! I remember you talking about having the GTO all those years ago, so I'm stoked to see you've been able to get at it! Any big plans such as a drivetrain swap/build?

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates... I sure do miss you

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Twin turbo Cummins swapped Chevy, dana 60 front axle swap, 4 link rear, air ride, custom everything. 600+ hp, 1296 ft lbs tq
Old 12-19-2019, 09:37 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
Since I find myself searching for something to share, my mind is on LeMons!!!
Lol, the '96 Century is hilarious, and I'm super pumped for you! I've always wanted to do something like that. What's the biggest weakness of those cars? Transmission? Head gaskets? I'm sure you will find out soon enough.

Quote:

I'm rooting for you, Franklyn. Stay strong. Practice mindfulness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive by72 View Post
Karl, thats a super dope project! I remember you talking about having the GTO all those years ago, so I'm stoked to see you've been able to get at it! Any big plans such as a drivetrain swap/build?
What up, Chad! It's been a minute. What's new in your world?

Yeah, the GTO project has been fun. It's also a little terrifying to get so deep into it. As far as the drivetrain goes, the current engine is a rather boring low-compression 400ci. It was a new crate engine that I had installed when I was in high school after the previous engine cracked a piston. So, it only has about 6-7k miles on it and runs fine, but it's slow. Knowing that I'd want to build a more powerful engine in the future, I more recently bought a spare 400ci block that I'm going to bore & stroke out to 462ci and use forged internals. We'll see where money is at after all the body & paint work. If there is some leftover, I'll build the 462ci. If money is tighter, I'll probably clean up the existing 400ci engine, throw a cam and intake on it that I already have laying around, and drive on that for a while until I'm ready to build the 462ci.

Otherwise, I just bought a new custom built Ford 9" rear end from Quick Performance. It has heavy duty axle tubes, Yukon center section, Daytona pinion support, and an Eaton Detroit TrueTrac helical posi. All told, it's capable of handling 700hp, but I'll probably stay in the neighborhood of 500hp with the 462ci to retain some street manners.

Suspension is also being completely redone with a UMI Stage 3 kit, which is basically a "pro-touring" package with tubular control arms with revised geometry, lowering springs, poly and spherical bushings, big sway bars, chassis bracing, etc. And on top of all that I'm installing 4-wheel disc brakes (car was originally drums all around).

So yeah, it's getting the royal treatment. Just got the body back from the sandblaster on Tuesday, and fortunately there is still some of the car left. There is certainly some rot that needs to be replaced, but there were no surprises, so that's good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191216_135613.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	876105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191216_135629.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	876107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191216_150733.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	876109  

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 12-20-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:49 AM
I feed trolls

Mein Auto: 3 series
Quote:

What up, Chad! It's been a minute. What's new in your world?

Yeah, the GTO project has been fun. It's also a little terrifying to get so deep into it. As far as the drivetrain goes, the current engine is a rather boring low-compression 400ci. It was a new crate engine that I had installed when I was in high school after the previous engine cracked a piston. So, it only has about 6-7k miles on it and runs fine, but it's slow. Knowing that I'd want to build a more powerful engine in the future, I more recently bought a spare 400ci block that I'm going to bore & stroke out to 462ci and use forged internals. We'll see where money is at after all the body & paint work. If there is some leftover, I'll build the 462ci. If money is tighter, I'll probably clean up the existing 400ci engine, throw a cam and intake on it that I already have laying around, and drive on that for a while until I'm ready to build the 462ci.

Otherwise, I just bought a new custom built Ford 9" rear end from Quick Performance. It has heavy duty axle tubes, Yukon center section, Daytona pinion support, and an Eaton Detroit TrueTrac helical posi. All told, it's capable of handling 700hp, but I'll probably stay in the neighborhood of 500hp with 462ci to retain some street manners.

Suspension is also being completely redone with a UMI Stage 3 kit, which is basically a "pro-touring" package with tubular control arms with revised geometry, lowering springs, poly and spherical bushings, big sway bars, chassis bracing, etc. And on top of all that I'm installing 4-wheel disc brakes (car was originally drums all around).

