BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

4 series interior quality: not good at all

37K views 390 replies 74 participants last post by  eazy 
#1 · (Edited)
Apologies for the long and somewhat rant-like post. Please take what I'm about to write as a genuine opinion from a frustrated owner.

So I've had my 435i for close to 6 months and it has roughly 7000 miles on it. The car is incredibly great to drive, amazingly comfortable and sounds fantastic. We just came back from a 2000 mile 7 day road trip where I did 100% of the driving and I never got tired or worn out. Brilliant car dynamically, fantastic engine, 8 speed auto box is essentially perfect. I love the heads up display, and the active cruise is the best feature on any car I've ever owned, period.

That being said, I have to vent a bit on BMW's interior quality. It's flat out bad. Maybe my car is one of those 'last shift on Friday' cars. The interior has developed about 6 separate intermittent and annoying rattles, and a couple of severe constant ones as well. The car has been in the shop for a total of 3 weeks since new for this and other issues (other major issue was electronic cooling fan failure). Some of the rattles are not fixed yet, the worst one being related to the ski hatch between the rear seats.

Coming from a C class that had 15,000 miles when I sold it, I am deeply disappointed with BMW's interior quality. The interior finishes just are not up to the same standard as Mercedes. That car never had a single squeak or rattle the entire time I had it. Some specific things I dislike about the BMW:

- Cup holder lid that has to be removed and stashed - cheapness personified. How about a hinged lid? The one on my Merc was hinged and nicely damped.
- Center console storage bin lid - again cheapness personified. Cheap feeling latch, no damping so it just falls shut.
- Use of cheap looking glossy (or matt if you order it) plastic trim as highlight details on the dash and doors.
- Cheap-looking silver-painted plastic on the steering wheel and gearshift surround, where other brands normally have nice brushed aluminum

Overall the interior is symptomatic of a company that doesn't understand or doesn't care about surprise and delight (it's a thing in product design). This is not some opinion from someone who kicked the tyres on some cars at a dealership, I've owned both cars for considerable periods and paid from them out of my own pocket. If it was just the finishing that was poor compared to other luxury brands I could forgive it. But a car should not sound like it is falling apart after 5000 miles. I will probably have one more go with the dealership trying to fix the ski hatch rattle, then just live with it after that.

At this point I don't see myself staying with the BMW brand next time I lease a car. Very disappointed.

See less See more
#164 ·
Now this is where Mercedes got it right.

The S-Class blows the 7 series out of the water. The back seats look like personal couches. The front is unlike anything out there.

BMW really needs to differentiate their interior between their class of cars. Series 1 through 7 are basically all the same. If I'm paying 90k for a car I would be upset the interior resembles something from the 30k model.

Attachments

#167 · (Edited)
The interiors for the 3,4,5,6, and 7
In that order. I honestly couldn't tell the difference. They fundamental look very similar.

Attachments

#175 ·
I know BMW is stubborn when it comes to the changing the styling of the interior and exterior of their cars. They make very subtle changes.

I don't know if i would go as far as sing the material is cheap. Im still waiting for my BMW to arrive so I can't give an honest assessment.

I do wish that BMW did something to liven it up.

I love what they did with the i8 and the Key fob for car is really a thing of beauty.

I attached pics of the interiors of the MB classes.

C,E, and S class in that order.

Attachments

#176 ·
I know BMW is stubborn when it comes to the changing the styling of the interior and exterior of their cars. They make very subtle changes.

I don't know if i would go as far as sing the material is cheap. Im still waiting for my BMW to arrive so I can't give an honest assessment.

I do wish that BMW did something to liven it up.

I love what they did with the i8 and the Key fob for car is really a thing of beauty.

I attached pics of the interiors of the MB classes.

C,E, and S class in that order.
I can see some minor similarities between the C and the S. The E is in its last year, so it's not a fair comparison at this point. When we have the redesigned E, my guess is that it will look quite similar to either the C or the S.

If following BMW's paradigm, it would be more similar to the S.

