oxygen sensor 92 525i - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 05-27-2004, 12:47 AM

Mein Auto:
oxygen sensor 92 525i

need to change it. any recommendations which one to get, where, and how much $? where is it located and how hard? any help is greatly appreciated!

edwin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2004, 07:36 AM
"I'll drive!"

Send a message via AIM to fixdaserver
Mein Auto: '98 540i/6
Easy. Use Bosch. Not sure if the E34 92 has both pre and post. Either way, look immediately before and after the cat. 22mm open end wrench most likely is the tool required.
CDV deleted

Retired:
'90 535i
'92 525
'86 325
'82 Alpina B7 Turbo (633)
'80 320
Old 05-27-2004, 07:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 M3, 2017 X1
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte.../o2_sensor.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2004, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto:
Wow thanks a lot of the info! Can you guys tell me how much the sensor will cost? Also, how do I know if I have an M20 or M50 engine? Thanks again!

edwin
Old 05-27-2004, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 M3, 2017 X1
A 92 525 has the M50. Here's a link to the best E34 5-series forum on the net...

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/
Old 06-20-2009, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto:
'92 525i E34-M50 O2 DIY

Just did an O2 sensor for my daughters 1992 525i at 185165 miles. In this year model car there is only one O2 sensor. We are not the first owners of the car and I think someone had replaced it before. It's about a 30 minute job after you've done it once. It was my first attempt and it took about 45 minutes. Here is the step by step that worked for me. The only spacial tool required is a 22mm O2 removal tool.

1. Connect your code reader and clear the fault code.

2. Be sure the car is cold, or not been run for the day. You will be working around the exhaust system and could burn yourself.

3. Remove the back seat bottom cushion and disconnect the ground side of the battery.

4. Jack up the car so you have access to the bottom center of the exhaust and front left (driver) bottom engine compartment side of the wheel well. I used four jack stands. One at each jack point on both sides of the car.

5. Get under the car and look for the "Y" pipe just forward of the catilatic converter. The O2 sensor is screwed in to the top side of the "Y" pipe. Sandwiched between the drive shaft and the "Y" pipe. When you find it, spray a couple drops of penetrating oil there at the thread point.

6. Follow the wires from the O2 sensor along the bottom frame rail conduit to the where they come out just prior to the cannon plug. The cannon plug is just behind the inside of the front driver side tire and attached to the wheel well.

7. Disconnect the cannon plug. Remove the two 13mm nylon nuts that hold the conduit in place between the cannon plug and the O2 sensor. Remove the wired from the conduit and set the conduit aside.

8. The wires exit the conduit and are held away from the exhaust pipe by two molded in clips in the heat shield just above the exhaust pipe. Use a screw driver to pry the clips open and remove the wire.

9. Slip the 22mm O2 removal tool over the wires and onto the O2 sensor. Laying on your back under the car on the passenger side, the working end of the tool will be pointing at about the 2 o'clock position. There is only about 1/2 inch of working space there for the tool to travel. I used a 3/8" wobbly and a 10" extention and was able to break the sensor free with minimal effort. Once it was free, I was able to nuscrew the remaining threads with my fingers.

10. Biggest challenge in the process was getting the new O2 threads lined back up. Once it started back in, it spun in until it was finger tight. Placed the 22mm O2 tool back on the sensor and tapped it tight with the 10" extention and a 16oz. hammer.

11. Re-installed the wires in reverse order to the cannon plug.

12. Attached the cannon plug.

13. Attached the gounnd side of the battery.

14. Started the engine. Fault code remained off. Re-set the onboard clock and date. Took the car off the jack stands and went for a test drive. So far...good.

Total cost of the repair. $106.85usd. $11.95 was for shipping and $18.95 for the tool which i'm sure will get used again. So really it's an amature level repair that, if you can borrow someones O2 tool, will cost you about $75.00usd and 30 minutes of your time. Happy Motoring and thank you all you DIY'rs that have posted how-to's. "B" manuals haven't very helpful as step by step guides.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto:
Any way to get around the code reader step? Because I don't have one to use without spending about 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by skin_air View Post
Just did an O2 sensor for my daughters 1992 525i at 185165 miles. In this year model car there is only one O2 sensor. We are not the first owners of the car and I think someone had replaced it before. It's about a 30 minute job after you've done it once. It was my first attempt and it took about 45 minutes. Here is the step by step that worked for me. The only spacial tool required is a 22mm O2 removal tool.

1. Connect your code reader and clear the fault code.

2. Be sure the car is cold, or not been run for the day. You will be working around the exhaust system and could burn yourself.

3. Remove the back seat bottom cushion and disconnect the ground side of the battery.

4. Jack up the car so you have access to the bottom center of the exhaust and front left (driver) bottom engine compartment side of the wheel well. I used four jack stands. One at each jack point on both sides of the car.

5. Get under the car and look for the "Y" pipe just forward of the catilatic converter. The O2 sensor is screwed in to the top side of the "Y" pipe. Sandwiched between the drive shaft and the "Y" pipe. When you find it, spray a couple drops of penetrating oil there at the thread point.

6. Follow the wires from the O2 sensor along the bottom frame rail conduit to the where they come out just prior to the cannon plug. The cannon plug is just behind the inside of the front driver side tire and attached to the wheel well.

7. Disconnect the cannon plug. Remove the two 13mm nylon nuts that hold the conduit in place between the cannon plug and the O2 sensor. Remove the wired from the conduit and set the conduit aside.

8. The wires exit the conduit and are held away from the exhaust pipe by two molded in clips in the heat shield just above the exhaust pipe. Use a screw driver to pry the clips open and remove the wire.

9. Slip the 22mm O2 removal tool over the wires and onto the O2 sensor. Laying on your back under the car on the passenger side, the working end of the tool will be pointing at about the 2 o'clock position. There is only about 1/2 inch of working space there for the tool to travel. I used a 3/8" wobbly and a 10" extention and was able to break the sensor free with minimal effort. Once it was free, I was able to nuscrew the remaining threads with my fingers.

10. Biggest challenge in the process was getting the new O2 threads lined back up. Once it started back in, it spun in until it was finger tight. Placed the 22mm O2 tool back on the sensor and tapped it tight with the 10" extention and a 16oz. hammer.

11. Re-installed the wires in reverse order to the cannon plug.

12. Attached the cannon plug.

13. Attached the gounnd side of the battery.

14. Started the engine. Fault code remained off. Re-set the onboard clock and date. Took the car off the jack stands and went for a test drive. So far...good.

Total cost of the repair. $106.85usd. $11.95 was for shipping and $18.95 for the tool which i'm sure will get used again. So really it's an amature level repair that, if you can borrow someones O2 tool, will cost you about $75.00usd and 30 minutes of your time. Happy Motoring and thank you all you DIY'rs that have posted how-to's. "B" manuals haven't very helpful as step by step guides.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: '95 540i, '95 525it
Quote:
Originally Posted by E4 View Post
Any way to get around the code reader step? Because I don't have one to use without spending about 150
Yes, in fact the E34 has no connector for an OBD2 code reader. Instead, codes are read through the "stomp test" -- google that term in you want to find out all about it. You clear codes by pressing the accelerator pedal to the floor and holding it there for at least 10 seconds.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search