BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW cuts No Cost Scheduled Maintenance - 3 years, 36k miles and no brakes for MY 2017

83K views 415 replies 103 participants last post by  Mykatie 
#1 · (Edited)
BMW has just informed dealers that starting in Model Year (MY) 2017 the included No Cost Schedule Maintenance program will be reduced to a 3 year, 36,000 mile program. Currently BMW is offering a 4 year, 50,000 mile program with new car. Furthermore the new program staring for all 2017 vehicles no longer includes brake pads, brake rotors, wiper blades, engine belts or manual transmission clutches. As is currently, the new program will also be non-transferable.

In March of 2016, right when the first round of MY 2017 vehicles go on sale, BMW will being offering new maintenance program upgrades (MPU). These MPUs will be sold by the dealership and will further enhance and extended maintenance coverage.

This is a significant reduction in ownership value, especially in the 4th year when brake replacement is likely needed. Some Model Year (MY) 2017 production starts as soon as March (BMW production chart) so if you were on the fence about buying now or waiting to get a 2017 model this is something you should consider.

Complete 2016 Model Year BMW Pricing and Ordering Guides - All Models

The table below outlines the covered content in both the current 4 year, 50,000 mile program and the new 3 year, 36,000 mile No Cost Schedule Maintenance program. The new program applies to new car sales with a model year 2017 or great.

See less See more
#39 ·
This may not be a bad thing for CPO buyers..*****ers will price these changes into the deal. What should result is our ability to get better pricing AND be free of the stealership + our beloved SAs sooner. When I CPOd my X5, the fact that it had the extended maintenance up to 100k factored into the price. I will gladly pay less for a CPO car and go visit an indie that I trust. Plus, maybe then I won't be tempted to go talk with the salesmen about that shiny M3 on the showroom floor while my car is in for service...

#43 ·
This may not be a bad thing for CPO buyers..*****ers will price these changes into the deal. What should result is our ability to get better pricing AND be free of the stealership + our beloved SAs sooner. When I CPOd my X5, the fact that it had the extended maintenance up to 100k factored into the price. I will gladly pay less for a CPO car and go visit an indie that I trust. Plus, maybe then I won't be tempted to go talk with the salesmen about that shiny M3 on the showroom floor while my car is in for service...
They must have already cut this back, because CPO factory maintenance now only covers the original warranty period, not the CPO warranty period.

#56 ·
I live 92 miles from the BMW dealership I prefer to deal with. Considering the value of my time, and the $1/mile it costs me to own and operate my car, a "free" oil change costs me somewhere around $450. I also have access to a lift near my house. So, I do my own oil changes. My first BMW had 115k miles on it when I sold it, and it still had the original brake pads and rotors, and clutch. Coolant is now "lifetime." My M3 required two-year brake fluid replacement, where my 535i only requires three year brake fluid replacement. So, the new, lesser free maintenance rules would not really affect me.

#59 ·
WOW! This in tandem with the defanging of the "traditional" BMW driving feel and reduction of ED discount is going to cause me to look a lot harder at other brands next round. 3/36 is ridiculous. It says "we have no confidence in our cars."

#60 ·
Again--maintenance is being reduced, not the warranty. 4/50,000 is pretty standard for a lux car warranty; I don't see the warranty being reduced at all.

#61 ·
Man, you guys who are able to go 40-50k miles on a set of brakes baffle me. I hope this is common, because on all my Japanese cars I had to replace front brakes at around 18k miles (FWD cars). If I can get through this lease without brake work I'll be impressed.

It seems this new policy will affect dealer service revenue the most. After all, not only are they cutting the maintenance period by 25%, but they're also cutting out the most expensive services. This is going to hit them.

#62 ·
Wouldn't it increase dealer revenue? Customers will have to pay the dealer the retail service costs, rather than the dealer being reimbursed by BMW, which probably uses a standard reimbursement schedule, which is very likely a lower cost than is charged to the customer (kind of like insurance reimbursements vs. doctor charges direct to patients).

#65 ·
Maintenance being reduced, Euro Delivery discount being reduced, and worst the performance, handling, styling and design of a new BMW being marginalized to appeal to wider consumer base redefines the brand as being somewhat mainstream. All of which may make enthusiasts find themselves looking at a BMW through a rearview mirror.

