BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

After 3 BMW's within 3 Years, I am Done.

39K views 612 replies 65 participants last post by  M40i4me 
#1 ·
No, this thread is not to incite a riot, it is merely to relate one former customer's unfortunate experience now that I can talk freely about it.

Two of the three were brand spanking new 3 series.

First was an '09 750... Not even a week of ownership, in for the "customer care" recall, but not really a recall, fine.

Within a month after that, valve tap and severe oil consumption, but shockingly, still within tolerance. Brought it back to the dealer, made a deal on a brand new 320.

Within less than a year of ownership, multiple issues, finally, after far more than 30 days in the shop, I was going to "lemon" it. It required a new engine. BMW steps in, and does a great trade assist for a brand new, extremely well equipped LCI '16 328i.

Within three months, a very obvious rattle surfaces. Back to dealer... This time, they fix it promptly, as it was relatively easy to determine the source.

A few months after that, loud buzzing behind that dash at highway speeds, AND when stopped in park, tranny started to feel inconsistent, a somewhat of a low level rumble/grind that was changing in pitch.

At that point, I had simply had enough of the drama. Enough of scheduling service visits, enough loaners, and traded out of it.

I've ready plenty were folks are like, "Well, they DO rattle, just the way they are, etc., etc.". Well, if it WAS ONLY that, fine. ...but it's my repeated time and effort also.

I just can't believe two brand new BMW's, one with a MSRP of 50K, and I still didn't end up with a relatively care-free car. I just think BMW is skimping too much on the 3 series. Maybe I just had bad luck, but after two, I don't think I'll be going back for a while.

I truly hope no one has to go through what I did.

Cheers...

See less See more
#593 ·
I love the 300. Nice one. That center media display is kind of cheesy though compared to the Nav installed wider BMW iDrive current gen screen. The one pictured sort of looks like the one in my mom's 2007 Infiniti EX35 but other than that, nice interior. Great leather, love the contrast stitching. Much nicer than the BMW Dakota offering, but thats not hard to do. Most leather in much cheaper cars is better than BMW's dakota.

#594 · (Edited)
Personally I hate the "pop-out screen" infotaiment systems...I prefer them integrated in the dashboard.

As with other recent FCA products (minus the old cheap stuff like the Dodge Journey, Dodge Caravan or old generation Jeep Compass/Patriot) assembly level is actually very good. The real magnesium paddles and gear selector knob is a nice touch.

With the leather covered dashboard and upper door panels the 300 can be a credible luxury car.

In the 300 Sport trim you can have 3 different types of leather seats (base Milano leather, like the one in the picture, Nappa and Nappa/Alcantara combo). The Foligno leather is reserved for the Platinum trim.

I could not believe you could currently pick such a nice riding car for upper mid 20s $$$ ......it feels like 3 segments above a similarly priced Accord.

#596 ·
yah, if you want to look like a pimp, that's the car to buy....

A car has to make an emotional connection for me to buy it. I've tried "practical and value" before and ended up selling it after a couple years.

that car ... ugh. Don't care what it costs or how nice it drives, it just looks like a inner city pimpmobile.

(personal opinion!)

#597 · (Edited)
yah, if you want to look like a pimp, that's the car to buy....

A car has to make an emotional connection for me to buy it. I've tried "practical and value" before and ended up selling it after a couple years.

that car ... ugh. Don't care what it costs or how nice it drives, it just looks like a inner city pimpmobile.

(personal opinion!)
Well rich rappers full of bling buys Bentleys and S Class..that doesn't seem to deter normal folks from buying and enjoying them....

I happen to like the new 300 a lot....it matured a lot from the first generation, it is way more refined and less blingy....

#598 ·
Nice! Thank you for posting those!

It seems like the older I get, the less I give a crap what it looks like on the outside when it comes to vehicles...

I still remember how shocked and surprised I was when I test drove the Laramie. RAM/Chrysler has come an incredibly long way over the last 10 years. I remember test driving Dodge RAM in the early 2000's, and it was absolutely universes away from what it is now. I remember back then Silverado and F150 were at the top of my list. Eventually I went with a 2001 Lariat 4x4 extended cab, and to this day, I like that truck and body style.

You're spot on about giving the 300 a good had look relative to the 5 Series. just the fact Chrysler is now comparable to BMW speaks VOLUMES.

