BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Wanted to upgrade to an F30 but not sure now...

29K views 592 replies 57 participants last post by  moviebumm 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I own a E90 328i with sports/premium pkg and navigation. Last weekend, I got a 328i F30 loaner (sport line) while my car was at the local BMW dealership for a power supply recall. I spent a day driving the F30 loaner and here's my take on it:

- Exterior
1) I liked the new hood design in the front but at times it looked silly/weird from some angles. But overall it is not as bad as I had thought initially.
2) It looked much bigger and has more interior room, which we all know!
3) I didn't like the overall stance of the car when looking from the rear and the tires seemed a little thin/narrower as compared to my BMW E90. The stance didn't look as beefy and strong as my E90. I have a LCI and have LEDs all around and didn't like the fact that F30 didn't have them. To me, it seemed to have gone backwards in terms of the exterior styling/technology a bit.

- Interior
1) I liked the interior overall, however I felt that the material quality has gone down a bit. For example, when I pressed the silver trim on the dash, it made a creaking noise. I noticed this on the doors as well. When I pressed some of the plastics on the door, I noticed the same. The E90 trim doesn't make this noise and the build quality seemed more tight. Also, the design of the dash and the center arm knob/controller didn't flow that well in my opinion. It looked a little too busy with the design and less elegant.
2) The navigation didn't seem too much different compared to my 4 year old E90.
3) The seats seemed comfortable and cushy as compared to my E90.
4) The buttons to adjust the windows/mirrors on the driver side arm rest were at an awkward angle. It was a little annoying to access them at times.
5) The plastic moon roof cover that slides back felt a little flimsy and loose as compared to the E90.
6) Sitting inside, it didn't feel like a small/medium size 3 series, it felt much bigger and had a different feel.
7) The glove box seemed flimsy and looked a bit cheap as well.
8) The stock stereo on my E90 sounded better than the one on the F30.

- Driving experience
1) The F30 felt like a very different car and even my tech adviser agreed to that.
2) I thought the steering on the E90 was much more precise and felt better. The road feel in my E90 is amazing and I like the heaviness that I feel through the steering when going into corners. The F30 felt quite different in this respect. The steering was a little vague at times and I didn't feel confident going around corners. This would be a deal killer for me. I hope BMW can make the steering feel more natural like the E90 in future. The steering on the F30 is precise but the feel is vague so it doesn't give the driver the confidence to go around corners at high speeds. I also own a 2013 Honda Accord and I thought the steering on my Accord felt better than the F30 (better as in less vague), especially the on-center feel. This is just my observation.
3) The 4-banger on the F30 didn't feel as smooth as the Inline-6. However, the torque was amazing and it was very responsive. I also didn't like the way the 4-banger sounded. I thought the Inline-6 sounded much better and felt more smoother/refined overall. That means, I won't be getting a 328i in future and will probably go for the 335i or 340i or whatever! Overall, the F30 was way quicker than the E90 but I wished they had stuck to the Inline-6.
4) I had to press the brake pedal quite a bit to make the F30 come to a complete stop. This could be due to the air pressure on the tires as well but it is something I noticed.
5) The road noise was noticeable on the F30. My E90 has road noise as well but I thought the F30 was more noisy.

I want to upgrade my car soon but I'm going to hold off for now and wait for the LCI F30/BMW 4. I don't dislike the F30 but I feel its is a very different car! It seemed to have grown in size and the drive is a little numb. To me it seems that the 3 is targeted more towards the general audience now. Therefore, I hope that the BMW 4 or the LCI F30 will be more hardcore. Till then, I'm going to hold on to my E90! :thumbup:

See less See more
#316 ·
all i know is that one of the very last things I consider when it comes to cars is how they are viewed in relation to other cars. what difference does it make if the car you love to drive is entry-level or not. as beden1 said entry level is subjective. even if you drive a ferrari or a bentley, there's always going to be someone out there who has way more cash/buying power than you who will see your ride as "entry level". it's worrying about nothing

#319 ·
Main stream categorizations is that the 3 series is an entry level luxury sedan and the 1 series is the entry level luxury coupe.

#320 · (Edited)
I remember when I sold my 1975 MGB and bought a new 1979 320i. I was thrilled, and in my mind, I felt that somehow I had arrived as a result of hard work. There were many other cars that cost more, were faster and more luxurious, but I didn't care in the least because I loved that car.

I've been fortunate to feel that way about most cars that I've had since. For me, it's a personal feeling of satisfaction and enjoyment, and I could care less how others perceive my buying decisions.

#324 · (Edited)
Just for the hell of it I called BMW Manhattan and asked to speak to a salesman. I told him I was looking for a new car and was not familiar with the BMW brand. I asked him what the entry level model was for a sedan and without hesitation he said "The 3 Series".

CA

#327 ·
At 5'8, I am bellow average height, known as being short. In China, I was often one of the tallest people in the room. It did not mean I was no longer short LOL.

