BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

4 series interior quality: not good at all

37K views 390 replies 74 participants last post by  eazy 
#1 · (Edited)
Apologies for the long and somewhat rant-like post. Please take what I'm about to write as a genuine opinion from a frustrated owner.

So I've had my 435i for close to 6 months and it has roughly 7000 miles on it. The car is incredibly great to drive, amazingly comfortable and sounds fantastic. We just came back from a 2000 mile 7 day road trip where I did 100% of the driving and I never got tired or worn out. Brilliant car dynamically, fantastic engine, 8 speed auto box is essentially perfect. I love the heads up display, and the active cruise is the best feature on any car I've ever owned, period.

That being said, I have to vent a bit on BMW's interior quality. It's flat out bad. Maybe my car is one of those 'last shift on Friday' cars. The interior has developed about 6 separate intermittent and annoying rattles, and a couple of severe constant ones as well. The car has been in the shop for a total of 3 weeks since new for this and other issues (other major issue was electronic cooling fan failure). Some of the rattles are not fixed yet, the worst one being related to the ski hatch between the rear seats.

Coming from a C class that had 15,000 miles when I sold it, I am deeply disappointed with BMW's interior quality. The interior finishes just are not up to the same standard as Mercedes. That car never had a single squeak or rattle the entire time I had it. Some specific things I dislike about the BMW:

- Cup holder lid that has to be removed and stashed - cheapness personified. How about a hinged lid? The one on my Merc was hinged and nicely damped.
- Center console storage bin lid - again cheapness personified. Cheap feeling latch, no damping so it just falls shut.
- Use of cheap looking glossy (or matt if you order it) plastic trim as highlight details on the dash and doors.
- Cheap-looking silver-painted plastic on the steering wheel and gearshift surround, where other brands normally have nice brushed aluminum

Overall the interior is symptomatic of a company that doesn't understand or doesn't care about surprise and delight (it's a thing in product design). This is not some opinion from someone who kicked the tyres on some cars at a dealership, I've owned both cars for considerable periods and paid from them out of my own pocket. If it was just the finishing that was poor compared to other luxury brands I could forgive it. But a car should not sound like it is falling apart after 5000 miles. I will probably have one more go with the dealership trying to fix the ski hatch rattle, then just live with it after that.

At this point I don't see myself staying with the BMW brand next time I lease a car. Very disappointed.

See less See more
#247 · (Edited)
I'm in a 2011 335ix and absolutely love the interior. I recently had it at the dealer for a couple of days for the VANOS recall and maintenance, so I received a loaner 2014 328i. That was my third time in the newer 328 and have to say it is nice, but I definitely like my interior better. I immediately felt that the quality of the materials used on the dashboard were lesser. The first thing that stares you in the face is the instrument cluster, it just lacks details that a $40K car should have. I've seen the interior of the 335i M Sport and it does look better, but it still has the same plastic feel to it. I'm hoping BMW reverts back soon - it shouldn't feel like a Honda Accord on the inside!

#249 ·
If only BMW would offer the Corinthian leather option of the Chrysler LeBaron.

#256 ·
When car shopping for the eventual 328i purchase and earlier when looking at the X3, the common positive theme in most professional reviews was the fit and finish of the interiors.
I agree that this area is a beauty is in the eye of the beholder type of thing so opinions will vary.
While the styling is sparse compared to some of the competition, I have no problems with the quality or fit of the materials used.

#268 ·

#271 ·
I like the E46 interior layout if for no other reason than the power window switches were placed spot on in the center console where any self respecting enthusiast (at least those inclined to 3 pedals) would want them. Oh, and the ZHP shift knob doesn't reek either. :)

Probably the only thing I hate about the 1 M where they're placed on the arm rest. :(

Attachments

#283 · (Edited)
I've now received contact from BMW NA - they will investigate to see what the dealer has done to date and get back to me within 5 business days. They asked me what resolution I want - I said I'd like the car fixed for preference! I had given this question some more thought prior to them calling me, and truthfully I still really, really like this car and would prefer to keep it. Besides, right now there is nothing else on the market that takes my fancy at the same price point, so having them buy the car back won't really do it. I don't want to wait 3 months for a replacement to be built and shipped from Munich, so a replacement is not high on my list either. I just want my car, minus the creaks and rattles!

#284 ·
The interior of the e9x wasn't bad, but you had to get the right color combo to make it look nicer. Similar to the f3x where BJ showed his saddle brown combo. If you get it in black or beige, it just highlights the hard plastics more. Black leather fades into the background and therefore make the car feel less luxurious. Those of us with two tone interiors add color and life, making it feel more spacious and expensive. You can't avoid faux aluminum and other plastic tidbits in these class of cars. Even with Audi, the A4/S4 had faux aluminum that spanned the entire dash. You'd have to upgrade to a 5 series or an A6 to get the higher end touches. The 3 series is a volume seller, you need to maximize your margins and cant use the same higher materials of the 5 or 7 series.

#285 ·
Black interior has additional problems for F30, because with the "Dakota" leather the black is already pretty weak, it looks washed out. In a convertible it is really noticeable. Real-er black cannot be had in a US F30, the closest thing is a F80.

Saddle brown is the way to go, at least in the F22. In the F30 that gets you into luxury line which sounds fine if you plan to go xdrive+DHP anyway, until you realize that you now deleted the sport line exclusives *again*.

