Rattle? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-10-2015, 02:15 AM
heztheone heztheone is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lebanon (The Country)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,514
Mein Auto: ///M
Rattle?

hello guys, first time posting here.
Previous owner of an E46 ZHP, did a complete swap to E46 M3, and can't say anything about it but truly amazing
i always hear and read people sayin that the ZHP is right in between the 330 and M3, well... that's just crazy
after driving the M3, the ZHP feels as much as a normal 330i, handling, torque, power, everything is totally different.
i couldn't be happier with the results i got
however, i have one thing that's bothering me. i heard many M3 engines sounds, some are very quiet, others have a slight rattle... or noise. mine, on the other hand, has a slightly higher rattle than usual starting at 2800k reaching all the way up (or at least till 4k RPM until the engine goes crazy lol)
i read many previous posts where the rattle is heard only in a certain range, or at lower RPM, unlike my engine.
not sure whether the sound is from the engine itself, or VANOS
appreciate your feedback to pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from, and what r the fixes to be done.

Thanks
__________________


Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-10-2015, 05:58 AM
chatcher chatcher is offline
bmw addict
Location: pa
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,342
Mein Auto: e46 m3
Welcome to the club! E46 M3's are the best. If you don't know the service history I would open her up and check the valves and vanos as soon as you can. I'd also change the oil so that you know the correct Castrol tws 10 60 is in there.

Good luck and enjoy
__________________

current rides:
09 ZR1
15 X5 50i
03 350z
13 E88 135i
15 RR sport
03 rc51
08 F450 Dually
17 ram 2500
RUNNING OUT OF GARAGE SPACE!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-10-2015, 06:30 AM
heztheone heztheone is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lebanon (The Country)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,514
Mein Auto: ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatcher View Post
Welcome to the club! E46 M3's are the best. If you don't know the service history I would open her up and check the valves and vanos as soon as you can. I'd also change the oil so that you know the correct Castrol tws 10 60 is in there.

Good luck and enjoy
thanks for the welcome
problem is i got all the M3 mechanical parts from a spare part shop, can't find its history since no VIN number is available.
before paying the mechanic big bucks to open her up, just asking if any of u guys r familiar with the problem i mentioned above. sooner or later if i have to, i'll do it, but i prefer it would be a bit later
and castrol 10w60 already aboard
__________________


Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 02-10-2015, 12:57 PM
X3-terrestrial's Avatar
X3-terrestrial X3-terrestrial is offline
Aficionado
Location: N.Miss. - Memphis,TN Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,010
Mein Auto: '14 328d 02 M3 91 325ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
hello guys, first time posting here.
Previous owner of an E46 ZHP, did a complete swap to E46 M3, and can't say anything about it but truly amazing
i always hear and read people sayin that the ZHP is right in between the 330 and M3, well... that's just crazy
after driving the M3, the ZHP feels as much as a normal 330i, handling, torque, power, everything is totally different.
i couldn't be happier with the results i got
however, i have one thing that's bothering me. i heard many M3 engines sounds, some are very quiet, others have a slight rattle... or noise. mine, on the other hand, has a slightly higher rattle than usual starting at 2800k reaching all the way up (or at least till 4k RPM until the engine goes crazy lol)
i read many previous posts where the rattle is heard only in a certain range, or at lower RPM, unlike my engine.
not sure whether the sound is from the engine itself, or VANOS
appreciate your feedback to pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from, and what r the fixes to be done.

Thanks
Welcome!
So did you "swap" M3 parts into a ZHP or did you actually bought an M3? Just making sure I understand correctly. And yes, M3 is a completely different beast.

Usually when people complain about a rattle on these engines, is usually the Vanos seals, some people re-build the whole thing. It's really hard to try to diagnose a noise over the internet, but you have something to start your research...
__________________
2014 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport, Alpine White.
2014 328d Luxury Line, Jet Black over Saddle Brown.
2002 ///M3 Coupe, Steel Gray Metallic on black leather, HK, three pedals.
1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-2015, 02:40 PM
BMC-M3 BMC-M3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 144
Mein Auto: E46 M3
Welcome

Nice upgrade Good luck
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2015, 07:08 PM
chatcher chatcher is offline
bmw addict
Location: pa
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,342
Mein Auto: e46 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
thanks for the welcome
problem is i got all the M3 mechanical parts from a spare part shop, can't find its history since no VIN number is available.
before paying the mechanic big bucks to open her up, just asking if any of u guys r familiar with the problem i mentioned above. sooner or later if i have to, i'll do it, but i prefer it would be a bit later
and castrol 10w60 already aboard
I'm confused? Did you swap a S54 into a 330?
__________________

current rides:
09 ZR1
15 X5 50i
03 350z
13 E88 135i
15 RR sport
03 rc51
08 F450 Dually
17 ram 2500
RUNNING OUT OF GARAGE SPACE!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2015, 10:18 PM
heztheone heztheone is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lebanon (The Country)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,514
Mein Auto: ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
Welcome!
So did you "swap" M3 parts into a ZHP or did you actually bought an M3? Just making sure I understand correctly. And yes, M3 is a completely different beast.

Usually when people complain about a rattle on these engines, is usually the Vanos seals, some people re-build the whole thing. It's really hard to try to diagnose a noise over the internet, but you have something to start your research...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatcher View Post
I'm confused? Did you swap a S54 into a 330?
swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC-M3 View Post
Welcome

Nice upgrade Good luck
thanks

i'm really hoping it's the seals. the mechanic who did the swap told me these engines may sound a bit harsh and rattly, so told me not to worry. but since he's not MY mechanic, i don't really trust him. i asked some of my ///M friends to hear the engine, they told me it sounds a bit louder (with a slight more rattle) than theirs.
eventually i'm gonna give it my mechanic for a complete check-up to be sure, hopefully nothing too serious, cuz currently she's running neck to neck with 380hp M3's (running electric fan, k&n drop in and decat)
__________________


Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-13-2015, 03:16 PM
Goose81 Goose81 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: St. Louis
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 138
Mein Auto: '03 BMW M3 '06 BMW 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
hello guys, first time posting here.
Previous owner of an E46 ZHP, did a complete swap to E46 M3, and can't say anything about it but truly amazing
i always hear and read people sayin that the ZHP is right in between the 330 and M3, well... that's just crazy
after driving the M3, the ZHP feels as much as a normal 330i, handling, torque, power, everything is totally different.
i couldn't be happier with the results i got
however, i have one thing that's bothering me. i heard many M3 engines sounds, some are very quiet, others have a slight rattle... or noise. mine, on the other hand, has a slightly higher rattle than usual starting at 2800k reaching all the way up (or at least till 4k RPM until the engine goes crazy lol)
i read many previous posts where the rattle is heard only in a certain range, or at lower RPM, unlike my engine.
not sure whether the sound is from the engine itself, or VANOS
appreciate your feedback to pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from, and what r the fixes to be done.

Thanks
Could you post a video clip? Does it sound like a marble in a can? Hopefully it does not because if it does then it is your VANOS.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-26-2015, 12:12 AM
heztheone heztheone is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lebanon (The Country)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,514
Mein Auto: ///M
turned out to be a VANOS issue, changed it and car is as smooth as it gets
__________________


Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.