prospective x1 buyer, couple Qs - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-18-2017, 11:28 AM
dougefish dougefish is offline
Registered User
Location: Santa Barbara CA
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xdrive 2.8
prospective x1 buyer, couple Qs

Hi all. Nice forum you got here.

I am considering a '14 X1 xdrive 2.8 for purchase. Former VW sportwagen TDI driver, figure if I am giving up the mileage and the manual I would like some improved power and some RWD bias in return. Would be my first BMW. I really like the look and the handling, big fan of the hydraulic steering. Found one on CarMax with very low miles (10k) and the ultimate package. Interested in forum community feedback on a couple things.

1) General info on the apparent transfer case vulnerability. I am assuming that this would be a very expensive repair if necessary, and even under warranty would be a PITA. Anything to look out for in terms of why certain units are failing and others are not? Any early indicators of problems?

2) Thoughts on what sort of things might be done right out of the gate with this car given its unusual low mileage, fair to assume that it might have sat undriven for an extended period of time. Oil change to get the break-in oil out of there, thinking a brake line flush, but it seems like most of the other fluids have very long service intervals, any benefit to a pre-emptive action on any of this? Thinking a fuel additive (recs?) if there is old gas in there.

3) A lot of people seem to put normal tires on, I would likely do the same as I do a lot of gravel road and winter snow driving and would like to find an AT tire that fits. What do people do for a spare? Just get a small one and stand it up in the back?

4) Any general comments on things to keep an eye out for in the inspection or comments on warranty. Factory warranty will expire next Jan. CarMax offers 5/75k for $2400 (from purchase, not from expiration of factory)- thoughts on value proposition of that offer are appreciated.

In general I think it is a good looking car that is a good fit for my needs and pretty good mix of driving spirit and economy. I'm hopeful to keep it at least to 100k if not more. Good maintenance tips and habits to prevent known BMW bugaboos are welcome.

Cheers all.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-18-2017, 12:35 PM
iamthewalrus iamthewalrus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,154
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
I bought a 2014 xDrive35i CPO with 11K miles on it in January. Not quite apples to apples, but here is my $0.02.

1) The forums have a lot of good info on this. Apparently you're looking for a particular whining sound and then you can have parts replaced with a newer generation that is less likely to fail. The repair may be expensive out of warranty, so factor that into your purchase considerations. Again, lots of threads on this, so I'm not really doing it justice here.

2) Nothing as far as I'm concerned. Just go drive it.

3) I don't love the runflats; there is something about them that doesn't instill the same kind of confidence I had in my old X3 or 330Cic. That said, carrying a spare would eat up a lot of the space in the trunk. So, I just accept the compromise and move on.

4) The only thing that has bugged me on mine is a few squeaks and rattles that I'm going to ask the dealership to look into when I bring it in for service.

-James
Seattle WA

2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i (sport line, loaded) purchased CPO with 11k miles.
2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual, m-sport, loaded) purchased CPO with 9K miles on it and kept for 10 years.
2006 BMW 330Ci convertible (manual, sports package, loaded) purchased new and traded 18 months later.
2006 Mini CooperS convertible (manual, sports package, loaded) purchased used and sold 18 months later.
1998 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro (tiptronic, loaded) purchased new and kept for 8 years.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-18-2017, 04:36 PM
dougefish dougefish is offline
Registered User
Location: Santa Barbara CA
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xdrive 2.8
Thank you Mr Walrus.

I think it's time to go find a gravel road and turn the traction control off.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 05-19-2017, 06:03 AM
x1GTA x1GTA is offline
Registered User
Location: ontario
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: x1
The transfer case concerns are mostly related to running different diameters on the front/back. If running stock wheels & tires, not something to be concerned about.

Also, regarding the low miles, I recommend picking up a copy of Carly for BMW and read the engine hours. The low KM may be many many hours sitting in traffic. That leaves only the water pump being something to keep an eye on long term.

