BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

'14 320i BMS Stage 1 Acceleration Runs Vid

144K views 2K replies 79 participants last post by  Kafkaesque328 
#1 · (Edited)
KAFKA's 320i Sport Car Journal - BMS Stage 1 Speed Runs, Pics, Video, Rambling

Just a quick video I took of a few acceleration runs in my 320i after installing the BMS Stage 1 tune. Didn't take a 'before' video, but there are a handful of stock 320i acceleration videos on youtube and most guys hover around 7 seconds, give or take. The tune brought me down to 6.1 and 6.3 in DS and full Sport. Just to give people an idea of the power bump on a +3PSI 'tune'. Been running it for 2k miles w/out a hiccup and I'd recommend it as a no-brainer to anyone with a 320. Haven't dyno'd the car but Terry's dynos with BMS show about 210hp/230tq at the wheels which, at the crank, translate to close to stock 328i numbers.

Something tells me this is a little 'optimistic' as the 328i stock is definitely faster in a straight line.

Thanks for watching.

#206 ·
Might get one of these.. Had one on my GTI and I liked it. I have no illusions about these drop-ins increasing performance but they do make the intake more audible and enhance the wastegate dump 'blowoff' and turbo sounds more audible which I like. Also tiny increase in throttle input at tip in. Usually $70 from aFe but on sale on Amazon anyway.. Engine is just so quiet I'd really be getting it for some more engine noise. I swear sometimes I think I'm driving a Prius it is so quiet. Something to do, out of boredom really. I went through 2 different intakes with the GTI and then the aFe ended up being my favorite set up with Stage 1. Since my 320 is tuned and I'm pulling in a little more air, the filter might be cool.

http://afepower.com/shop/details_ne...&model=320i&year=2014&engine=2.0L&&brandID=59

#207 ·
Do you have a link to the amazon page? I can't seem to find anything for the 328i.

#208 · (Edited)
There are a bunch on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/2012-3-Series...06504668&sr=8-2&keywords=aFe+pro+dry+31-10225

All it is going to do is amplify induction noises so I just need to figure out if that is worth $55 to me. As I have an incurable case of car OCD/ADD, installing something like this is inevitable. Too bad the OEM airbox flows so well because throwing on a new intake is always a good project but little to no gains have been shown w/aftermarket intakes on the n20 because BMW did a good job with it.

#209 ·
#210 ·
Oh, yeah, I would only order the pro dry S model as I am not into using oiled filter elements. Both short ram intakes I had on the GTI had oiled filters and I didn't have any problems but I still fill better about a dry element. If I get it, it will be the Pro Dry since that is what I have experience with in the GTI and I have one in the wife's Tiguan currently. All it does is just amplify induction noise. Some like that and some don't. Since this thing is so quiet in the cabin, any sound is welcome at this point.

#211 ·
Hmmm. Well let us know what you think after you get it. Its possible we have better sound deadening in our BMWs versus your VWs.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#212 · (Edited)
Hmmm. Well let us know what you think after you get it. Its possible we have better sound deadening in our BMWs versus your VWs.

Well that much is certain as my BMW is noticeably quieter than my GTI was, hence the 'luxury car' difference. Biggest difference I've noticed between luxury and non luxury brands is the noise levels in-cabin and overall solidity as far as build. Re: induction sounds, If I drive with the windows down, especially in an 'enclosed' street with some sort of walls or bank to my sides, I can hear the engine and especially turbo more obviously than with windows up where it is almost inaudible. Sound deadening is the main thing. If you watch videos of 328's doing WOT Autobahn runs, it's honestly pretty quiet; same with the F30 335. If you watch e90 acceleration videos, its louder. I think in their quest for more refinement, sound deadening has gone up a notch, which is great except for the engine being so muted. VW and others use the cheesy method then of piping in engine noise via a soundaktor or noisepipe/resonator.

I'll prob order it mid week and put it in early next week. I'll report impressions. I'm expecting more pronounced induction noises which would be nice and that's about it. I never noticed a change in fuel economy in the GTI or the Tiguan with it. Just louder turbo. I sort of started removing the airbox to get to the filter today but then got pulled away so I wasn't able to check to see if BMW uses a sound deadening grate at the bottom of the airbox like VW does. With my GTI when I was running the aFe, I removed the grate as well which accounts for more sound deadening. Since the car is a lease and I wouldn't get a catless downpipe etc. thanks to the great state of CA, this is really the only option for a little more sound and a slightly sportier vibe.

#213 ·
Hmmm. Well let us know what you think after you get it.
Interested too in getting one of these.

#215 ·
I had a GLI for five years and can confirm that the VW 200 hp engine is great but very boring in the low and high rev ranges. The N20 blows the VW/Audi engine out of the water. Can only imagine what a basic mod like this one would do. Cheers!

