535d N57 EGR/SCR/DPF Delete - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-11-2019, 10:44 AM
delviacv2 delviacv2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Milford, PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 163
Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d & 2011 x5 35d
535d N57 EGR/SCR/DPF Delete

Hello, I have successfully Deleted my 2015 535d, I gutted the DPF and the SCR AND removed both EGRīs completely also removed the swirl flaps and DEF tank, cleaned my intake manifold and walnut blasted the cylinder head.
The Tuning was done by DUDMD.
I'm going to cover mostly the Removal of the EGR coolers and the coolant lines, since I couldn't fine any info online, the rest was gutting the DPF and SCR there is lots of info online, there is no need to remove the engine mount to replace the DPF unlike the 335d.

Took a lot of research but it went flawlessly, ordered 2 different EGR delete kits on eBay but they don't exactly fit a US car.
First I ordered this kit.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F173729214904

This is what comes with the kit:



It looked good until I realized that there is not cover/plate for the intake manifold.



Also there is not plug for the cylinder head coolant port.

Then I ordered this kit.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F183636957862



This kit does have the needed cover for the intake manifold pipe mention above also has the plug for the water pump port and the cylinder head port Kind of ***
So this cylinder head port cover is not perfect fit, the plug is very short, although I could of make it work using one of the longer machined plugs from the first kit I ordered but instead I used a hard plastic OEM plug that I seen online while browsing pictures of N57 Cylinder heads, I was a little worry because nothing holds this OEM plug in place other than the 2 -O rings, but it has been there for couple thousand miles now with no issues and it was $4.76
Part number 11-71-8-518-878
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...20-11718518878



So Now since I want it to remove both EGR's I need a different block off plate to go on the exhaust manifold, I contacted Sebastian Work shop the seller of the kit, and he had the block off plate built for me and that worked great! After that he post it for sale of eBay so now you can get it from him or have a machine shop make one for you.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F183805112344



Now on to to the EGR Cooler hoses/lines:
There is 2 hoses that come off the big hose tree right off the water pump, a feed and a return, it goes to the small EGR cooler (Attached to the exhaust Manifold), from there it T off to engine block and it goes to the Urea Injector and back to the water pump tree



This is the coolant tree after I capped the 2 lines with this 2 OEM blind caps
17-12-8-515-062 $5.98
11-53-1-436-850 $5.93
It already had 2 caps in place, I removed the 2 hoses and added 2 new caps.


Now the Connection to the engine block:
This line needs to be removed and there is a OEM bolt and sealing washer that goes on its place, the block actually has threads for this already!
Water Plug: 07-11-9-904-539 $1.67
Sealing Washer: 07-11-9-963-225 $0.40
Have your bucket ready to collect coolant when you disconnect this hose



That take care of the coolant lines, it took a gallon of coolant to refill on my car.
All the vacuum lines can be disconnected and capped at the source(driver side by oil
deep stick)
DUDMD took care of the tuning, the car runs very strong and smooth, there is visible smoke at WOT but I'm ok with that, I left the DOC in place to help with the smell.
Here is all the parts that I removed






This is what it looks like, she's all stock
__________________
2015 535d Xdrive M Sport Alpine White
Fully Deleted
DUDMD Stage 2
xHP Transmission Flash
2014 X5 50i M Sport
BM3 Stage 1

Last edited by delviacv2; 06-12-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 06-11-2019, 10:54 AM
delviacv2 delviacv2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Milford, PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 163
Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d & 2011 x5 35d
Does anybody know how to make this pictures smaller
__________________
2015 535d Xdrive M Sport Alpine White
Fully Deleted
DUDMD Stage 2
xHP Transmission Flash
2014 X5 50i M Sport
BM3 Stage 1
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-11-2019, 07:44 PM
DESwiss DESwiss is offline
Registered User
Location: Delaware
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 56
Mein Auto: 2014 535d xDrive
So what advantages does this give you? Was your DPF clogged and rather than replace it for $$$ you decided to delete?


Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:39 AM
delviacv2 delviacv2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Milford, PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 163
Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d & 2011 x5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESwiss View Post
So what advantages does this give you? Was your DPF clogged and rather than replace it for $$$ you decided to delete?


Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
My DPF was not clog yet, But I do not want all the crap to continue clogging my intake manifold/ cylinder head, this is what it looked like


__________________
2015 535d Xdrive M Sport Alpine White
Fully Deleted
DUDMD Stage 2
xHP Transmission Flash
2014 X5 50i M Sport
BM3 Stage 1
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2019, 09:47 AM
jck66 jck66 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT, USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 276
Mein Auto: 2014 535d
Thanks for sharing your photos and process with the group.

Regarding the EGR delete: This a dumb question based in laziness (i.e. it seems like what you did was a lot of work) but would you not have accomplished the same goal by having the tuner program the EGR valves to be closed all the time?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-14-2019, 08:44 AM
delviacv2 delviacv2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Milford, PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 163
Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d & 2011 x5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck66 View Post
Thanks for sharing your photos and process with the group.

Regarding the EGR delete: This a dumb question based in laziness (i.e. it seems like what you did was a lot of work) but would you not have accomplished the same goal by having the tuner program the EGR valves to be closed all the time?
Hello, there may be software way to do it, but EGR coolers have always been problematic, there some cases of fire.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...r-recall.shtml

also sometimes the piping start leaking and turn the entire engine bay in to a soot basket (this happened to my E70 35d).

in some cases (ford Power stroke) the EGR coolers crack internally and it dumps coolant in to the intake manifold and hydrolock the engine

so I hate them and I preffer to have them removed completely.

There is other ways to do it, some people block the EGR on both sides etc.
__________________
2015 535d Xdrive M Sport Alpine White
Fully Deleted
DUDMD Stage 2
xHP Transmission Flash
2014 X5 50i M Sport
BM3 Stage 1
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:57 AM
Bolosman Bolosman is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 77
Mein Auto: F01 740d M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by delviacv2 View Post
Hello, there may be software way to do it, but EGR coolers have always been problematic, there some cases of fire.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...r-recall.shtml

also sometimes the piping start leaking and turn the entire engine bay in to a soot basket (this happened to my E70 35d).

in some cases (ford Power stroke) the EGR coolers crack internally and it dumps coolant in to the intake manifold and hydrolock the engine

so I hate them and I preffer to have them removed completely.

There is other ways to do it, some people block the EGR on both sides etc.
Good Job done there...I too ripped out the EGR valve and cooler, removed the swirl flaps and had the engine intake cleaned and valves walnut blasted. The walnut blasting has made the car run so much smoother and increased the MPG by a few. Plus i now know that there is no more crap going through the intake system.

Not removed the DPF yet though as it's in a healthy state.

the only 2 things i need to find which did not come as part of my specific EGR delete kit are a plug that will fit the inlet manifold and also a plug that will fit the cylinder head so that i can remove that one last pipe that is connected to the cylinder head and inlet manifold.

Last edited by Bolosman; 07-12-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added comments
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-12-2019, 03:29 PM
robnitro robnitro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC area
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 539
Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
You just need to plug the side on the exhaust manifold to prevent what delvi said about sooting the bay.
And coolant caps or bypass lines so coolant doesn't go through the cooler.
The egr valve stays shut, no need for a cap on that side. Intake Pressure pushes it harder closed anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-12-2019, 04:08 PM
delviacv2 delviacv2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Milford, PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 163
Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d & 2011 x5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolosman View Post
Good Job done there...I too ripped out the EGR valve and cooler, removed the swirl flaps and had the engine intake cleaned and valves walnut blasted. The walnut blasting has made the car run so much smoother and increased the MPG by a few. Plus i now know that there is no more crap going through the intake system.

