BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

'14 320i BMS Stage 1 Acceleration Runs Vid

144K views 2K replies 79 participants last post by  Kafkaesque328 
#1 · (Edited)
KAFKA's 320i Sport Car Journal - BMS Stage 1 Speed Runs, Pics, Video, Rambling

Just a quick video I took of a few acceleration runs in my 320i after installing the BMS Stage 1 tune. Didn't take a 'before' video, but there are a handful of stock 320i acceleration videos on youtube and most guys hover around 7 seconds, give or take. The tune brought me down to 6.1 and 6.3 in DS and full Sport. Just to give people an idea of the power bump on a +3PSI 'tune'. Been running it for 2k miles w/out a hiccup and I'd recommend it as a no-brainer to anyone with a 320. Haven't dyno'd the car but Terry's dynos with BMS show about 210hp/230tq at the wheels which, at the crank, translate to close to stock 328i numbers.

Something tells me this is a little 'optimistic' as the 328i stock is definitely faster in a straight line.

Thanks for watching.

#2 ·
Just a quick video I took of a few acceleration runs in my 320i after installing the BMS Stage 1 tune. Didn't take a 'before' video, but there are a handful of stock 320i acceleration videos on youtube and most guys hover around 7 seconds, give or take. The tune brought me down to 6.1 and 6.3 in DS and full Sport. Just to give people any idea of the power bump on a +3PSI 'tune'. Been running it for 2k miles w/out a hiccup and I'd recommend it as a no-brainer to anyone with a 320. Haven't dyno'd the car but Terry's dynos with BMS show about 210hp/230tq at the wheels which, at the crank, translate to close to stock 328i numbers.

Something tells me this is a little 'optimistic' as the 328i stock is definitely faster in a straight line.

Thanks for watching.

----

Edit: Never mind. Looks like I can't imbed a YouTube video or even post the link. Oh well.
I have it too for my 435i and it is a good bump and I don't want to change anything so it was a good choice. But is it really 3 psi or 2.5 or what? I cant find anything that says for sure.

#3 ·
I is supposedly 3 PSI. Is there something on this forum about not being able to imbed YouTube videos? For some reason its not even working to post a link. Usually on other forums its just [u2b]xxxxx[/u2b] but thats not working for me. Oh well.

I imagine it would be great on the 35i 6 cyl. The thing already flies..

#6 ·
Thanks for posting that. Yes, for some reason it is not letting me post links. Bizarre. I guess its a spam precaution. But anyway, yes thats the video.

#7 ·
If the 320i engine really is just a software limited version of the N20 from the 328i that would be a great code to crack.

#8 ·
How do you mean? The code can be cracked in 3 minutes with a $400 piggyback like I'm running. That is stage 1. For $150 more, stage 2 will get you 328i speeds and beyond.

#9 ·
I mean cracked as in doing it through coding.

Plug in your laptop and change a few lines and voila, 328i.

#11 ·
Thanks!

I mean cracked as in doing it through coding.

Plug in your laptop and change a few lines and voila, 328i.
Oh, I'd feel better about a piggyback harness because it leaves the ECU alone and doesn't mess with coding so its nothing that would show up at the dealer.

#13 ·

Just a quick video I took of a few acceleration runs in my 320i after installing the BMS Stage 1 tune. Didn't take a 'before' video, but there are a handful of stock 320i acceleration videos on youtube and most guys hover around 7 seconds, give or take. The tune brought me down to 6.1 and 6.3 in DS and full Sport. Just to give people any idea of the power bump on a +3PSI 'tune'. Been running it for 2k miles w/out a hiccup and I'd recommend it as a no-brainer to anyone with a 320. Haven't dyno'd the car but Terry's dynos with BMS show about 210hp/230tq at the wheels which, at the crank, translate to close to stock 328i numbers.

Thanks for watching.
Thanks for the update on your tuning; am definitely going to have to look into it! Also love your M Perf exhaust tip!

