BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

428i vs 435i

83K views 614 replies 87 participants last post by  u3b3rg33k 
#1 ·
My current car is a 1999 328i, and I haven't been interested in a new car til they came out with the 4 series gran coupe, so I'm now starting to look into my options and it's a little overwhelming. I haven't driven the car yet, but I have driven my friend's 2013 328i and my understanding is that the differences between the 4 series and the 3 series are mostly aesthetic. My reaction to driving my friend's car is that it wasn't as powerful/responsive as my 1999. So my first question is whether I'm crazy or whether that might be possible. I bought my car used, and not certified preowned or anything, so I don't know much about my car,but my sister is convinced my car's been modified. I find it hard to believe no one would have mentioned that to me in the last 10, but in any event, mentioning that for what it's worth. I recognize the possibility that what I'm interpreting as less powerful is really just ease, whereas I could be mistaking my car's hard work for power. But bottom line, if I drove a 2013 car and then drove my 1999 car, and preferred the 1999, for whatever reason, it doesn't motivate me to want to spend $40k on a new car. So my next question -- is the 435 significantly different such that I might prefer it to my car? What about the M sport package -- does that make much of a difference? i don't care about max speed, but I'm pretty fond of a quick 0-60 time -- because of freeway entrances where you have to merge into 80 mph traffic in very little time from a dead stop and, to be honest, the various obnoxious traffic moves I do that make people hate LA drivers.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
You are Mistaken.
the 428 and 435 are both twin spool turbo.

that means one turbo charger, with two separate exhaust manifold ports pressurizing the exhaust impeller to mitigate turbo lag. Due to engine physics the 4 controls turbo lag better than the 6.

The 6 cylinder has a larger turbo.

The M3 and M4s have 2 turbo chargers.

Here is a funny thing. After Researching Dinan Horse power data from the 4 and 6 cylinder engines, If you go to the Dinan web site, it appears the 4 cylinder engine is putting out higher torque and HP than BMWs ratings

I believe that this is to protect the stock 6 cylinder market. I think they under rate the 4 cylinder performance to justify the $4500 difference. Granted I have read that the 6 cylinder owners like the more refined sound and feel of the 6 cylinder.

for $1500 I plan to get the Tune on my 428GC that theoretically will out hoarse power and torque a stock 6 cylinder with a few other advantages:

1) 200 lbf lighter car

2) weight distribution is closer to the rear of the car (Much research, Back is Better for performance driving) Will no longer argue the point.

3) Normal Driving Gas mileage is the same with and with out the tune. Granted the 6 is only 2mpg off the 4 ( impressive)

However, if you just want MORE POWER!! you can get your 6 cylinder tuned from 300 HP to 360 HP and That should satisfy your large man balloons.

Attachments

#3 ·
A stock 1999 328i had a 0-60 time of 6.7 seconds, and a quarter mile time of 15.3 seconds. A 2014 428i has a 0-60 time of 5.3 seconds and a quarter mile time of 14.1 seconds. The 2014 435i has a 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds and a quarter mile time of 13.3 seconds.

#5 ·
Go take a test drive - make sure to put it in sport mode if you're doing an assessment of overall quickness. The 3 different driving modes are all significantly different from one another. The 428 is plenty of car to easily get around incompetent chumps on the road.

4 vs 3 - aside of styling differences, the 4 will feel a bit more planted due to its lower CG.

#6 · (Edited)
As in the previous posts while I haven't driven the 428 I did have a '15 528xDrive loaner a couple of weeks ago. I was VERY surprised (pleasantly) with the responsiveness and 'pep' of the engine and that was in a considerably larger/heavier car. I have no doubt that it would more than satisfy your need for speed even in LA traffic (unless, of course you get your kicks taking on big-block muscle cars). Of course the 6cyl is a honey of an engine and turns a quick ride into a quicker one!