Otherwise - quite a reliable car, from everything I can see.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-19-2017, 09:16 AM
iamthewalrus iamthewalrus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,154
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1GTA View Post
I recommend picking up a copy of Carly for BMW and read the engine hours. The low KM may be many many hours sitting in traffic.
Found this post, and it seems to capture the highlights: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...239&highlight=

Thanks!
James
Seattle, WA

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 05-19-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Der_Kommissar Der_Kommissar is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: St. Louis
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 394
Mein Auto: 2015 X1 xDrive 28i
Welcome to bimmerfest! I think the E84 X1 is a great deal ATM, and Carmax is just about the only Non BMW dealer I would buy from. Currently, I do not believe that the factory warranty transfers if you buy from a Non BMW dealer. If so, then I would absolutely get the extra Carmax warranty, as I hear they let you go to a BMW dealer to get the work done. As for the transfer case, I bought my '15 X1 28i with about 9k miles on it, and I had the transfer case replaced at about 18k because I heard an electronic whining when driving at 70 Mph and greater. I had no other symptoms, so I think I had it replaced pretty early. I'm not too worried about it overall. I would not worry about low miles on a BMW. Lots of people lease them on 10k a year contracts and barely drive them. You can ask for a PPI, but I would not think the mileage is unusual.

Double check to see if the factory warranty transfers (I know CPO does not), and post pics!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:36 PM
crankry crankry is offline
Registered User
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 32
Mein Auto: x1 ride kawasaki zx12r
Hi dougefish we bought an 2011 x1 auto 20d xdrive and are very happy with our car runs beautiful super quiet (for a diesel sounds like a petrol engine) no rattles or squeaks very happy with our purchase as for maintain her the best advise I can give is change oil and filter often I change ours every 5000km 3000 miles on all our vehicles cheap insurance and love the steering Craig
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-19-2017, 05:32 PM
x1GTA x1GTA is offline
Registered User
Location: ontario
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: x1
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
Found this post, and it seems to capture the highlights: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...239&highlight=

Thanks!
James
Seattle, WA
Look at e-bay for k-dcan cable. pretty much any one will do (don't spend more than $20USD)
Example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-K-DC...1%26rkt%3D1%26
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-20-2017, 07:09 AM
Vidgamer Vidgamer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orlando
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 144
Mein Auto: X1 sDrive28i
I also bought from Carmax, and BMW did still honor the warranty. In fact, they even gave me "free maintenance" (which amounted to an inspection). When I first got the car, BMW wouldn't see me, I had to have an issue. (I wanted to get it inspected, just-in-case.) I took it by an independent mechanic who, after poking around it for a while, declared it in great condition.

I didn't bother with the extended warranty. Those things make sense if you're afraid that you can't afford the repairs when the time comes. Having bought the car used, but with low miles, I think I'll be able to deal with it... Everybody needs to figure out their comfort level, combined with whatever numbers they have to work with.

I also had a VW TDI. Mileage is crazy on those cars. I was only getting 30mpg or less with these short city-only trips in the VW, where now I'm getting somewhere between 20 and 24. 24 would be OK, but my last tank was... 20. So, glad I'm not driving as much any more, but when I am driving, it's a bit more fun.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-20-2017, 07:20 AM
Vidgamer Vidgamer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orlando
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 144
Mein Auto: X1 sDrive28i
Quote:
Look at e-bay for k-dcan cable. pretty much any one will do (don't spend more than $20USD)
Example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-K-DC...1%26rkt%3D1%26
What software are you using with your cable?

Last edited by Vidgamer; 05-20-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-20-2017, 02:54 PM
JimH46 JimH46 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 304
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
If the previous owner was keeping up with the maintenance (hey, it was free from BMW with the 2014s), it would have have yearly oil changes and a brake fluid flush after two years. So fluids may be OK, but worth doing anyway.

I ditched my run-flats. I carry a 12volt compressor and a plug kit.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-22-2017, 12:04 PM
dougefish dougefish is offline
Registered User
Location: Santa Barbara CA
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xdrive 2.8
Thanks folks for the feedback. Car has arrived at the local dealer, lining up financing today with my bank and maybe heading down on Wed to make it happen. Pretty stoked. Some kinda dark blue with the tan leather, looks sharp. Needs some gear racks and some dust on it.

I found on one of the other forums a guy who lifted his with some eibach springs and got enough space to run some Geolander ATs, but still on 18s I think. If anyone runs on 17s I think it might be a good consideration in order to get a little more sidewall, I'd love to see the pics. Yes I agree, I think the compressor and repair kit is the way to go.

