BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M Sport Badge

42K views 379 replies 97 participants last post by  captainaudio 
#1 ·
Just purchased a 2014 328i M Sport to replace our 2011 328i I personally didn't like a few things with the new car but have learned to like it. Can't get over steering but it's not my car it's my wifes. On to the question. Has anyone ever put an M Sport badge on the trunk of the car? I know your saying they make one? I want to purchase an M badge and a chrome sport badge and put them together on the trunk. What do you think? So it's not just the M badge alone. The car is an M sport so I figured this would be acceptable.

#167 ·
Hello, I can get those ///M fender badges for $30 ea here at the dealer (Germany). Let me know if your interested and I'll make it happen. I'll ship them USPS and accept PayPal.

Cheers!

Chad
Yes. I want two M badges for the fenders on my 428i coupe M sport. It's still in Europe waiting for the boat to ship here. I'd like to have them when it arrives. Let me know how to get them.

#162 ·
I think people like to debadge for different reasons. I debadged only the x-Drive badge as I didn't like how it looked. Some people like the clean look of no badges at all. I don't mind the model badge. As far as the M badge I think prior to BMW putting them on M Sport models it would be considered a no no to many including myself. My wanting to put the M fender badges on as well as others seems to be we are proud of our cars! We appreciate the fact that BMW recognizes the M Sport as a car that deserves the M badge (In Europe at least). BMW enthusiasts know the prestige of the letter M no matter how small it may be. It also looks very classy on the car, very subtle IMO

#164 ·
Robert, I don't understand removing all the badges either but I accept everyone's right to do whatever they want to their cars I'm fine with it either way but I agree it could reduce some of the branding. I seem to see it more not just on BMW's but on other brands as well and on more of the lower end models vs the higher end models. I see 7 series all the time but never debadged but I see 3 series debadged all over. You are probably right because I wouldn't consider putting an M fender badge on my car if BMW had not done it in Europe. The only way to not devalue the M brand would be to never put an M emblem on anything but a true M car as well as to never associate the M brand with lower model cars with M Sport options. If you own an M Sport and someone asks you is that an M? What is your answer?

#165 ·
The answer would have to be no...it's not an M3....m sport is an option package much like the premium package I have...it's the same as going on and on that I have a "premium" BMW...imagine if I plastered premium all over my car...talk about cheap looking

#169 ·
deise17311, bighorns, Well it happened to me when I was getting my car inspected. In the garage I could see every mechanic in the shop walking around my car. When I was leaving one of the mechanics asked if that's an M and I simply replied it's an M Sport. I guess I should now get used to this question as it will happen again for sure. I don't have a reply from BMW yet so my answer may change based on their explanation.

#170 ·
In post #127, Northcar shows us the M badge on the front fender - I think it looks sharp.
In post #139, bear-avhistory shows us the M performance sticker on the sill (associated with the MPPK, presumably) - also looks sharp.

Anyone here with both? For me, I think one or the other, but not both. Thoughts or preferences?
Thanks!

#177 ·
I received a reply from BMW to my question asking why certain models in Europe come with the M fender badges and the same US models do not. Here is the email response. Not what I was looking for.

Thanks for contacting the BMW Genius Team.

Our BMW engineering and design teams are dedicated to creating vehicles that move today***8217;s consumers and their demand for enhanced utility and more versatility. Many factors contribute to which features and options are offered on our vehicles. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide specific information on why the "M" badge is different on some US models compared to European models.

As always, BMW Genius product experts are readily available at participating authorized BMW centers to answer any questions you may have about our vehicles.

For your convenience, BMW Genius Team members can also be reached via the BMW Genius Hotline Monday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Eastern Time, at 1-844-4GENIUS (443-6487).

I hope this information is helpful. Thanks again for your inquiry.

Nick R.
BMW Genius
Representative

Make a BMW product expert your new co-pilot.

#178 ·
I received a reply from BMW to my question asking why certain models in Europe come with the M fender badges and the same US models do not. Here is the email response. Not what I was looking for.

Thanks for contacting the BMW Genius Team.

Our BMW engineering and design teams are dedicated to creating vehicles that move today's consumers and their demand for enhanced utility and more versatility. Many factors contribute to which features and options are offered on our vehicles. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide specific information on why the "M" badge is different on some US models compared to European models.

As always, BMW Genius product experts are readily available at participating authorized BMW centers to answer any questions you may have about our vehicles.

For your convenience, BMW Genius Team members can also be reached via the BMW Genius Hotline Monday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Eastern Time, at 1-844-4GENIUS (443-6487).

I hope this information is helpful. Thanks again for your inquiry.

Nick R.
BMW Genius
Representative

Make a BMW product expert your new co-pilot.
No where near a "Genius" answer...master side step tho

#180 ·
Did anyone have the dealer put the M badges on? If so, how much did they cost to put on?
I looked at pictures of European models closely and determined the dimensions to build me a template to locate them close (enough) to the factory install. You do not need a $140/hour BMW tech to install them. Even if they are off by 1/2" who is going to notice nor is it going to affect your car's functionality.