#8 ·
In researching these cars before getting a 435i GC, the difference between the 3 and 4 series is that the 4 series is lower, the suspension is tighter, the stance is wider all translate into a better handling set up and it does feel more stable. I currently have a 2013 335 sport Line and can say you do feel and can tell the difference.

The 428 vs 435 is mostly low end refined power. The 428 seems to be more nimble in the turns because of less front end weight. The price difference is 4500, but the 435 does have more standard features. I personally like the 6 cylinder motor and dual exhaust. Plus you can get the 19" wheels with the 435.

My car comes in mid March, can't wait.....

#9 ·
No, the 4 does not have a different suspension per se. However, lower center of gravity applies and all these things come out a bit random, especially steering and handling wise.

Steering and handling (lean, suspension tightness) the F30s can be really bad. I'm not surprised you like you 1999 better after driving only one random F30. You can find good ones, but they are in a minority.

I would stick with the old car for now and drive more F30s. If an un4gettable drive event come near you take it and drive everything they have.

#16 ·
Don't discount a CPO. I just bought a 2014 328i with 5,000 miles which was $11,000 less than MSRP, plus 1 year and 25,000 miles added to the warranty under the CPO Elite program, 0.9% financing with a $500 credit toward your first loan payment ($1,000 for some higher level models).

#17 ·
I always had big V8 cars, and still have a Range Rover Sport, so
I was worried that a 4 banger could not give me the power when I wanted it. What would I tell people? Driving a 4 cylinder? You're not cool.
Well, my 428i Coupe has plenty of power when you need it.
The best car I've ever had.
My black glossy kidney grills will be here this week.
Very happy with the 428i.
Also getting 24-25 mpg as a daily driver.

#20 ·
First off, welcome aboard.

You live in Los Angeles. You will never feel the difference in power between the 35i and the 28i as you will rarely be able to go a quarter mile without sitting behind a soccer mom anyway. The difference between the cars is fractional. Save the money towards other options, enjoy the better gas mileage, and don't let this bother you one iota. Most people who get the 35i are poseurs who want people to think they are fast drivers; in reality they're burning $5,000 for a badge and a problematic powerplant that gets them to Home Depot no faster than the 28i does.

BJ

#24 · (Edited)
...Most people who get the 35i are poseurs who want people to think they are fast drivers; in reality they're burning $5,000 for a badge and a problematic powerplant that gets them to Home Depot no faster than the 28i does.

BJ
Interesting. I would think that the opposite is more likely to be true. Go big or go home still applies for some people.

#21 ·
i don't care about max speed, but I'm pretty fond of a quick 0-60 time -- because of freeway entrances where you have to merge into 80 mph traffic in very little time from a dead stop and, to be honest, the various obnoxious traffic moves I do that make people hate LA drivers.
You live in Los Angeles. You will never feel the difference in power between the 35i and the 28i as you will rarely be able to go a quarter mile without sitting behind a soccer mom anyway.
He seems to have made his interests pretty clear. The fact they do not align with yours is irrelevant.

#35 ·
Thanks everyone! These replies have been very helpful. And you guys have reminded me that I highly doubt my friend's car was in sport mode when I drove it.

Definitely just considering the gran coupe. I really want the 6 series gran coupe, but the cost is keeping me from considering it.

(As an aside, "manly" is really not the look I'm going for. ;))

#38 ·
I've owned both cars equipped with the turbo 4 (N20) and one with the turbo 6 (N55).

The N20 is no slouch and is a great engine. If you have it in sport mode it will be significantly faster than your current car. Passing cars and merging are no problem with this engine. It is plenty fast and very fun.

The N55 in my opinion just builds on everything that is good about the N20 . It is more effortless and I found I could pass people with ease without switching to sport mode all of the time. I found it to be smoother and it sounded better. But, I've heard the newer N20 equipped cars sound much better than my older car.

Either way you can't go wrong, it just comes down to what you want.

