BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What is this engine part? (Getting to know my M54 engine bay)

219K views 144 replies 35 participants last post by  Dynamic Entry 
#1 ·
Over time, I've come to know (by necessity) almost every large item in the M54 engine bay ... but some items still are unknown to me ...

What is this engine part?

Attachments

See less See more
#130 ·

Attachments

#131 ·
This question came up today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Please identity this part
Hey guys,

Can someone please tell me the name of this part. It's missing and bothering the hell out of me. It's a square cap on the front of the drivers side valve cover and it's labeled (Batt +).

Thank you.

Troy
That's just the battery terminal cover.
Why not snap a photo of it like everyone else does who asks "what is this part?".

See also:
- Where to find in situ pictures of common parts of the E39 engine bay (1) & where to find part numbers for every part in the BMW E39 (1)
We crossed posts in the ether ...
Here is mine, on my I6, while being charged ...

#132 ·
Here is a picture of the I6 timing chain tensioner:
- Timing Chain tensioner and rail guide replacement for the I6 (1) & the M62 (1) & the M62TU (1)

Attachments

#133 ·
been a while since this tread showed up and with all the new people this is a fun quiz.. how many did you get right?

#134 ·
M54 Vanos: Does anyone know or measured the distance of the spline cups (11 36 1 715 027)?
I'm looking for the default distance in MM or In from the mounting face of the vanos (where the timing fixture contacts engine head) to each fastening (threaded end) face of 11 36 1 715 027 spline cups?

Thanks
Ben

#136 ·
Yes. That plug covers the hole where the Top Dead center (TDC) pin (part # 112300) is inserted to lock the flywheel and pistons at Top dead center for certain service requirements (setting timing, etc. ) I recently used this hole in a head gasket job I just completed.

The blue plug is often missing. It was on my engine.

#137 ·
Mystery Component E65 2006 750i

Can somebody identify this item on the right side of the engine, the piece with the 4 metal pipes/hoses coming out of the top (and 2 more lower down, towards the back).

On my car, one of those pipes/hoses seems to have a cross-threaded nut holding it to the unit. So, the nut is not threaded in as far as the other 3. Any idea if that poor connection is likely to cause a problem?

Attachments

#139 ·
Brake Fluid Lines

Thanks Effduration. I don't see any liquid in the area of those brake lines, so that's a good thing. The lines are definitely screwed into the box, and one (on top) is not screwed down as far as the others - quite a noticeable difference. But, if it's not leaking then I won't touch it.
BTW, the four pipes on top are labeled, Rt to Lft, H, HL, VL, and V. The 2 on the rear face are labeled HR and VR. I expect V and H are the German words for Front and Rear (Vorderseiten and Hintern) so the labels are for Front, Front Left and Front Right and Rear, Rear Left and Rear Right. Does that make sense in the context of the ABS controller box?
Thanks again for the response.

#144 ·
Sorry, new to the site. Scrolled down further and saw the replies below. I was looking for a new Secondary Air Pump Vacuum Line that I broke while taking the valve cover off of my Z3. I was trying to identify the ***8220;Emissions Valve***8221; which you have circled in one of your photos, that the line comes out out of. Thanks for the quick response.

#145 · (Edited)
I found my way here via search because I'm trying to identify a particular wire and harness in the DME box
It's a single pinned black connector, with Black wire running to the chassis side:

Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Cable Wire

and Red/Blk running from the engine harness:

Electrical wiring Circuit component Electrical supply Cable Technology

The above wire harness is present on my 2002 530i5 speed manual, but it is not present on my 2001 525i Auto:

Line Electrical wiring Gas Vehicle door Wire

This is of interest because I am finishing a swap, with 530i/5 donor engine and transmission being put into the 525i/A Touring

Because I have swapped the 530i/5 engine with harness into the 525iA chassis, I currently have the Red/Blk wire running from the M54b30 engine harness but no connector in the DME box to connect it to, and I'm not sure what it's function is

Cheers,
Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.