#15 ·
The tune brought me down to 6.1 and 6.3 in DS and full Sport. Just to give people any idea of the power bump on a +3PSI 'tune'. Been running it for 2k miles w/out a hiccup and I'd recommend it as a no-brainer to anyone with a 320. Haven't dyno'd the car but Terry's dynos with BMS show about 210hp/230tq at the wheels which, at the crank, translate to close to stock 328i numbers.
- Sounds like a great tweek, tremendous bang for the buck. I will have to investigate. I like the fact there is no flashing of the ECU.

#16 · (Edited)
Quite frankly, knowing that I could tune the car so easily and inexpensively was ultimately what made me go with the 320. I test drove a no-line 320i while searching for the next car and while I was impressed, I knew I wouldn't be able to live with the stock power, coming from a Stage 1 GTI. It took some imagination on my part though because I wasn't sure how palpable or substantial the gains would be with the tune; I just looked at the numbers and dynos. When I test drove my car with the sport package, I was blown away by how well the car handled and drove compared to the no-line, but even driving it home from the dealer, I was itching to tune it. If the tune weren't an option, as good as the car is, I would have just paid considerably more and ordered a sportline 328.

I plan on doing a few more acceleration videos now that the engine has had a chance to break in a little w/500 mi. on the odometer so stay tuned.

PS: Anyone who can guess what movie that music is from in the last little clip, I will PayPal $2. Hint: 1980's, SciFi, cult classic.

#17 ·
When the 320i was reintroduced, I was very interested. I did however have a fairly new car which I was pretty happy with. Subsequently the turbo blew on my car and took out the rest of the motor in the process. The good news was it was all covered under warranty. During the 2 weeks the car was being repaired, I decided to car shop and ultimately ended up with my 320i. As far as tuning the engine on the 320i, this was not a major factor in my decision process. I knew at some point there would be a tune or intake and exhaust from BMW. My sons 2010 328i 6M has been upgraded with BMW parts. So I just figured it would be a matter of time for BMW to offer similar upgrades to the 320i. I was not aware the after market had already developed such a reasonably priced tune.
I plan on doing a few more acceleration videos now that the engine has had a chance to break in a little w/2500 mi. on the odometer so stay tuned.
I look forward to seeing the results. I am only at 450 miles, still breaking the motor in.

#19 · (Edited)
When the 320i was reintroduced, I was very interested. I did however have a fairly new car which I was pretty happy with. Subsequently the turbo blew on my car and took out the rest of the motor in the process. The good news was it was all covered under warranty. During the 2 weeks the car was being repaired, I decided to car shop and ultimately ended up with my 320i. As far as tuning the engine on the 320i, this was not a major factor in my decision process. I knew at some point there would be a tune or intake and exhaust from BMW. My sons 2010 328i 6M has been upgraded with BMW parts. So I just figured it would be a matter of time for BMW to offer similar upgrades to the 320i. I was not aware the after market had already developed such a reasonably priced tune. I look forward to seeing the results. I am only at 450 miles, still breaking the motor in.
I have my doubts that Dinan or BMW will do any kind of performance upgrade for the 320. As to intakes, they have been pretty thoroughly tested on the N20 and show little to no gains. The stock intake is just very well done and there isn't much restriction to begin with. They make a good catless DP for the car but I don't know if I'm quiet ready for all that, being in CA and all. It would be nice though just for the sound since the car is so quiet.

I did the tune at 300 miles and wasn't really concerned with break-in and taking it easy during that time. Every new car I've had I drove like I stole it and there is a school that believes that that is the only true way to break in an engine for longevity but thats another discussion entirely.

Is this the Burger Tune? I've been looking into this as well for my F31.

Did you install this yourself? How easy is it for someone mechanically inclined, but who has not really done any car mods before? Have you brought your car in for service yet, and is this a pain to have to take off and reinstall when you do bring it in? Very interested, just worried about problems with warranty service as this is a leased car.
Yes it is the stage 1 harness +3 PSI for the n20 by Burger Motor Sports. Their headquarters is a half hour away from me in Simi Valley so I went up there, got it and Terry showed me how to install it. Easiest thing in the world. Requires no automotive wrenching skills and requires no tools. Just unclip and clipping. If you can screw in a lightbulb you could install the set up. Takes about 5min. When I go in for routine service/maintenance I am just going to leave it on. If something goes horribly wrong I'd prob just take it off before going in. For another $150 I could do the +4 psi upgrade but I'm not sure about that one.. Its a little more invasive.