#177 ·
I think the major difference between the 2/3 and the 5/6/7 (and the C class vs E class Mercedes) is the integration of the screen into the dash on the higher models. I think the "stuck on" effect of the 2/3 screen is hideous. My first question when I test drove the 2 Series was, "Does that screen retract into the dash?" It really does look like an afterthought as compared to the integrated screen of the 5/6/7 series. But BMW have never paid much attention to the interior and dash boards of its cars. The current 2/3 series dash looks exactly like my 2009 335i except for the "glued on" screen (iDrive was an option in 2009 that I didn't get). Not exactly a great improvement. I'm sure BMW would argue that they spend most of their time and energy on designing the driving experience and not the interior and it would be hard to argue with that. The bottom line for me is that, if I had to choose, I would rather have an "ultimate driving machine" than a pretty dash.

#185 ·
I think the major difference between the 2/3 and the 5/6/7 (and the C class vs E class Mercedes) is the integration of the screen into the dash on the higher models. I think the "stuck on" effect of the 2/3 screen is hideous. My first question when I test drove the 2 Series was, "Does that screen retract into the dash?" It really does look like an afterthought as compared to the integrated screen of the 5/6/7 series.
This issue is the main reason I stayed away from the MB CLA, looking at photos and building online and that screen was just repulsive. Didn't love the outside either, but that screen was what made me not even bother test driving one. Just could NOT look at that everyday.

The one in the BMW looks bad I agree, but it's not horrible. The one in the CLA seriously looks like it was stuck on with adhesive tape at Best Buy.

The new A3 from Audi suffers a similar problem except it DOES retract. So it only looks stupid when it's up. Still, not sure why they all seem to be going away from the integrated style.

#183 · (Edited)
Some of the S-class pictures above show the rear seat package that has outboard seats that can be adjusted. That is new, introduced long after the F01 came along, not to mention an expensive option with additional drawbacks in deletions, among other things the 5th seat.

Also, interior pictures that are so dark that you can't see the grinning clown steering wheel are a bit falsified :)

The current E class interior looks nice but really, who wants to drive a car where the rpm meter isn't at least as big as the speed meter?

#184 ·
What a lot of you are describing is taste in interior design and not quality. I'm perfectly happy with mine. I bought a car not a couch.

#186 ·
I spend more time in my car then on my couch.

The interior is kind of important being that your spending 100% of your time in it when your driving.

I understand it comes down to a individuals taste. By no means are any of the interiors for the BMW ugly. Im just saying the design is kind of bland and maybe they can do something to spice it up for future models.

#196 ·
I actually sat in a last generation of C63 before buying the F30, not that I'd buy it but just wanted to see what the monster looks like inside. I had the impression that Merc is supposed to be luxurious but found the C63 to be cramped and bland. Perhaps not any more with the new C Class claiming using better materials and mimicking the S Class.

The interior of my Sport is not luxurious but pretty straightforward and well finished. There is nothing intrusive. Every time I accelerate or hit the mountain road, I know where the money goes. Of course people are asking for more today. Perhaps the next generation will be softer and more luxurious. Certainly that is not some compromise I hope for.

#197 ·
BMW and other German car interiors are cleanly layed out and functional without a million buttons to fumble through, although I am not a fan of Mercedes round air vents. Japanese luxury brands look like they try too hard with roller coaster curves loaded with endless amounts of buttons cousing you to think instead of just being intuitive.

#200 · (Edited)
I think that the interior quality complaints of the F30 were real and significant enough for BMW to address most of it by offering this model year the Leather Dash option in the F30 -straight from the F80/82. That and the addition of an additional interior color even in the 320i really improves considerably the appearance of upscale interior quality:

I do not think that BMW had any other option but to do something about the F30 interior as its prices are getting to the point of surpassing even a base 550i. Hopefully the G30 (or whatever will be called) will really improve the whole interior experience to commensurate with the expected increase in prices.

#205 ·
I think that the interior quality complaints of the F30 were real and significant enough for BMW to address most of it by offering this model year the Leather Dash option in the F30 -straight from the F80/82. That and the addition of an additional interior color even in the 320i really improves considerably the appearance of upscale interior quality:

I do not think that BMW had any other option but to do something about the F30 interior as its prices are getting to the point of surpassing even a base 550i. Hopefully the G30 (or whatever will be called) will really improved the whole interior experience to commensurate with the expected increase in prices.
This is a beautiful. Without the extended leather, a 3/4 series feels like a 30K vehicle. This option tips the scale imho. The white stitching is tasteful. :thumbup:

#201 · (Edited)
I'm into my 9th season with my E46 ZHP convertible, and the interior is as tight and rattle free as the day I bought it. It's also showing very little wear and looks brand new.

