M4 ED Dealer Phone Call.. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer

Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors from supporting BMW dealerships. Get all of your BMW pricing, ordering, buying, financing, and leasing questions answered here!

Old 04-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 M4
M4 ED Dealer Phone Call..

So I started researching here about how early to call and order a ED. Most of the threads implied that it is best to do it 3-4 months out. Especially if you want a specific date for delivery.

I called my dealer this week, he told me 2 months...I asked if that was too short of a time frame to ensure the delivery date I would need. He seemed to think it would not be a problem. Not sure on this but Not terribly worried yet.

He then proceeded to tell me that I would get 5% off. I told him that I understood that 5% was the difference in MSRP Euro vs U.S. But that I would be looking for a deeper discount than 5%. He told me that the M cars are a problem for a deeper discount, that the dealerships loose allocation for each ED M they sell. He also said that if it were not an M the discount would be greater because they do not come out of dealer allocation. He said some BMW dealerships simply don't offer ED anymore due to this allocation issue with regard to M cars.

I am looking for advice here. I live in Salt Lake, I can easily drive to Vegas if need be to take delivery of my car. I don't want to wait until 2 months before delivery to start negotiating with a dealership that thinks I no longer have time to dicker if I want to get the car on the day I want. Even if I didn't do ED I would be negotiating price. So the ED aspect of this is almost moot. I told him if he was going to stand fast on the 5% that I needed to know so I could make other arrangements. It is certainly their prerogative to do so...as it is mine to shop elsewhere. I may be ordering a 3 series for ED at the same time..sort of a his and her thing. But the conversation left me a bit aggravated...wondering if I shouldn't shop around anyhow.

if there are deeper discounts to be had on an M, what should I expect? if 5% as good as it gets on an M?

if I am ordering just a regular 3 series, I have read discounts around ~10%-14% is that still accurate?

I am not ordering until the MY2018 are available, I would like to know what I can expect. As I need to plan things out job/finances/etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2016, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
ED discount does come out of a dealers allocation as they told you (non M cars do not, from my understanding). As far as discounts go, it is sort of a "depends" type of thing from what I have heard. M4s do not have as much discount as non M cars, for example. This also depends on part of the country.

I cant advise you on amount of time to order in advance because I have not done a Euro Delivery. You might want to ask that question in the Euro Delivery forum as well.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance |blue /blk|Perf. pack|FSD

BMW CCA #477341
Old 04-10-2016, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Go to ED forum. Lots of info there. I have done multiple EDs. Great way to see Europe but you really don't save much on the cost of the car compared to a well negotiated US delivery, M cars especially.
2016 Corvette Stingray (Fun Car)
2016 528ixdrive/MSport (Ret)
2013 Audi A6 (Ret)
2013 Audi A4 (Ret)
2010 Z4s30i (ED) (Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)/ED/PCD
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED/PCD
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)
1985 M635 Euro (Ret)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2016, 10:50 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: M3
A few points to remember. M cars for European Delivery do come out of dealer allocation. Other cars do not unless they are a brand new generation and then only for the first few months. If a car does not come out of the dealer's allocation, he treats it as just extra business. If it does come out of his allocation -- especially if it's an M car -- then he compares to what he could have made on that same car if he sold it to someone else willing to take delivery at the dealership (dealers make bonus money on those cars but not on European Delivery cars).

The 5% discount off US MSRP to arrive at ED MSRP is just the starting point for most cars but not necessarily for M cars. If the dealer tells you that's all you're going to get on a M4, then he is telling up upfront that he is holding to full ED MSRP on his M4's for European Delivery. That may, or may not, be the best you can do on a new MY 2018 M4. No one can know that yet because we are nowhere near being ready to order 2018 M4's. Let me explain it another way: you would be extremely fortunate if you were to find a dealer right now willing to sell you one of his precious M2 allocations for ED at a selling price of just ED MSRP -- very fortunate indeed.

It all depends on the market. Good old law of supply and demand in action. If the supply is limited and the demand is strong, you aren't going to see discounts. At least not in the beginning. That might be the case for a 2018 M4 but no one can know that now because this is way to soon to speculate about something like that. On almost all other models for European Delivery, you can usually find dealers willing to offer decent discounts off of the ED MSRP. Once again, that will vary from one dealership to another. L.A. is one of the most competitive markets in the country... not Las Vegas. Check with Greg Poland at Pacific BMW in Glendale, CA. He is a Bimmerfest sponsor. http://garage.bimmerfest.com/siteSpo...nsor&SpCId=226
Old 04-11-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninong View Post
A few points to remember. M cars for European Delivery do come out of dealer allocation. Other cars do not unless they are a brand new generation and then only for the first few months. If a car does not come out of the dealer's allocation, he treats it as just extra business. If it does come out of his allocation -- especially if it's an M car -- then he compares to what he could have made on that same car if he sold it to someone else willing to take delivery at the dealership (dealers make bonus money on those cars but not on European Delivery cars).

