Finally pulling the trigger on a F10 M5 this week - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M5 & M6 > F10 M5 (2012 - 2016)

F10 M5 (2012 - 2016)
The 5th generation M5 has the V8 S63 TU engine with twin turbos under the hood producing 550hp. The engine and DCT gear box pusses the M5 0-60 in just 4.2 seconds.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Finally pulling the trigger on a F10 M5 this week

I really was trying to decide what I wanted more, F10 M5 or 3rd gen CTS-V. In the end I found a killer deal for a 2014 Alpine White with 42k on the clock for 32k. COuldnt pass it up. I also purchased 3rd party warranty (with a company called LaSalle) and got their extra protection for gasket/seals, etc.

I havent had a car note in a while so this makes me want to throw up but I havent driven/owned a car I wanted for a while. Its in another state but I had relatives close by the dealership and one is a really good mechanic so they went and checked it out and gave me the seal of approval. With the exception of some minor BMW annoying issues (oil leaks, etc) it seems like this is a pretty solid platform.

If nothing else after 2 years if I still feel the same way about it I'll keep it or sell it. I nervous AF to own one. Don't want to break ****.

Anyway Hi guys.....it still feels surreal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2020, 06:09 AM
Officially a BMW Addict

Mein Auto: F15, F10, E60
Sounds like a greal deal and good idea on the warranty
"Itís what non-car people donít get. They see all cars as just a ton and a half, two tons of wires, glass, metal, and rubber, and thatís all they see. People like you or I know we have an unshakable belief that cars are living entitiesÖ" - Jeremy Clarkson
Old 05-07-2020, 03:33 PM

Piece of mind. That is priceless. I know 3rd party warranties typically try like hell not to pay for anything so this will be a good deterrent for me from wanting mod to it immediately.

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-07-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2020, 07:44 PM

should be here tomorrow morning. This is surreal

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-08-2020 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530XI E60
congrats, can't wait to hear your feedback after getting it, funny cause I'm almost in the same boat as you, just waiting to find the right deal on a 14-15 and def want a nice warranty this time.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:11 PM

So honestly I havent really had a chance to really drive it. I drove around town a bit and then went a friends farm to have some social distancing brunch (about 35ish minutes away) but there were a ton of cops out.

I have owned a Acura Integra Type R, a Honda Civic with a Type R motor, a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo with 750+ horses and a 335i with all the boltons and a stage 2 flash.

I say all that to say I have owned cars of different drivetrain types, luxury levels (or lack thereof) and power.

This is different.

Its hard to put into words. With everything in sport plus it doesnt give me a real sense of acceleration until it gets over 4k rpms and then it just feels like warp speed. And that is just rolling on it in one gear. I've wound it out in 3rd and 4th gear and it was scary. My wife looked at me and said don't die. LOL.

It honestly scares me how fast this car gets up. For how often I probably not drive it (my wife and I normally car pool but honestly we'll probably be working from home for the rest of the year). So I literally have to find reasons to drive it. Running errands around town dont make sense....Everything is so close the car barely warms up and honestly its so fast I dont feel comfortable really getting on it on local roads (trying to be a responsible adult). This is a highway car and at the moment I have no reason to get on the highway.

The cost of **** when it breaks is enough to give me pause on modifying it all. From all my research it seems if you keep it below 650 and whatever tune you get keeps torque until higher up in the rpms and most importantly changing oil every 5k miles and waiting until the car reaches the first dot on the oil temp gauge then the car will stay together and be pretty reliable.

Its prob the most comfortable car I have ever owned. Its like getting a tempurpedic bed for the first time. I set M1 to be efficient on everything and it feels fine on that.

I dont want to void the warranty so between the fear of breaking it and voiding the warranty I think for the next few years I'll just adda few things looks wise and otherwise leave it alone. I find when I dont drive my fun car often it makes me want to modify it less because it always feels like new money.

Its weird I want to drive it but I dont want drive around aimlessly either. I've been looking for reasons to drive. I purposely didnt fire it up today because I only had 2 stops to make that were both 5 minutes away.

Overall I'm in awe of all the luxury features and the power the feel the handling (what little i was able to test). Its my first M car and most likely not my last.

I cant afford one brand new with my current salary so I've viewing this as a preview of what its like to own a 100k+ car while I have a warranty. After the warranty runs out I'll decide if I'm gonna try and score a F90 or try out a 3rd gen CTS-V (that was my other choice compared to this......but the price of this one was too good to pass up).

Overall this was worth the money so far but I'm only on day 3 of ownership and I've only driven it 5 times. I def need more seat time.

I was planning on using bimmer code (I bought the VeePak OBDII dongle) but I think I'll hold off for now. I ordered some LED's for the interior lights and for now I think I'm good. I have a set of Forgestar F14's I had on my 335i. They are 19's. I'm probably gonna sell them and get the same wheel in 20 inch.

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-11-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:35 AM
In Heaven

Mein Auto: F10 M5/G11 750/2017 320i
Congratulation on your toy. Enjoy and welcome!

Mr. 29,000th...
2017 320i son's car
2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ - Daily Driver
2016 750- wife's car
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ - Retired
2014 M5 - Toy
2012 750LI - retired
2011 B7 Retired
2008 535i - retired
2008 335i - lease - returned
2007 750li - retired
2004 545i - retired
1999 Chevy Silverado-retired
1991 Chevy Silverado-retired
1989 GTI-retired
1982 320i - retired
1980 Audi 80-retired
Old 06-15-2020, 01:59 PM

Thanks. So its been a few weeks and I've had more seat time. Def happy with my decision. Ironically I'll be work from home possibly as a standard so by the time 2 years is up I can decide if I'm gonna pay it off, sell it with low miles for the year and get a F90 or sell it and move on to something else. Going to Atlanta the first week in July so if I drive it that will be a good chance to get acquainted with it over a long distance. Probably gonna change the oil before we go.

Overall happy with my choice.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 14 M5 Comp Pack
Congrats! Your post made me remember when I bought my first M5 (e39)... Was surreal I cried while driving it home... It's a combination of feeling the car and feeling success at the same time. At that point in my life I had never driven a car so well planted on the road or sounded any close to that masterpiece of engine.

Enjoy the car and don't worry about it breaking down! I posted a video of adding CarPlay module to the car (it's like couple threads down from yours), check it out it will add a modern touch over the outdated tech in the F10.
03 M5 black on black - Sold.
2007 530iA - Traded for M5.
2003 530iA MSport - Totaled by a semi.
2001 525iA - Overheated
1997 528i 5 speed manual - Sold.
1984 318i Coupe 5 speed manual - Totaled.

Other Cars I've Had:
2002 Mazda Millenia.
1995 Toyota Camry Coupe 5 speed manual.
1993 Ford Probe.
1990 Chevy Safari.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M5 & M6 > F10 M5 (2012 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search