2011 X5 35D Rail Pressure Issues - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 11 X5 35D; 11 535i xDrive
2011 X5 35D Rail Pressure Issues

Hi Guys,

I'm having issues with my 35D, its going in Limp mode.

Once or twice a day it was going in Limp mode, "Engine Malfunction" light was coming up. This was happening in several scenarios.

1. After driving for couple hours on highway without any lights, it would just come up, especially if there was little uphill. After first light, it would not stop blinking "Engine Malfunction" for next 15-30 mins. Most of the times it was blinking when I would let off throttle to slow down or stop. If I was driving little harder with 2-3.5K RPMs "Engine Malfunction" would go away and car would work fine.

2. Same thing, it last for only 15-30mins, but this time it would happen when driving like a grandma in a city, being gentle with a throttle. Same thing, about 15-30 mins later lights go away and car might drive fine for whole day.

3. I tried third one only twice. When I floored from a stand still, after it switched to 3rd gear, it felt like it choke and "Engine malfunction" came back.

Below are codes I'm getting:
4D16 - DeNOx system efficiency
48A9 - Rail pressure sensor, plausibility
3F31 - Rail pressure sensor signal.

"DeNOx" code sometimes goes away.

Rail Pressure with Carly App is between 300-400bar when idling.

First thing I did, I replaced fuel filter 3 days ago, since I purchased this car 9K Miles ago and I didn't know when it was replaced before. (If it wouldn't help, next I was planning to replace Pressure Sensor and HPFP after this.)

So after replacing fuel filter I felt that car was driving significantly better. I tried all 3 scenarios mentioned above, I was trying really hard for couple hours to make "Engine Malfunction" light come back, tried to drive slowly, hard, do couple 0-60s, everything that was causing limp mode before, but with no luck car was driving perfect and felt waay lighter than before.

But it only last for day and a half Next evening, when i was going home, "Engine Malfunction" came back, but only once and went away in like 10-15 seconds. Car drove fine for another day and half and this morning everything came back as it was before. Light came back, was annoying for like 15-20 mintues, especially when I was letting off throttle, after it went away (As I mentioned, 15-20 minutes later) I drove for another hour with no issues and I'm sure I'll drive fine for whole day.. Only thing I notice is car still feels littlebit heavy as it did before replacing filter. (To be honest, I thought that was the way E70d supposed to drive, now I'm sure its not, cause it was waay better for day and a half during my 10 months/9K miles of ownership)

Now I'm afraid to replace sensor or HPFP for no reason since I have a feeling that there is contamination in a fuel system.

Did research all over forums, google, basically everywhere that I could think of, but no luck, can't find any information on same issue.

What can you guys suggest, any thoughts?

Car has 99K miles and its 2011.

Thank you guys in advance!

Last edited by DDDD; 06-05-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto:
Did you try to replace NOx sensor first?
Old 06-05-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5-User View Post
Did you try to replace NOx sensor first?
Thanks for reply!

NOx sensor was not there in the begining, it was just added recently to those codes.

I forgot to mention, Passive Tank Level Sensor is also down, so BMW is not going to fix NOx under warranty unless I replace Passive Tank by myself which is super expensive, I'm not going to replace full tank and pay 2-3K only because of level sensor.. I'm just filling up DEF more frequently then I would do..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 01:55 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I believe that both my passive tank and NOx sensors are ELW 10Y/120M. Get a second opinion.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
I believe that both my passive tank and NOx sensors are ELW 10Y/120M. Get a second opinion.
Only active tank, not passive one.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:29 PM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
B-ELWR 2018 M57Y SCR Passive Reservoir 10Y/120M dated October 2018. I got mine, too bad to be you!
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:33 PM

I just double checked and only active tank is covered bad luck for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-05-2019, 04:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
Same for my 2011 x5 35d, only active listed not passive. I don't get it.

Check your plug on the rail sensor. Unplug it and spray with contact cleaner, let it drip out, plug it back in again, take it out and put it back. It's in the front of the engine at the end of the rail.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Same for my 2011 x5 35d, only active listed not passive. I don't get it.

Check your plug on the rail sensor. Unplug it and spray with contact cleaner, let it drip out, plug it back in again, take it out and put it back. It's in the front of the engine at the end of the rail.

