BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2013 Cadillac ATS GM Takes Aim at BMW. No, Seriously.

94K views 792 replies 102 participants last post by  sf_loft 
#1 ·
Would anyone seriously cross shop this against a F30?
2013 Cadillac ATS
GM Takes Aim at BMW. No, Seriously.

Development of the new 2013 Cadillac ATS was considered such a priority, it was one of the few programs that was not stopped during GM's bankruptcy. Why? Because the ATS is GM's entree into the largest luxury vehicle segment in the world, a segment basically created by BMW's 3 Series. This is the car that will make Cadillac a global luxury brand.

The new ATS faithfully follows the segment-defining BMW's formula. In fact, chief engineer Dave Masch would probably argue his baby Caddy follows it even more faithfully than BMW. The dynamic benchmark for the ATS was the E46 3 Series, the car many enthusiasts still regard as best of the breed. Masch's team believes BMW moved away from the driver-focused chassis tune of the E46 with the current 3 Series -- the E90 -- and expects that trend will continue with the next-gen 3 Series due later this year. They see an opportunity for Cadillac.

2013 Cadillac ATS Rear Three Quarters
Click to view Gallery
The ATS is virtually all-new from the tires up. About the only parts that could be considered carryover are the revised 3.6-liter DI V-6 and the 6L45E six-speed automatic transmission. It rolls on GM's new lightweight Alpha architecture - the base ATS weighs just over 3300 pounds -- and the chassis has been tuned to deliver razor-sharp steering, precise handling, and buttoned-down ride. The car has been optimized around 17- and 18-inch wheels to keep weight down and improve agility.

The first pre-production cars rolled down the line at the Lansing Grand River Assembly plant in Michigan just before Christmas. The ATS will launch as a sedan only, but coupe, convertible and wagon versions will be rolled out over the next two to three years. There will also be V-series versions. No official word on powertrain for the ATS-V, but a twin-turbo version of the 3.6-liter V-6 looks likely, partly because of the tight underhood packaging, but also because rivals like BMW's next-gen M3 are moving to smaller forced induction powerplants.
Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/auto_show...t_2013_cadillac_ats_first_look/#ixzz1iuFAEVF2

#146 ·
can't wait to test drive one...magnetic ride control, limited slip differential, FE3 suspension with Brembo brakes....bring it on Caddy! :)

I love bimmers but a healthy competition will keep both marques on their toes and, ultimately, benefit all of us! ;)

#147 ·
I drove a CTS-V with the magnetic ride technology. It was very impressive and light years ahead of the OEM shocks on my 2007 335i.

CA

#183 ·
ill believe all this stuff when i see it...

weight, acceleration times, steering feel, price...when i see it...

looking forward to the first instrument test

#187 ·
The 991 is the only car on the market with enviable weight. 3000 pounds and 350 HP. Plain Carrera.

#189 · (Edited)
Interesting. I find it a little hard to believe Cadillac is bringing their specifically designed 3 Series fighter to market with some significant short comings from the get go. Of course, if, as was posted here, they used the E46 as their benchmark, I guess it's not surprising. I still find it virtually unbelievable that they chose a benchmark that is now two generations old.

#195 · (Edited)
I agree. The interior is typical overdone GM. And, too, about the back seat. I have a friend who has an IS and I hate sitting back there. Cramped, no legroom and I'm 5'8". The CTS is just the same. With its wide C pillars and low seat cushion it feels like you're sitting in a dark hole.

#197 ·
Repost. This is the story that started the day.

Just found this:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/04/2013-cadillac-ats-more-details.html

As GM prepares to launch its Cadillac ATS this summer more information is beginning to leak out, including standard features and what trims will have an available manual transmission.

Starting with the engine lineup, we now have more accurate power figures. The 2.5-liter four-cylinder will produce 202 horsepower and 190 pounds-feet of torque; the turbo 2.0-liter four-cylinder will produce 272 hp and 260 pounds-feet of torque and the 3.6-liter V-6 will produce 321 hp and 274 pounds-feet of torque. Those figures are a bit higher than the estimates Cadillac gave us at the 2012 Detroit auto show.

All three engines can run on regular gas, though Cadillac recommends premium with the turbo. While the original Cadillac release stated that all-wheel drive would be an option for all engines, it turns out it won't be for the base 2.5-liter powertrain. All motors come standard with a six-speed automatic transmission, with a six-speed manual transmission optional on the turbo 2.0-liter four cylinder with rear-wheel drive only, according to GM. The 3.6-liter engine will be E85-compatible.

