ED Trip plan - September 2019 - 2020 M550i - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 08-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW M3
ED Trip plan - September 2019 - 2020 M550i

Hi all,

Wanted to share the plan for our European Vacation in early September 2019. It is my 4th ED (3rd with BMW) and my wife's first. Any suggestions or refinements are appreciated.

Unfortunately, our plan only includes 5 days with the new car. We were informed that our individual order could not be delivered on our requested dates and we couldn't delay the trip further to accommodate the 2 week delay.

Day 1: Arrive at Zurich, Pick up BMW 1er 6sp (Guaranteed Model) from Sixt and Drive down to Lauterbrunnen and park in the garage. Take the train to Wengen and stay there for three nights.

Day 2: Train Wengen -> Kleine Scheidegg -> Jungfraujoch (Weather permitting)

Day 3: Drive to Stechelberg, Take the cable car to Stechelberg -> Gimmelwald -> Murren -> Schilthorn (weather permitting). On the way back visit Truemmelbach Falls.

Day 4: Drive through Mountain passes Grimsel, Furka, Susten (weather permitting). Arrive in Zurich by evening.

Day 5: Day in Zurich. In the evening return the rental car and fly to Venice

Day 6: Venice

Day 7: Venice

Day 8: Afternoon flight Venice -> Munich. Check in to the hotel and visit Marienplatz in the evening in time for Rathaus-Glockenspiel re-enactment.

Day 9: Munich

Day 10: Munich

Day 11: Delivery Day, BMW Factory Tour, Drive to Stuttgart. Check out Porche Museum (time permitting). Stay at Stuttgart for the night.

Day 12: Stuttgart. Spend Half day in Mercedes-Benz Museum. In the afternoon, Drive down to Innsbruck via Hahntennjoch pass and Berwang Landstrasse. Stay in Innsbruck for 3 nights.

Day 13: Innsbruck, Swarovski Kristallwelten

Day 14: Innsbruck to Jauphen pass, Timmelsjoch Pass, Krimml Waterfalls

Day 15: Return to Munich, Drop off Car, BMW Museum

Day 16: Fly Back

2020 BMW M550i ED (Sep 10, 2019)
2016 BMW M3 ED (June 6, 2016)
2014 Mercedes Benz E350 Sport ED (July 1, 2013) - SOLD!
2013 F30 335i MSport ED (Aug 27, 2012) - SOLD!
2006 R171 Mercedes Benz SLK 350 - SOLD!

Last edited by achopra; 08-19-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '16 535xi
[QUOTE=achopra;13082749]Hi all,

[]Wanted to share the plan for our European Vacation in early September 2019. It is my 4th ED (3rd with BMW) and my wife's first. Any suggestions or refinements are appreciated.

It looks a good plan to me. I've got a couple of comments:

We really enjoyed our trip up the Jungfrau. We happened to be very lucky with the weather on the day we chose. It was crystal clear. We had allowed two or three days in the hope of having at least one really clear day. As it happened that first day was perfect. We stayed the next two days in the general area and they were both hazy. I hope you are as lucky as we were. Those hazy days would have been very disappointing.

You are planning to spend a few days in the Innsbruck area. It was the site of a couple of Olympic games and there are several lifts operating which should give you great views of the surrounding mountains. But, like the Jungfrau these views would be dependent on good weather. The other memorable sight in Innsbruck was the cathedral. I would be inclined to spend fewer days in Innsbruck and spend those days elsewhere.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:00 PM

[QUOTE=Trinitony;13083647]
Quote:
Originally Posted by achopra View Post
Hi all,

[]Wanted to share the plan for our European Vacation in early September 2019. It is my 4th ED (3rd with BMW) and my wife's first. Any suggestions or refinements are appreciated.

It looks a good plan to me. I've got a couple of comments:

We really enjoyed our trip up the Jungfrau. We happened to be very lucky with the weather on the day we chose. It was crystal clear. We had allowed two or three days in the hope of having at least one really clear day. As it happened that first day was perfect. We stayed the next two days in the general area and they were both hazy. I hope you are as lucky as we were. Those hazy days would have been very disappointing.

You are planning to spend a few days in the Innsbruck area. It was the site of a couple of Olympic games and there are several lifts operating which should give you great views of the surrounding mountains. But, like the Jungfrau these views would be dependent on good weather. The other memorable sight in Innsbruck was the cathedral. I would be inclined to spend fewer days in Innsbruck and spend those days elsewhere.
Thanks for your comments We are using Innsbruck mostly as a gateway to some mountain passes and the Mrs wants to visit Swavrovksi Kristallwelten, which is a must for her. I was thinking of going to Garmisch Partenkirchen or Mittenwald instead, but that would increase the drive to the mountain passes, which I wanted to do with our car. Fussen is out of contention since Neuschwanstein is undergoing renovations. What do you think ? will it be worth it to move base to Garmisch Partenkirchen?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 08:10 PM
Don't be a left lane hog

Mein Auto: M2
Seems like a lot packed into day 11: delivery and factory tour may take half day or more, so you're likely getting into Stuttgart later in the day.
The Mercedes museum is huge (and the best of the car museums). I think I was there 3-4 hours and didn't look at all the exhibits, but you could move fast and come down in 1.5-2 hours.

What did you get this time? and individual to boot! Inquiring minds want to know!
E61 535xi ED Aug 31 2007- ED Report--N. Italy
E90 330i ED June 26 2006- ED Trip Report

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"- George Carlin
Old 08-19-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Seems like a lot packed into day 11: delivery and factory tour may take half day or more, so you're likely getting into Stuttgart later in the day.
The Mercedes museum is huge (and the best of the car museums). I think I was there 3-4 hours and didn't look at all the exhibits, but you could move fast and come down in 1.5-2 hours.

What did you get this time? and individual to boot! Inquiring minds want to know!
On Day 11 our delivery time is 9:10 am and we'll be doing the factory tour after that. Should be done with the factory tour around 2 PM. We are just expecting to reach Stuttgart on Day 11 and calling it a day. We'll be doing the Mercedes museum on Day 12 and spending the first half of the day there.

We are getting the following:

2020 M550i xDrive Sedan
Mediterranean Blue Metallic
(Ind) Caramel/Black Full Merino Leather
Driving Assistance Plus Package
Luxury Seating Package
Premium Package
Heated Steering Wheel
Space-saver spare
Front and Rear Heated Seats

MSRP: $85635

Old 08-20-2019, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '16 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by achopra View Post
What do you think ? will it be worth it to move base to Garmisch Partenkirchen?
No. The only advantage to Garmisch would be if you want to visit Ludwig II's Linderhof. If you have not seen Linderhof I would recommend a visit. But I'm married so I realize that crystals trump palaces.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search