Thanks for response!

I値l check it tomorrow.

Never thought about this before, last time I filled up DEF in passive tank I spilled a littlebit around and I believe pressure sensor is also located somewhere there.. Maybe DEF damaged it? I値l take a look at it tomorrow and will let you know.

When I check rail pressure with Carly its between 300-400bar. I値l check after cleaning it if it will go up.

By any chance, do you guys know whats ideal rail pressure?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-06-2019, 03:01 AM

Idle should be around 300 bar (or 400, I forget). It goes up with load.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:50 AM
Nuclear engineer

I believe that the Rail Pressure Sensor B2261 is just about centerline near the front on the front end of the fuel rail and under the acoustic cover. Not particularly susceptible to spilled fluids.

DEF is quite benign to electrical components, or do you cover your alternator while filling? I don't but then neither do I spill any without washing up.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
B-ELWR 2018 M57Y SCR Passive Reservoir 10Y/120M dated October 2018. I got mine, too bad to be you!
What year is your X5? how come it is only applicable to certain years?
Old 06-06-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Idle should be around 300 bar (or 400, I forget). It goes up with load.

So its good in my case, its somewhere there..

Old 06-06-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I believe that the Rail Pressure Sensor B2261 is just about centerline near the front on the front end of the fuel rail and under the acoustic cover. Not particularly susceptible to spilled fluids.

DEF is quite benign to electrical components, or do you cover your alternator while filling? I don't but then neither do I spill any without washing up.

Yes I did cover alternator and basically everything, but I spilled a lot..

I did稚 get chance to check it yet, working all day, I値l let you know how it goes.

I read a lot on forums yesterday and now I知 thinking about Injectors.. I have almost same symptoms as other who had bad injectors, but different codes.

I知 afraid to drive it unless I have to cause I have a feeling that it will get me stuck in the middle of street... Its little frustrating..

Old 06-06-2019, 01:06 PM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
I知 thinking about Injectors.. I have almost same symptoms as other who had bad injectors, but different codes.
When you hear hoofbeat symptoms think horses, not zebras.

Diagnostic Trouble Code errors do not indicate a failed part to be changed but indicate a symptom that may be caused by any number of failed components or adjustments to be differentiated among by execution of a BMW Test Planゥ guide through the fault tree.

Consider, you may indeed have an 妬njector code but the cause as well may be the plug at the ECU a meter of wire away.

But I know that you will get more mileage out of thinking about different codes. YMMV

Old 06-06-2019, 04:39 PM

Check your injector balance in ista-d or this app which shows injector balance (see screens)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...w.btool.expert
Old 06-06-2019, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
Given that the symptoms went away (however briefly) by changing the fuel filter suggests to me that a clogging filter was to blame. That they came back a few days later suggests that you may have gotten a tank of really crappy diesel. Diesel, especially if it has any biodiesel in it (and this is not a criticism of biodiesel, I LIKE the stuff), and any water (almost impossible to avoid) can grow algae, and that can clog up a fuel filter fairly quickly. Like within days.

Ten, fifteen years ago, when biodiesel first came on the market, and people (self included) were experimenting with high ratio blends, there were reports of old vehicles suddenly needing replacement fuel filters several times in short order because the different solvent characteristics of bio loosened up crap deposits laid down over years of use of petroleum diesel. Never happened to me, but I heard of it. While you may not have any biodiesel in your system, you could easily have algae, and those buggers are known filter cloggers.

You might want to draw a sample of fuel from your tank and have a look at it. Any trace of cloudiness, and there's a problem.
formerly '69 BMW 2002 and '67 BMW 2000CS
Old 06-07-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Check your injector balance in ista-d or this app which shows injector balance (see screens)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...w.btool.expert

Thanks for response!

Is there any app that does same with iPhone? (I don稚 have android and nobody around me either )

Old 06-07-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael47 View Post
Given that the symptoms went away (however briefly) by changing the fuel filter suggests to me that a clogging filter was to blame. That they came back a few days later suggests that you may have gotten a tank of really crappy diesel. Diesel, especially if it has any biodiesel in it (and this is not a criticism of biodiesel, I LIKE the stuff), and any water (almost impossible to avoid) can grow algae, and that can clog up a fuel filter fairly quickly. Like within days.