I'll post some pics once I pick it up.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-22-2017, 12:24 PM
DarronS DarronS is offline
Registered User
Location: Castle Rock, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 328i xDrive
I would pass on the CarMax warranty. I used to be a service coordinator at a Volvo dealer and yes, CarMax would allow customers to take their cars to us for repair but they insisted we install used parts. That warranty isn't such a good deal when you replace a failed turbo with a used one. One customer had his transmission fail 5,000 miles before the warranty ended and had to wait a couple of weeks while we found a used transmission. Another had an ABS sensor fail, and our service manager flat refused to install a used sensor for liability reasons. CarMax finally relented. If these people had bought CPO Volvos or the Volvo extended warranty they would have received new replacements with no questions asked.

Last edited by DarronS; 05-22-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-23-2017, 02:37 PM
Vidgamer Vidgamer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orlando
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 144
Mein Auto: X1 sDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarronS View Post
I would pass on the CarMax warranty. I used to be a service coordinator at a Volvo dealer and yes, CarMax would allow customers to take their cars to us for repair but they insisted we install used parts. That warranty isn't such a good deal when you ....If these people had bought CPO Volvos or the Volvo extended warranty they would have received new replacements with no questions asked.
Good to know. Funny, they didn't tell me that at CarMax. Curiously, it technically isn't a "CarMax" warranty -- it's set up through a 3rd party. If I get, for example, a Volvo extended warranty, is it still from Volvo or a 3rd party?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-23-2017, 02:40 PM
DarronS DarronS is offline
Registered User
Location: Castle Rock, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 328i xDrive
Volvo's extended and CPO warranties are direct from Volvo. After working in the Volvo dealer's service department there is no way I'd waste my money on a third-party warranty. The fine print gives them too many ways out of honoring the warranty (on some, not all) and from my experience they do everything they can to save themselves money instead of taking care of their customers.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-23-2017, 05:44 PM
woodman411 woodman411 is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 sdrive28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougefish View Post
Hi all. Nice forum you got here.

I am considering a '14 X1 xdrive 2.8 for purchase. Former VW sportwagen TDI driver, figure if I am giving up the mileage and the manual I would like some improved power and some RWD bias in return. Would be my first BMW. I really like the look and the handling, big fan of the hydraulic steering. Found one on CarMax with very low miles (10k) and the ultimate package. Interested in forum community feedback on a couple things.

1) General info on the apparent transfer case vulnerability. I am assuming that this would be a very expensive repair if necessary, and even under warranty would be a PITA. Anything to look out for in terms of why certain units are failing and others are not? Any early indicators of problems?

2) Thoughts on what sort of things might be done right out of the gate with this car given its unusual low mileage, fair to assume that it might have sat undriven for an extended period of time. Oil change to get the break-in oil out of there, thinking a brake line flush, but it seems like most of the other fluids have very long service intervals, any benefit to a pre-emptive action on any of this? Thinking a fuel additive (recs?) if there is old gas in there.

3) A lot of people seem to put normal tires on, I would likely do the same as I do a lot of gravel road and winter snow driving and would like to find an AT tire that fits. What do people do for a spare? Just get a small one and stand it up in the back?

4) Any general comments on things to keep an eye out for in the inspection or comments on warranty. Factory warranty will expire next Jan. CarMax offers 5/75k for $2400 (from purchase, not from expiration of factory)- thoughts on value proposition of that offer are appreciated.

In general I think it is a good looking car that is a good fit for my needs and pretty good mix of driving spirit and economy. I'm hopeful to keep it at least to 100k if not more. Good maintenance tips and habits to prevent known BMW bugaboos are welcome.

