BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The ultimate check your BMW 3 Series F30 deal thread

470K views 1K replies 287 participants last post by  335fresh 
#1 · (Edited)
In an attempt to reduce the number of threads created by number hungry potential leasees/purchasees, I've put together a spreadsheet that is far more comprehensive than any auto finance or lease calculator you'll find online.

In addition to merely presenting you with cash flows and monthly payment figures, this spreadsheet will also calculate roughly how good of a deal you are getting via a field called negotiating margin. Aside of just the sales price alone, the negotiating margin will increase if you are paying an excessively high money factor or doc fees which may be an indication you are leaving money on the dealer's side of the table.

The spreadsheet also allows you to explicitly set how fees and taxes are handled for leases. For example, you can configure the deal such that taxes are paid on the entire value of the car rather than just the depreciation. Additionally, you can also configure how taxes are paid whether it is cash due at signing, a cap cost adjustment, or simply a monthly component of your lease payment.

I've copied and pasted the help information below so you can get an idea of how flexible this spreadsheet is. Also, because BF does not allow .xlsx attachment, you'll have to click the link below to view the spreadsheet from my google drive. In order to edit the quantities, simply download the spreadsheet by clicking the downward pointing arrow towards the top-center of the viewer. All calculations are done using formulas, thus there are no macros embedded in the workbook.

Click here to open up the spreadsheet

Instructions

Read the instructions, this will assist you in filling out the information on the "Main" and "Data" sheets

Generally, you will spend the majority if your time on the "Main" sheet. However, occasionally you may need to change some numbers which are generally more universal.
These are found on the "Data" sheet. See section 7 for details on how to change values on the "Data" sheet.

The only values you need to fill in / choose are those in cells with a blue background

Section 1 needs to be filled in correctly to provide an accurate estimate of your negotiating power which is presented in Section 2. For purchase/lease comparisons fill out all sections.
Purchasees must fill out: Section 2, the first three questions in Section 3, and Section 5A.
Leasees must fill out: Section 2, Section 3, Section 4, and Section 6A.

Section 1: Type of sale
The purpose of this section is to provide information to the Sale Information section. This will help to determine dealer cost as well as your potential negotiating margin.
For leases, your negotiating margin will also be influenced by the lease acquisition fee as well as the money factor. If you pay in excess of their respective baseline quantities
on the "Data" sheet, this will be reflected in greater negotiating margin.

In this section, enter the following quantities:
1. Purchase Type [Lease/Buy]: Choose the appropriate value for your type of purchase
2. Delivery Type [US/Euro]: If you are picking up your car at the BMW Welt in Germany choose Euro, otherwise choose US

Section 2: Sale Information
1. Base vehicle MSRP: The price of the base vehicle before options, fees, etc.
2. Total of Options MSRP: The price of all the options the car has summed together.
3. Dealer Incentives: The total of any amounts the dealer is reimbursed for your purchase.
4. Sales Price: The negotiated sales price of the car including handling before any fees.
5. Admin/Misc/Doc Fees: The total of all paperwork fees charged by the dealer.
Note: This may include temporary registration. Do NOT add in any full registration/titling/licensing fees.​
6. Lease Acquisition Fee (leases only): The fee the dealer is charging to establish your lease agreement.

Section 3: Tax Questions
1. Tax Rate: Enter the tax rate you'll pay based on your location - may be a combination of state and local taxes.
2. Admin/Misc/Doc Fees Taxable [Yes/No]: Typically, these fees are NOT taxable, however if they are then select yes.
3. Trade In Tax Deduction [Yes/No]: In most states, the taxable amount is reduced by the value of your trade in. If it isn't select no.
4. Lease Acquisition Fee Taxable (leases only) [Yes/No]: Typically this fee is taxable, but if it is not then select no.
5. Lease Interest Taxable (leases only) [Yes/No]: In some states, the interest paid on leases is taxable. If this is not true about your state, select no.
6. Residual Value Taxable (leases only) [Yes/No]: In most states, taxes are only paid on the depreciation, however if your state taxes the full value of the car then select yes.

