BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

People's Reactions To You Driving A BMW?

142K views 1K replies 201 participants last post by  beden1 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
reaction to you driving a BMW

So far from my experience, they have been neutral to negative (regarding random people on the street). Majority of the time I just see people staring. However, some times they are just rude.

For example, when driving, they will not let you into a lane, tailgate, beep their horns for the most random reason, etc. Park your car in a nearly empty parking lot away from everybody else...you come back, and somebody parks right next to you, making it difficult to open your door.

It might stem from jealousy or previous experiences with BMW owners. For example, some idiot kids that drive used bmws leaning back in their cars blasting music, showing off, thinking they've made it in life lol :rofl:. I can see why it might rub people the wrong way.

For the most part I don't mention at all the car I drive and where I live but when some old(or new) friends want to meet up and they see me pulling up in the BMW, or even see my house for the first time, they normally ask all kinds of questions and are genuinely interested, and have no negative feelings. It seems to be a whole different story for strangers. :dunno:

You guys?

See less See more
#2 ·
In Northern Virginia, BMWs are as common as cockroaches. Nobody gives a crap. You have to be in a Ferrari before anyone even notices you are driving something different. The parking lot at my office has at least 8 BMWs that I know of, including an Alpina B7. On the lot on the other side is a red Ferrari - now that I notice. I have seen several Tesla S around.

#3 ·
I'm 23 and drive a 528. For the most part I don't notice anything different than when I drove a CTS. I've never had any negative experiences driving thus far. I usually do park far, far, far away from everyone else, but that can be difficult on a college campus.

I can tell you firsthand, people are (generally) not impressed with BMWs anymore. They aren't special. My car has gotten me exactly 0 dates thus far. 0 girls have shown interest in my car. However, every now and then some dude with roll down his window and tell me nice car or give the thumbs up....could care less.

Disclaimer: I'm not an ugly dude either. Women seem to like Audi drivers I guess :rolleyes:

#356 ·
0 girls have shown interest in my car. However, every now and then some dude with roll down his window and tell me nice car or give the thumbs up....could care less.

Disclaimer: I'm not an ugly dude either. Women seem to like Audi drivers I guess :rolleyes:
Damn, my cars have gotten me a lot of girls actually, or at least were conversation starters back when I was single. Actually, the first day I met my current GF who is a car FANATIC, the first thing she mentioned was my car.

I used to stand out when I drove a 5 series when I was 15 years old haha. I live in a town which is listed in the top 25 most wealthy towns in the USA (not bragging at all, just using the info for the thread)... So, I DO NOT stand out next to Bugattis and Lambos...

That being said, kids/young adults, including the rich ones with nicer cars than mine, REALLY like my new 2012 F30 Modern Line and have been getting compliments daily. So ya, when I drive out of my county I get some good attention, at home I kind of just blend in. I just remembered a lady at the doctor's office who came up to my window saying how nice my car was and asked if it was a 7 series :p

#4 ·
Many years of BMW ownership arrogance and the image that it portrayed, and as HokieDriver stated, BMWs are dime a dozen here in southern California. Nothing special.

It does appear as if BMW had been overtaken by other marques such as Audi. They really make beautiful cars.

#12 ·
Many years of BMW ownership arrogance and the image that it portrayed, and as HokieDriver stated, BMWs are dime a dozen here in southern California. Nothing special.

It does appear as if BMW had been overtaken by other marques such as Audi. They really make beautiful cars.
Yes, the 3 is the Civic of LA, although it is a little bigger now. And while people are generally not impressed by BMWs, they often suspect the drivers of BMWs seek hard to impress, especially if the ones who look like punks. So it is the worse of both worlds in that sense: they don't impress yet some people think you are trying to impress. Translation, they may assume you are a douche who is trying too hard.