Not removed the DPF yet though as it's in a healthy state.

the only 2 things i need to find which did not come as part of my specific EGR delete kit are a plug that will fit the inlet manifold and also a plug that will fit the cylinder head so that i can remove that one last pipe that is connected to the cylinder head and inlet manifold.


Send me pictures of the part you want to delete!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 535d Xdrive M Sport Alpine White
Fully Deleted
DUDMD Stage 2
xHP Transmission Flash
2014 X5 50i M Sport
BM3 Stage 1
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:59 PM
n1das n1das is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,014
Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
Smile

Delvi,

Is that you from TDIclub? N1DAS here from TDIclub. it seems many of us here are former TDI owners.

I don't know how to shrink the pics other than to upload smaller pics to start with. Sorry I can't help more.

Must....resist.....urge....to mod.....my 535dx.
__________________
David Sterrett, N1DAS
2014 F10 535d Xdrive M-Sport
2012 E70 X5 35d

Why DIESEL is better: (from wxmanCCM)
PM - https://sites.google.com/view/lmarzccm/home
Air Toxics - https://sites.google.com/view/loren-marz-ccm/home
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home

Last edited by n1das; 07-12-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-13-2019, 09:24 AM
delviacv2 delviacv2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Milford, PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 163
Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d & 2011 x5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
Delvi,

Is that you from TDIclub? N1DAS here from TDIclub. it seems many of us here are former TDI owners.

I don't know how to shrink the pics other than to upload smaller pics to start with. Sorry I can't help more.

Must....resist.....urge....to mod.....my 535dx.
Yes David, I left the TDI but never left Diesels
Mod your 535d then we can go and put the Segway on the Dyno again
Untitled by Delvi acevedo
__________________
2015 535d Xdrive M Sport Alpine White
Fully Deleted
DUDMD Stage 2
xHP Transmission Flash
2014 X5 50i M Sport
BM3 Stage 1

Last edited by delviacv2; 07-13-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-16-2019, 12:33 PM
Bolosman Bolosman is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 77
Mein Auto: F01 740d M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by delviacv2 View Post
Send me pictures of the part you want to delete!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is Pipe number 6 in the below link...I can get a blank for the end of the pipe that connects to the plastic inlet manifold but not sure if the number 7 end of the pipe in the below link needs blanking off too as this end connects to the cylinder head?

Thanks

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...59#11617807481
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-16-2019, 12:47 PM
delviacv2 delviacv2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Milford, PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 163
Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d & 2011 x5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolosman View Post
It is Pipe number 6 in the below link...I can get a blank for the end of the pipe that connects to the plastic inlet manifold but not sure if the number 7 end of the pipe in the below link needs blanking off too as this end connects to the cylinder head?



Thanks



https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...59#11617807481


This kit has it.


https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F173741610490


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 535d Xdrive M Sport Alpine White
Fully Deleted
DUDMD Stage 2
xHP Transmission Flash
2014 X5 50i M Sport
BM3 Stage 1
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM
Bolosman Bolosman is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 77
Mein Auto: F01 740d M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by delviacv2 View Post
This kit has it.


https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F173741610490


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for that...I've had a look at the kit and I can't see a round bung that would fit into the cylinder head. The only one they show fits into the inlet manifold...I have messaged the seller through ebay to confirm if they do one, so will see what the response is.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM
delviacv2 delviacv2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Milford, PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 163
Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d & 2011 x5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolosman View Post
Thanks for that...I've had a look at the kit and I can't see a round bung that would fit into the cylinder head. The only one they show fits into the inlet manifold...I have messaged the seller through ebay to confirm if they do one, so will see what the response is.


They will make it for you if they don't have it, they made one for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 535d Xdrive M Sport Alpine White
Fully Deleted
DUDMD Stage 2
xHP Transmission Flash
2014 X5 50i M Sport
BM3 Stage 1
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM
jfxogara jfxogara is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington, D.C.
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 180
Mein Auto: 2011 335d, 2009 G650-GS
Excellent writeup thanks.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.