Potential F32 Owner - Need Advice - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 525ix
Potential F32 Owner - Need Advice

Its been a while since I posted anything on the forums here haha but I am glad to be back.

Somewhat a long read, if you dont want to read everything, just look for the questions that are in bold.

Just a quick run down to show you where Im coming from. I owned a E34, E39, a 2010 Mazda 3 hatch and currently own a 2006 525xi E60 and I own a 1991 850i (E31) which is my project/rescue. I am a BMW guy, as well is my dad, and we do most maintenance ourselves on our cars. I also graduated college a little over a year ago and I have a steady full time job that pays decently and I paid off my school loans.

Alright, so why am I here and what advice do I need?

Right after I got my diploma and was finishing my internship (it ran about 2.5 months past graduation) I was a already planning on getting a new daily driver. The E60 was a pain to mod because of the N52 engine and being AWD I didnt have much options and I sorta just got bored of it mainly because pretty much everyone around me went turbo or v8. I also wanted to reward myself for graduating college. So I started looking around, I had a E60 but a 535i on my list, a E60 M5, E92/E90 M3, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger, Jeep Grand Cherokee, a F30 335i/xdrive and a E92 335i.

After a while I pretty much shortened this list to a E92 M3, E92 335i Msport (IS versions are hard to find and if anything id would need to go out of state to get one or have it shipped which i dont want to do/I dont have time to), a F30 335 or a F32 435. The BMWs appealed so much more to me.

I found 1 E92 M3 DCT, few 435i xdrive cars, and one really low mileage E92 335i msport.

The E92 M3 is really tempting, but i can see trouble because of the higher maintenance and emergency repair costs and drivablity in the winter. So this car is on the bottom on my list and currently wanting to go test drive one.

The 435i xdrive cars are within my price range and most of them are with msport packages etc. I prefer the coupe over the sedan 335i mainly because of astetics. The only hesitation I have is the xdrive system. I had a lot of trouble trying to modfiy my E60 that was an Xi. Only had 2 options at the time, i really couldnt get the wheels I wanted because of offsets and fitment issues etc. Iv read a little bit that when it comes to Xdrive now, there is a bit more choices for suspension. Which im glad, and on my side, the turbo engine can be modified more when I want more power vs a n/a N52 like i have. So that would keep things interested for me with that car.

Can I get some advice Xdrive models?

-pros and cons of the 435 xdrive that you guys have encountered?
-Some ownership experiences?
-Potential mods?
-Pros and Cons over the RWD model?
-options to look for?

Now for the E92 335i i found, the only downside the interior looks all too familiar haha, feels a little dated. I told myself that if the 435i xdrive feels boring and unexciting vs my E60 i might just opt out for the 335i E92 since I drove a e92 335xi and i enjoyed it (although that one had a N54 engine, the one im looking at has the N55)

A new daily has to happen, as much as I love the 5 series family of cars, I want to try something else. Im finishing up my E31 to a point where ill be able to drive it more frequently now, as well as it can act as my daily when the E60 gets sold. I hoping to take a trip somewhere early August so my ideal time to buy would be after that. If you are wondering why the hell would I want/need 2 coupes? Well I dont have any major responsibilities such as having my own house or having my own family. So bachelor life, thats why. hahaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2017, 05:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 435i w/All M Options
-pros and cons of the 435 xdrive that you guys have encountered?

Xdrive can be a bit of a PIA to work around if you plan to mod the car.

-Some ownership experiences?

Love the F32 2014 435i. Quiet yet fast, esp with Dinan Stage 4 and other bits

-Potential mods?

See my sig file

-Pros and Cons over the RWD model?

Pro, a bit more grip due to Xdrive yet there's a weight penalty.
Con, modding is not as easy with the Xdrive
IF you drive through quite a bit of snow, of course the Xdrive is better.

-options to look for?

M brakes, 704 suspension (or better), MPPK, and other typical options like LED lighting, HUD, etc.