The 2013 Cadillac ATS will be available in Standard, Luxury, Performance and Premium trims. The 2.5-liter is only available on Standard and Luxury trims; the 2.0-liter turbo four is available in in all trim packages. The 3.6-liter V-6 is available in Luxury, Performance and Premium trims.

Standard, Luxury and Performance models come with a FE2 sport suspension setup, while Premium rear-wheel-drive models have an available FE3 sport suspension, performance cooling system, limited slip differential and magnetic ride control with real-time damping. Brembo-brand performance brakes are an option across the board.

Base ATS models come standard with 17-inch wheels, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter, an air filtration system, Bluetooth streaming audio, ambient interior lighting, OnStar with a one-year Directions and Connections subscription, perimeter security system, halogen headlamps with flash-to-pass, push-button start and dual-zone automatic climate control.

The Luxury Package adds a chrome grille, front parking sensor, a passive keyless-entry system, split-folding rear seat, leather upholstery, Brembo brakes, 10-way power driver's seat, heated side mirrors with auto-dimming driver's side mirror, auto-dimming rearview mirror, backup camera, and a 8-inch center console touch-screen with Cadillac's CUE multimedia system.

The Performance Package brings high-intensity-discharge headlamps with articulating lenses, LED headlight accent lighting, performance bucket seats, steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters (with an automatic transmission), 10-speaker Bose surround sound system, rain-sensing wipers, rear passenger side-impact airbags, rear parking sonar, forward collision alert system and a lane departure warning system.

Lastly, the Premium Package includes 18-inch alloy wheels, a color head-up display and a navigation system.

We'll have more information on the ATS, including pricing and gas mileage, closer to the model's on-sale date.

#198 ·
It looks like the ATS options packages are not much different than BMW's lines. If you want a LSD you have to get the Premium Trim package. Same for magnetic shocks and the FE3 suspension. It's unknown if items like HID's will be options on lower model cars.

However id the Performance model with the 2.0l turbo is affordable this could be a great choice for my next car if I can no longer budget for a 3 series.

#199 · (Edited)
I agree they need to undercut BMW's price.

A lot of the above negative comments were made by those who had not paid much attention to GM's latest models.

I was very skeptical until I was forced to drive a high mileage compact car for commute. The Chevy Cruze Eco MT turned out to be the best of the bunch, fun to drive, very tossable and the solid build quality feels like it is a much more expensive car than it is.

The CTS has also been a solid performer. But the ATS will face more difficult tests.

BTW, I was puzzled by the ATS' trims, the Premium trim has all the performance options, the Performance trim shares most options with the base model.

Here is a more complete trim/options link:

http://www.lotpro.com/cars/2013/cadillac/ats/features/

#200 ·
I don't care for the look of the ATS as it just looks too much like the CTS. I also fear that somehow GM will screw it up. I test drove the Buick Regal GS and it was a nice car with, at least for me, a major flaw. Every time I shifted into an even gear (pulling back) my elbow would bump into the center armrest. How do you design a car like that?

#214 ·
Lets hold on till the ATS actually comes out. Pre-production models often look nicer than what is sold to the public, especially performance wise. One of my friends at GM said that the interior in the production ATS was a little disappointing. He was also disappointed in the base engine and the fact that for now, the car will only be in sedan form. maybe they are doing this because they are unsure as to how it will be received. That should tell you something right there. We'll just have to wait and see.

#215 · (Edited)
Coupes' popularity is very low right now, not that they had been so great in the past. People these days want practicality to go with the look and performance, manufactures are giving them just that, in the form of a sedan.

Unless GM is just blowing hot air, if they want to make a good entry, the ATS better perform well.

The new Regal GS actually performed very well in specific performance tests, but lacked in 0-60 time. But 0-60 is all most people care about. Buick also carries a lot of stigma. Cadillac has the same image issue, but it stands a much better chance to prove itself than Buick.

#223 ·
I would wait for final pricing to really gauge if GM is serious about undercutting BMW, Audi, Merc and others with their pricing.... Personally I will be very surprised if these wind up being much less than a new 3-series, especially if you factor resale and included maintenance into the picture... there's no question they will be cheaper, but how much cheaper remains to be seen.

These cars look interesting but I am not a big fan of the wedge front end shape. My wife and I stayed at a resort over the weekend that had two Cadillacs parked there for marketing purposes. One was some kind of sport wagon that had a $60,000 price tag. The other was a hybrid Escalade that stickered at $90,000 (and gets a whopping 20 mpg, yippie!!).... Considering that either one will be worth less than 50% after 3 years they seem like extremely bad value propositions to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.