#181 ·
If you are asking opinions, here is mine---respectfully:
No adding badging.
More of my opinion: more stuff on the car looks less perfect. I was recently looking at an "Active Hybrid 3"....that thing had a whole collection of letters that needed to be melted off with a heat gun. It was not good to see. Not at all. I was shocked that the BMW company would do that. ick.

In my eyes, part of the manifold beauty of The BMW is it's restrained use of written information. (Have you ever been in a Toyota? The stupid thing has "automatic" printed on the window controls. Yuck. Is it a rental? Public transit???? Why does it have to spell out what the driver would already know, (or find out within one half second of touching the button)?Why spell out something that really does not matter. Yuck. (sorry, it is a pet peeve of mine) Are we in the car to drive, or to read? Let's just drive.

Also, I concur, that the dilution of ///M is a shame. Unless it's got four roaring pipes, and rips along past you on the freeway, gone as quick as you noticed it-uncatchable, then to me it is not an M.

Only my opinion. I also agree with others who have stated that it's your car: add or delete whatever makes your heart beat faster, and enjoy! I like to put luxe unburned candles in my car so it smells like oud and amber.....maybe someone else might put a magic pine tree in theirs hanging off the rearview mirror.....we all have our quirks....
Do whatever makes your Ultimate Driving Machine YOUR haven.

#183 ·
ronanz, "No where near a "Genius" answer...master side step tho" LOL Can you believe it!

Blueskies145, Totally respect your opinion except I'm past the point of no return and I guess just taking advantage of the M dilution but as not to misrepresent in the eyes of BMW
"Do whatever makes your Ultimate Driving Machine YOUR haven." I agree because in the end does it really truly matter?

Northcar, "I don't think the creators of that canned response realize how humorous it is." I'm really still speechless.

#184 ·
Most people out there don't even know what M stands for. Just saying...

Ironically, the people that do know what M stands for can also tell the difference between a real M car, and a non M car.

So on one hand, most people look at it and don't understand what it means, and on the other hand, car enthusiasts look at it, and think to themselves, "that's not a real M car."

That's why I think it's sort of silly to go out of your way and put M badges on your car. Now if it comes equipped with it, that's different.

#187 ·
That's why I think it's sort of silly to go out of your way and put M badges on your car. Now if it comes equipped with it, that's different.
This comment only applies to the US market. In the rest of the world M-Sport cars get delivered with the M fender badges. It is just a line designator just like everywhere else in the world the luxury line cars come with fender badges that read "Luxury" and the sport line cars come with fender badges that read "Sport".

#185 ·
Krash,

I agree the average car person does not know what M stands for, or X-Drive for that matter.
The people that do know what M stands for will know the difference between an M3 and and M Sport
Agree, most people will not understand what it means but I think enthusiasts will look at it and say that's a nicely equipped F30 M Sport

#186 ·
A lot of people know what an M is, but don't know what it looks like. I've had to explain the difference between M and M-sport to many non-car people.

#188 ·
I was having a conversation with my neighbors the other day. They are well educated professionals. Somehow we started talking about cars, and then I mentioned my next car is going to be an M3. Their eyes just glazed over. They have no idea what an M3 is. They're just not car people. For all they know, an M3 is the equivalent of a stripped down 320. I had to explain to them what an M is (heritage, performance characteristics, exclusivity, etc.).

I suppose there are people that do know what an M is, but perhaps cannot distinguish a 335 M Sport from an M3. However, I'd say the folks that know what M stands for, can generally pick one out from the crowd.

#189 ·
krash, I think this is why badging an M Sport like on Europe models won't matter because non BMW enthusiasts will not know either way. And BMW enthusiasts will see 328i or 335i on the trunk with small M fender emblems and say that's an M Sport. Someone debadging and putting an M emblem on a car trying to deceive what it really is will look silly in the eyes of enthusiasts that know the difference. Had BMW not sold M Sport cars in Europe with the M fender badges I would not be doing that mod. It's interesting however you can buy BMW oem M performance stripes front and rear for M Sports in the US anyway so what's the difference?Don't the stripes mean the same thing as the M badge? Same division?

#192 ·
I liked the look of the M fender badges and they were shown on the first 4 series cars that I looked at online (European models obviously). I was a bit disappointed when my 435i xDrive Gran Coupé arrived and it only had 7 M badges. After many sleepless nights I crossed over to the M badging dark side and picked up a pair for my fenders. Once they are installed, if I like the look I'll keep them, if not, they will sit on my computer monitor...:rofl:

#196 ·
Easy answer if the factory installed the badges them leave them or debadge even. Don't try to make it something it's not. Less is more

#202 ·
Yes, who needs individualism when we have a GREAT RULER to tell us how to be.

#198 · (Edited)
#200 · (Edited)
That's a better deal, in Chicago plates cost 300$ then it's 120$ each year to renew over 10 years I'd be paying 1500$, double. Everything's cheaper in Texas from cost of living to houses.

#208 ·
supradave,

I already have them and did not realize at the time BMW doesn't offer a oem power kit for my 328i Alternatively I will be purchasing in the very near future the Dinan stage 1 tune from my dealer to back up the installed M Performance stickers or remove them and replace with Dinan stickers to match the tune I will have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.