Rattle? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 02-10-2015, 02:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M
Rattle?

hello guys, first time posting here.
Previous owner of an E46 ZHP, did a complete swap to E46 M3, and can't say anything about it but truly amazing
i always hear and read people sayin that the ZHP is right in between the 330 and M3, well... that's just crazy
after driving the M3, the ZHP feels as much as a normal 330i, handling, torque, power, everything is totally different.
i couldn't be happier with the results i got
however, i have one thing that's bothering me. i heard many M3 engines sounds, some are very quiet, others have a slight rattle... or noise. mine, on the other hand, has a slightly higher rattle than usual starting at 2800k reaching all the way up (or at least till 4k RPM until the engine goes crazy lol)
i read many previous posts where the rattle is heard only in a certain range, or at lower RPM, unlike my engine.
not sure whether the sound is from the engine itself, or VANOS
appreciate your feedback to pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from, and what r the fixes to be done.

Thanks

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 05:58 AM
bmw addict

Mein Auto: e46 m3
Welcome to the club! E46 M3's are the best. If you don't know the service history I would open her up and check the valves and vanos as soon as you can. I'd also change the oil so that you know the correct Castrol tws 10 60 is in there.

Good luck and enjoy

current rides:
09 ZR1
15 X5 50i
03 350z
13 E88 135i
15 RR sport
03 rc51
08 F450 Dually
17 ram 2500
RUNNING OUT OF GARAGE SPACE!!
Old 02-10-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatcher View Post
Welcome to the club! E46 M3's are the best. If you don't know the service history I would open her up and check the valves and vanos as soon as you can. I'd also change the oil so that you know the correct Castrol tws 10 60 is in there.

Good luck and enjoy
thanks for the welcome
problem is i got all the M3 mechanical parts from a spare part shop, can't find its history since no VIN number is available.
before paying the mechanic big bucks to open her up, just asking if any of u guys r familiar with the problem i mentioned above. sooner or later if i have to, i'll do it, but i prefer it would be a bit later
and castrol 10w60 already aboard

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '14 328d 02 M3 91 325ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
Previous owner of an E46 ZHP, did a complete swap to E46 M3, and can't say anything about it but truly amazing
i always hear and read people sayin that the ZHP is right in between the 330 and M3, well... that's just crazy
after driving the M3, the ZHP feels as much as a normal 330i, handling, torque, power, everything is totally different.
however, i have one thing that's bothering me. i heard many M3 engines sounds, some are very quiet, others have a slight rattle... or noise. mine, on the other hand, has a slightly higher rattle than usual starting at 2800k reaching all the way up (or at least till 4k RPM until the engine goes crazy lol)
i read many previous posts where the rattle is heard only in a certain range, or at lower RPM, unlike my engine.
appreciate your feedback to pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from, and what r the fixes to be done.

Thanks
Welcome!
So did you "swap" M3 parts into a ZHP or did you actually bought an M3? Just making sure I understand correctly. And yes, M3 is a completely different beast.

Usually when people complain about a rattle on these engines, is usually the Vanos seals, some people re-build the whole thing. It's really hard to try to diagnose a noise over the internet, but you have something to start your research...
1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Welcome

Nice upgrade Good luck
Old 02-10-2015, 07:08 PM
bmw addict

Mein Auto: e46 m3
Quote:
thanks for the welcome
problem is i got all the M3 mechanical parts from a spare part shop, can't find its history since no VIN number is available.
before paying the mechanic big bucks to open her up, just asking if any of u guys r familiar with the problem i mentioned above. sooner or later if i have to, i'll do it, but i prefer it would be a bit later
and castrol 10w60 already aboard
I'm confused? Did you swap a S54 into a 330?

current rides:
09 ZR1
15 X5 50i
03 350z
13 E88 135i
15 RR sport
03 rc51
08 F450 Dually
17 ram 2500
RUNNING OUT OF GARAGE SPACE!!
Old 02-10-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
Welcome!
So did you "swap" M3 parts into a ZHP or did you actually bought an M3? Just making sure I understand correctly. And yes, M3 is a completely different beast.

Usually when people complain about a rattle on these engines, is usually the Vanos seals, some people re-build the whole thing. It's really hard to try to diagnose a noise over the internet, but you have something to start your research...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatcher View Post
I'm confused? Did you swap a S54 into a 330?
swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC-M3 View Post
Welcome

Nice upgrade Good luck
thanks

i'm really hoping it's the seals. the mechanic who did the swap told me these engines may sound a bit harsh and rattly, so told me not to worry. but since he's not MY mechanic, i don't really trust him. i asked some of my ///M friends to hear the engine, they told me it sounds a bit louder (with a slight more rattle) than theirs.
eventually i'm gonna give it my mechanic for a complete check-up to be sure, hopefully nothing too serious, cuz currently she's running neck to neck with 380hp M3's (running electric fan, k&n drop in and decat)

Old 02-13-2015, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: '03 BMW M3 '06 BMW 330XI
Quote:

Thanks
Could you post a video clip? Does it sound like a marble in a can? Hopefully it does not because if it does then it is your VANOS.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:12 AM

turned out to be a VANOS issue, changed it and car is as smooth as it gets

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Today's Posts Search