Steven

2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: Honda Accord
I would never buy an AWD BMW sports coupe. YMMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2017, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: X5 350D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stones1970 View Post
I would never buy an AWD BMW sports coupe. YMMV
..... now go tell Porsche to stop making their C4, YMMV( based on skill level)

.... and Ferrari FF, Audi R8, Lamborghini Huracan....
'06 16' Trailer - Porsche Hauler

Last edited by LouZ; 07-20-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:52 AM

Mein Auto: 428i xdrive
i have a 428i xdrive and its great as a daily especially in the rain and snow. Last winter i drive my car through about 8 inches if snow no problem on all seasons. If you live some where that it snows i would defiantly recommend getting an xdrive.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:50 AM
Jayhawk Fan

Mein Auto: 435
I have a 435 xDrive. I have only done a few cosmetic modifications so can't help you there. People love to rip the xDrive on these boards. It makes the car heavier...but it also makes it faster. And it sends power to rear wheels the majority of the time. It's not a 1987 Ford 4X4.

I haven't had any issues with my car. I actually just bought it off lease because I like it so much. My sig has the options on mine.

Like all used cars, make sure you have money in the budget for preventative maintenance and brakes, tires, etc...thinks you know will need to be replaced. Outside of warranty, I use an independent BMW mechanic for maintenance.

Previous: 2003 540 Touring; 2001 740 Sport; 2004 330 Convertible; 2003 X3 (ED); 1998 323 Convertible

BMW CCA: 162191

Old 07-21-2017, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouZ View Post
..... now go tell Porsche to stop making their C4, YMMV( based on skill level)

.... and Ferrari FF, Audi R8, Lamborghini Huracan....
Well, to the first part of your post ... according to my needs and according to my situation I see not just very little, but flat-out no use whatsoever for AWD Porsche. See? Not all of us have same needs and same situation. I have to say that I am very glad that Porsche allows a CHOICE for some 911s, just like BMW allows a CHOICE for F32 - they should both be praised for it.

To the second part of your post, I am not really sure how much of that (AWD only) is a necessity, not just a superior setup. Way too much power to release to the ground using only two wheels when you consider it will be going into hands of those who were elected for that role only by the depth of their wallet and with no consideration whatsoever regarding their driving skills. Believe me, Lewis Hamilton can do whatever he wants with any of those using RWD. Even in snow, just slap some DOT-not-approved Chinese all-seasons on them.

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]

Last edited by Mark K; 07-21-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Well, to the first part of your post ... according to my needs and according to my situation I see not just very little, but flat-out no use whatsoever for AWD Porsche. See? Not all of us have same needs and same situation. I have to say that I am very glad that Porsche allows a CHOICE for some 911s, just like BMW allows a CHOICE for F32 - they should both be praised for it.

To the second part of your post, I am not really sure how much of that (AWD only) is a necessity, not just a superior setup. Way too much power to release to the ground using only two wheels when you consider it will be going into hands of those who were elected for that role only by the depth of their wallet and with no consideration whatsoever regarding their driving skills. Believe me, Lewis Hamilton can do whatever he wants with any of those using RWD. Even in snow, just slap some DOT-not-approved Chinese all-seasons on them.
My comment was simple... the OP asked for ADVICE, he gets "I would never buy an AWD BMW sports coupe." with no explanation of the "reason"! That's all! His implication is that no sports car should ever come with AWD. Maybe the OP will drive a lot in the rain, snow, or other conditions where an AWD would afford a better comfort level for his unique situation.

I note that you have a Cayman. I DE my C2 (not a C4) and I prefer the racing dynamics of my C2, it's more visceral than all of the "band-aids" on newer ones, like active suspensions and torque vectoring. I also praise Porsche in offering the variations so as to perfectly match their car to the driver's needs and wants when they decide exactly what "YMMV" means to them.

Last edited by LouZ; 07-21-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
My comment was simple... the OP asked for ADVICE, he gets "I would never buy an AWD BMW sports coupe." with no explanation of the "reason"! That's all! Maybe the OP will drive a lot in the rain, snow, or other conditions where an AWD would afford a better comfort level for his unique situation.
Seems to me I said the same thing. It will always depend on one's situation and needs - may God keep blessing Porsche and BMW for giving that choice to customers.

