BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

August Sales

27K views 448 replies 47 participants last post by  windsor027 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#401 ·
So fellow BMW brothers and sisters, with Ben going shopping to the tune of 40 billion per month to move the mortgage rates lower, how many think people we refinance and start spending money on BMWs. Don't think for a minute the low interest rates in 2010, 2011 didn't help the luxury car makers. Ok I will not go into why this is very very bad, but BJ I hate to say it more people that can't logically afford a Camry will now jump into a F30 328i...

#436 ·
On a 20 minute drive tonight I spotted three F30's in the wild, all XDrive models.

Not scientific, but I'd never seen so much as one other F30 in the past month here in the 3 Series capital of the world.

September sales should look good.

BJ
I've seen two in the past three days, which surpasses the total that I've seen in the previous thirty, I believe.

#439 ·
Gents, BMW is still up 5.6% sales year to date vs. last year on a vehicles-sold basis. August was horrendous though, and the growth is not as much as would be expected given that the f30 (their sales leader) became available AFTER that. However, 2011 might have been quite a good year due to end-and-late model discounts and lease deals too.

Nonetheless, BMW is selling well in many models. However, 3-series sales are abyssmal but are continuing a trend since before the f30. Look at this interactive chart and de-select all except the 3-series. http://www.bmwconfig.com/BmwConfig/BmwSales.aspx

No other model has seen the 5-year decline as the 3-series, and it appears the f30 hasn't reversed that trend.

#441 ·
Gents, BMW is still up 5.6% sales year to date vs. last year on a vehicles-sold basis. August was horrendous though, and the growth is not as much as would be expected given that the f30 (their sales leader) became available AFTER that. However, 2011 might have been quite a good year due to end-and-late model discounts and lease deals too.

Nonetheless, BMW is selling well in many models. However, 3-series sales are abyssmal but are continuing a trend since before the f30.

No other model has seen the 5-year decline as the 3-series, and it appears the f30 hasn't reversed that trend.
It's a poor transition, nothing more.

BJ

#442 · (Edited)
Interesting chart.

To see if my speculation had any support, I check both the 3 and 5 lines only, and looked at only the 2012 part. It almost as if when 3 sales was up, 5 was down, and when 5 sales was up, 3 went down. My speculation was, since the new 3 is bigger, and it looks just like the 5, some 5 buyers simply moved down to 3.

If transition is the issue for 3 sales lack of performance, the same cannot be said for last month's 5 sales dropping over 60%. Although that was only a single month, did not point to any trend.

There was a 2005 study showed North East and North Central had about 24% of the 3 series share, while South and West had 76%. If today's distribution is similar, then the poor showing likely had a lot to do with lack of sales in the South and West. Some posters in Socal seemed to support such trend through their own observations. If BMW has to rely on the new 3 series xdrives to reverse the trend, it could be a difficult battle.

#443 ·
Interesting chart.

My speculation was, since the new 3 is bigger, and it looks just like the 5, some 5 buyers simply moved down to 3.
Parked next to an F10 last evening at BJ's and was impressed how much alike the rear ends look at a glance, with the F10 being slightly wider. I've seen about three or four F30's in our local area, but wondering if I've been mistaking more F30's for the F10? Seems the best view to differentiate between the two is from the front view.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.