IMO, BMW has stagnated a bit. I don't think they hold the degree of "value proposition" they once did, while their competitors are piling it on in heaps every day. That interior shot Kafka took of the Audi gauges is a great example. I was always miffed by the way by new '16 328 had speedo gauges relatively unchanged since the early 90's...:rolleyes:

I just thought of it as "classic"...:rofl:

#600 · (Edited)
Nice! Thank you for posting those!

It seems like the older I get, the less I give a crap what it looks like on the outside when it comes to vehicles...

I still remember how shocked and surprised I was when I test drove the Laramie. RAM/Chrysler has come an incredibly long way over the last 10 years. I remember test driving Dodge RAM in the early 2000's, and it was absolutely universes away from what it is now. I remember back then Silverado and F150 were at the top of my list. Eventually I went with a 2001 Lariat 4x4 extended cab, and to this day, I like that truck and body style.

You're spot on about giving the 300 a good had look relative to the 5 Series. just the fact Chrysler is now comparable to BMW speaks VOLUMES.

IMO, BMW has stagnated a bit. I don't think they hold the degree of "value proposition" they once did, while their competitors are piling it on in heaps every day. That interior shot Kafka took of the Audi gauges is a great example. I was always miffed by the way by new '16 328 had speedo gauges relatively unchanged since the early 90's...:rolleyes:

I just thought of it as "classic"...:rofl:
Cracked, I did own a Chrysler 300M in 2000 and other than the swoopy lines on the outside it was an utter piece of junk.....I promised to do not buy a Chrysler product ever again (or any American car for that matter).. times change.....now there are quite few American cars that I really like, we own a Grand Cherokee and I would have no problem whatsoever owning a 300 or a Charger...a Ford Explorer is a rip-off, content wise for the dollar compared to a GC or a Dodge Durango.

#601 ·
Did the durango thing, after the third computer went bad at over $1000 each and the dealer just looked at us and said we can't fix it but we'll install another one and see how long it lasts... never another dodge. Not to mention the Government motors bailout where they screwed all their shareholders and bondholders but fully funded the union pensions with huge amounts of taxpayer money. Screw GM.

#602 ·
I am on my fourth BMW. I kept my last one to just before 145,000 miles and 9 years. In New England, with winding, narrow roads, the smaller BMW's are easier to drive than a full sized vehicle. I once talked to an independent repair shop owner that bought 3-series at auction with over 100,000 miles as loaners. They might have squeaks and oil leaks, but they were reliable and his customers loved them. I am sorry that you had such bad luck with the brand, and wish you luck with the truck. Please excuse me now, I have to go and consider which BMW will be my fifth one.

#603 ·
I am a veteran , a poor veteran. I bought a 2000 528i , lotta miles. I had for five years , never a problem. I let someone else borrow it , destroyed it. I was lucky enough this year to get an '06 325i. Lots of miles , runs like new , faster than my five series. Whether or not it's a new car , it's a BMW. No matter what serious , they shouldn't have the above problems. Could it be factory error or owner ? I've never heard of the squeaking before. What's squeaking , did it get easily fixed ?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

#604 · (Edited)
I am a veteran , a poor veteran. I bought a 2000 528i , lotta miles. I had for five years , never a problem. I let someone else borrow it , destroyed it. I was lucky enough this year to get an '06 325i. Lots of miles , runs like new , faster than my five series. Whether or not it's a new car , it's a BMW. No matter what serious , they shouldn't have the above problems. Could it be factory error or owner ? I've never heard of the squeaking before. What's squeaking , did it get easily fixed ?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
To ^^ LEND any of my cars to someone, they need to meet the criteria on the list:

Wife.Technically not a "lend" as she paid for half of car. (well not really)

Someone who needs to go to hospital.Though, if it's urgent and they live in the city, they'd be better off calling an ambulance.

Father. If housing bubble bursts, may need to hit him up for loan.

Mother. Owns beach house.

Police officer in hot pursuit of criminal. Exciting. I could be deputized.

Santa Claus. On Christmas Eve.

Someone who says: "If you let me borrow your car I will pay you $1,200."

#613 ·
The best thing about this thread is consumers reports just pushed BMW to number 3 behind Genesis and Audi and In front of Lexus! Now I love them lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.