#6 ·
Yeah, same here. There appears to be more Bimmers on our roads than Ford Fiesta, Chevy anything, etc. In fact, after trucks and SUV, it seems that Bimmers are the most numerous cars. Volvo, Audi and MB have all been getting quite numerous lately, along with VW and Prius.

#10 ·
So far from my experience, they have been neutral to negative (regarding random people on the street). Majority of the time I just see people staring. However, some times they are just rude.

For example, when driving, they will not let you into a lane, tailgate, beep their horns for the most random reason, etc. Park your car in a nearly empty parking lot away from everybody else...you come back, and somebody parks right next to you, making it difficult to open your door.

It might stem from jealousy or previous experiences with BMW owners. For example, some idiot kids that drive used bmws leaning back in their cars blasting music, showing off, thinking they've made it in life lol :rofl:. I can see why it might rub people the wrong way.

For the most part I don't mention at all the car I drive and where I live but when some old(or new) friends want to meet up and they see me pulling up in the BMW, or even see my house for the first time, they normally ask all kinds of questions and are genuinely interested, and have no negative feelings. It seems to be a whole different story for strangers. :dunno:

You guys?
It's an interesting question.

One issue is how it's perceived just money-wise. I think that really depends on where you live and what your circles are. Some people might think you are driving a mass produced watered down cheap European auto. Others are going to see it as a ridiculously expensive flashy elitist car for arrogant Aryans. I have successful Jewish friends who won't touch a German car for that reason--they all drive Acuras and Lexus.

I also live in an area with very expensive cars being the norm (Santa Monica). So driving it to work or around town = not a big deal at all. However, if I still lived where I grew up back east in Massachusetts, it would have been seen as very gauche not to drive a beat up Saab or Suburu instead.

Another issue is that I think there's a perception that because a BMW is a "driver's car" that it means its drivers are aggressive and obnoxious. This actually was my wife's primary objection. Not sure where that reputation came from, however. I've seen nice polite BMW drivers and obnoxious a-holes in Ford Fiestas.

YMMV

#14 ·
ive only had one uncalled for incident and that ws one time i was rolling up to a red light and some woman behind me was all angry and started flashing her beams and honking only to have to stop 15 yards later. then at the next light there was two lanes and the person in the left was turning, i was in the right and i just started going and took my time through the intersection, and since she had to wait to pass me she got super angry and flew around me and started going super slow in front of me to "get me back", so i had to go around her, but when i went to go around her, she tried to push me into oncoming traffic. so i just sped up enough to pass her anyway, and then she comes up again on my right hand side, i figured by this point she needed to be stopped, so right as she was near my rear right quarter i juiced it and turn-checked her and she shat herself and slammed on her brakes, she didnt pursue after that

#249 ·
Nice job! If someone is a an asshole to me, I will be one back. Just the other day, some idiot with a bright yellow Corolla raced past me in I80. I was doing 60mph. He then gets in front of me and repeatedly breakchecks me. I pull into the other lane and he slows down so we are neck and neck. He rolled down his windows and just floors it. He had a car-length head start and I popped mine in sport mode and just floored it as well. I passed him at 120mph and flipped him off as I did. He slammed his brakes and go across 3 lanes to an exit. I later found out who he was from a racing buddy and asked him how he liked tasting BMW fumes. He was pissed claiming he was going easy.... Yeah like a stock 4-cylinder Corolla is going to beat my E90....

BMWs common as Hondas where I live. No biggie. But damn, if I'd only ordered the Police Ramming Bumpers option I could get those damn Obama-loving, Global warming-believing, Prius-owning goobersmoochers out of my way. The left lane is for passing, ahole. GTF out of the way. I'll say this though, the Xenon Angel Eyes get most of the people to move over. BTW, Audi's eyebrow lights are gay. There. I think I've offended everybody.
I have a 328xi that was initally a gift from a family member, but I forced them to take the money. I had put down money for a 2014 Mustang GT C/S ($46,000, fully loaded), yet my Beemer was just $20k since it was a lease and it has a previously salvaged title. I don't want to car anymore, but it's a pain to sell it.... I get a lot of looks at school since it is one of the nicer cars, even nicer than most of the teachers there, so I do get the looks but never got any rude comments from anyone I know personally. Usually just nice car and so on....

