WiFi Hotspot, Anyone Have it? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '17 328dx Wagon
WiFi Hotspot, Anyone Have it?

I'm trying to decide whether I want to add the 6NW Wireless Charging option to my MY17 order, primarily for the 6WD WiFi hotspot capability. It could be a nice convenience, and the fact that you can take it out of the vehicle and along with you is kind of nice too.

Since this is a newer feature, there's not much info out there on it (and even BMW's literature is confusing at best). ATT's connected car page also doesn't even show BMW as having native WiFi available yet.

Does anyone here have this on a MY17 by chance? If so, how do you like it? Also, how much is the data plan and what/how much data do you get with it? Since ATT's website doesn't even have the info, their reps couldn't help me with plan costs when I asked them, and BMW also hasn't given their geniuses the details on it.

The best lead I've been given so far is the Audi pricing, however ATT's plans pricing varies by car brand (Jaguar, Land Rover, and Porsche are more expensive than Audi's plans for the same amount of data). I'd like to be able to see if it'll be worth it to me or not before adding (and paying for) this feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2016, 05:54 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
why is this better than using your phone as a wifi hotspot?

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 09-06-2016, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I dont have it, but remember some people dont know how to use their phone as a wifi hotspot, or cant (because its a corporate phone for example etc).

This also lets you have passengers connect to it (like carpool buddies or something) without having them connect through your phone.

@OP Re: being able to take it out of the car... thats very interesting, I had not heard that before. That actually seems to defeat some of the purpose of this to me. If this is true, then this is no different than buying a wifi hitspot from a carrier and sticking it in the glove compartment.

Are you sure its removable from the car, and usable? I dont know, I am just asking...

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance |blue /blk|Perf. pack|FSD

BMW CCA #477341
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2016, 07:13 PM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
You cannot take the TCB out of the car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I'm trying to decide whether I want to add the 6NW Wireless Charging option to my MY17 order, primarily for the 6WD WiFi hotspot capability. It could be a nice convenience, and the fact that you can take it out of the vehicle and along with you is kind of nice too.

Since this is a newer feature, there's not much info out there on it (and even BMW's literature is confusing at best). ATT's connected car page also doesn't even show BMW as having native WiFi available yet.

Does anyone here have this on a MY17 by chance? If so, how do you like it? Also, how much is the data plan and what/how much data do you get with it? Since ATT's website doesn't even have the info, their reps couldn't help me with plan costs when I asked them, and BMW also hasn't given their geniuses the details on it.

The best lead I've been given so far is the Audi pricing, however ATT's plans pricing varies by car brand (Jaguar, Land Rover, and Porsche are more expensive than Audi's plans for the same amount of data). I'd like to be able to see if it'll be worth it to me or not before adding (and paying for) this feature.

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 09-06-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Are you sure its removable from the car, and usable? I dont know, I am just asking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
You cannot take the TCB out of the car...
This video from CES shows you can (1:15mark)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
@OP Re: being able to take it out of the car... thats very interesting, I had not heard that before. That actually seems to defeat some of the purpose of this to me. If this is true, then this is no different than buying a wifi hitspot from a carrier and sticking it in the glove compartment.
When it's plugged into the car it's supposed to use an external antenna on the vehicle for better signal.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 09-06-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:09 AM

That is not the new wireless charging with WiFi Hotspot option, that is the old accessory Hotspot.

Quote:
This video from CES shows you can (1:15mark)...

When it's plugged into the car it's supposed to use an external antenna on the vehicle for better signal.

www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 09-07-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That is not the new wireless charging with WiFi Hotspot option, that is the old accessory Hotspot.
So, even though BMW shows a picture of this on the connected drive page it's not actually what it shows/says it is???

Here's the pic they have under "BMW Car Hotspot LTE"

And the description for it:
Quote:
With the BMW Car Hotspot your passengers can also surf the Internet with their smartphones, tablets or laptops at any time during the journey. Installation of the hotspot is quick and easy thanks to the snap-in adapter in the central armrest. Up to eight devices can receive high-speed Internet at the same time with the new LTE (long-term evolution) wireless communication standard. Wi-Fi in your BMW permits faster data transfer, improved reception, reduced electromagnetic radiation and extended battery life. It can also be used outside of the vehicle for up to 30 minutes.
That's the page the BMW genius sent me to when I asked them about this feature. If this is all for an "old" version, where's the documentation for the "new" version? I think you can see why I'm confused about all this...

Last edited by FaRKle!; 09-07-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:04 AM

6NW eliminates the old 6NS Smartphone Integration baseplate and replace it with a sliding-tab plate -you place your phone in that plate and the sliding-tab keeps it in place while charging. No more smartphone-dedicated snap-ins.

The BMW Car Hotspot LTE unit shown in your picture snaps into the old 6NS smartphone integration baseplate (notice the eject button).

Quote:
So, even though BMW shows a picture of this on the connected drive page it's not actually what it shows/says it is???

Here's the pic they have under "BMW Car Hotspot LTE"

And the description for it:

That's the page the BMW genius sent me to when I asked them about this feature. If this is all for an "old" version, where's the documentation for the "new" version? I think you can see why I'm confused about all this...

www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]

Last edited by Technic; 09-07-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 340 Xdrive Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
In theory it will provide better service due to the external amplifier, dedicated power supply. Most people don't realize cel phones make several tradeoffs because they need to run on batteries and be a "jack of all trades" if you will.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search