Section 4: Lease Cash Flow Questions
In this section, enter how the following quantities are paid:
1. Admin/Misc/Doc Fees [Cash At Signing/Cap Cost Adjustment]: Generally these are paid as Cash due at signing.
2. Lease Acquisition Fee [Cash At Signing/Cap Cost Adjustment]: Generally this is paid as Cash due at signing.
3. Lease Taxes: Some states require taxes to be paid up front, but you may have the option to finance the taxes.
Cash At Signing: Simple, taxes are paid in a single cash payment at signing.​
Cap Cost Adjustment: Taxes are added to the cap cost and are implicitly reflected in the monthly lease payments via greater cap cost.​
Monthly Payments: Taxes are paid monthly and are an explicit component of the monthly lease payment.​

Section 5A: Finance Information
1. Term: The number of months your financing agreement lasts for (typically 36-72).
2. Net Trade In Value: The value offered for your trade in less any balance owed on the trade in vehicle.
3. Down Payment: The amount of cash paid upfront towards the vehicle purchase.
4. Interest Rate: The annual interest rate on your auto loan.

Section 5B: Tax Information (Purchase)
Nothing to enter here, rather this section shows a breakdown of how the tax was calculated for your purchase.

Section 5C: Finance Details
Nothing to enter here, rather this section shows a breakdown of how much was paid for the car, how much was financed, and what the total cost of the purchase was with any interest paid over the financing term.

Section 6A: Lease Information
1. Term: The number of months your leasing agreement lasts for (typically 24-39).
2. Net Trade In Value: The value offered for your trade in less any balance owed on the trade in vehicle.
3. Down Payment: The amount of cash paid upfront towards cap cost reductions.
4. Residual Value: The percentage of the vehicle's value (based off MSRP) remaining at lease termination.
Note: BMW issues fixed percentages for residual values based on the vehicle, annual mileage, and lease term. These values typically change monthly. It is up to the leasee to enter the correct residual. Additionally, it is also up to the leasee to perform their due diligence to ensure the residual he/she is being quoted is "fair."​
5. Base Money Factor: The money factor being offered to you before any additional security deposits.
6. # Extra Security Deposits: The number of extra security deposits you are making upfront to reduce your money factor.
With all leases you will pay 1 security deposit upfront, but this will not reduce your money factor. However, you can make a maximum of 7 extra security deposits (total of 8) to minimize your money factor.​

Section 6B: Tax Information (Lease)
Nothing to enter here, rather this section shows a breakdown of how the tax was calculated for your lease.

Section 6C: Lease Details
Nothing to enter here, rather this section shows a breakdown of the lease depreciation, interest, and taxes. This section calculates the monthly lease payment as well as the amoutn of cash due at signing. Lastly, it also presents the amount of cash you would pay if you chose to make a cash purchase of the vehicle at the residual value upon lease termination. This may be helpful for a purchase/lease comparison.

Section 7: The "Data" Sheet
The values on this sheet can be considered to be relatively constant, however should you need to change anything here is a description of all the values on this sheet.
1. Base Discount Ratio: Percent of the base vehicle MSRP that the dealer pays. Note that this value depends on the type of delivery being taken. See column B for the respective delivery type.
2. Options Discount Ratio: Percent of the lines/packages/options that the dealer pays. Does not include destination and handling.
3. Destination Cost: Destination and Handling cost. This does not get discounted in the dealer's cost.
4. Lease Acquisition Benchmark: BMW's advertised cost for the Lease Acquisition Fee. Any Lease Acquisition fee paid in excess of this amount increases your negotiating margin.
5. Money Factor Benchmark: BMW's advertised minimum base money factor for US deliveries. Generally, this value is higher by 0.0003 for European Deliveries. MF paid in excess of this amount increases your negotiating margin.
6. SD Reduction: The amount your money factor is decreased by each additional security deposit.
7. Max # Extra SDs: The maximum number of additional security deposits you can make to lower your Money Factor.
8. SD Rounding Increment: The nearest amount your monthly payment will be rounded up to in order to determine the base cost of an individual security deposit.
Example: With a lease payment of $507 and an increment of $50, the cost of each security deposit will be $550.​
9. Lease Disposition Fee: The amount you will pay at the end of the lease should you not choose to purchase the car or enter into a new lease agreement with BMW.

See less See more
#76 ·
Is there a list of auction items and is it possible to bid remotely?

#77 ·
M performance accessories are typically discounted just as any other standalone option. Multiply the MSRP of them by 91% and round towards the nearest $5. From time to time, dealers may get specials on them.

58% Residual seems low even for 15k miles. Just a month ago 12k/year leases were getting residuals in the mid-60s.

