optional service check before first big road trip? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW i3 BEV
optional service check before first big road trip?

I bought my X1 (sDrive) late November and aside from a weekend trip to Palm Springs (from Los Angeles), I've had no longer road trips. I'm coming on 8000 miles now, still a ways from my first warranty service. In a couple weeks I will drive from LA to East Bay (outside San Francisco), about 750 mile round trip. A big part of that is the long and dull Interstate 5 through central California, with sections where not a lot of service is available.

I'm not a good "do-it-yourself-er" when it comes to cars. I was wondering if I should pay for a sort of "service check" on the X1 before the trip. Make sure all fluids are good, tires, brakes etc.

X1 has been great so far. Should I just let it be and see how it does on its first road trip? Would I be wasting money to take it on for a service check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
optional service check before first big road trip?

I would check your Tire pressure, your brake fluid, coolant level, engine oil level, thread depth of the tires.

If those have no issues, the. You are ready for that long trip my friend ~

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-25-2013, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i
I wouldn't worry about it. The likelihood of a problem is very low and frankly your trip isn't that long and you aren't really going anywhere that remote. If there is a problem, you have BMW assist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Had to laugh as I just did the same thing with a 2013 sDrive which I picked up in October. Driving from San Diego area to northern Cali to drop my daughter off to school. I made an apt, said I wanted them to check everything and give the car a good wash. Didn't have any problems scheduling the apt and when I arrived the service guy kind of looked at me funny, so I said that it isn't like I can just pull out the oil dipstick and check the oil, so he laughed and stuck my key fob into some kind of gadget and all the car details came up.....mileage, tire pressure and so on. He said the car looked good, but they would top off all the fluids and wash it. Took about 30 minutes and they did it all with no charge. Whether or not they actually checked and/or added fluids, I have no idea, but like others have said, we do have BMW Assist.

Anyways, took the trip two weeks ago, 900 miles one way, and on they way up the car was FULLY loaded - I think the girl packed up her entire life!!! The car handled like a dream; if I hadn't seen all of her stuff in the back, I wouldn't have known it was there - absolutely no difference in the handling. Took the Grapevine at a consistent 75 or so (except in the construction areas.....) and loved every minute of the drive......even the parts stuck behind feed or onion trucks!

If you can spend a half hour or so at the dealer, then take it in. It is all part of the BMW ownership experience......they will check it out for you and make the car pretty at the same time!

DeeDee

Last edited by skndchanzs; 06-25-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW i3 BEV
Thanks everyone! I know I am being super cautious but it's also my first time with a car with annual service checks. It won't be convenient to take it to Beverly Hills BMW, so I may call South Bay BMW. Since I didn't purchase the X1 from them not sure if they will be offering a free check up, but we'll see.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search