BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

'14 320i BMS Stage 1 Acceleration Runs Vid

144K views 2K replies 79 participants last post by  Kafkaesque328 
#1 · (Edited)
KAFKA's 320i Sport Car Journal - BMS Stage 1 Speed Runs, Pics, Video, Rambling

Just a quick video I took of a few acceleration runs in my 320i after installing the BMS Stage 1 tune. Didn't take a 'before' video, but there are a handful of stock 320i acceleration videos on youtube and most guys hover around 7 seconds, give or take. The tune brought me down to 6.1 and 6.3 in DS and full Sport. Just to give people an idea of the power bump on a +3PSI 'tune'. Been running it for 2k miles w/out a hiccup and I'd recommend it as a no-brainer to anyone with a 320. Haven't dyno'd the car but Terry's dynos with BMS show about 210hp/230tq at the wheels which, at the crank, translate to close to stock 328i numbers.

Something tells me this is a little 'optimistic' as the 328i stock is definitely faster in a straight line.

Thanks for watching.

#251 · (Edited)
SO! Just got back from this coding session and I honestly feel like I'm driving a new car. So impressed. A guy in Thousand Oaks who codes cars for all these guys on Bimmerfest did the coding for me and this guy had Jedi level coding/computer skills. Had a whole list of things I could do. I had the following done:

1. Streaming bluetooth audio. Bout godamn time! Works seamlessly and sounds great. Coded enhanced bluetooth streaming and the sound quality is good. Set it up too where I can pair 2 phones at the same time, go back and forth, etc.

2. BMW Office - this is great. Allows me to read emails, text messages, etc. Nice feature

3. Sport AT. Possibly the best 'mod' ever. Transforms the car. It's almost like the stock AT programming wasn't holding up with the stage 1 tuning and power increase.. Left it in comfort much of the time because sport mode was always kind of awkward except at high speeds. The Sport+ setting is added now and disables traction control, enables launch control (if you are 17 and like ruining transmissions), remaps shift points and logic and shifts even faster than stock. Near-twin clutch times with the smoothness of the AT. Makes manual mode more responsive, downshifts more aggressive and increases throttle sensitivity and makes steering heavier. It was the missing link with the car. Straight line acceleration has to be quicker now - so aggressive. All in all the Sport AT coding made all the modes better w/no more awkward hanging on a shift or gear confusion. WOW.

4. Misc. goodies - remote window roll up/down, cornering lights enabled, rear flashing brake lighting enabled under hard braking, increased 1 touch turn signal blinks from 3 to 5, auto stop start remember last setting, AC climate control remember last setting, voice activation for calling etc. enabled, and one of the coolest things: detailed real-time TPMS read out showing PSI and temp of each individual tire.

HUGE Thanks to Tom/ 'Frogman' for hooking this up!!!! Amazing! I recommend to anyone to get this done. Amazing how easy it is to unlock the car's potential without having to spend $15k in options if you don't want. Anyone with regular 8AT on these cars HAS to get Sport AT enabled. Transforms the car.

Such a scam though when you realize that so much of this exists already and is just a code or something that needs to be turned on or off. So BMW sends the car equipped with all this potential from factory and then makes people think they need to pay thousands in options to get these things... Genius! Good thing there are guys like this out there, resources like this so you can customize the car to your specific needs and get some features that should have been standard (like bluetooth audio!)

Oh well, I'm all set now. With this new Sport+ setting, I don't even need stage 2 anymore. Really makes the most of the added power now.

#269 ·
SO! Just got back from this coding session and I honestly feel like I'm driving a new car. So impressed. A guy in Thousand Oaks who codes cars for all these guys on Bimmerfest did the coding for me and this guy had Jedi level coding/computer skills.
Thanks for reporting back after getting the coding done :thumbup:

4. Misc. goodies - remote window roll up/down, cornering lights enabled, rear flashing brake lighting enabled under hard braking, increased 1 touch turn signal blinks from 3 to 5, auto stop start remember last setting, AC climate control remember last setting, voice activation for calling etc. enabled, and one of the coolest things: detailed real-time TPMS read out showing PSI and temp of each individual tire.
Interesting to see that you got voice activation working. I've been trying to code it on my non-Nav F30 and I was under the impression (from searching here and on the other site) that voice activation only worked if you had Nav. Can you confirm that voice control is working?

#252 ·
This is great stuff.

As to why BMW doesn't release this...

It may be possible that they have all these features but they have not been adequately tested. This happens with lots of devices (I am most familiar with network equipment having "hidden" features you can get to which are not exposed through the normal user interface, but if you crash the device while accessing/using those features, support will not help you).

Does coding the car like this affect the warranty in any way? For example, if one has flashing brake lights coded and one has an issue with the brake lights, will it still be covered or can they claim that it was caused by coding? (My guess is that it would depend on if the problem can indeed be traced to enabling that feature.)

IIRC, but not sure about this, having the TPMS coded to do what you have done prevents it from issuing an actual warning for drop in pressure. So you would have to manually check the pressures if you suspected something was wrong. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

One more thing while I'm at it -- if you go in for service and the dealer decides to update the firmware, will you end up losing all the coding?