I've been told in p.m. that my rants about BMW's option strategy are entertaining. I hope that's true because it doesn't look like I can stop anytime soon.

#286 ·
Black interior for me. I hate all the mismatching colors especiallly red leather. That was cool in 2008 for the rich high school kids. Even those kids have grown out of it.

If you want to see how brown leather should be done, take a look at Porsche.

#296 ·
I picked up my 435 a few days and I think the interior quality is good. I've driven several F30's from a 320 xDrive to a 328 xDrive and the interior quality of those two were not great but were acceptable. I do think that BMW should sell their cars with nappa or merino leather on all models whether standard or optional. My car has Dakota leather seating with walknappa leather dashboard and it does look and feel more premium than the average 1-4 series model.

#314 ·
Interesting discussion. This thread has wandered quite a bit but still interesting. I must admit I haven't actually sat in a new C class but as people have said it looks great in photos and in the video reviews I've watched as well. I specifically watched to see how light moves across the different surfaces and it all looks very good. Doubtless there is plenty of plastic there but I would venture that the key tactile points are upgraded materials (e.g. window switches and steering wheel decorative trim are all aluminum).

Call me shallow but I love an aluminum-trimmed steering wheel. I liked to touch the metal parts of the wheel on my previous C class coupe :angel:

Still waiting for BMW NA to do their thing. I received another email update from them today and interestingly the word 'repurchase' has now made an appearance.

#316 ·
Enough with the plastic whining already, people.

There was a ton of plastic in the E90 interior, just look at that huge strip on the passenger side with both cheap cupholders embedded on springs for cripesakes. Or look at that huge center stack that looks like an Aiwa mini system from 1992. Enough.

The win on the F30 interior is the technology and creature comforts that are now standard and the design that is more in keeping with a luxury car. If you want more leather on the dash and platinum gearshift knobs, go buy a 7 Series.

BJ

#323 ·
Well folks it looks like I've reached the end of the line on this one. BMW NA have decided they will repurchase the car. I'm kind of sad. Didn't think I'd be sentimental about this but I get attached to all my cars and it's always hard to part with them in the end.

This leaves me in a bit of a spot. Leaving aside what brand I will go with, there is a 99% chance I will want to custom order another car and that will involve another 2-3 month wait. I'll need to have wheels in the interim but being new to the US (been here 8 months) I'm not really sure what the options are there. Any folks have insight into this? Maybe a dealer would offer me a long term rental if I'm buying a car from him? Long term rental from some other agency?

#327 · (Edited)
I was in the exact same situation. I asked if they could delay the buyback if I decided to get another BMW. They gave a week or two to decide whether I wanted another BMW and to provide the production number if I decided to order one. Since I did decide to get another BMW and provided the production number, they delayed buying the car back till the new one got in which was about 3 months later.

#325 ·
I'm in California so it's being done according to the California Lemon law. This means refund of the purchase price minus a pre-determined amount for use of the car. This is a percentage of the purchase price based on the number of miles the car had traveled at the first repair attempt divided by 120,000 (expected lifetime of a car). I.e. miles/120000 * purchase price. I don't know if they use the MSRP or invoice price.

#332 ·
I haven't been asked to sign any non disclosure so...

BMW have refused me a trade-assist, so if I want to get another BMW I have to choose from stock or make my own arrangements for the next 3 months. It really feels like they just want to get rid of me and don't want my custom.

#340 ·
I prefer the iDrive screen placement in the E9x as it was much less subject to glare and reflections particularly when the top was down.

#342 ·
I can not speak to glare/reflection as I'm anxiously awaiting re-delivery and Spring so I can enjoy the top-down experience. :) You do make a valid point however, if you opted for the fabulous HUD everything you would want to see on the nav screen (directions, music, contacts, incoming calls, etc.) can be shown in the HUD...live and in living color...sun glare/reflection issue solved. :D

#341 ·
I think it is very much established that E90 has better material and feels better built (overall). Enough threads/posts about this topic already.

No one is arguing that F30 has a slick interior design. That's a whole other topic.

#346 ·
I think it is very much established that E90 has better material and feels better built (overall). Enough threads/posts about this topic already.

No one is arguing that F30 has a slick interior design. That's a whole other topic.
I wouldn't say that is established at all except by a fairly small, but very vocal group on the forums.

^^^^ This! There is constant glare on the F30 display as they do not use a matte finish on the display.
I have not had this problem with my F30/F80. If it is that sunny/bright I'm wearing sunglasses anyway and it is not an issue. I can see it being more of an issue on a vert with the top down.

@ LeLe50, some people with polarized sunglasses say they can't see the HUD. I have Ray Bans that are polarized and have not had an issue with it. It is dimmer, but still easily visible for me.

#348 ·
One big problem is the current steering wheels.

The m-sport wheel looks decent in photos. The non-M steering wheel has to go.

So far so good, but coming out of a e46 or e90 and actually test driving a F30 variant there is no denying that the steering wheel, even the M-sport one, feels cheap and made from less sophisticated looking materials. The wheel becomes very important once you go from picture browsing to test driving. Current BMWs do not do well here. Even Mercedes got a better one now, although of course the pre-facelift one was out of competition terrible.

I just checked my notes from when I drove my first F30. Which was an M-sport. At the time I didn't know it could be worse :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.