The E46 has soft touch materials almost everywhere you look and the fitment of panels is incredibly tight, for example, stick your finger between the window and door panel - you can't bend or pull an interior panel to misshapen it, it's as if it's made of a solid piece of steel.

ZHP's had the carbon fiber look-alike trim, so perhaps fitment was better - it's a simple and understated driver-focused interior, which is traditionally what I always liked about German cars. This E46 just continues to impress with its initial quality - even the steering column has a nice boot surround so no linkage is viewable. :)

#204 ·
Yeah, I really was quite enamored of the interior on all 3 E46's I experienced, particularly the available luxurious bold interior colors like Tanin red and Natural brown. Plus the exterior skin is still a beauty to behold.
Technic, how did you get the contrast stitching on your steering wheel? That's a really nice accent to complement your interior.
Not only that, but when did you step into an F30? I think you had an E90 M3, so the natural progression would seem to be towards the F80 rather than F30.

#216 ·
These upgraded interiors look great guys, big improvement on my Black no-line.

At the dealer I sat in a couple of M4s, they have a piece of padding wrapped in leather which fits on the left side of the gear shifter trim, really looks good. I wonder if that option will be available soon from a parts site. It shouldn't be very expensive.

#226 ·
DYNAMIC HANDLING PACKAGE - 435i

After I thought I knew everything I wanted, salesperson said I should add on the Dynamic Handling Package ($1000). The car will be a 435i M Sport. I don't race my cars … just a gal who loves BMW's … Should I get this add on? Thoughts please! THANK YOU!

#227 · (Edited)
After I thought I knew everything I wanted, salesperson said I should add on the Dynamic Handling Package ($1000). The car will be a 435i M Sport. I don't race my cars ***8230;.. just a gal who loves BMW's ***8230;.. Should I get this add on? Thoughts please! THANK YOU!
DHP isn't just for racing, it has an adaptive suspension which is great over potholes, constantly monitors and adjusts for road conditions in milliseconds. Additionally, there's a button that switches the ride from hard (Sport) to soft (Comfort) making physical and mechanical changes to the ride. So...

Are you getting an all wheel drive XDrive or going with rear wheel drive?

If you are going XDrive, you must get DHP for crisp handling. The XDrive suspension is the same on all cars, it removes the M-Sport suspension, and it is the softest suspension BMW makes.

If you are going RWD, you would only need DHP if you wanted to soften things up, perhaps for the kids, M-Sport RWD setups keep their standard hard (Sport) suspensions.

BJ

#245 ·
Well, in my case it wouldn't be cheaping out of necessity per se since I'm a minimalist when special ordering....and only getting options that I really want.

With the ZHP that was Natural brown leather, heated seats and Xenon's; with the 135i it was Le Mans blue metallic paint, M Sport Package, Lemon leather, heated front seats and iPod w/USB. I didn't have a call on what the 1 M came with since I bought it used as the 3rd owner with 1850 miles on it, and I would have been happy to take it even if it was optioned to the max. But I was fortunate it had none of the price bloated bundled option packages, and had the ala carte options of Valencia orange metallic paint, heated front seats and HK that I would have ordered if I could have originally, plus Satellite radio, Hands-free Bluetooth and Enhanced Bluetooth w/USB that are useless to me.

The standard sport tuned passive suspension that come with BMW's are the cornerstone of what makes these cars special. And even with the M tuned suspension I'm amazed at how civilized and compliant it is. The suspension really absorbs any bumps or irregularities and insulates those inside the cocoon very well. The NVH quotient is well within tolerance for a high strung vehicle like this. Make no mistake, because you definitely feel road imperfections, but it doesn't jar you violently, and cause filings to dislodge as I had originally feared. The M engineers are able to whip up some kind of magic to make an M as good a daily driver as a track car even with the standard suspension.

Living in the snow belt we're well familiar with pockmarked, potholed and band-aid patched surfaces……..INDOT workers here are a full year behind patching many of the roadways and sidestreets that came about due to the brutal winter of '14.