So yeah, it's getting the royal treatment. Just got the body back from the sandblaster on Tuesday, and fortunately there is still some of the car left. There is certainly some rot that needs to be replaced, but there were no surprises, so that's good.
Ah I see. Low compression and thick cylinder walls, sounds like a great starting point for some forced induction. I know that goes against the whole "muscle" car thing, but a 366 or 4202 would make for some hella power and beautiful noises

Really digging the rest of the build though. From the sounds of it, it will be nimble to sling around corners and fast in a straight line. Cant wait to see how it turns out, I love builds like yours, lol, The body looks to be in really good shape too, especially for being a michigan car! If those are those are post-blasting, I'd say you're in pretty good shape. I'd imagine the floor boards/trunk are the trouble spots?

As far as me? Oh man where do I begin. I grew up... bought a house, my old truck burned to the ground, and I started a machining/fabrication business. I spent three years on the road as a millwright, got to do some cool things, learned ALOT, and made good money doing so (its how I funded the house and business). I'm still rocking the E82, and a replacement GM truck (Crew cab with the 454, but its rust free and its currently torn apart in my shop for prototype fitting and theres salt on the road lol)

In a strange twist of fate, I make E36 parts now as well as alot of S30/S130 Datsun parts, and GMT400 truck parts. I'm about to buy another new Haas lathe (I only have two machines right now), and I'm in a real shop and have real responsibilities. I only mention it as the last time I was here, I'm pretty sure I was living with my parents still and just drinking beer and building a truck

In an even stranger twist of fate, I found Clark again too, through machining forums on facebook. He looks to be doing super well, and I was happy to see that! Hes much better at machining than I am though

Anyway, if anyone is interested I'd be more than happy to share pictures of my work!

And Karl, If theres anything I can help you with, I'd be more than happy to do what I can!

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates... I sure do miss you

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Twin turbo Cummins swapped Chevy, dana 60 front axle swap, 4 link rear, air ride, custom everything. 600+ hp, 1296 ft lbs tq
Old 12-20-2019, 08:29 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Quote:
Ah I see. Low compression and thick cylinder walls, sounds like a great starting point for some forced induction. I know that goes against the whole "muscle" car thing, but a 366 or 4202 would make for some hella power and beautiful noises

Really digging the rest of the build though. From the sounds of it, it will be nimble to sling around corners and fast in a straight line. Cant wait to see how it turns out, I love builds like yours, lol, The body looks to be in really good shape too, especially for being a michigan car! If those are those are post-blasting, I'd say you're in pretty good shape. I'd imagine the floor boards/trunk are the trouble spots?
Yeah, the floor boards, trunk pan, behind/underneath the rear windscreen, and base of the A-pillars are what will need attention on my GTO. But on the whole, it's a ton better than I was fearing. Amazingly, the lower cowl, rockers, and wheel arches are all super solid. I definitely was not expecting that to be the case being a Michigan car and all.

Quote:
As far as me? Oh man where do I begin. I grew up... bought a house, my old truck burned to the ground, and I started a machining/fabrication business. I spent three years on the road as a millwright, got to do some cool things, learned ALOT, and made good money doing so (its how I funded the house and business). I'm still rocking the E82, and a replacement GM truck (Crew cab with the 454, but its rust free and its currently torn apart in my shop for prototype fitting and theres salt on the road lol)

In a strange twist of fate, I make E36 parts now as well as alot of S30/S130 Datsun parts, and GMT400 truck parts. I'm about to buy another new Haas lathe (I only have two machines right now), and I'm in a real shop and have real responsibilities. I only mention it as the last time I was here, I'm pretty sure I was living with my parents still and just drinking beer and building a truck

In an even stranger twist of fate, I found Clark again too, through machining forums on facebook. He looks to be doing super well, and I was happy to see that! Hes much better at machining than I am though

Anyway, if anyone is interested I'd be more than happy to share pictures of my work!

