My AC is stuttering and not consistent. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto:
My AC is stuttering and not consistent.

Background: vehicle is a 2011 BMW 750i. 84k miles that's been serviced every year and hasn't given me any problems until this point. I live in Southern California where it is very hot and dry.

Problem: I prefer to have my AC blasting at 60 degrees max AC (I hate the heat and would rather live in the snow -_-) until one day my AC started to stutter. My definition of stuttering is turning on for a period of time and then the AC completely turning off.

It started for very small period of time (maybe 5-6 seconds no AC and would turn on again) but now it's come to the point were my AC will be on for 5 seconds and turn off for 10 seconds. I'm sitting here melting in traffic and I have no idea how to fix it.

I wonder if this is a problem that has occurred with anyone else and it's turned out to be a simple fix or will I have to replace my blower and entire system?

THINGS I'VE TRIED: replaced my relay, replaced the silver box that is connected to relay and blower, replaced control unit. My blower was replaced last year with a brand new one via faulty activity but my warranty is sense out and they won't look to replace it again.

PLS HALP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2018, 06:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 750Li
i haven't seen nothing like that on my car. i also live SoCal( Ventura County). i have AC on 100% of time. even when cold outside. i don't open windows. anyways, with all things already done only thing i see that could be left is temp sensor? if faulty probably act like you describe it. AC on then see bad temp reading and turns off. just throwing out some thoughts.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i x Msport, B&O,
you are unclear if the blower is stopping or the air is no longer cold. if it is the latter you are more than likely low on r134a. did you replace the cabin filters? if there are all clogged up and your blowing on max. The load on the can could be throwing a thermal breaker due to the motor over heating. I always like to start from the cheep stuff when you do not know. Also the car can throw codes but I do not know what aftermarket obd2 scanner looks have the HVAC system.
2010 Infiniti FX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2018, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
If the air stops coming out of the vents you have a faulty blower motor or faulty final stage unit that is attached to the blower motor. The easiest way to find out is to hook up a laptop with ISTA+ to the OBD port and let the software tell you exactly what's wrong. ISTA is freely available and the cable is inexpensive. My blower motor went and the software told me exactly that. Replacement is simple with videos available on YouTube.

Jerry

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search
Old 09-01-2018, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 750i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry 745Li View Post
If the air stops coming out of the vents you have a faulty blower motor or faulty final stage unit that is attached to the blower motor. The easiest way to find out is to hook up a laptop with ISTA+ to the OBD port and let the software tell you exactly what's wrong. ISTA is freely available and the cable is inexpensive. My blower motor went and the software told me exactly that. Replacement is simple with videos available on YouTube.

Jerry

What about a condenser replacement. Had a recent diagnostic that came back with bad condenser. Blows warm air.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

2012 750i M-sport, coded, BMW puddle lights, rear spoiler

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search