BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

328i feels like an undwhelming boat :(

67K views 955 replies 108 participants last post by  dtc100 
#1 ·
After 13 weeks of waiting for my 328i.
And after having driven it for a week.
It hurts me to say that the 328i feels like an undwhelming boat.
I'm not terribly disappointed because its a beautiful luxury car.
But I don't think it's the ultimate driving machine.
Maybe the 335i is, but I've not driven it so I can't say for sure.
Already planning to get a Z4 or the new Boxster for thrillfull driving.
Hate me for saying all this.
But I simply had to say it.
And I gave it a week.
Maybe I'll feel differently in a month.
But maybe that will be cuz I might have got used to this 328i by then.
:(

#3 ·
You should really consider a few mods before you throw in the towel. Frankly, as "tuneable" as these turbo I-4s are, I am surprised that we aren't seeing/hearing about more software updates. With a few tweaks to the code, an exhaust, and a cold air intake, I bet you can pull another 100 ponies out of a 328i for not too much $. I would check out what some of our Bimmerfest sponsors are offering or have under development.

#6 · (Edited)
OP, sorry to hear that. to be completely honest it sounds like you should have gotten sportline, or at the very least the adaptive suspension. How many miles are on your car? My dad had an X3 for a few days and returned it, it had 150 miles on the car. They might let you return it if your getting another BMW.

Like jon said, some coil overs will quickly change your tune about it feeling like a boat.

If your dealer lets you swap for a sportline, make sure it has the sport auto.

#8 ·
After 13 weeks of waiting for my 328i.
And after having driven it for a week.
It hurts me to say that the 328i feels like an undwhelming boat.
I'm not terribly disappointed because its a beautiful luxury car.
But I don't think it's the ultimate driving machine.
Maybe the 335i is, but I've not driven it so I can't say for sure.
Already planning to get a Z4 or the new Boxster for thrillfull driving.
Hate me for saying all this.
But I simply had to say it.
And I gave it a week.
Maybe I'll feel differently in a month.
But maybe that will be cuz I might have got used to this 328i by then.
I mean this sincerely because you're a nice kid and a lot of us have tried to help you all summer: You clearly bought the wrong car.

- You came off a Mini Cooper S which is a go-kart compared to the F30.

- You bought a stripper with practically no options.

- You didn't do any research on features.

- Saving money is more important to you than performance.

From Auto Start/Stop to folding rear seats to comfort access to Bluetooth to iPod USB there's not an available feature on the car that you understood or comprehended wasn't on your build. I myself must have answered two dozen of your questions and they always went something like "sorry, you don't have Enhanced USB so you can't..."

The F30 is designed to be a sporty $50,000 luxury car. While you can buy it for $38,000 it's not intended to be very enjoyable that way as its "missing" features you can get standard on an Acura TL for a song.

So I'd argue that if you expected the Ultimate Driving Machine after coming off a tiny Mini Cooper and skipped the Sport line, that's a mistake on your part alone. You bought a car that's 30% larger and you're surprised? No different than skipping the Technology package and then writing your letter to BMW about "missing" USB and Bluetooth features.

You bought the wrong car, period. It's not an under-featured boat if you pay more and option it correctly. Talk to your dealer, trade it in for the Clubman you should have bought instead.

BJ

#9 ·
I test drove a 2012 328i 6-speed. I wasn't aware of the various settings when the drive started and did not have it in sport mode. I thought the steering lacked feeling and the suspension was too soft. I then put it in sport mode and that did sharpen things up. I'm taking a leap of faith that the Sportline I have on order will be a significant improvement as the base package was not sporty enough for me.

#42 · (Edited)
You should have gone for the M Sport, I am driving the 328i Sport touring, and find a delay in change down through the gears,very unsettling, it seems to drop into neutral between gears which gives the feeling of speeding up between changes, the suspension is soft and steering poor, this luckily is a bmw loaner till my 330D M Sport touring with adaptive suspension and sports gearbox arrives. I would not want this car at all.:(

#10 ·
Really? I have seen one other thread like this. A lot? Where are they?
You have to do a lot of inter thread reading, but its out there. Mostly X1, X3, 3 series threads with new owners basically asking the same thing. "did I buy the right one" or "bought the 4 cylinder because of budget constraints", "did I do the right thing by getting the 4?".

You won't find too many threads as blatant as this one. Clearly regret as opposed to making the best of their purchase decision.

#12 ·
Not much I can add to what other people have added here. Jon I believe said it best, get some mods but start with a wheels and tires. If you have the base model that means you have the 17 inch wheels. No good at all. Get aggressive on the wheel/tire setup. then look into suspension bits. this car is very very solid so it can take the suspension upgrades and give you the feel you need.

in otherwords the money you tried saving in the beginning you will need to spend now to get the car you want.

#14 ·
So, you guys are basically agreeing and saying that "out of the box" BMW's flagship car is not the "Ultimate Driving Machine". It needs mods and bigger wheels and packages and such. Sad.