#80 ·
Hi all,

Looking to replace my 06 530xi Wagon with a 328i Wagon (with sport/contour seats) and have a few questions.
1. Can 2015 cars still be ordered? When do orders switch to 2016 models?
2. Any major differences between 2015 and 2016 on the 3-series wagon?
3. What kind of deals (over invoice or % off MSRP) could I hope for on a 2015 car off the lot? (I'll probably be paying cash in full, if that matters.)
4. What deals to expect on an ordered car (2015 or 2016)?
5. Are the Sport Line and M-Sport line seats the same? What are the major differences between these two lines?
6. How does the fake leather (Sensatec) trim feel and wear? Does your backside and back sweat more on that trim?
7. Is there still a % discount for European delivery and would it be subtracted off the negotiated (invoice + $xxx) price or is it only discounted off of MSRP?
8. What's the typical turnaround time from order to delivery?
9. Any suggestions for North East (CT, MA, NY, NJ) dealers that are open to quick, no bull, rock bottom cash deals?

Thanks in advance!

#82 · (Edited)
I must be doing something wrong with the spreadsheet.

A 2015 335xi has a base of $45,750. Options total $6800, so that's 53.5K plus the usual fees, most of which are taxable at 8.875%, including up front sales tax.

With no cap cost, and no trade-in, the spreadsheet gives me a lease payment of $663.78. My contract for 36months/12K miiles, which has no security deposit mentioned, has a payment of $572.40.

Note that I haven't paid a security deposit on any of the BMWs I've purchased or leased since the very first one, in December 1996. Perhaps that field should be modifiable?

In any case, with such a big payment difference, should I be worried about being blindsided at closing? I assume the residual to be 70% tomake my nymbers work. Is that out of line??

#83 ·
First post here but been reading for a while. Just got approved for a 2015 328xi.

Black sapphire/Oyster Dakota leather interior
Driver Assistance
Premium (waste of money but no choice with the options I wanted)
Navigation
Lighting package (why this isn't standard I still don't understand)
Heated front seats

36 months & 10k miles/year

48700 MSRP
45500 Invoice
------
$1000 Anniversary credit
$1000 Dealer credit
$500 extra manager deal (got lucky)

Came out to $2500 below invoice for a sale price of $43000.

66% Res. & base MF started at .00159

In NY so only one security deposit - $450
0 money down

Total due: $3715 for a monthly payment of $423.

Bit of money was left at the table, in my opinion, but nothing significant.

Thoughts?

#85 ·
First post here but been reading for a while. Just got approved for a 2015 328xi.

Black sapphire/Oyster Dakota leather interior
Driver Assistance
Premium (waste of money but no choice with the options I wanted)
Navigation
Lighting package (why this isn't standard I still don't understand)
Heated front seats

48700 MSRP
45500 Invoice
------
$1000 Anniversary credit
$1000 Dealer credit
$500 extra manager deal (got lucky)

Came out to $2500 below invoice for a sale price of $43000.

66% Res. & base MF started at .00159

In NY so only one security deposit - $450
0 money down

Total due: $3715 for a monthly payment of $423.

Bit of money was left at the table, in my opinion, but nothing significant.

Thoughts?
What is the 1,000 dealer credit? A drive event??

#84 ·
Been looking at a 3 series, trying to hit that lease point before it disappears, and hoping to get help from my buddy who is a great salesmen at BMW, and childhood friend!

2015 320i X-Drive

Lighting Package (An absolute must)
Sport Package
Drive Assistance
(Debating Premium package)

Listed as 39,995 on BMW Website

True Car Value has it at 36,544. Is this reasonable, could I get this lower? Thoughts!?

Probably doing a lease with 12k miles.

#87 ·
Just got the following deal for a 2015 328i.

Metallic/ Dakota leather interior
M-Sport
Driver Assistance
Navigation
Lighting package
Heated front seats

48350 MSRP
44834 Invoice
------
Selling price $42884.

66% Res. & MF with MSDs at .0008

0 money down

Total due: $3800 for a monthly payment of $399 (inclusive of tax).

Thoughts?

#88 ·
Just got the following deal for a 2015 328i.

Metallic/ Dakota leather interior
M-Sport
Driver Assistance
Navigation
Lighting package
Heated front seats

48350 MSRP
44834 Invoice
------
Selling price $42884.

66% Res. & MF with MSDs at .0008

0 money down

Total due: $3800 for a monthly payment of $399 (inclusive of tax).

Thoughts?
Great deal!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#90 ·
Residuals on 2016 models are not available yet. Historically the worst time to get the new model year is the month it becomes available as they are still incentivizing the current model year to try to move out leftover inventory. I would expect residuals on 2016 models to start lower than the current 2015 models but to increase every month up until years end depending on what BMW wants to do to boost sales.

If you lock a credit application against a 2015 model you should be able to lock the current top tier discount MF of .00128 for at least 60 days.