#254 ·
This is great stuff.

Does coding the car like this affect the warranty in any way? For example, if one has flashing brake lights coded and one has an issue with the brake lights, will it still be covered or can they claim that it was caused by coding? (My guess is that it would depend on if the problem can indeed be traced to enabling that feature.)

IIRC, but not sure about this, having the TPMS coded to do what you have done prevents it from issuing an actual warning for drop in pressure. So you would have to manually check the pressures if you suspected something was wrong. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

One more thing while I'm at it -- if you go in for service and the dealer decides to update the firmware, will you end up losing all the coding?
FYI, I've had my car taken in for warranty work (replaced all of my cameras) AFTER getting my car coded for numerous things. They did not say anything about having the car coded. They did upgrade the firmware, or reset it (not sure which) and I did lose everything I had coded. But it wasn't an issue getting it all recoded again.

As for the TPMS, you will still get a warning if the tires fall below a certain pressure, but now you have the added luxury of knowing exactly how much pressure is in each tire. This has been proven after getting it coded.

#256 ·
You should check the regional forums to see if they're having coding session days. They do them all the time in Southern California where a few coders will setup a meeting place to do coding for anyone that wants their car coded. Not sure if it's free, but it's a great way to meet other bimmerfest members if nothing else. :)

#259 ·
My recollection is the SDK is tied to software integration level, and if the level is bumped to new revision, a new data file(additional money) is needed for the SDK to work. One cool feature to enable is the variable light of the adaptive xenon, it would be nice to be able to add/delete code(and feature) DIY.

#263 ·
Your car is a '14 and should have already had the remember last ASS position feature. I had mine coded too because I couldn't stand the "dummy" TPMS setup.

#264 ·
^I think you're right. There were so many things coded, I prob thought that was one of them. I have the list in my car somewhere but I feel like I had 20+ codes done.

#265 ·
Did you code DVD in motion? I had a little bit of trouble getting it enabled but in the end it worked. After 3 tries I gave up on the side/rear/top view cameras in motion though.

#273 ·
The bluetooth is nice. It was ridiculous being without. How can you tell anyone, with a straight face, that you drive a BMW and that it doesnt have BT audio?

#274 ·
Sigh... I know.. What is interesting is, when I use google maps the voice play through the radio... Very sad, but have to say I now look at BMW is a different way being able to code my car the way I want it...

#275 ·
Yeah buddy, the coding is kind of a game changer for me honestly. I hate the expression game changer but for lack of something better...

#283 · (Edited)
I'm considering removing the M exhaust tip and going back to the smaller diameter oem tip for the oem look. Something a tad ricey about it to me now when I look at it, little too big etc. From 3/4 and side it looks alright but centered from the rear it looks a tad off center to me and hangs a little low. To get it exctly right it would need to be messed with further and welded on. When my friend and I were at the dealer the other day looking at cars for him they had a mineral gray 320 sport on the lot and I came up on it from behind and the oem single tip looked fine to me.

#284 ·
More Accleration Runs: 0-60 and 20-100

Greetings and a happy labor day to you all. I posted a video of a few more acceleration runs. I don't think I'll do any more because I (A) feel ridiculous when I try to do them, (B) it's unsafe (for obvious reasons) and (C) the only way you can break the 6 second to 60mph barrier in a 320i is by going balls deep with Stage 2 etc. Since I'm 99% sure I am going to get a different BMW when my lease is up, I don't really want to dump anymore money, time or effort into the car.

Couple of 0-60 runs and a 20-100mph highway pull in Sport+. What is funny is the quickest 0-60 time I have gotten is 6.13 sec in Drive, comfort mode w/traction control off. Sport+ seems to give a slower time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlu7m5f8qMo&feature=youtu.be

#285 ·
Greetings and a happy labor day to you all. I posted a video of a few more acceleration runs. I don't think I'll do any more because I (A) feel ridiculous when I try to do them, (B) it's unsafe (for obvious reasons) and (C) the only way you can break the 6 second to 60mph barrier in a 320i is by going balls deep with Stage 2 etc. Since I'm 99% sure I am going to get a different BMW when my lease is up, I don't really want to dump anymore money, time or effort into the car.

Couple of 0-60 runs and a 20-100mph highway pull in Sport+. What is funny is the quickest 0-60 time I have gotten is 6.13 sec in Drive, comfort mode w/traction control off. Sport+ seems to give a slower time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlu7m5f8qMo&feature=youtu.be
Why do you feel ridiculous and feel it is unsafe to do your 0-60 and 20-100 mph runs? Your 'poverty pack' is insufficient? What will your next bimmer be, an M3 or M4? Out in the real world, while putting over 20,000 miles on my 320i since May 2013 (with about six weeks out of action, due to two right ankle surgeries), my acceleration is far better than most of the vehicles I have had to deal with, out of green lights, or when I need to move forward really quickly into a safer place in traffic, or when I'm on entrance and exit ramps or in the twisties. I keep my six-speed manual in Sport 100% of the time. I looked into the BMS stage one but most of my local shops did not want to get into warranty issues--or wanted big bucks to install--or only did Dinan upgrades. In 2023, I hope BMW still offers a three-series that I can order and afford that is as great as my 320i.