Cheers all.
Would you like me to post Mike Miller's recommended maintenance schedule? I highly recommend reading the entire document, Mike Miller is featured in the tech column for Bimmer magazine.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-23-2017, 05:57 PM
DarronS DarronS is offline
Registered User
Location: Castle Rock, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 328i xDrive
Woodman411, I'd like to see that. After putting 8,000 miles on my X1 in three months I'm convinced it will be very hard to find a replacement that drives as well. I'd like to keep it running reliably as long as possible.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-23-2017, 06:17 PM
woodman411 woodman411 is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 sdrive28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarronS View Post
Woodman411, I'd like to see that. After putting 8,000 miles on my X1 in three months I'm convinced it will be very hard to find a replacement that drives as well. I'd like to keep it running reliably as long as possible.
Attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW_2014 X1_ServiceRecommended_By_BimmerMagTech.pdf (790.9 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-23-2017, 10:00 PM
DarronS DarronS is offline
Registered User
Location: Castle Rock, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 328i xDrive
Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-24-2017, 08:34 AM
dougefish dougefish is offline
Registered User
Location: Santa Barbara CA
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xdrive 2.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarronS View Post
I would pass on the CarMax warranty. I used to be a service coordinator at a Volvo dealer and yes, CarMax would allow customers to take their cars to us for repair but they insisted we install used parts. That warranty isn't such a good deal when you replace a failed turbo with a used one. One customer had his transmission fail 5,000 miles before the warranty ended and had to wait a couple of weeks while we found a used transmission. Another had an ABS sensor fail, and our service manager flat refused to install a used sensor for liability reasons. CarMax finally relented. If these people had bought CPO Volvos or the Volvo extended warranty they would have received new replacements with no questions asked.
I called around to a couple BMW dealers in my area and talked to their service managers, asked how they felt about the CarMax warranty and whether they ever had issues getting paid or approving work, or felt pressure to use non-OEM or used/reconditioned parts. They all said no, that it was a good warranty and that they had no reservations.

Not disputing your experience, but maybe the warranty has changed hands since then? I am sure you are right that it is hosted by a 3rd party.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-24-2017, 08:36 AM
DarronS DarronS is offline
Registered User
Location: Castle Rock, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 328i xDrive
I'd take their word for it. Maybe the CarMax warranty has changed, or maybe it is different when working with BMW service departments. Great idea calling around and gathering information.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-24-2017, 08:43 AM
dougefish dougefish is offline
Registered User
Location: Santa Barbara CA
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xdrive 2.8
Man oh man. I stopped by a dealer to look at a '14 x35 yesterday with only 11k miles. It was new on the lot and "being conditioned," but the salesman showed it to me anyway. I cannot imagine how a car could get so disgusting in eleven thousand miles. Just stained, covered in sticky goo, little curly dark hairs in all the little corners and nooks, smelled stale. They had the whole center console disassembled and it looked like someone had spilled a quart of chili down into the workings of the shift lever and nav menu toggle. This is not the car I was considering, just comparison shopping, but hooo boy was that ever an object lesson. People are gross.

Then I went and saw "my" x28 and it was beauuuuutiful. Closing the deal this week. I'm sure this one was in great shape at the auction and always kept immaculate.... Right?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-24-2017, 12:41 PM
jinda's Avatar
jinda jinda is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 214
Mein Auto: 2013 X1 xDrive35i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougefish View Post
Man oh man.
Yeah, I dont get it why they let that happen to their X1
You should at least test drive a 35xi though. Power is significantly different than 28xi.
__________________
2013 X1 x35i M Sport
Past:
2011 Mazda CX7 AWD Sport
2004 BMW 330i ZSP/ZPP
2008 Hummer H3
2005 Honda Civic VTi
1997 Honda Civic ESi
1996 Nissan Sentra SS EXi

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-26-2017, 04:36 PM
wunderkind wunderkind is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 179
Mein Auto: 330ci, MZ3, X1, 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougefish View Post
Man oh man. I stopped by a dealer to look at a '14 x35 yesterday with only 11k miles. It was new on the lot and "being conditioned," but the salesman showed it to me anyway. I cannot imagine how a car could get so disgusting in eleven thousand miles. Just stained, covered in sticky goo, little curly dark hairs in all the little corners and nooks, smelled stale. They had the whole center console disassembled and it looked like someone had spilled a quart of chili down into the workings of the shift lever and nav menu toggle. This is not the car I was considering, just comparison shopping, but hooo boy was that ever an object lesson. People are gross.

Then I went and saw "my" x28 and it was beauuuuutiful. Closing the deal this week. I'm sure this one was in great shape at the auction and always kept immaculate.... Right?
Probably used for a Pr0n shoot?
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.