#18 ·
Is this the Burger Tune? I've been looking into this as well for my F31.

Did you install this yourself? How easy is it for someone mechanically inclined, but who has not really done any car mods before? Have you brought your car in for service yet, and is this a pain to have to take off and reinstall when you do bring it in? Very interested, just worried about problems with warranty service as this is a leased car.

Thanks for watching.

#20 ·
This sounds good. I'm not looking to go crazy, but +3psi and a nice little boost would be fun for the price.

I saw the installation process pictures on their website, would you say that's pretty self explanatory and comparable to what they showed you in person? I see it's mostly plug and play, removing and reattaching clips and hiding wires. So I would assume you haven't brought this in for service yet?

Anyone else have experience with Stage 1 in a leased car and bringing it in for routine service?

#21 ·
Here is the thing with mods and routine service. If there is nothing wrong with the car, they usually couldn't care less. Thats how Audi and VW are and I doubt BMW are any different. On the other hand, if there is a problem and you bring it in modified in any way then you are at their mercy. But routine service, there is nothing they can do. Since it has nothing to do with the ECU, they can't store anything in their system when scanning the car like what Audi/VW does, giving you a "TD1" code if modified. This is a plug and play harness that takes 2 minutes to remove.

But yes for the price, I don't see why everyone with a 320 or 328 or 335 doesn't do this. It's dirt cheap. I just can't accept what a carmaker gives me from factory. Forced induction motors are meant to be exploited for more power.

#22 ·
Hello,

I recently bought my first BMW (2014 320i). My biggest concern with tuning my car is voiding the warranty. Since it only takes 5 minutes to install this, is it worth uninstalling everything before I take my car in for service? Also, since I am new to the whole tuning process, will tuning my car cause any issues with the car years from now?

#26 ·
In addition to beefed up drive shaft and output shafts(and possibly rear drive too), the 328i also has different pistons than 320i(a different part#), and some speculates the 320i pistons are not as strong as 328i ones(have not seen a definitive answer on this). There are others who suggest that BMW engines and transmissions have high tolerances for additional boosts and HP and lb-ft, but that would only become clear years down the road.

#24 ·
From 7 secs to 6.1 with only a 3 psi increase seems a bit much as that would only be a 40 rwp hp and IDK about 45-50 TQ. I have the same BMS stage one on my 435i and I don't think it took me from 5.0 to 4.2. But Im not saying it didn't but I would maybe track it once to see what you get. It does make a difference though for sure. Im looking at getting the performance exhaust mostly for sound as it is really less money than most after market and covered by warranty but I don't think it will give me more than a couple more HP. They say they are making one for the 4 series so Im waiting to see if they do and whats different about it over the 335i sedan performance exhaust.

#25 · (Edited)
I don't think it was ever at 7 seconds. There are a few videos on YouTube of guys doing high 6 seconds on stock 320's and Car and Driver and Motor Trend both clocked the 320i @ 6.6 and 6.7 seconds, so I realistically gained about .5 seconds at best.

It is only +3 PSI but if you figure that the 328i has been dyno'd at 240HP/257TQ at the wheels and does 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds, if the 320i is making around 210/235 at the wheels with the Stage 1 tune and a few hundred LBS less curb weight, then around 6 -- 6.3 seconds is about right.

It's such a funny benchmark anyway because who actually cares about 0-60 times? What it really comes down to is the torque bump and how much punchier it is. That combined with the gearing of the 8 speed makes it feel pretty quick. I'd like to dyno the car at some point just to see exactly what I'm putting down but I'm too cheap to drop $100 on that. Not like it really matters, it'd just be cool to know. Terry/BMS's claims of HP/TQ figures are also based on 93 octane and I'm running crappy CA 91, so there is that as well.