#287 ·
I tried five indie shops, both bimmer shops and German car shops. They mostly did not want to install BMS products. Maybe it's something to do with emission standards since my state follows those of California. As a club member reminded me once, straightaways are for fast cars, while turns and corners are for fast drivers. I'm a fast driver and my 320i is as fast as my previous car, my beloved E46. So what is your next lease?

#288 ·
If you want it you can just put it on yourself. I think they ship to WA, so it shouldn't be an issue. You can just remove it come SMOG time. If your comment about fast cars were right, then the 911 would have 180HP.

I don't know what the next thing will be. I don't know if it will be a lease. Ultimately I'd like a 335i and I could really only afford that if it were a CPO. Leased new, probably an M sport 328i (which I would tune) with lighting and premium. Who knows. The thrill is in the hunt/chase.

#291 ·
For me, the thrill is in the driving--not the buying or leasing or tuning or 0-60 times--or in loading up a bimmer with lots of bling and weight that add nothing to driving enjoyment. And I'm not sure I would want to be driving an M3 or its stripper version, the 335i, since I'd probably be more likely to get into trouble!
Kinda of what my son told me when back in 2011 he bought his CPO 328i 6M. He said he could have bought a CPO 335i 6M but decided to go with the 328i, as he felt the 335i would get him in trouble.

#308 · (Edited)
Took my wife's Tiguan in yesterday for a recall re: the fuel pump and had a little time to kill at the VW dealer. They had a lot of new Mk7 GTI on the lot. This was the first time I saw the Mk7 in person and I remember when I had a GTI, before getting the BMW that I was anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Mk7. I didn't drive one, just looked at it from the inside and salesmen opened one up for me, etc. I'm sure it would have been fun to drive - that's what that car is all about. I have to say, in person, the car looks extremely...Asian to me. The design cues seem to be in a very unfortunate direction and not a natural progression from their overall spartan, very German, conservative design. They have worked so hard to make the car NOT look bulbous and playful that it now looks like it is designed by Mazda... Maybe by the same designer who designed that hideous 2010-11 Mazda Speed3. The wheels, the angles and lines on the body... all very Asian... From the outside, if you slapped a Hyundai logo on one, it wouldn't look out of place. The interior on the other hand is perfection. They really, really know how to design an interior. The interior feels like a very expensive, buttoned down place to be and is very Audi-esque. End of the day, I doubt I'll ever go back to VW personally, and I just wanted to share my impressions. As I said, driving it is probably great and I almost didn't want to drive it because it would have got me thinking. They are just so fun to drive. Good, cheap fun.

#309 ·
You should have driven it since you like FWD and can fit into that smaller car! Looks aren't everything--the driving experience is! I'm just home from a very long driving day, some of it going up and down mountain roads at speed, some of it in rush hour traffic. I'm so happy I was in an F30 instead of a VW!

#311 ·
I could never go back to FWD at this point.
- Not a big fan of FWD either. The best driving FWD car I have owned was a 1980 SAAB 900 Turbo. I think the upper and lower control arm front suspension and the engine layout (north-south) had something to do with it.

#312 ·
I have been doing some research on replacing the H7 halogen bulbs in my poor man's, no lighting package 3 series with some of the crappiest low beam projection EVER and I have decided on the BMW 'performance' halogen bulbs. Was also looking at the Sylvania Silverstars and while they seem like they are whiter and maybe brighter, I have read a lot of reviews from people saying that they have a short life and burn out quickly. The BMW bulbs come with a 2 year warranty. I think they are made by Phillips. Based on reviews of those bulbs, while it sounds like it only makes them marginally whiter, most people report a much longer projection which is what I want for the low beams at night. Yeah, yeah, I should have gotten the lighting package. Tell me about it. Regardless, hopefully these will do the trick.

So I found these on Amazon for as low as $45 for a pair including shipping: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B009LK2V8O/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Out of curiosity, I called the BMW dealer parts dept. They quoted me at $69 for the bulbs and $175 for labor to install! Wow. Needless to say I'll be having them installed at a local indie shop that quoted me $50. I could attempt it myself but everything I've read says it's a pain in the ass and I honestly don't have the time or patience for wrenching anymore. Did it for years. Thankless tasks.

#318 ·
Hey, it's no harder than your install of BMS Stage One! Go for it!

My indie shop charges $17 for halogen bulb replacement (they last for years) and they install while I wait (five seconds max), for free. Most of my night driving is on highways, at five-over, and my halogens are just fine--oh, but wait, they are NOT COOL!

#322 ·
Just talked to a local indie shop about swapping out the bulbs. They said the job is kind of a bitch, but quoted me at $30. $30 vs. the dealer's quote of $175!! Haha! I still can't believe people who bring their car to the dealer for non-warranty work. Criminal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.