Ten, fifteen years ago, when biodiesel first came on the market, and people (self included) were experimenting with high ratio blends, there were reports of old vehicles suddenly needing replacement fuel filters several times in short order because the different solvent characteristics of bio loosened up crap deposits laid down over years of use of petroleum diesel. Never happened to me, but I heard of it. While you may not have any biodiesel in your system, you could easily have algae, and those buggers are known filter cloggers.

You might want to draw a sample of fuel from your tank and have a look at it. Any trace of cloudiness, and there's a problem.

Thank you for response!

That might be case as well. 90% of the time I fill up in same station, close by my house, its Mobil. I致e never put any biodiesel.. I always use either Mobil, BP or Shell, regular diesel.

I値l take a sample from tank to check that as well.

Its been very busy week for me and didn稚 get chance to check anything with car. I値l play with it this Sunday.

So I値l check three things below:
1. Pressure Sensor
2. Injectors if I値l find any app for iPhone other than BTool. (I don稚 have cable to check with Ista-D, only cable I have is for F series with network plug that I was using for my F10, as I know it won稚 work with E70.)
3. Tank, if its dirty. I値l try to take sample from it to take a look.

Thank you guys, I値l let you know how it goes!

Old 06-07-2019, 01:49 PM

No clue about apple, can't stand them, especially how they treat 3rd party repair people. They sue them! They spend more money on lawyers than actual development.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
No clue about apple, can't stand them, especially how they treat 3rd party repair people. They sue them! They spend more money on lawyers than actual development.

I値l try to get cable to check it with Ista-D, couldn稚 find any app on apple..

Old 06-08-2019, 11:50 AM

This car is weird..

Since I opened up this thread I didn稚 get any malfunction message.. Drove couple days already and it doesn稚 feel 塗eavy anymore, as I mentioned in first post...

Drives perfect, pulls perfect, no 摘ngine Malfunction message for these couple days, but I知 sure it will still come back..

For sure it has to do something with fuel filter or rail since it definitely acts different before it did before changing it...

Old 06-27-2019, 03:27 PM

Hey guys,

I didn't get chance to check anything mentioned above, I had some minor health issues. I'll check as soon as I find time (Hopefully this weekend), but what I notice is that in past 10 days car went to limp mode only 3 times, all 3 times was when there was less then quarter in a tank. So I'm thinking that tank is contaminated.

It's been working way better after replacing fuel filter, before I was getting message every day or sometimes even couple times a day...

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you for your help!
Old 07-16-2019, 08:42 AM

So here is 2-3 weeks of observation on these issues.

Whenever tank is full, car drives perfect, no limp mode, no lights and etc. (Filled up 3-4 times in last couple weeks and it was acting same way all 3-4 times..)

As soon as it gets below half a tank, sometimes "Engine Malfunction" warning comes back, only in the morning when car is cold. If I warm it up for around 10 minutes and then I drive off, no lights.

Closer it gets to 1/4 of a tank warning comes more and more frequently. (Mostly in the morning, when car is cold, warm up doesn't help this time.) I didn't try to go below 1/4. After driving for 10-15 minutes light goes off and drives fine for whole day.

As soon as I fill it up, it gives me warning ONLY next morning and thats it, no more warnings till it gets to below 1/2 a tank..

2 days ago I filled up, cleared codes, drove around 110 miles since then and checking codes every day, but "Pressure Sensor" code is not coming back. (I'm sure it will come back once tank is close to 1/4).

Also, one more thing I noticed is that there's some new codes in Carly, I'll list them below.

1. A6E4 - Sensor Tank Links
2. AA0E - Software Reset
3. 9319 - Error Signal Tank Level Raw Data Links

And there was one more last week that I cleared and never came back:

2E3D - Interface EWS DDE.

I'm 90% sure it has to do something with tank, but now I have another problem. I don't know ANY shop around me to whom I can trust to take tank down and clean it, and I don't have driveway or garage to do it myself.. (I don't trust myself either with this kind of work..)

I don't want to take it to dealer and spend million $$$ either... I'm sure they'll quote same amount as car worth itself...

Last edited by DDDD; 07-16-2019 at 08:47 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search