#91 ·
At a first stab at getting to a negotiated price, my salesman suggested a 5% discount off MSRP.

Note that truecar.com and edmunds.com don't have the 2016 invoice/fair market/MSRP numbers yet, I'm operating from a bit of a knowledge deficit on a good deal.

Config for 2016 328i close to fully loaded:
163N Base 328i with Manual Transmission $38,350.00
ZMT Manual Transmission
B45 Color: Estoril Blue Metallic $550.00
LCDJ Saddle Brown Leather w/ Leather $1,450.00
ZCV Cold Weather Package $800.00
ZDA Driver Assistance Package $950.00
ZDB Driver Assistance Plus Package $1,700.00
ZLP Lighting Package $800.00
ZMP M Sport Package $3,000.00
w/ 2PP (wheels/tires)
2VF Adaptive M Suspension $700.00
ZPP Premium Package $2,450.00
ZTP Technology Package $2,750.00
688 HK Surround Sound $875.00
6NS Enhanced USB and Bluetooth $350.00

Dest $995.00
Total $55,720.00

Sales Price (5% discount) $52,934.00

Config for 2016 340i similarly loaded:
163Q Base 340i $45,800.00
ZMT Manual Transmission
ZMP M Sport Package $2,600.00
w/ 2PP (wheels/tires)
ZPP Premium Package included
688 HK Surround Sound included

Dest $995.00
Total $59,445.00

Sales Price (5% discount) $56,472.75

Those 5% discounts from MSRP look reasonable to you guys?
I can probably whittle this down a little as I shop this to the various local dealers.

Did a quick and dirty 2015 build to see invoice vs MSRP and not counting incentives it looked like about 6% for both the 328 and 335s.

#92 ·
5% off is about $1500 over invoice. Not a bad deal, not a great deal, but a decent deal.

A lot of how good of a deal you can get depends on how big of a market you are in, and what time of the year/month you are buying. If you have remorse about the sales guy putting a few extra clams in his pocket you can always email the fleet manager of every BMW dealer within 200 miles of you to see who will give you the best price. Inevitably someone will probably offer you the car for approximately $500 over invoice.

Remember that a good deal is when everyone walks away happy, or at least no one is more pissed off than the other guy.

#95 ·
Okay so coincidentally enough I've got the lease #'s now for the 2016 3 series models.

24 mos - 65%
30 mos - 62%
36 mos - 59%

Add 2 % for 12K miles and add 3% for 10K miles.

Money factor is .00130

These numbers stink but are not unexpected. It's possible that residual will improve in Sept/Oct

#108 ·
Updated offer:

ZMT Manual Transmission
w/ 2PP (wheels/tires)

Dest $995.00
Total $55,720.00

Sales Price: $51,650 (originally offered 52,934.00, and 52k from other dealers in the area)
I'm under the impression that this is pretty good. I believe that's $30 under invoice, assuming Edmunds is accurate.

#109 ·
Updated offer:

ZMT Manual Transmission
w/ 2PP (wheels/tires)

Dest $995.00
Total $55,720.00

Sales Price: $51,650 (originally offered 52,934.00, and 52k from other dealers in the area)
I'm under the impression that this is pretty good. I believe that's $30 under invoice, assuming Edmunds is accurate.
That is very good price on a 2016 model! I Would just make sure if you are doing a lease that you get base MF and also find out what paperwork/doc fees your dealer charges (if any).

#111 ·
Good deal on a 2015 F31?

Should I take it or do ED on a 2016 instead?

2015 328i wagon
Melbourne Red
M Sport
Premium
Technology Package
Cold Weather
Driver Assistance Package
Lighting Package
Auto High Beams
Harman Audio
Side/Top cameras

MSRP: 57020 (they claim 57833 for some reason)

Offer: $50833
+ $195 Doc Service Fee (?? sounds bogus)
+ $103 licensing fee

Total sales price: $51131

If I did my math right this is $1682 below invoice.

2015 MSRP Invoice
Base 41950 39013
Red 550 500
M Sport 3500 3185
Premium 2200 2002
Tech 3150 2866
Cold 950 864
Driver 950 864
Light 900 819
Beams 250 227
HK Audio 875 796
Top Cams 750 682
Destination 995 995

Total 57020 52813

With similar options on a 2016 ED I would end up at $51053 plus maybe $1k profit for the dealer so roughly $52k

2016 MSRP Invoice(ED)
Base 39715 36934
Red 550 500
M Sport 3100 2821
Premium 1700 1547
Leather 1450 1319
Tech 2750 2502
Cold 800 728
Driver As. 950 864
Light 800 728
HK Audio 875 796
Top Cams 750 682
M Susp 700 637
Destination 995 995

Total 55135 51053

Thoughts?