#36 ·
Actually BJ has a point. these are the same arguments people make about the e30 with the 4 vs. 6 cyl motors. more power with the 6, lighter nose with the 4. of course with a turbo 4, you can just bump the power if the badge isn't what matters to you. Low 300hp range should be easily obtained with the N20. lower moment of inertia is something you can definitely feel on tight twisty roads.

#37 · (Edited)
I think more of his point, which I agree with, is the vast majority of people do not drive these things anywhere close to the limit. Which they shouldn't do on public roads anyway. So an N20 equipped vehicle is more than enough power for every day needs like Home Depot runs etc.

Where I disagree with BJ is getting an N55 equipped car is a poser move. If we are going down that road then the vast majority of us are posers. A V6 equipped Camry or Accord is just as fast as 328/428 and a fully loaded one is thousands less. So it is not about need, it is about want. So just get what you want forget about the rest of this crap.

#41 ·
Very Nice - I take it you mean it has a CARB approval?

#47 ·
It's very simple:

People that drive cars that cost less than mine really want one like mine but can't afford it and people who drive cars that cost more than mine are irresponsible showoff spendthrifts.

People who drive slower than me are idiots and people who drive faster are maniacs.

#72 ·
Since some have questioned the need for power in a traffic-congested city, here's a specific example. You approach an intersection with a red light, with a long line of cars, who were previously and likely to continue going, say, 28 mph. It's not totally bumper to bumper, and there is an opportunity to speed up if you can get in front of this line of cars. So, when approaching the red light, you decide to get into the parking lane. There are parked cars on the other side of the intersection. Therefore for this to work, you have the length of an intersection to overpass a car.* So, more specifically, I really care about the 0-40 stat, but they don't publish that.

*I recognize this is obnoxious, illegal, and dangerous. But it is a heck of a lot more dangerous if your car is too slow and/or not responsive enough to do this successfully.

#73 ·
Since some have questioned the need for power in a traffic-congested city, here's a specific example. You approach an intersection with a red light, with a long line of cars, who were previously and likely to continue going, say, 28 mph. It's not totally bumper to bumper, and there is an opportunity to speed up if you can get in front of this line of cars. So, when approaching the red light, you decide to get into the parking lane. There are parked cars on the other side of the intersection. Therefore for this to work, you have the length of an intersection to overpass a car.* So, more specifically, I really care about the 0-40 stat, but they don't publish that.

*I recognize this is obnoxious, illegal, and dangerous. But it is a heck of a lot more dangerous if your car is too slow and/or not responsive enough to do this successfully.
Both cars will get you in front. Watch your adjacent car. If he launches as soon as you do. Abort!!

#75 · (Edited)
Just the drive home from Durham to Raleigh, in a 328 lender tells me that BJ is out of his mind with the whole lack of 428/435 performance differential. The 328 is foot to the floor to make the same moves a 435 will make at part throttle.

Its a very strong 4, runs heads up with the new Acura TLX N/A V6, but its not at the performance level of a turbo 6, which would be easy to demonstrate to anyone who is interested.:)

#79 ·
After owning both I can tell you without a doubt that the 6 cyl car is a different animal altogether. People who say that the little 2l 4 cyl is enough car haven't owned a 335. Also not sure I'd take and advice on Perfrormance from a guy who glues little M badges all around his 4 cyl hatchback 428.

#83 ·
Ah, but he should take advice from the only known owner of a MT 335i XDrive without DHP, the biggest engine on the softest BMW suspension with the needless inconvenience of having to use a clutch.

And speaking of glue, how's the $70 eBay stick-on spoiler from Taiwan treating you?

See earlier post on who the real poseurs are.

BJ

#81 ·
Yes a 435i would be more fun and more refined, but in 99% of typical public roadway situations the 4 cylinder will be more than sufficient. And let's face it, a 428i will be an improvement over a 15 year old E46 - in sport mode of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.