I'm loving the car, don't get me wrong. It drives very well. Just not fast enough. I of course knew it wasn't going to handle like my Cooper S.

#17 ·
So, you guys are basically agreeing and saying that "out of the box" BMW's flagship car is not the "Ultimate Driving Machine". It needs mods and bigger wheels and packages and such. Sad.
Welcome to 2005.

Since the E46 was put to pasture, "out of the box" means a $349 a month stripper for mass consumption of an underfeatured car that's less tight and sporty than the $599 a month fully-featured version. This has evolved even moreso for the F30.

It's pay-as-you-go driving, and frankly I for one prefer it that way. The E90 ride was harsh and I'm thrilled I have a softer version now. It's more comfortable for myself and my family.

Those who make the jump from the Mini Cooper to the 328i do it for one reason and it comes with one consequence- they are married, expecting kids in the next 36 months, they get a bigger, more comfortable car and sacrifice go-kart handling.

I don't want to overstep my bounds, but in reading you over the past 4 months you sound like someone who pinched pennies to get a German luxury car he could not afford and then is running around complaining about the very features he deliberately left off. Just last week, you posted a thread on two forums entitled "Where is the digital speedometer on this car?" as if passing on the Technology package meant you still should have that feature.

My advice to you: Get out now. You only have a week's mileage on the car, the MT is in high demand from an enthusiast perspective, and you live in snow-central without XDrive which is going to make your life even more miserable if you don't buy really expensive snow tires. The mods you're talking about to tighten the car up will cost several thousand dollars and you'll never be able to solve the USB and Bluetooth and head-up issues for the life of the car.

Next time, do the research. Don't just read "The Ultimate Driving Machine" tagline on TV and expect that a car with no options is going to be anything but pedestrian.

BJ

#15 ·
The 328i is a great car for all seasons. If you want to save $ sometimes and fly other times, it's perfect.

If you want fast, fast, fast all the time, then you really want a 335i.

#112 ·
Its funny, but I no longer consider my 335i that fast. I used to be blown away by the N54 motor and feel underwhelmed with the N55.

The N55 is a great motor, don't get me wrong. I just miss the N54.

I agree with the bells and whistles. If I went to a 328i to save money, I would still have to get my bells and whistles. Maybe cut down on a couple of things, but not much more than is in my 335i.

#18 ·
I test drove back to back 335xi msport manual and the 328 xi at stripper (no line) and I had a similar experience quite surprised because of the reviews here. My 2010 238xi yes it feels underpowered but it also doesn't have that much body roll, it feels tighter. The 335 xi was a completely different animal though, ... I'm getting one.

#24 ·
Not sure what you find "slow" about the car. Perhaps you are expecting some kind of Turbo kick? Instead you just go fast without any fuss. If you are used to the turbo kick from other cars, you won't find it here.

I don't know if your previous cooper was modded but the 328i should be faster.

#34 ·
Not sure what you find "slow" about the car. Perhaps you are expecting some kind of Turbo kick? Instead you just go fast without any fuss. If you are used to the turbo kick from other cars, you won't find it here.

I don't know if your previous cooper was modded but the 328i should be faster.
Cooper wasn't modded.

The 328i is quite adequate on highways. The Cooper S would run circles around it on suburban roads.

#33 ·
Here's an idea OP - why don't you join BMW CCA and take your car to a track event or autocross. See if your opinion changes after you get a chance to drive the car for real. Personally I got to drive a student's no line base model 328i automatic on the track and was thoroughly impressed with it.

Expectations control satisfaction - if you expected your car to be a 2 seat sports car like either the Boxster or Z4, then of course you would be disappointed. But I am sure you are intelligent enough to have understood that the 328i is NOT a 2 seat sports car before writing a check...right?

#37 ·
Research research research
cheers
vern

#39 ·
The numbers on the paper can be deceiving, when they cannot be applied on daily street driving much. That add to the fact he came from a smaller and lighter car. The complaint is natural. It is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slow.

He will get used to it. Just remember, don't test drive another smaller and sportier car and don't drive another car with more power during this lease term, you should be fine.

#58 ·
The numbers on the paper can be deceiving, when they cannot be applied on daily street driving much. That add to the fact he came from a smaller and lighter car. The complaint is natural. It is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slow.
You are absolutely right about my reason to transition away from the Cooper.

However, you have to be kidding yourself when you think that these so called options are going to make the car perform that much better. None of these are engine enhancements. Some of them might improve handling, but that's not much of a concern for me. It's the ponies. PONIES. This car is too big for just 240HP
As pointed out, this is all about expectations and perspective.

I came off of a 328i M-Sport with XDrive and to me the F30 feels like a much lighter, sportier, and responsive car. As far as acceleration goes, just pushing the button into Sport mode makes my car into a rocket. The F30 isn't as good in the corners as my M-Sport was, but I didn't expect it to be. It's far more comfortable, it has fantastic road manners, and it's loaded with luxurious features and technology that make the overall driving experience fantastic.