Hello,

I recently bought my first BMW (2014 320i). My biggest concern with tuning my car is voiding the warranty. Since it only takes 5 minutes to install this, is it worth uninstalling everything before I take my car in for service? Also, since I am new to the whole tuning process, will tuning my car cause any issues with the car years from now?
It's really impossible to say whether or not it will cause issues down the road since so many factors can influence car longevity. I would say that it would probably take longer than you'll have the car to find out, unless you are someone who keeps cars for more than say, 7 years. The shortest I'll have this car is 3 years, the longest being 5. It shares most of the internal components with the 328 and adding 3PSI of boost is probably still well within the ceiling of tolerances for this engine. I wouldn't worry about it. And there is no such thing as 'voiding our warranty'. There are different warranties for different components on your car. Sure, if I were running Stage 2+ on this thing and putting down 260HP and I toasted my turbo or something, it would be easy for BMW to give me the bill and rightfully so. But most likely, any problems I will run into are problems that these cars have stock and if they've experienced the problem on stock cars they are likely to fix it under warranty and look the other way because the dealer needs to keep their lights on and warranty work is their bread and butter. You always run a risk modifying a car but keeping them stock is not an option for me so it's a non issue. Just have to try and be conservative. When you start getting into mods that draw attention like exhaust mods etc., you might be more likely to run into problems @ the dealer.

#27 ·
I recently bought my first BMW (2014 320i). My biggest concern with tuning my car is voiding the warranty. Since it only takes 5 minutes to install this, is it worth uninstalling everything before I take my car in for service?
This is why I really am considering this mod and the fact that there is no reflash of the ECU. On my previous car (not a BMW) it took 15 to 20 minutes to flash the ECU back to stock.

#32 · (Edited)
I am considering the BMS Stage 1 but I am not sure if it really has the smooth power delivery like stock, especially for manual transmission cars since I saw somewhere (other forum?) that there is power loss during gear shift.

Also, it's hard to imagine ECU can be "fooled" so successfully, now and in the future (especially once there is a new factory firmware upgrade because current kit was only tested with current ECU firmware).

#33 · (Edited)
I am considering the BMS Stage 1 but I am not sure if it really has the smooth power delivery like stock, especially for manual transmission cars since I saw somewhere (other forum?) that there is power loss during gear shift.

Also, it's hard to imagine ECU can be "fooled" so successfully, now and in the future (especially once there is a new factory firmware upgrade because current kit was only tested with current ECU firmware).
Power loss during gear shifts with a manual will always = power loss unless you are power shifting which you most likely would not do if you care about your clutch/transmission. So as far as I know the tune would have nothing to do with this dip in power since that is the nature of a manual. The power delivery with the tune is just as smooth as stock.

I wonder if the downpipe really makes that much of a difference, I'm seeing something like 20+HP....
Not sure. I believe it's catless. Not sure if I'll have the car long enough to have to deal with SMOG but regardless, I don't want to run into issues with any emissions related systems/sensors/components with the car and said warranty. It would definitely beef up the sound and exhaust note though which is lacking in this car. It's so quiet.

#34 ·
Many 328i(including mine) have N26 and 15-yr/150k CA PZEV emission warranty. The warranty covers lots of emission related parts(e.g. torque converter, VCG, charge air cooler, ECU, exhaust, HPFP, fuel tank, intake manifold, turbocharger, vacuum pump, VANOS, valvetronic actuators, DOR radiator, etc, etc). As good as the BMS Stage 1 sounds, it is unclear if such a tune can cause any problem with the 15-yr/150k emission warranty(which has significant value for these complex bimmers once the miles pile up).

#38 · (Edited)
There's a long stretch of freeway on my commute home tonight and since I tend to get off work around 2AM, it'll be deserted so I plan on trying to take a decent 50-100 video just to show the midrange top end pull. Will post on YouTube tomorrow if I can.

#41 ·
I am getting JB4 installed next week on my 14 335i M Sport! Pretty exciting. What should I expect? Realistic numbers? Also, there is a Map 1 and Map 2? What's that? higher psi? Run hotter? Any thoughts on this. Totally new to mods. :thumbup:

#42 ·
I think the standard regardless of engine is around 30WHP/TQ, give or take, which is pretty significant. What you should expect is for your car to be pretty balls fast after that. I mean you already have a 335, so a tuned 335 is pretty awesome. I think Map 1 is plug and play and anything beyond that requires laptop etc. If you are new to mods and dont want to go too deep with it MAP 1 is good

#44 ·
My guy said be careful with MAP 2 because the engine will run hot! So... it would bring in to the equation an Intercooler?? I am curious with that but don't want to ruin my engine or turbo's. Just wondering if it will bring extra 50HP and 60TQ???:dunno:

#43 ·
Not bad at all, pretty much on pair with the E90 328i. On the side note I noticed you had the 2.0T TSI, how do you like the N26 vs the TSI. I am coming from a TSI DSG and the N52 is the reason I went with the 328. It is a breath of fresh air compared to the VW motor.