#216 · (Edited)
I had a GLI for five years and can confirm that the VW 200 hp engine is great but very boring in the low and high rev ranges. The N20 blows the VW/Audi engine out of the water. Can only imagine what a basic mod like this one would do. Cheers!

The 2.0T in the GTI is good, same as the engine we have in the Tiguan but the GTI pipes noise into the cabin so that it sounds like the engine is beefier than it is. The Tiguan doesn't have this and instead makes an annoying, course whine under heavy engine braking, similar to the n20. I like that the GTI at least engineered it to sound nicer. Seriously my soul qualm with this engine. Course lawn mower sounding engine under heavy load.

Yes the stage 1 mod is nice. Can't imagine why you wouldn't just install it. The air filter I expect very little

#218 · (Edited)
Dunno about the Tiguan, being a long-term VW consumer I did check it out while shopping for 2014 model car. It is much to utilitary for my taste, really ugly interior. Back to the engine, the BMW 4-banger is much ahead of VW TSI, which is louder in terms of that engine clicking that annoys many people. I actually have come to appreciate the ticking sound, which believe it or not is less after a good spirited driving session.

#219 ·
Dunno about the Tiguan, being a long-term VW consumer I did check it out while shopping for 2014 model car. It is much to utilitary for my taste, really ugly interior. Back to the engine, the BMW 4-banger is much ahead of VW TSI, which is louder in terms of that engine clicking that annoys many people. I actually like

You LIKE the clicking?? I hate it. Makes most people think that there's something wrong with the car.

#222 ·
BTW, most all new high output 4-Cyl engines for the past 8-10 years have that clicking sound. When I was shopping around in late 2013, I found VW/Audi was the loudest. It's something you need to get used to.

#224 · (Edited)
BTW, most all new high output 4-Cyl engines for the past 8-10 years have that clicking sound. When I was shopping around in late 2013, I found VW/Audi was the loudest. It's something you need to get used to.

I believe it is just a symptom of direct injection engines, no?

I agree about the Tiguan interior. The car is fine but I am certainly glad it is a lease and very cheap one at that. It does what it's supposed to do and it's been a good kid and grocery hauler and has been good on some long road trips. I'm not totally bummed on days when I drive it but I am certainly happy to get back in the BMW. It moves pretty good in the power dept. - still the same engine as the GTI, so it's not like it's slow. That coupled with decent handling and road feel makes it somewhat fun to drive for what it is.

Been lagging on ordering the drop-in filter. Still going to do it, I just have a feeling the results will be insanely underwhelming, essentially spending $50 for some extra "wwwsssshhhh" sounds.. Getting my car coded next week though and am pretty excited about that, namely the Sport AT coding! :thumbup: I'll probably make another 0-60 drag video following that, just to show the difference if any w/the sport coding.

#225 ·
Getting my car coded next week though and am pretty excited about that, namely the Sport AT coding! I'll probably make another 0-60 drag video following that, just to show the difference if any w/the sport coding.
Would like to see that when you get a chance.

#231 ·
Alrighty, filter is ordered. $55 and free shipping, arrives end of week. Something to do and tinker with. If it is like the aFe I had in the GTI, I'll be happy. Pretty sizable increase in turbo sounds, which I love and slightly punchier throttle. I'll post install pics and impressions next week.

#232 ·
wish you lived closer so i could hear it live. that's one thing I want is a little more roar when punching it. I was almost tempted to get a CAI as that made a huge difference in my old Nissan from a few years back.

#233 ·
Pretty sizable increase in turbo sounds, which I love and slightly punchier throttle. I'll post install pics and impressions next week.
Good - I would expect a little better throttle response.

#237 · (Edited)
Even One Minute Change Can Cause a Disturbance in the Force

The aFe drop-in pro dry S filter arrived the other day and I had a chance to install it today and test it out this evening. It is now back in the box and a return/refund request has been sent. Contrary to my experience with the GTI and this filter, this is a waste of money with the n20. I'll preface this by saying that there is a definite placebo effect when you mess with air filters, intakes, etc. and experimenting with airbox modifications in GTI world was/is the norm; mainly because the stock airbox on the 2.0TSI is a bit of a convoluted, restrictive mess so airbox/intake mods on that engine are good. My observations are as follows:

1. First thing I noticed was a delay with initial throttle response, basically the opposite of what I expected. I drove the car for about an hour with the filter in and I experienced weird delay at initial throttle followed by a slightly quicker, perceived increase in turbo spool time, but nothing substantial.

2. Sound was unchanged as far as induction noise/turbo spool, wastegate sounds etc. Really no noticeable improvement.

3. Fitment isn't great. Getting the cover to the airbox up takes about 1 minute but it was hard to close vs. the OEM filter. Not a great fit. It fits, but it's a little big.

