My ED in early Sept.-Please review and comment - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 07-11-2019, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto:
My ED in early Sept.-Please review and comment

First, thank you so much for all those on this forum. I have ordered a 2020 330i to be picked up in Welt early September. Have followed all advice that I got here and so far, so good!

After reading all the posts here, we are thinking about taking Iceland Air and visit Iceland for about 3-4 days, pick up the car then drive through Austria and Switzerland, drop it off in Munich and spend a few days there before heading home.

Thinking about 10 days to drive Munich-Salzburg-Berchtesgaden-Innsbrook-Interlaken and then back to Munich. We are most interested in sceneries and hiking the Swiss Alp. We are allocating 3 days for Salzburg/Berchtesgaden, 2 days Innsbrook and 4 days in Interlaken for hiking around that area plus 1 day driving from Innsbrook to Interlaken--give or take a day or 2.

My question:
1. Is that enough time or should I cut out some place like Innsbrook--We have no particular interest in Innsbrook other than knowing it a nice city in Austria. We can also replace it with something else since we are not crazy about driving in big cities in Europe.
2. Whats the best and scenic route to drive back from Interlaken to Munich? How much time should we allow for stops? And what are the interesting places to stop? Try to avoid big cities.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 320i (F30)
Some may consider Salzburg to be a big city.

The beauty of your own car is that you can develop your own pace. Since it is September, aside from the late September Oktoberfest in Munich, it's less crowded and hotels a little less expensive. On one trip, I didn't have a planned itinerary. I simply stopped in a place and decided in the evening whether I would leave in the morning or stay another day. On another trip, everything was planned out with a tight schedule (with provisions to drop things on the list, if necessary).

I once stopped in Innsbruck for gas and to see a building with Olympic rings on it for 3 minutes so I would say that I didn't deem it worth a visit when I was planning.

I haven't been to Interlaken so I can't give advice on that.
Step by step instructions when a hood release cable needs replacement. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=981724
SIB 11 13 15 oil filter housing for the F30 - metal since mid-2013 and can be retrofitted without charge
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=951692

Last edited by Dave 20T; 07-11-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '16 535xi
I did not find Innsbruck particularly exciting. It's a very nice town, the sort of place that would be great to live in - but is more of an idle ski resort than anything else in the fall (two Winter Olympics). If you decide to drop Innsbruck I would consider driving along the German Alpine Road (Alpenstrasse) to Interlaken. It is not a fast road but it is very scenic. It was built before WWII to attract tourists to Bavaria. You can look at a map of the Alpenstrasse here:
https://www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de/en/home
While you are in the area don't forget that Neuschwanstein Castle (inspiration for Disney's Cinderella castles) is not far off any route from Salzburg to Interlaken.

Keep us posted on your travels.

Last edited by Trinitony; 07-12-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: E60 M5,
Munich to Salzburg is a good idea, spend time in the area. Maybe an afternoon, evening, and the next day for 2 nights is adequate. Then on to Bertschesgaden for another 2 nights. Either the Alpenstrasse, or another route go to Kitzbuhel from Bertschesgaden back roads to Kitzbuhel for a night, hotel preference there is the Tiefenbrunner (we spend a week there every June while competing in the Kitzbuhel Alpen Rallye) or the Zur Tenne, we have used that hotel for short visits on ED's with MB. Then I would take the B roads to Garmisch-Partenkirchen for another 2 nights. Use this as a base to visit Neuschwanstei, Weisekirch, and go up the mountain. If you have a sense of adventure, stay at the Frauendorfer in Partenkirchen (we never miss an opportunity). The city named for the bridge over the Inn River is not worth the visit. After that make your way to Switzerland, consider departing from Zurich for the US as that airport is one of the easiest in Europe to use. If you do, stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel at the airport, super easy for departure from the international terminal (connected) and the "Wine Angels" will entertain you in the evening. The turn in for your car is very close and an easy Uber\Taxi ride back. (5 Minutes max)

M DREI und M FUNF at ElkHart Lake

Current Fleet
14 Audi S4 - Sons daily driver
13 C63 AMG. Coupe Devlpmnt Pkg 12 Sept. ED Delivery
12 K1600 GT One Lap of America-Sold
11 X5d (X Funf) ? PDC Delivery
12 HD FXDC Comfortable Cruiser
05 E500 4Matic ED Delivery
01 M3 (M DREI) Sunny Sunday Service
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
80 Porsche 911 Weissach Edition
72 350 SL Kitzbuhel Rally & Touring Car
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Old 07-14-2019, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto:
Thank you. I am now considering taking the Grossglockner Road. But I am reading that you may need to use engine break going down. So, thias does not sound good to break in the new car. What do you think?
Old 07-15-2019, 03:46 AM

Mein Auto: 435GC, 540i, 325i
I did the Grossglockner when I picked up my 5 series years ago. There are times when you engine brake but there were no issues. You're supposed to vary your revs anyway in the break in period.

Last edited by akthorp; 07-15-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '16 535xi
I agree with M FUNF, a stop to see the interior of Wieskirche is worthwhile - the exterior is underwhelming, but don't let that put you off. You might also consider Ludwig II's Linderhof. It is one of his "homes" that I found to be in a very pretty setting. The home itself is fairly modest by Ludwig's standards,
Old 07-15-2019, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: E60 M5,
No problem with the Grossglockner we did it last year on the Rallye. however do it from south to north. From Berschtesgaden go to Mittersill Austria then south to Lienz and then up the Grossglockner to Kaprun. This will be a full day of driving, but the scenery both south and north will be well worth to time. This part of the world is my summer playground.

M DREI und M FUNF at ElkHart Lake

Current Fleet
14 Audi S4 - Sons daily driver
13 C63 AMG. Coupe Devlpmnt Pkg 12 Sept. ED Delivery
12 K1600 GT One Lap of America-Sold
11 X5d (X Funf) ? PDC Delivery
12 HD FXDC Comfortable Cruiser
05 E500 4Matic ED Delivery
01 M3 (M DREI) Sunny Sunday Service
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
80 Porsche 911 Weissach Edition
72 350 SL Kitzbuhel Rally & Touring Car
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Old 07-16-2019, 04:26 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '19 330Xi M Sport
We did grossglockner on ED several years ago. No problem. Also did Innsbruck. It has it's charms for a small city but I'm not dying to go back.

Entertaining America Since 1975

European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=557294
Current:
G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport
Past:
Alfa Romeo Giulia
E90-335d
BMWCCA #448878

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search