I think you may spend too much time in these discussion forms. Forms are a great source of information, but they are filled with enthusiasts who have expectations for this car that are very different than the typical driver. If you look closely, the enthusiasts buying the F30 are getting Sport line or M-Sport line and they are adding the adaptive suspension, and then further modding the car by either lowering it or adding performance parts. You can't expect a base 328i with no such sport options to drive anywhere near the type of performance that the enthusiasts in this forum are experiencing.

BJ

#44 ·
I have the base line with just a couple of options and I have to say I am very impressed with the way it drives. I can certainly afford more, but it didn't seem worth it to get options I would only use a couple of times. I do not consider myself a true enthusiast, but I like a car that handles well on highways as well as back roads. I drove this car all over Europe, mostly in comfort mode, but sport mode is where you want to be to really feel the power. I'm waiting to pick up my car within a week or so from the dealer so I can test the steering wheel vibration. I can't recall feeling it in Europe, but to be perfectly honest, I didn't drive it that slow. I'm also coming from a large SUV, so this car feels tiny compared to what I was driving.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App

#45 ·
Not to pile on but this is kind of confusing.

-You care about power... but go with the 2.0L instead of 3.0L engine?
-You care about handling... but don't get a model with the sport or adaptive M suspension?

The latter is especially puzzling since ZDH is such a cheap option as these things go.

#65 ·
Not to pile on but this is kind of confusing.

-You care about power... but go with the 2.0L instead of 3.0L engine?
-You care about handling... but don't get a model with the sport or adaptive M suspension?
That's just the tip of the iceberg. We've been trying to help him all summer to no avail:

- Wants to stream Bluetooth audio, didn't get the enhanced Bluetooth option.

- Wants iPod album art on the iDrive screen, didn't get the enhanced USB option.

- Wants complete iPhone compatibility, didn't stick with the 4S or get the snap-in adapter.

- Wants a digital speedometer, didn't get the HUD.

- Wants the magic trunk opener, didn't get comfort access.

There are more, too many to remember. Between the two forums almost every-other day there's a new thread complaining about a "missing" feature or something not working.

The real issue is that the F30 is the car he wants but couldn't afford to option properly. Nothing we can do to help him from here.

BJ

#46 · (Edited)
I appreciate these responses guys even if we might not agree on some things. I'm sure much of my disappointment is a result of being used to a Cooper S that was fast and handled great.

And since I'm trying to rationalize this purchase for me now, I'm guessing that's what you get when buying a $40K 4-door sedan. I suppose it is some consolation that in this price range and car category, the 328i is as good as it gets. Maybe it is me. Maybe I'm just more of a roadster guy, just didn't realize that till I had already made the jump to this sedan.

On the bright side, come next spring, I can get a neat roadster as my 2nd car. Going to need this sedan for the family stuff eventually. I'm sure when we have kids, with a child seat in the back, the 328i will feel more than adequate cuz I won't be wanting to push it like I want to push it now.

Now my girl was putting makeup on in the car while we were going to a gala the other day. She, as always was running late. She did say that this was the MOST comfortable car to put makeup on. LOL

#56 ·
Boxter won't be a replacement. It will be the fun 2nd car. Will need the bigger sedan for the child seat, diapers, etc. lol.

Not sure if it will be a Boxster though. This time I'm going to try the hell out of a bunch of roadsters to pick the one I like the most...Boxter, Z4, maybe even the SLK.

I drove my cuz's SLS AMG earlier this year. Bad mistake. Cuz I'll never have that sort of coin and driving something like that is just so addictive.

#51 ·
Of course I test drove. But one, it was an auto (wasn't expecting much from it anyway). But how long can one test drive anyway.
I spent many months researching on paper/internet, 1 month test driving candidates, and several hours at the dealer per car once I narrowed it down. I even tracked down friends/neighbors/co-workers who had same or similar cars for opinions/rides.

Ultimately I spent at least 1/2 a day in the car I chose looking, driving, discussing, inspecting at the dealer. If your dealer doesn't allow you to take your time, find another dealer.

Even then, I stepped away for a week before I went back to make the deal just to make sure I had that gut feeling that it was the right choice.

Whether you are just stroking a check or stretching a budget to buy a car, you are in control on your choice. If you go purely on emotion (who doesn't at first?) then you might regret it.

OP, sounds like you did an impulse buy. Good luck to you.

#53 ·
OP, sounds like you did an impulse buy. Good luck to you.
Ha. Been wanting a 3 series all my life. Hardly an impulse buy. Test drove the AT 2x. I just never ever imagined that the 3 would seem underwhelming given BMW engineering an all. I suppose that was too much faith to put in and too much to expect.

Maybe Apple has spoiled me. I can blindly buy the new iPhone and know that it's going to be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.