To me its the same with the 3 series. Just because I can take it places where it might be rare or a luxury, does not mean in reality it is still not an entry level luxury car which is anonymous and common in metropolitan areas.

#354 ·
Let's throw all these percentages, prices, and poverty lines out the window. They do not matter.

The 3-series is a four door family sedan that completes with the Merceds C-class, the Audi A4, the Lexus IS, the Cadillac ATS, etc in the "Entry Level Luxury" category.

It's not a 5, it's not 7; it's a 3, it's an entry level luxury car, and it's really that simple.

#363 ·
The 1 is the entry level coupe. The 3 is the entry level luxury family sedan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Bimmer App

#394 ·
The bottom line is that while the F30 may not have the sportier aspirations of the E9x gen cars, it's still the best in class. BMW may be the German GM, but they make better drivers cars at a more premium level. I am not a fan of the direction BMW has decided to take, with all this cost cutting(the F30 interior materials I think is a perfect example). The fact remains though, that the F30 is still the best in class and still remains king, at least for now.

#428 ·
The 4 Series is a Rebadged 3 Series.

CA

#434 ·
Yes, and the 3-series is a rebadged 7-series.:rofl:

#452 ·
It's all good. I'm going to be interested in getting my hands on a new M3/4 when they come out to compare to ours. I'm just not thrilled with the idea of a turbo lag engine.

#454 ·
You and me both.

I think the lag will be uber minimized as the M engineers know the expectations of an M3 buyer after years of amazingly responsive NA engines.

There is still rumor that the M3 is going to utilize twin turbos, but also a third electric turbo which eliminates lag. This has been noted by a few sources.

I could not justify an E90 M3 for my DD due to the tank size and highway MPG even though a '11 with demo miles could have been secured in my price range. The new M3, will fix that concern for me and will be a fitting replacement when I lose interest in the 328 3 years from now.

#474 ·
I drive a lot of rentals that fall into the category you describe and few have enough half of these features and none are remotely interesting to drive. Sure you can get a Kia Optima with decent features but why? BMW's and the like are not appliances. Yet you are adept at forgetting this to make a point that does not exist.

#489 ·
I wish this forum was moderated. Every single thread eventually devolves into a pissing match between poster X and BJ. While entertaining at times, actual useful into becomes harder and harder to find.

#490 ·
Forbes choose the BMW 3-series as the best drivers car in the "Entry-Level Premium" category. Another great victory over it's competitors; the Mercedes C-class, the Audi A4, the Acura TL, the Cadillac ATS, and the Lexus IS.

Bravo, BMW.

#495 ·
Forbes choose the BMW 3-series as the best drivers car in the "Entry-Level Premium" category. Another great victory over it's competitors; the Mercedes C-class, the Audi A4, the Acura TL, the Cadillac ATS, and the Lexus IS.

Bravo, BMW.
"Entry-Level Premium"

Here we go again.

: popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn:

#521 ·
This thread is funny.:)

#524 · (Edited)
We have two annual events here, Climb to the Clouds and Fall Foliage Run.

A cook out in New Jersey would be a great addition.

Or maybe not.

CA

#525 ·
Since everyone is relying on visual aid, and there is a general consensus we, although all driving entry level luxuries, nevertheless should be grateful of life in general, because a lot worse could have happened, I will contribute.

Came home today to this package. Found out the little one hacked into my online account and ordered a mini bag of chips, allegedly because the shipping was free.

Ok have to admit we have a case of quick learning here, cuz daddy is always in favor of free shipping deals when ordering online.

Apparently whoever shipped this little bag either had a very bad day, or a very good day. Needless to say I was relieved, a lot worse could have happened, the little one could have ordered an entry level luxury 3 series, and daddy could have come home to a freight train parked on the front porch.

Attachments

#528 ·
From my experience and perspective, the less wealthy among the wealthy tend to be more concerned with spending to impress others, while the truly wealthy tend to be less concerned with that and more low-key. Yes, I realize there are plenty of exceptions and that my observations are insufficient to amount to a general rule, but from growing up in NY at least, it certainly seems like this is the case.

Please forgive my off-topic post.

#529 ·
From my experience and perspective, the less wealthy among the wealthy tend to be more concerned with spending to impress others, while the truly wealthy tend to be less concerned with that and more low-key. Yes, I realize there are plenty of exceptions and that my observations are insufficient to amount to a general rule, but from growing up in NY at least, it certainly seems like this is the case.
It may be related to insecurity among the less wealthy or newly wealthy.

I have a friend who is a very successful businessman, very wealthy. He doesn't buy anything, drives a leased Volvo (for the comfy seats). It's because he's so obsessed with his work that I think he doesn't find enjoyment in material stuff like cars, watches, big houses etc. I don't think he has time for that kind of stuff.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is common among the very successful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.