BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

"the way it was punched did not start the clock ticking on the warranty"

2K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  erdoran 
#1 ·
Just heard this from another dealer about another leftover '15. I've asked the dealer to explain. Has anyone ever heard of this? perhaps this would absolve the dealer for that '14 - maybe they were telling the truth??

#6 ·
As far as you're concerned, Specialty 8 cars are the same as any other cars in stock. They have no in-service date and the warranty doesn't start until you take delivery. It counts as a new car when the dealer reports it to the state as sold because that's what it is. Any other "status" is just accounting between the dealer and the manufacturer for the manufacturer's proprietary reasons. Tricky accounting, nothing more.

;)

#10 ·
Not the car I'm looking at that's Spec 8. It's got about 100 miles on it.

Interesting how to value a Spec 8 2014, too!! No new car values that I can find, it isn't really "used" in that it's an A title and has been sitting on the dealer's lot for 2 years. The closest I can come is KBB used, putting in 100 miles, dealer sale, CPO, top condition and picking a number at the higher end of the spectrum.

This is such as useful discussion and such good info - really helps us as buyers navigate the bs and nonsense and puffery of the marketplace, and assess a CA's and dealership's credibility. For me, I verify everything and trust no one, but it helps me know whether I should run away FAST or hang in there and just do normal due diligence.

#11 ·
Not the car I'm looking at that's Spec 8. It's got about 100 miles on it.

Interesting how to value a Spec 8 2014, too!! No new car values that I can find, it isn't really "used" in that it's an A title and has been sitting on the dealer's lot for 2 years. The closest I can come is KBB used, putting in 100 miles, dealer sale, CPO, top condition and picking a number at the higher end of the spectrum.

This is such as useful discussion and such good info - really helps us as buyers navigate the bs and nonsense and puffery of the marketplace, and assess a CA's and dealership's credibility. For me, I verify everything and trust no one, but it helps me know whether I should run away FAST or hang in there and just do normal due diligence.
My suggestion is to price out the MY14 at kbb or edmunds as used car in excellent condition, and if the dealer does not accept the offer then move on. If the dealer insists on selling the MY14 as "new" car, then ask them why they price the a 2-year old MY14 similar to the MY16. :)

#12 ·
Thanks, Nameless...that's exactly what I'm doing! I have the "used car with 100 miles, cpo" printed out and plan to offer within that range, probably the higher point of the range. And yes, if they are unrealistic I"m history.

They have an asking price within spitting distance of the top of the range, so there is the possibility it will work, but I'm prepared to walk if it doesn't. My '09 is in great shape and will last me a lot longer, so I don't NEED a new car now - would like one, but only if the price is right.

Thanks again, 'festers, for helping me come up with a legitimate negotiating position!

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks, Nameless...that's exactly what I'm doing! I have the "used car with 100 miles, cpo" printed out and plan to offer within that range, probably the higher point of the range. And yes, if they are unrealistic I"m history.

They have an asking price within spitting distance of the top of the range, so there is the possibility it will work, but I'm prepared to walk if it doesn't. My '09 is in great shape and will last me a lot longer, so I don't NEED a new car now - would like one, but only if the price is right.

Thanks again, 'festers, for helping me come up with a legitimate negotiating position!
Just remember to adjust what you think is "the higher point of the range" for miles. It currently has 114 miles on the odometer according to the dealer's website. Therefore, don't forget to add for low miles. That will bring you way over "the higher point of the range." Oh, and don't forget to adjust for the fact that it actually is a new car with the full factory 4-years/50,000 miles warranty and free maintenance -- is there an add for that somewhere hidden in that "range?" ;)

Don't forget to take into consideration the equipment it has, even though it has more than you need. And lastly, don't forget to adjust (mentally, at least) for the fact that it is the exact color combination you're looking for. :D

:)

#24 · (Edited)
Congrats!!! There's no doubt, this place can put your money in grave danger!! :bigpimp:

Did they finally send you some photos? Post 'em so we can see what it was all about! :)

hmmm...maybe I can talk my dad into buying your 2009. He's so straight laced I'm afraid he just couldn't let himself enjoy it. :(

#27 ·
#29 ·
Lol thanks. My interactions with hhw rest of the staff couldn't have been better actually. Nice phone chat with sales manager last night where he gave me heads up about possible ny tax liability. That turned out to not be a problem.

Today the gave us a decent ca who just chatted. I test drove with their Bmw genius who did know his cars. And then negotiations were with finance Mgr who was also ok. I didnT feel hustled or ripped off.

The only problematic interaction was with the internet person. She was very professional and helpful but kept disappearing.

#30 ·
Lol thanks. My interactions with hhw rest of the staff couldn't have been better actually. Nice phone chat with sales manager last night where he gave me heads up about possible ny tax liability. That turned out to not be a problem.

Today the gave us a decent ca who just chatted. I test drove with their Bmw genius who did know his cars. And then negotiations were with finance Mgr who was also ok. I didnT feel hustled or ripped off.

The only problematic interaction was with the internet person. She was very professional and helpful but kept disappearing.
That's good to hear.

#31 ·
Congrats on the beauty. By any chance BMW of Bayside? The lot looks familiar

#32 · (Edited)
Specs on my new ride!

http://www.bmwbayside.com/vehicle/524271
Installed Options

ALPINE WHITE
WALNUT, EXTENDED KANSAS LEATHER UPHOLSTERY
TRANSMISSION: 7-SPEED DOUBLE CLUTCH MANUAL
PREMIUM SOUND PACKAGE
COLD WEATHER PACKAGE
TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE
M SPORT PACKAGE -inc: Increased Top Speed Limiter, Adaptive M Suspension, M Interior Trim Aluminum Carbon Shadow, Aerodynamic Kit, Anthracite Headliner, Wheels: 18" x 8" Fr/18" x 8.5" Rr Light Alloy Star-spoke (Style 325M), M Sport Package (337) w/o 2TC-inc: M Steering Wheel w/2TC
PARK DISTANCE CONTROL
- See more at: http://www.bmwbayside.com/vehicle/524271#sthash.dffdwlXa.dpuf

NoI4plz you have it right!

#33 ·
She's beautiful! Congrats, I specially like that interior color.

#34 ·
thanks, gandalf! I was thinking it would be like the saddle nterior in my '08 but it's more orangey. Very interesting and BOLD color. I think I am going to love it once I get the feel of it (the color, I mean)!

Can't wait to take her home!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.