This debate needs some perspective. Where I live in Northern VA, people wipe their asses with 3 series. It's REALLY nothing special. I suspect it's that way along the coasts in the urban areas, where many of us are from. If you look at the top 10 earning counties in the US I bet 8-9 of then are along the coasts in major metro areas (NY/NJ/VA/LA/SF etc). Of course if you average it across the entire nation the numbers tell a different story. But many are comparing with our neighbors, friends, and coworkers; not the average family of 4 from Nebraska making 50k a year. So yes, BMW is a status symbol in most parts of the country but chances are if you are even frequenting a forum such as this, you're likely in an area where a BMW is nothing special.
Here in the more affluent part of Nebraska, BMWs are not common but there are a few. Fords, Toyotas and Chevys are abundant but it might have to do with the fact that Iam in the middle of nowhere..... The average income where I live is around $80-$100 and most drive moderately priced cars. My father takes a salary of just $60k from his business and my mom just $1 (figurehead salary) yet they own 100% equity in their business that is worth 7-figures. He also owns acres of land in India, China, and London, yet my dad is insistent on living in a $100,000 home and is content in driving a $20,000 Honda Insight. I guess he gets a kick out of not spending his money. The only thing my parents buy is gold. By the pounds..... :dunno:

Your friend sounds like he has a Very Nice place. Some parts of London are amongst the highest priced real estate in the world. He must be in one of those places. Congrats to him on his success! :beerchug:

Very rich people got that way by not spending their money on cars and stuff like that. The Realllllly rich people that I know, told me that a car is just means of transportation and that why should they spend a ton of money on something that's just going to depreciate quicker than your money can earn? This was told to me by someone worth north of $400 mil that still drives his 2003 Mercedes S Class (which he bought used).

A better example is Warren Buffett (one of the richest men in the world and runs Berkshire Hathaway amongst other thriving businesses). He bought himself a used Cadillac and still lives in the same house that he's had for 30+ years. He's not only Extremely smart with his money, but thrifty too.

Sorry for the rant off topic, and now back to our regularly scheduled program. :D
I had an interview with Warren Buffett and he picked the place to meet and it was Picocolo's. Never been there considering I am a vegetarian, but I was not going to argue with him. :) Anyways, I show up 10 minutes before and I was waiting in my car so I could be punctual. He pulls up next to me in a CTS. We had a great meal err.... he had a great meal and I had french fries. Still it was one of the best moments of my life to date. When the bill shows up, he jokingly asked if I was picking up the bill. I said of course, but he did not let me. He is a truly remarkable person.

You've got new friends now, welcome aboard.

My brother-in-law won't talk to my wife or I because he Googled us and found our salaries and was flabbergasted by what we make. Somehow, all the years he goofed-off in his 20's and 30's while we were busting our asses is forgotten now, somehow we are 'lucky' and he is 'smarter than the both of us' and he can't bear to see us seeing that he makes 1/10 of what we do.

You worked hard. Never be ashamed of what you accomplished. Don't throw your wealth in anyone's face, but by the same token don't let anyone throw their poverty in yours. As you get older and marry and have kids, you'll make a ton of new friends and they'll be in your social and financial state and that obstacle will vanish.

Congrats on having your head on straight and the new car.

BJ
How do you find out what someone makes on Google? :confused:

Nobody NEEDS a gulfstream. He could do just as well flying coach - but he won't. $500k house - again depending where and when he bought it. Was it 500k 30 years ago or now? 500k house in the middle of Wyoming is HUGE compared to a 500k house in NY (which would be a bread box). Just comparing $$$ of home is not good enough - but still, a 500k house is a lot less then some others.