And Karl, If theres anything I can help you with, I'd be more than happy to do what I can!
Damn dude, you have been BUSY! Good for you, very impressive. I'd be super interested to see photos of the kinds of things you're working on these days.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 12-25-2019, 04:51 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Merry Christmas, y'all!
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
BMW-CCA #441426

1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

Old 01-01-2020, 10:42 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Quote:
Lol, the '96 Century is hilarious, and I'm super pumped for you! I've always wanted to do something like that. What's the biggest weakness of those cars? Transmission? Head gaskets? I'm sure you will find out soon enough.
Ya you pretty much nailed it I think. I mean, I don't know what a reliable automatic transmission even is, but if its anything like the one that was in my '85 it's definitely junk.

Not this weekend but next the team is getting together to hopefully get the engines swapped out, might just swap out the whole subframes if it it's any easier haha. Working on the donor car at least is gross, whole damn engine is caked in oil. You don't realize how big of an inconvenience that is until you start trying to even move around in that area, it's like trying to work around a big chocolate cake covered in frosting.

Also, I fixed my brakes!

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...9#post13157279

Last edited by dwonda; 01-01-2020 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:02 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Hey everyone! It's been a while, so I thought I'd check in and say hello. Things have been moving along with the GTO. While the body work is being worked on, I've been busy refurbishing the frame. I fabricated some steel plates to box in the frame for added strength, then went to town getting it down to bare metal and ready for paint. Took an eternity using an angle grinder with wire wheels and stripping discs. But hey, that's what you get if you don't want to pay for sandblasting.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 02-23-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:19 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Great Job Karl! Ya I recently welded in the reinforcement plates for the subframe in my car and got a taste for taking the frame down to bare metal. I found the wire wheels took incredibly long, but was necessary for more hard to get to spots, the flap discs however were 100% faster at getting that undercoat stuff off. Keep at it!

Old 03-03-2020, 04:13 PM
Hellawut??

Some of you guys know, some of you dont. If you gotta couple minutes please watch my video. its about some stuff ive been going through

Its my first youtube video i have ever made/posted
Old 03-05-2020, 03:41 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Quote:
Some of you guys know, some of you dont. If you gotta couple minutes please watch my video. its about some stuff ive been going through

Its my first youtube video i have ever made/posted
Man Franklyn...

I had no idea, what you've gone through is unbelievable, I think what makes it so unbelievable is just imagining the strength and will necessary to live with it all. My heart aches for you, and I really hope you find what you're looking for. Have you any responses from the video yet?

Also thank you for sharing.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:30 AM
Hellawut??

yeah lots of positivity from the video

Post transplant i plan on traveling around the states, NC is my first stop since my friend just moved there.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:38 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Quote:
yeah lots of positivity from the video

Post transplant i plan on traveling around the states, NC is my first stop since my friend just moved there.
That's awesome! Please let me know when you come so we can get together! I'm in Raleigh area, where is your friend?

Old 03-07-2020, 09:42 PM
Hellawut??

fayetteville. ill be there for a couple of months
Old 03-09-2020, 09:30 AM
D'oh, You Kids!

Swing down through SW Alabama on your trip. I'd love to see you again. Hard to believe it's been 8 years since we all got together in Aberdeen!

I know about kidney problems and the threat of dialysis. I was nearly there twice last year after the cancer surgery. They shut down twice due to septicemia, but miraculously cranked up again before they started the dialysis! And I'm B positive also. Every time I had an operation they had to make sure there was a supply of B positive blood in addition to the universal donor O negative. Hang in there buddy! I'm praying for you!
BMW-CCA #441426

Old 03-14-2020, 05:48 AM
Hellawut??

thanks i appriciate it, i havent been to Alabama. i can probably swing down there. we shall see
Old 03-15-2020, 01:06 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Happy birthday to me. If I'd known I would live this long I'd have taken better care of myself.

Glad to be alive and in relatively decent condition at 69.
BMW-CCA #441426

Old 03-15-2020, 01:59 PM
Hellawut??

Happy Birthday Ken!!! Stay safe.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
damn you chad!

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search