Official Claying Tips and Tricks: Share your techniques here! - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 325Ci 5281
Dad

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 98 e39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArjanRDC View Post
Heres a blog post I created about clay bars and how to use them a couple months back.

http://www.royaldetailclub.com/every...out-clay-bars/

--------------------------

A clay bar is typically made of synthetic clay that allows the user to mold and reuse many times. Clay is used to remove surface contaminants that have stuck to the paintwork and the glass, and cannot be removed any other way. Some examples of the contaminants are: brake dust, paint overspray, industrial fallout, tree sap etc.

When you glide your hand along the surface of the paint, your hand will either glide across smoothly, or it will be interrupted along the way by little bumps on the surface. Those bumps are the contaminants that the clay bar removes. Clay bars will not remove rock chips, scratches, water spots, swirls or etched in bug remnants. Basically anything on the surface of the paint will be removed, but anything that has found its way under the clear coat must be removed with polishing.

Using a clay bar is an excellent way to insure a deep shine in your cars paint. We recommend clay barring every six months to ensure that smooth-as-glass feel.

Below is my 9-step technique for using a clay bar on a freshly washed vehicle from start to finish.

First make sure that you need to clay bar your car. With a freshly washed car, put a sandwich bag over your hand and run it along the paintwork. If it feels gritty or rough, you need to clay bar.

Bring your car into shade and make sure it is completely dirt free. Cut your clay bar into three separate sections. Now you have 3 separate clay bars just in case you drop one (NEVER re-use a clay bar after it has fallen on the ground).

Knead the clay bar with your fingers, and flatten it. You’ll want to knead it often as you work different sections of the car.

Work each 1'x1'; panel one at a time. Use a spray clay lubricant (we’ll be using Xipp) to keep the surface properly lubricated. The clay bar needs to glide over the surface. There should be almost no friction.

Using medium pressure work the panel in up and down and side to side in cross hatch motions. The clay bar may grab a little at first when it’s picking up the embedded contaminants, but will begin to slide smoothly on the paint after each swipe. Once the clay bar slides without effort across the panel, its time to switch to a new panel.

Be sure to knead the ball of clay after each panel. This step makes sure that contaminants that were removed from another panel aren’t grinding across a new section, causing scratches.

After each panel is done, wipe clean with a high quality microfiber towel.

Repeat the same steps for rims and glass. (Bonus Tip: Use your “used” clay bars for cleaning rims and glass. Always use a brand new clay bar for your paint).

Once the vehicle is completely clayed, you should place a wax or sealant over the top to keep the paint protected.

Great stuff! Okay so just purchased a 2013 E70. It's white. 1st question; where's the best place to get a clay bar and what am I looking for? Also, after I clay bar the vehicle I will want to wax it-can you recommend some wax brands options and applicators please? TIA!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2019, 11:48 AM
In Heaven

Mein Auto: F10 M5/F02 750/E60 535i
About that gloss... Thanks to my friend Walter!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Walter's Gloss.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	857207  

Mr. 29,000th...
2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ - Daily Driver
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ - Retired
2014 M5 - Toy
2012 750LI - wife car
2011 B7 Retired
2008 535i - now my son's car
2008 335i - lease - returned
2007 750li - retired
2004 545i - retired
1999 Chevy Silverado-retired
1991 Chevy Silverado-retired
1989 GTI-retired
1982 320i - retired
1980 Audi 80-retired
Old 07-07-2019, 05:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xi
Your guidance on using a clay bar is correct. I have added the following. Wash your car and rinse off. Use the soapy water as a lubricant for your clay; it works perfectly and costs nothing. After I have clayed my car, I wash and rinse it again. Now my car is very clean.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:07 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Recognizing that automotive "clay bar" seemed very like plasticine clay to me, I tracked down the ingredients of 3M Perfect-It Clay 38070

>60% Calcium carbonate, chalk, CaCO3. CAS 471-34-1 (Mohs 3 soft very fine abrasive inexpensive filler)

>10% 1-Butene Polymer. CAS 9003-28-5 (polymer known for its tack stickiness)

>0.5% Titanium dioxide TiO2. CAS 13463-67-7. (Coloring)

Modeling clay is sold by the pound.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department
Today's Posts Search