Again, I don't know the man or if he is extremely extravagant or not (what do his suits cost...are they Wal-mart specials, or custom suits).

Lots of old folks drive themselves.

Again, not belittling his lifestyle - his money, he can live it however he wants - just saying, we all have different ways of showing off our wealth/status.
His house was $30k back in the 50's. That works out to $200k-$300k in today's dollars. While that is pricey here in Nebraska, it is not extravagant. Some of my father's friends who make under $100k own $300k+ homes. The greater Dundee area has vastly increased in land value and that is why his home is worth so much. Yes, he has a plane, but he has a reason. I asked him what he would purchase if money was no object (for him it nearly is....), he said time. Time is limited, he wanted more time to do things he enjoys like card games and reading.

I guess the GulfStream is to go from point A to point B without wasting time at major hubs.... Flying from Omaha to Chicago is a MUST if you want to fly to any major airport.

#15 ·
People are floored by my distinguished look whether I'm in my BMW or not.

#17 ·
I never got looks from the ladies with any previous car I have driven. Once I got a BMW, they look all the time....even comment. :thumbup:

I live in an area where $100K cars are the norm. My 328i blends in perfectly...stands out and is invisible at the appropriate times.

#20 ·
I have to say that there's a bit of a difference depending on what area of town I'm in. Around where I live, there are barely any BMW's...or any other luxury car. But I work in a very popular business district, and there are like 10 BMW's just on our parking lot. In that area I constantly see Ferraris, Lambos, and even saw a Veyron once.

But yeah, San Diego has some very expensive areas, and some that are much cheaper, and they're within minutes of each other. A BMW means a lot more in the latter.

#21 ·
I get a fair amount of attention here even though its a BMW saturated market.

It's rarely negative. I find some people ride my ass or pull up right to it for no reason, or wont let me in even though I signal.

The older one gets a lot more attention due to the sound it makes. I think the only reason the F30 gets so many looks is the color and wheels, if it was silver and had stock wheels, I think no one would give it a second glance.

#233 ·
My E46 M3 with AC Schnitzer exhaust got a lot of attention due to its sound.

#22 ·
A lot of interesting opinions! I agree with almost all of you that said bmws are a dime a dozen now, especially where I live, yet you would think people wouldn't be so negative towards it, however it still seems to happen. Oh well, what are you going to do. Enjoy your car for yourself and forget what other people think.

#42 · (Edited)
+1, the only people that appreciate our cars are other BMW enthusiasts who actually know the chassis code. Most people that drive the dime a dozen, don't even know what an F30 or E90 stands for. When I asked a co-worker he thought it was motor oil...sigh :(

Funny the main reason I got my E46 ZHP in SGM was to blend in with so many of the other BMWs on the road with the same color; specifically not to stand out. Hopefully to keep the cops from profiling your car.

#27 ·
On Thursday, my wife and I returned to the car after having lunch. I'm parallel parked on the street and I slowly start to move forward after checking that it was clear to proceed. I just happened to glance to my right and saw a 21 year old male (or thereabouts) on the sidewalk going full speed on his bike and heading right in front of my car. I stop and he crosses, and while doing so, he spits all over the front of my car. I couldn't believe my eyes. I then start to pull out fast to follow this turd of a human being and my wife yelled to stop. I look at the kid down the street just nodding with a proud look on his face. I was pissed to say the least. F'n animal!

#41 ·
Probably an OWS protestor, no doubt.

A guy I work with has a Porsche Caymen. It's not even that expensive. He has the base model, not the S. it's still really nice. It's black and looks really hot.

Anyway, he took it to one of the local malls and parked way out by himself. Someone keyed him, and left a note on his car that said, "why don't you park with the rest if us".

Pathetic!

#28 · (Edited)
I don't think normal people as in strangers care at all. Though I did have a random guy at the park ask how much I liked it since he was ordering one.