#113 ·
Should I take it or do ED on a 2016 instead?

2015 328i wagon
Melbourne Red
M Sport
Premium
Technology Package
Cold Weather
Driver Assistance Package
Lighting Package
Auto High Beams
Harman Audio
Side/Top cameras

MSRP: 57020 (they claim 57833 for some reason)

Offer: $50833
+ $195 Doc Service Fee (?? sounds bogus)
+ $103 licensing fee

Total sales price: $51131

If I did my math right this is $1682 below invoice.

2015 MSRP Invoice
Base 41950 39013
Red 550 500
M Sport 3500 3185
Premium 2200 2002
Tech 3150 2866
Cold 950 864
Driver 950 864
Light 900 819
Beams 250 227
HK Audio 875 796
Top Cams 750 682
Destination 995 995

Total 57020 52813

With similar options on a 2016 ED I would end up at $51053 plus maybe $1k profit for the dealer so roughly $52k

2016 MSRP Invoice(ED)
Base 39715 36934
Red 550 500
M Sport 3100 2821
Premium 1700 1547
Leather 1450 1319
Tech 2750 2502
Cold 800 728
Driver As. 950 864
Light 800 728
HK Audio 875 796
Top Cams 750 682
M Susp 700 637
Destination 995 995

Total 55135 51053

Thoughts?
Destination on the 2015 should be $950. The paperwork fee should cover any "licensing" fees - though I don't even know what licensing fees are. There are registrations and titling fees, but that's its for a purchase.

If you have the time and the patience by all means do the ED. You're probably looking at an Oct Welt pickup if you ordered this week. Depending when/where you drop off the car in Europe you could roughly expect the pickup the car around the holidays or shortly after. We got incredibly lucky and our redelivery only took 5 weeks.

#115 ·
Can you guys rate this deal?

Brand New 328d 2015 Lease

10k miles 24 months
MSRP: $45,230
Selling price after rebates: $38,260
Residual: 71%
Drive-off: $4,000 (include 7 MSDs)
No marked up acq or doc fees to be found here.

Payment: $313 + tx

I'm thinking this is slightly better since TMV pricing on Edmunds puts this car selling price of $40,293 and then I have Drive Team USA for another 1k so coming down to $39,293.

What do you guys think?

#120 ·
Hey Guys,

Just got this offer on my first BMW, wanted to run it by you guys:

2015 328i Sedan

ZSL Sport Line 2,500
ZDA Driver Assistance Pkg 950
ZLP Lighting Package 900
2A5 18" Alloy Wheel AS/Perf 600
494 Heated Seats 500
688 HK 875

Dest 995

Total 45045, Selling 41,550.00

According to what i was given, its about 1k below invoice?

Lease info:
36 mo 10k/year
MF 1.3 ( I'm guessing this means .0013 )
Residual 66%

MSD hasn't been figured in yet.
No money down, and a Bank Free of 925 so 42,475 total Capitilized Cost.
Comes out to about 460-ish a month (500 after 8% tax )

How is it?

Thanks!

#121 ·
Hey Guys,

Just got this offer on my first BMW, wanted to run it by you guys:

2015 328i Sedan

ZSL Sport Line 2,500
ZDA Driver Assistance Pkg 950
ZLP Lighting Package 900
2A5 18" Alloy Wheel AS/Perf 600
494 Heated Seats 500
688 HK 875

Dest 995

Total 45045, Selling 41,550.00

According to what i was given, its about 1k below invoice?
I don't know about leases, but you might be able to get the selling price down somewhat. While not quite apples-to-apples, I've been getting price quotes on 328ds in the ~$50k MSRP range for $6.5k off. The "d" has an extra $500 eco incentive, but I'd guess that with some not-too-involved haggling you might be able to get them down as much as another couple of thousand. One of the major online buying services shows pricing as $5200 under MSRP for your configuration (and the dealer pays them something as well), though that's in a pretty competitive selling area (the Bay Area). With the end of the month coming up, you might offer them $39.5k or so and see what happens.

#122 ·
Hey Guys,

Below is the lease quote for 2015 335xi.

36 months/30k miles

MSRP:$58420
Selling Procs:$47650

Including dealer incentive and annual event 1000$ voucher:
$520 monthly payment , sign and drive with first month payment and $304 DMV fee due at signing.

how is the deal?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.