BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is this really a 3 series ?

35K views 600 replies 67 participants last post by  t335xi 
#1 ·
Have my E70 in for service, I am driving a 2013 Luxury Line 328XI, the last 3 series that I had driven was my wifes's 2002 330xi years ago, I remember a tight driving, planted feel that truly had the BMW " FeeL'", Yes the new 2013 is a world away interior wise but taking the same off ramps compared to my X5, kind of shocked that my X5 feels much more planted and stable even though it is an SUV . I am truly hoping that the next X is not as soft , I guess the car mags were right on this one, hard to believe that that this is being billed as a
" sport sedan " , do not get me wrong, it is a nice vehicle but what truly sets this apart from the other competitors other than the badge ?

#589 · (Edited)
If it wasn't the M-sport which it wasn't, then it will feel considerably softer and have more body roll compared to previous generation 3 series. The M-sport is much more responsive but still gets knocked by car magazines for the lack of "driving experience" which can be contributed to BMW's switch to electric steering for the 3 series. Electric steering doesn't really transfer the road surface and what the wheels are doing do the steering wheel like traditional hydraulic steering does. But yeah, definitely much softer suspension in non m-sport 3 series then previous generations.

#596 ·
Just got a brand new 2013 335xi sportline without the adjustable suspension... I agree the interior, 0-60 time, MPG are what sold me.

Initially the suspension was good, and it can handle a sharp turn well, even now, however after a few hundred miles of break in I have noticed the suspension has gone softer.

After driving it for a month I have been rather shocked how soft and bouncy the suspension is and how awful the steering is, particularly at high speeds 60-85mph. Its like they tried to get a more luxurious suspension but keep some sport to it and it just failed miserably. The steering, most likely due to the bouncing suspension, is hard to handle precisley. Steering doesnt provide any feedback as to the road and no resistnace to hard turns. This is very dangerous at high speed when a slight bump can really turn the wheel.

Even mor dissappointing is the amount of front dive when braking or cornering. This is my first BMW after owning a Lexus IS300 and I am kind of wishing I had my old car back.
On a positive note its a fast car as advertised.

I had a 2013 528xi loaner the other day and it drove 100% better than my current car, although it didnt have much power.

#597 ·
Just got a brand new 2013 335xi sportline without the adjustable suspension... I agree the interior, 0-60 time, MPG are what sold me.

Initially the suspension was good, and it can handle a sharp turn well, even now, however after a few hundred miles of break in I have noticed the suspension has gone softer.

After driving it for a month I have been rather shocked how soft and bouncy the suspension is and how awful the steering is, particularly at high speeds 60-85mph. Its like they tried to get a more luxurious suspension but keep some sport to it and it just failed miserably. The steering, most likely due to the bouncing suspension, is hard to handle precisley. Steering doesnt provide any feedback as to the road and no resistnace to hard turns. This is very dangerous at high speed when a slight bump can really turn the wheel.

Even mor dissappointing is the amount of front dive when braking or cornering. This is my first BMW after owning a Lexus IS300 and I am kind of wishing I had my old car back.
On a positive note its a fast car as advertised.

I had a 2013 528xi loaner the other day and it drove 100% better than my current car, although it didnt have much power.
xDrive has stock (non sport suspension) if you don't get DHP with adaptive suspension.

#601 ·
I got the bmw for 3 reasons listed in order of magnitude, equal or better trim than lexus asthetically, equal or better speed and handling than lexus, good MPG rating, finally pricing was too good to be true. I am happy with how sticky the BMW is laterally gong around corners, its the vertical motions that the struts are not absorbing well.

I was very apprehensive to leave Lexus, and there's a noticeable differences in the quality of the service center at the dealership, and the dealership in general. I think it may just be German pragmatism, but the Lexus dealer is many times nicer and the staff really builds a personal relationship with the customers and knows what they are talking about. BMW, thus far, has yet to impress me at the dealer service center. My first and only visit I fealt like I was dealing with a bunch of highschool kids in dress shirts and ties. No one was professional and they were all much more interested in chatting with eachother and flirtin,g while kicking customers through the door, rather than doing their jobs. I am at the largest volume dealer in my state of Colorado so maybe thats the issue. Btw im only 29 so I dont want you to think I'm so old guy complaining about the youngins.

I considered an Audi S4 and almost bought one, but didnt due to their inability to offer fair pricing and reliability concerns (Many dash squeaks on the test drive).

I left Lexus because the 2013 IS250 & 350 are both now boats compared to the 2001-2006 IS300, and the 250 is laughably underpowered. Even the ISF is in the boat category for me... Most dissappointing is that the Lexus price points are much higher than BMW for a comparable vehicle. IS350 & ISF are both much more expensive and dont perform as well as their euro competators in performance, however they are pretty awesome in reliability and mpg. I literally have never had any issue with the Lexus other than needing a new suspension (shocks/struts) at 145k miles and I still own the car at 195K miles and 11 years old.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but you asked ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.