Ride Quality? (e38 vs E65 vs s500) - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: das good ya?
Arrow Ride Quality? (e38 vs E65 vs s500)

Hi
I'm new to the board. I am currently driving an E34 5 series but I'm thinking about moving to a 745li. I have been doing alot of research and reading the last 3-4 weeks on various cars including the 7-Series, but I'm not finding much about ride quality. I have driven a few e38's some years back and loved the buttery smooth almost bump free ride, and I was under the impression that the e65/e66 would have a similar ride until I saw this thread:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=334866

We own an E-Class and a C-Class merc as well as the 525i, and I would say that the ride quality is ranked like this:

C-Class
5-Series
E-Class
E38 7-Series

I'm wondering where the E65 ride would fit in there and how the 1999+ S-Class would compare?
Do I need to be looking at an S-Class if I am looking for a more luxurious and quiet ride?

It looks like the stock 18's on the e65 have lower profile tires than the e38's did. I noticed when I test drove a few 7's in the past that the ones with sportier low profile wheel/tire combo's delivered a rougher ride. Could this explain the ride in the E65, and has anyone tried a higher profile tire?

I have also been looked into the LS430 and the A8, but the Lexus seems to bland and Audi seems to sports oriented. I plan to do some test driving shortly, but I would appreciate any input you guys have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 730d, SL 55 AMG
My brother has an w220 s320, and I have an E65 730d, which I bought a few weeks ago. I drive both a lot and can tell you my impressions
Both are good cars, but we both agree that we like the 7 better. Both have almost the same cc engines, as well as, almost the same horsepower.

The 7 is bigger, and has a more aggresive look, and it is sportier than the S class. The S class has a much more softer ride, while the 7 series is a bit more sporty.
The ride quality of the 7 seven is compared to the S is that the suspension of the 7 is stiffer, you feel it more when you hit a hole, not as soft as the S class, but it is definitely far from uncomfortable.
The 7 makes me feel very safe when driving, great sound isolation, the car is quiet.
The S-class is much more softer, but it's too soft IMO, it's more of a boaty ride, I mean you can get a big SUV and the ride will be similar. My brothers S class has a grey interior, and I find the interior boring. Since the S class and the 7 are parked next to eachother, everyone who's stepped in my home and seen the cars, has said that the 7 is a better looking car, I mean everyone, even my brother admitted that he's liking the 7 more than his S class.

The bottom line is, if you're looking for a really soft and comfortable ride, and would like something with conservative styling, go for the S class, it's a nice car.
If you're younger, and you would like something that handles great and is fast, aggresive and spacious , all while providing a smooth ride go for the 7.

I prefer the 7 because I'm 22, the 7 suits me better, it's more of a 'drivers car' than the 7 series, the S class looks like a car that some old guy would drive.

As far the thread you gave a link to is concerned, the guy posting there, might have some suspensions problems, also, I bet he's got 22' rims or something, which is detrimental to ride quality, The 7 feels great with the 19" Rims I have.

Also, there are a few individuals on this forum that are negative and try to stray people away from the 7 mostly by saying something about reliability issues, I'm sure they'll post in this thread, don't let them discourage you

Last edited by 730dMaster; 03-21-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: das good ya?
This is exactly the kind of post I am looking for, thank you.
Do you notice an audible difference in wind/road noise between the S-Class and the 7-Series (besides the infamous sunroof problem)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 730d, SL 55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondheli View Post
This is exactly the kind of post I am looking for, thank you.
Do you notice an audible difference in wind/road noise between the S-Class and the 7-Series (besides the infamous sunroof problem)?
Glad I was able to help you out.

There is a great sound isolation, and there is absolutely no problem with wind noise in my 7, even when I drive it really fast, there's hardly any noise. I have a sunroof, luckily I don't have the sunroof problem (knock on wood).

The S-class also seems to eliminate road noise as well.

So I guess both perform well in that area.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
It really depends on what type of wheels and tires you equip the E65 with. I have had an E38 and three E66's. The E38 had the 16" basket weaves on it and when fitted with Michelin's the quality was very smooth. I have had 18, 19, and 20 inch wheel on my E66's over the years and the higher I went the harsher the ride quality. All this said, BMW is not trying to be the town car of cars in it's class. There is a certain feel from a BMW that you will not get from MB or Lexus, in fact if you are looking for ride quality and no feel for the road, the Lexus is the way to go. It's a Japanese town car, but will not provide the the same experience of the E65/66. In terms of road noise, I think this has to do as much with your choice of skins than anything else. I went on the cheap with the last set of tires I put on my 2002 E66. They were some non name brand off tire rack and they were noticeably louder on the pavement. The E38 probably was the most luxurious ride of all my seven's, but I think this was because of the 16 inch wheels.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2001 530i|745li|2007 750li|2006 750li|2001 530i|2012 535xi|
Old 03-22-2009, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: nj
removed

Last edited by mlovcpa; 03-22-2009 at 05:03 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search