Quote:
I note that you have a Cayman. I DE my C2 (not a C4) and I prefer the racing dynamics of my C2, it's more visceral than all of the "band-aids" on newer ones, like active suspensions and torque vectoring. I also praise Porsche in offering the variations so as to perfectly match their car to the driver's needs and wants when they decide exactly what "YMMV" means to them.
Preach, brother. I will always envy lufgekuehlt people, especially after hearing them side to side with wassergekuehlt. However, I wasn't rich enough to afford one. Tell you what ... as soon as I win the lottery, I will place a very nice offer for your 964 and then ask Singer to make it new for me to my spec. Deal?

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

Old 07-21-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Seems to me I said the same thing. It will always depend on one's situation and needs - may God keep blessing Porsche and BMW for giving that choice to customers.

Preach, brother. I will always envy lufgekuehlt people, especially after hearing them side to side with wassergekuehlt. However, I wasn't rich enough to afford one. Tell you what ... as soon as I win the lottery, I will place a very nice offer for your 964 and then ask Singer to make it new for me to my spec. Deal?
NO DEAL! It's my coffin!
Old 07-21-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
NO DEAL! It's my coffin!
Oh, OK, then - can't mess with man's coffin!

Anyhow, that last part was also to say that there is nothing left in current Porsche lineup I would aspire to buy new. OK we could argue about GT cars and their still-NA engines and MT, but not without a lottery win. And with a lottery win, Signer re-imagined 964 looks sooooo much better than 991.2 and it comes with luftgekuehlt engine!

Last edited by Mark K; 07-21-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:19 PM
False Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2018 440xi. 2017 X128xi
I don't have a Porsche, but I did have a 2014 435xi for three years and 45,000miles. And while I'm not an automotive expert, I do occasionally play one on the Internet (what hath you wrought Al Gore?).

The 435 was comfortable, capable, reliable, dependable, and somewhat sterile and detached.

The engine and 6mt are smooth and effortless almost to a fault. Same with cornering. The car was quite capable on twisty roads, but it was somewhat arcade like. There was very little sensation of how hard you were pushing it and where the edge might lie.

I attribute most of this to the VSS which was part of the DHP. This is the tough part because with the xdrive you need MAdaptive Suspension if you have any sort of sporting intentions.

Regardless of weather or road conditions the car was remarkably consistent and unflappable.

Only deep snow where the front spoiler functions as a plow (this is not fun) proved a challenge. On ice and snow with proper tires, you have to turn off the electronannies and deliberately provoke the car to make it slide.

It was a very good car and I never tired of it, although I like the new one quite a bit more.

jummo
Old 07-22-2017, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 525ix
I live in Illinois, i dont know how long ill stay here. The next car I get it will be for at least the next 5 years. So xDrive isnt a must, iv owned 2 other BMWs with RWD and they did fine on All Season Tires.

Most F32 cars that most cars within my price range are xDrive models. All the RWD models are about 3-4 grand more. Of course I do not want to settle for a sport or base model, Msport is a must. My only hesitation that the xDrive models dont have the msport suspension and to solve that Im going to have to go through all the crap I did with my 525xi. Granted that was a 5 series so aftermarket is very small to begin with and I have no idea if there are coilovers or multiple spring options for the car. I know Dinan makes some and H&R but after driving on H&Rs for 3 years on the 525xi i dont think ill be getting H&Rs for any AWD BMW ever. ride got too bouncy, you get used to it, but then if you are driving people you can feel it.

Im not looking to track the 4 series just an occasional spirited cruise, maybe way down the line when its close to being paid off. I will mod the car either way. Like i said its going to be a fun daily. Now that its summer iv been driving the 850 around, and that being heavy and slow compared to todays cars, its a fun car. I always like classic BMWs, I learned how to drive stick on a 1991 BMW E30 318is and that car was the best manual car iv driven, 2nd best was a 540 E34 6 speed. I drove a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 and that was weird, didnt like it. I havent really owned a manual car to daily since day to day driving for me paddles would be good enough, plus im planning on maybe getting a E30 in stick down the road or maybe convert the 850 to a manual if i can source out parts and money lol.

Im also considering a F10 535i msport. Really wanted a 550i but those motors are terrible when it comes to maintenance and reliability.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search