I'd say the one thing is amongst your own friends they do notice but its more in a trying to gauge you as a person and income wise sort of way. I'm 32 and a lot of my friends work in the tech field. Or fields that pay less than that given tech pays pretty well. Now I work my ass off and consider myself a smart guy and I'd say I probably make more than 95% of people in my groups of friends.. have had to jump jobs and get promoted and scrap for it. And I love cars and figure spend money on what you like.

Now at 32 most people are probably still paying college loans and buying "sensible" cars. I have had a few nicerish cars had an acura and an Audi which are not uncommon but nicer than say a Honda fit. Cars are pretty easy to see ... so your peers know either you are completely irresponsible money wise or somehow you've just made it a bit farther. I'm actually really good with money and I just plain make more.

You get the occasional damn new car again , baller... blah blah comment. I dunno what to say to it. But whatever I keep working to move up the ladder and some people don't. Most if my friends just stay in the same job not moving up or around forever. So I probably end up buying nicer stuff and saving more than most people I'd wager. And I'm always just like you need to just be aggressive with your career take a risk they pay off and you get more money. No one listens to me because I'm "crazy money wasting irresponsible" guy. But they notice the fruits of that or just assume you are an idiot with money because you aren't scraping every dollar you have up to say pay off debt or save to buy an overpriced house and be in even more debt. Seems to be the life game plan most people I know subscribe to.

#29 ·
Buying a "luxury" car does get a certain reaction from some people in your life.

It's funny how people can buy a $40k mini-van or SUV and its considered normal. But by a $45k BMW and all of a sudden people think you are rich, or living above your means or something.

#30 ·
i know people who buy things like say a brand new highlander or a sienna who make say less than half of what i do, but its totally acceptable since say they have a kid. on top of that i dont have a kid. 1 kid = 1 M3 in costs im sure every 4-5 years.

i once told a coworker, that the difference between my new bmw and his new mazdaspeed3 , was that he also owned a sportbike and a dog per month if you divide up how long you own those items for. but the perception of it being extravagant is still there.

#32 ·
Depending on where you live these cars are more or less common. They don't outnumber the other cars (e.g., ford) as another post said .You may think they do, but guess what - it doesn't. There are a number of factors why someone thinks the BMW is more common then other cars: 1) We tend to lump all the models of one series together (e.g., 325, 328, 330, 335 and m3) - These are similar cars, but different in many ways, including price. 2) Depending where you live there may be more or less of BMWs. This will skew your perception. 3) Because we own BMWs we tend to notice them more. When I see a 3 series going down the street I check it out. When I see an Audi I don't give it a second glance.

BMWs have a perception of being a rich mans car, and because of that there is a transfer of status (positive and negative). These cars (even just 3 series) has a very WIDE price range, going from low 30's to 70's. These are not insignificant prices, but not a rich mans car. Everyone here should get over it and themselves.

Buy what you want for whatever reason you want and stand by your decision. The moment you start second guessing yourself on something as mundane as "what do people think of me" then you have just reduced yourself to the level of a 6 year old trying to fit in school at the lunchroom.

#33 ·
BMWs common as Hondas where I live. No biggie. But damn, if I'd only ordered the Police Ramming Bumpers option I could get those damn Obama-loving, Global warming-believing, Prius-owning goobersmoochers out of my way. The left lane is for passing, ahole. GTF out of the way. I'll say this though, the Xenon Angel Eyes get most of the people to move over. BTW, Audi's eyebrow lights are gay. There. I think I've offended everybody.

#35 · (Edited)
I find that people are totally indifferent to me when I am driving a BMW.
Just like when I am not driving a BMW.

CA

#36 ·
I really hate h8ters =.=

I am a silent guy in the road, that i always hang out in the middle lane, Cruz Crtl On to the speed limit posted, best of all watching my music videos Hot Chicks dancing in my Nav Screen.
If a person is being a douche bag to me, i would just turn on sport mode, get behind him and pace him to get caught speeding by the police :p
So far, 2 people fell victim :3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.