Okay, I get it...............and I'm not begrudging anyone else that desires to option their horseless carriage to be more comfortable........it all boils down to personal preference.

My major concern is that BMW is concentrating more on making their vehicles an isolated all-purpose Swiss army knife, instead of the dynamic perfectly balanced precision scalpel 'Ultimate Driving Machine' that placed it miles beyond the competition until recently.

The perfect balance that used to be the BMW DNA is askew.

I'm not ready to wring my hands yet, and the fatherland ship is certainly not foundering, but improving upon the perceived 4 series interior inferior quality lament, or providing damping option settings is not going to return the former BMW verve.

#236 ·
Yes, the 330ci with 140,000 miles on it is still running strong. I was in the BMW Dealership to buy a pair M driving gloves for my brother for Xmas ***8230; and then, wouldn't you know, I had to look at the beautiful cars in the showroom while I was there ***8230; and that's when I couldn't stop looking at the 435 ***8230; should never have gone in to buy the gloves! I'm still going to keep the 330ci ***8230; can't part with it. I will put snows on it and drive it in the winter and use the new one when the sun is out ***8230; all the miles have been put on in NY ***8230; and weekly trips to Cape Cod ***8230; 95North ***8230; long ride ***8230; but. fun with the bimmer.

OK ***8230; so, it looks like with everyone's wonderful input, I still need to consider the DHP. I don't want to make a mistake as I plan on keeping this car for a long, long time.

Thank you everyone and a Happy and Healthy New Year to all ***8230; Joanie

#237 · (Edited)
Totally OT, but with all the talk about E46 330Ci ZHPs, I had to chime in; I just saw a black one in the Kroger parking lot in pristine condition. Man, that car will forever be my mental image of what a BMW should look like; small, perfect proportions, gorgeous wheels, simple driver-focused interior. The E9x and F3x just look awkward by comparison (as all future cars will, thanks to crash standards and ever-fatter customers demanding bigger cars), albeit technologically superior.

If I could go back in time to 2006, I'd buy myself a ZHP coupe and a Saab 9-2X Aero, both MT. Drive the Bimmer all summer and the Saabaru all winter. Now both cars are unicorn-rare, so I missed my opportunity :cry:

#241 ·
If I could go back in time to 2006, I'd buy myself a ZHP coupe and a Saab 9-2X Aero, both MT. Drive the Bimmer all summer and the Saabaru all winter. Now both cars are unicorn-rare, so I missed my opportunity :cry:
Its not too late! There are still very nice ZHP examples out there. The prices are higher than your typical E46, but that's to be expected.

I was very seriously considering a ZHP as an extra fun car a while back, drove a bunch of cars in my search. Man, that's a nice package and a really fun vehicle overall!

#238 ·
Hi Phew ***8230; You are so right on the E46 chassis ***8230; it is the perfect proportion ***8230; and you know what, I feel that my E46 is lower to the ground than the new 4 series. I also do prefer the side windows being "lower" ***8230; somehow when I sit in the new 4 series the "bottom" of the window seems to be in a higher position. Do you know what I mean? Loved your point of it being the mental image of what a BMW should look like ***8230; I totally agree with you. My brother has a 2005 M3 ***8230; same chassis ***8230;. gorgeous! I'm probably going to make you laugh but, what does ZHP stand for? I'm new to the site and "lingo".
So I guess it was the drive that made me want to get a 4 series ***8230; although, I do think the body is beautiful. Regardless, my 2002 330ci will still be with me in the family!

#239 ·
Hi Phew …. You are so right on the E46 chassis …. it is the perfect proportion …. and you know what, I feel that my E46 is lower to the ground than the new 4 series. I also do prefer the side windows being "lower" …. somehow when I sit in the new 4 series the "bottom" of the window seems to be in a higher position. Do you know what I mean? Loved your point of it being the mental image of what a BMW should look like …. I totally agree with you. My brother has a 2005 M3 …. same chassis ….. gorgeous! I'm probably going to make you laugh but, what does ZHP stand for? I'm new to the site and "lingo".
So I guess it was the drive that made me want to get a 4 series …. although, I do think the body is beautiful. Regardless, my 2002 330ci will still be with me in the family!
If the E46 is what you want, buy the 2 series. Easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.