#87 ·
After cutting off second owners on maintenance plan regardless of the car's age/mileage, BMW now cuts off also first owners after 3 years/36,000 miles. I guess BMW realized that even BMW cannot afford to maintain BMWs after 36,000 miles. That's what I would call awesome marketing. Pure genius.

#91 ·
I really don't think it is about affording it. I think it is about trying to increase PROFITS for BMW corporate (by keeping the MSRP the same and offering less coverage for the same or higher cost). Just my gut feeling...

#92 ·
Reduction of free maintenance is a bummer, though in my experience, maintenance can be quite inexpensive if done by a reputable independent. In the end, though, market forces will determine what programs BMW offers to its customers.

We've had it good in the US for quite a while.

#102 ·
Nine BMWs since 2001, but this development shakes my complacency. This spring I will scrutinize alternatives that I have ignored in the past. Thank you BMW for awakening me to a new world of possibilities.

#108 ·
Ive had my car for 2 years and the iDrive vehicle info reading says I have over 30k miles left on my front and rear brakes. Not sure how people are going through brakes so fast unless they are tracking their cars. I'm doing a mix of freeway driving and a lot of stop and go in L.A. Maybe it is from years of driving manuals but I always allow space between myself and the vehicle in front of me, also out of courtesy since I LOATHE when people ride my ass, which is like 90% of drivers it seems like. So I'm not always slamming on my brakes or riding my brakes.

#109 ·
The thing baffling me is how upset people are at loosing something most never even use.

No person leasing uses the 4th year anyway. And the fact that the 4th year is non transferable already means CPO buyers don't get it already. So what's the deal? So BMW is not footing the bill for an oil change at the dealer?

I guess if you lease and actually drive 15k a year you have one extra oil change to do before turn in.

You are under zero obligation to take the car to the dealer for service at any point other than recalls. I bet if BMW got rid of all maintinace dealer prices would rapidly drop for service as people head to indies.

#110 · (Edited)
I agree. people would grumble but i bet a large amount would still go back to the dealer. easier to go to a shiny dealer that also services the car, as opposed to hunting for a independent shop. also we are not taking into consideration that WE are a minority of BMW owners that really LOVE our cars and agonize over the littlest noises, creaks, etc. Most people just get in the car, press the button, and go. no consideration of warming the engine up, odd noises, performance values, etc. so people will hear no covered maintenance warranty BUT simply come to the dealer and we'll take care of it for you with BMW ORIGINAL PARTS and give you a loaner...SOLD.

#123 ·
This is BMW North America. Each market has their own incentive to buy, America having the best coverage. BMW AG (headquarters Europe) gives 2 ****s about what Americans offer.... A vehicle will not leave the factory without the car already being paid in full. I've ordered a BMW in Germany and you wouldn't believe me if I told you what it actually costs the factory to build a F30... It's not a profit margin, it's a profit canyon. My point is, don't think this is a decision coming from BMW. It's coming from the market and it has spoken loud and clear, no one else offers an all around deal on luxury cars like BMW; 4years 50k miles, attractive lease and financing, no cost maintenance. I've always liked that but I understand this decision. It's not competitive right now. BMW owns the sport sedan market, period. Time to stop hemorrhaging money.

#125 ·
I've always wondered about the actual cost to produce a car. I've Googled it on occasion, but I've never found a good source of information. So, how much does it cost to produce an F30?

#124 ·
Thats crappy. I was always on the fence of the maintenance program. Maybe if the dealer sold it slightly above cost it would be worth it. This makes the maintenance program garbage.

#141 ·
3 years is the way it has been with BMW's Mini Brand for a long while now. I needed a brake job in year 4 and had to foot the bill myself. Went aftermarket with an indie mechanic and akeebono pads and paid less than half of the dealer cost. I don't view this as a big deal. So you lose a brake job many can do themselves or have done elsewhere for much less than dealer cost. What else an oil change and wiper blades. In the grand scheme of things this is not a big deal. My 328d has a low dust ceramic pad from the factory and probably won't need a brake job within 4 years anyway.

The ones who should be complaining are the dealers. Service is where they make their money and establishing those relationships with customers over a 4 year period is vital to continued support from those customers. Lessen the time and more people will go elsewhere or selectively shop for service elsewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.