End of the day, this is a waste of money, provides no benefits that I can see and as I said, seemed to result in a weird delay/lag with the throttle. Honestly, it made the car feel weird. I honestly think that this car is so dialed and that there is minimal restriction with the stock airbox and little changes like this disrupt the overall harmony of how the car runs. The MAF could have been reading increased airflow and the ECU was adapting, but in any event, it was not good. Also, unlike the GTI which has a big sound deadening plastic grate at the bottom of the airbox that can be removed for more sound, the BMW does not have this.

When I re-installed the OEM filter, it fit like a glove and when I turned the engine back on, the original responsive throttle feel was back. I had it in the garage so I could rev the engine and really hear induction sound and the OEM filter sounds better.

Moral of the story, don't waste your money. The OEM filter is good.

All a change like this does is cause a disturbance in the force. Don't **** with it Luke. These cars are perfect and the engineers in Munich know what they are doing.

Here is a picture of Yoda telling Luke to stop messing with his new car.

Hopefully I just get my $50 back. That is like 4.5 12 packs of Coors Light!

#238 ·
Sad to hear it didn't work.... I was actually looking forward to your report since my buddy just picked up a 428i convertible this weekend and the N20 just sounds AMAZING when flooring it. Now, this is with the top down, so that could have been the biggest difference maker. Either way... I wish I had that same sound coming from my car.... (and that my roof disappeared with the push of a button).

#239 ·
I don't know what the difference would be, same engine and close to the same power with the tune. Don't get me wrong, with the windows down, it sounds pretty good for a 4 cylinder but windows up, there is just so much sound deadening that it is really quiet. This is obviously what they were going for - refinement. I found the 328 to be pretty much the same. Ive not driven an F30 335i but videos I have seen, even that 6 cylinder sounds pretty tame compared to previous generation. Really you would have to do a catless downpipe and exhaust mods to change it up, so whatever. Not a big deal. It's a smooth operator for a 4 banger. OEM filter is back in and all is right with the world.

Looking forward to my coding session on Wednesday. Sport AT should be cool! Saw a list of his coding sheet and there are all kinds of cool features to unlock and little factory annoyances to get ride of. I'll def do a quick 0-60 vid once the sport AT coding is enabled

#242 ·
Looking forward to my coding session on Wednesday. Sport AT should be cool! Saw a list of his coding sheet and there are all kinds of cool features to unlock and little factory annoyances to get ride of. I'll def do a quick 0-60 vid once the sport AT coding is enabled
I have that coding sheet and there are some nice options on it, I'll have a nice coding sessions in a couple of weeks, once work travel schedules slows down and I can be home for more then 19 hours... I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the SAT coding...

#240 ·
Thanks for the report on the dry filter. This is good to know. Won'T be ordering one and one less thing to de mod when taking car to dealer for service or warranty work.

#243 · (Edited)
Cool, yeah, I'm looking forward to getting it done. There is a guy on F30 post who lives in the neighborhood that I work who offered for me to drive his Stage 2 320i. I'm almost afraid to because then I know I'll want it. It's like another $100 or something and you're putting down more power than a 328. Extremely tempting. Extremely.

#244 ·
Do it. :)

#245 · (Edited)
Yeah, it's tempting but I don't know. It's a lease and isn't that less reversible? I think they just tap into a few more wires.. seems like a can of worms. Hard to say. I'll have to drive it and see. There is a thread on here from a guy with a 2012 335i and a blown motor. BMW refusing to replace the motor, cost=$20000 and supposedly denying service due to having an intake on the car. That is insane. It is stories like this that prevent me from doing stage 2. More detectable.

#246 · (Edited)
On fire! 4 cylinders of pure street fury! Engine revving video.. what am I, 17?!

Now I'm inclined to make a more extensive video showing differences between windows down with with hood up, windows down with hood closed and windows up. Why? Because I am a complete loser. Really doesn't sound bad in this setting. Not bad for a little 4 banger.

http://youtu.be/bsiNRrzHRAY

#247 ·
There is a thread on here from a guy with a 2012 335i and a blown motor. BMW refusing to replace the motor, cost=$20000 and supposedly denying service due to having an intake on the car. That is insane. It is stories like this that prevent me from doing stage 2. More detectable.
Not that I ever owned a Doge truck, but I have heard denial of warranty work stories for a drop in K&N filter. If I go stage 2, and not so sure I will, it will be after the warranty expires.

#248 ·
That's the thing with intakes etc. as well is you're prob not going to get around to taking that off when you go in for service, especially if you have a real problem with the car and need it fixed. The Stage 1 piggyback takes about 2 min to remove and is untraceable.

#249 ·
The Stage 1 piggyback takes about 2 min to remove and is untraceable.
This is what I like about the BMS stage 1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.