The 5% discount off US MSRP to arrive at ED MSRP is just the starting point for most cars but not necessarily for M cars. If the dealer tells you that's all you're going to get on a M4, then he is telling up upfront that he is holding to full ED MSRP on his M4's for European Delivery. That may, or may not, be the best you can do on a new MY 2018 M4. No one can know that yet because we are nowhere near being ready to order 2018 M4's. Let me explain it another way: you would be extremely fortunate if you were to find a dealer right now willing to sell you one of his precious M2 allocations for ED at a selling price of just ED MSRP -- very fortunate indeed.

It all depends on the market. Good old law of supply and demand in action. If the supply is limited and the demand is strong, you aren't going to see discounts. At least not in the beginning. That might be the case for a 2018 M4 but no one can know that now because this is way to soon to speculate about something like that. On almost all other models for European Delivery, you can usually find dealers willing to offer decent discounts off of the ED MSRP. Once again, that will vary from one dealership to another. L.A. is one of the most competitive markets in the country... not Las Vegas. Check with Greg Poland at Pacific BMW in Glendale, CA. He is a Bimmerfest sponsor. http://garage.bimmerfest.com/siteSpo...nsor&SpCId=226

Thanks I will give them a shout when things get closer. Is 2 months a good time frame or is longer better?
Old 04-11-2016, 04:33 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by danac787 View Post
Thanks I will give them a shout when things get closer. Is 2 months a good time frame or is longer better?
No, two months is an absolute minimum time frame assuming you're dealing with a dealer who has an open allocation for ED of the model you want available to give to you. It may work for the particular dealer you talked to who offered you full ED MSRP as a selling price but it probably won't work otherwise.

For a regular car (not an M car), then I would suggest you allow three months before your requested delivery date. If you're looking for an M car, just remember that if they're tight, the dealers will have already sold their allocation for the next two or thee months and you would be on a veritable waiting list because they would take your deposit and then tell you they're waiting for a production number, and waiting, and waiting some more.

There is nothing wrong with starting at least 90 days in advance for most cars and 120 days in advance for an M car or any car that you want Individual paint on.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
My ED order was placed in mid-March for end of July delivery. Some CA ( not all) has capability to give your production # for a M car 4+ months out.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to turpiwa
Mein Auto: Toyota Hilux -unbreakable
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
My ED order was placed in mid-March for end of July delivery. Some CA ( not all) has capability to give your production # for a M car 4+ months out.

Same same. Get on it 4 to 5 months ahead. Hopefully for you demand has softened and you won't go through he dramas a lot of us have been through this year.

Remember - and a lot of us learnt this the hard way - no production number = no order.
In my case I didn't mind giving a refundable deposit but refused until I had a production number.

Production number is king.
ED 2009 E90 335i - Le Mans, (sold 2010) MY ED 2009 WRITEUP
2005 545i - Nice fast cruiser (Calgary, Canada)
ED 2005 E90 330i - (sold 2007) MY ED 2005 WRITEUP
ED PICTURES there's lots
Old 04-12-2016, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 16 320i (zsp, zlp, zda)
Contact David Padgalskas at BMW Portland

You can order well before the 2 month “minimum” timeframe – but it might be too early for a MY18.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
I am not ordering until the MY2018 are available, I would like to know what I can expect. As I need to plan things out job/finances/etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
So you are talking 2 MY from now, a lot can change between now and then. the bed advice is speak to a board sponsor but they wont be able to give you any info on the car or order dates until the car is released. I'm wondering if the MY18 isn't going to be a change for the M4 if that is the case then all bets are off until more info is released.

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015 Gone
Old 04-13-2016, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 16 320i (zsp, zlp, zda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
So you are talking 2 MY from now, a lot can change between now and then. the bed advice is speak to a board sponsor but they wont be able to give you any info on the car or order dates until the car is released. I'm wondering if the MY18 isn't going to be a change for the M4 if that is the case then all bets are off until more info is released.
Another thing to remember…if you are looking at getting a 3 series with the M4, then the new G20 may be around by then.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post
Another thing to remember…if you are looking at getting a 3 series with the M4, then the new G20 may be around by then.
Thanks yeah we will be doing an ED on a MY2018 340 and a MY2018 M4...assuming nothing horrible happens between now and then...too much going on this year so figured next year makes more sense.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to BimmerBahn
Mein Auto: '16 X5, '17 M3 ZCP (ED)
Quote:
Thanks yeah we will be doing an ED on a MY2018 340 and a MY2018 M4...assuming nothing horrible happens between now and then...too much going on this year so figured next year makes more sense.

Thanks for all the advice.
Note that when a new generation is launched, the ///M model (I.e. M3, M4) lags one MY...so if they stick to that timeline, you'd be looking at a MY'19 the following July 2018 for the ///M

Cheers,

'17 M3 ZCP, '14 X1, '14 535d, '11 E90 335d, '07 E92 335i, '04 E46 330i, '01 E39 M5 - retired -
BMWCCA - 341029

European Delivery: ('14 X1, '14 535d) - September 13, 2013
European Delivery: ('17 M3 ZCP) - October 1, 2016

Old 04-13-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletbgm View Post
Note that when a new generation is launched, the ///M model (I.e. M3, M4) lags one MY...so if they stick to that timeline, you'd be looking at a MY'19 the following July 2018 for the ///M

Cheers,
sure, plus a year off where no M is produced. so probably 3 years away 2020 or 21 for new body style M...cant wait forever I suppose

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Today's Posts Search