#45 · (Edited)
Yes I had the GTI for 3 years and we currently have the Tiguan which has the TSI. Compared to the N20, I find the TSI to be unrefined. The only reason the TSI sounds good in the 2010 GTI is due to the noise pipe/resonator. Take that away and you get the Tiguan's engine note which sounds like the car has asthma. The TSI is a punchy motor and pretty beefy, never really leaving one wanting for more power, but it is not nearly as smooth as the N20. The N20 I can do 0-100 and the powerband is just very smooth and linear. I can't say the same for the TSI but all in all, it's a good engine. I don't really miss it. The worst part about it is the factory air intake which is restrictive compared to BMW's. If you tune the TSI like I did, you get this huge spike of power in the mid range and then it runs out of breath up high unless you have an intake and really, a downpipe. Just takes so many mods to feel right. The N20 will just rev to the moon and pull all day long, smoothly. My power delivery remained just as smooth and linear as stock after the BMS tune.

My guy said be careful with MAP 2 because the engine will run hot! So... it would bring in to the equation an Intercooler?? I am curious with that but don't want to ruin my engine or turbo's. Just wondering if it will bring extra 50HP and 60TQ???:dunno:
Yeah man I wouldn't push it. I have heard of this problem as well with people going beyond the first Map with these tunes. Your car is fast stock. You have more than enough power for any driving situation you are going to be in and Stage 1 is just the icing on the cake. I wouldn't push it. You don't want to get handed the bill for extremely costly engine repairs.

#46 ·
I feel like I have finally started to settle into the car and things have started to loosen up and fall in place with the engine break-in, etc. I've got just shy of 3000 miles on the car and I love it. It's a sublime daily driver: it's comfortable and compliant yet with excellent handling and reflexes, it is quick and punchy, I find each driving mode to be very useable contributions to the overall versatility of the car, the transmission is brilliant and I'm averaging around 28mpg overall. Recently got 36mpg on a 65 mile drive to Anaheim, all highway with a lot of traffic. I think the base stereo is excellent. I hear guys complain about it, talking about how the HK is 'essential' or whatever. I don't what cars these guys have had previously but the stock stereo in my 320 beats every stereo I have had in my previous 12 or so cars. Finally, driving the car just has something 'special' that is intangible and hard to explain but its' what makes it a BMW I suppose.

I've worked out the discomfort issues I was having with the sport seats and finally found the perfect position and now find them very supportive. Sure there are luxury features that I wish the car had like heated seats or xenons but all in all, it's the best car I've had to date. If I still feel this way @ lease end I'll probably just buy it since I managed to negotiated a good final selling price anyway.

Only real things I plan on getting in the near future are all weather mats and those steel and rubber pedal covers since I think the basic black rubber looks pretty ho hum.
Nice write up! I barely have over a thousand miles on my 320i sport 6MT. Really liking this car too. I am really wanting get a stage 1, but I will give it a few more miles before I pull the trigger. I want to get the M sport pedal set too and a rear trunk spoiler. Thanks again for the great update!

#49 · (Edited)
Holy balls, check this guy out. These Russian bros really go for it with modifying the 320. This thing flies! Quicker than a stock 328. Crazy what you can squeeze out of these little 4 bangers. I swear, it's difficult for me to stay with stage 1. Tempted to go stage 2 and downpipe but am holding back for the time being. I got the car because of the sleeper meets tuning potential and availability of bargain sport package for handling prowess. I'm definitely used to the stage 1 power now.. Stage 1 4PSI and Stage 2 both require a PC laptop though which I don't have, I have all Mac stuff and I'm afraid it's opening a can of worms w/potential for more problems. Anyway, this guy hauls balls.

http://youtu.be/yTy4RifgaDc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.