BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
59K views 510 replies 48 participants last post by  lanejones 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Infiniti steps into to the ring with BMW in this side-by-side. Infiniti brings its latest version of the Q50 to go against the almighty 3 Series. 'Infiniti cars have become significantly more contemporary and attractive in recent years. The signature front end with its dual arch grill and triangular headlamp assembly is both distinctive and aggressive without feeling forced or cartoonish like the Lexus spindle grille. The side profile presents just the right amount of rake with lines flowing from front to rear. It's an interesting combination of strong creases and smooth, contoured surfacing that feel purposeful and artistic.'It looks better than any previous Infiniti model, but is it strong enough to out shine the 3?

Infiniti Q50 Red Sport from the perspective of a BMW 3 Series owner

3 vs Q50

3 vs Q50

3 vs Q50

3 vs Q50

3 vs Q50

3 vs Q50

Check out the review of the Infiniti Q50 here!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That used to be the case, but newer Infiniti models (e.g., Q50, QX30) no longer embody that philosophy. Nissan has dumbed down many of its recently redesigned vehicles in terms of driving dynamics.

The regular, non Sport/non Red Sport Q50 is more like 90% of a Nissan Sentra at 200% of the cost.

#16 ·
To add my two cents as I previously had the Q50S: The Q50S is a decent car. Size-wise, it does really compare more to the 5 series. Hence, I could tell that it drove and handled like a bigger car than when I drove the 3 series. Interior space in the passenger cabin is roomier, but the trunk is terribly small as the spare tire took up much space. We barely had room for more than 2 pieces of luggage.

Two other major cons that I experienced with the Q50S were:
-The Direct Adaptive Steering, which you've all heard so much of already. Many of you may not like the F30's electric steering as much as BMW steering of the past, but the Q50 DAS is much worse
-The infotainment system was also terrible. Navigation graphics were from the early 2000s, just about all the audio and climate controls required going through touch-screen menus, plus the overall system was slow and crashed often. I've heard though that the system is much improved in the 2015+ models

I wouldn't rule out driving an Infiniti again, but for now I like BMW much better :thumbup:

Here are some F30 M Sport vs Q50S pics for ya! :D

photo IMG_9509.jpg

photo IMG_9511.jpg

#6 ·
most nissans/infinity don't look nice, styling is too aggressive, may be ok with nissan badge but do not look elegant with infinity logo, i am not sure F30 and Q50 is right comparison, Lexus is also looking cartoonish.

#30 ·
Drove a Lexus is350 AWD and really didn't like it - my wife wanted the test drive to end before we even left the lot. She hated the seats, nav system, and overall look/feel of the car. Said "let's go look at BMWs - again." Drove the 340xi and loved it - bought it same day. Should have the car this week!! :thumbup:

#8 ·
I like the interior of the Q50 a lot. Maybe I'm just burnt out on the F30 interior after 2 1/2 years but the Infiniti seems better integrated. It has more of a luxury look vs the sportier BMW. I find the previous G37 to be better looking. Infiniti toned down the retro look which is a shame. The Q50 has too much chrome to my taste.

#9 ·
One thing I really liked on my 2011 G37S was the power steering tilt/extension settings. And the way the seat moved back for easy exit/entry automatically. Nice touches that once you have them you really appreciate. [emoji22][emoji22]

#10 ·
And the way the seat moved back for easy exit/entry automatically. [emoji22][emoji22]
My parents Lexus does that. It's a bit sad when I saw that the first time, and my first and only thought was "Well, that's just another thing that will break in a few years".

#17 · (Edited)
delete

#18 · (Edited)
I took delivery of a new Q50 signature edition couple months ago. Terrific car. Biggest reason for choosing it over a similar priced 328 or C300 is simply a excellent 3.7L V6 330hp engine. The BMW & Benz give you a small mousy, noisy 2.0L 4 banger 240HP. No comparison. And the interior is one step above the 328. Really like the dual screen display setup as well.
And unlike most Japansese cars now, the Q50 is actually still quality built in Japan. Also the LED headlights are very nice & having them standard is unique at this price point.

Attachments

#20 ·
I took delivery of a new Q50 signature edition couple months ago. Terrific car. Biggest reason for choosing it over a similar priced 328 or C300 is simply a excellent 3.7L V6 330hp engine. The BMW & Benz give you a small mousy, noisy 2.0L 4 banger 240HP. No comparison. And the interior is one step above the 328. Really like the dual screen display setup as well.
And unlike most Japansese cars now, the Q50 is actually still quality built in Japan.
How is the fuel economy on that engine? That's always been the issue withe the Nissan NA V6.

#24 ·
The Q50 never has placed high in any professional comparisons. With that said it does look good and has a very nice interior.

#32 ·
I won't buy a car with a four either. I don't see the quietness of the infinity to necessarily be a plus. The music from the sixes in my Boxster, x3 3.5, and the new 340 are a major part of the driving experience.

#33 · (Edited)
Well the Infiniti Q50 is geared as a entry level luxury car. - engine/exhaust sound suitably aggressive but subdued. Not supposed to be a Boxster. When I want the heavy duty music, drive the 650 with the twin turbo, 4 cam/32 valve V8. My V8 4Runner sounds sweet as well. As much as I like 6 cylinders, I love V8's. No 4 bangers for me - ever.

#45 · (Edited)
Think this math is correct for 10,000 miles a year using 93 octane in Raleigh.

400 gal @ 25MPG
333 gal @ 30MPG
-----------
67 X $2.25 = $150.75 Per Year

Personally for $2.90 a week I would never even think about a 4 cylinder over a 6 cylinder even if I was one of those people who worried about gas prices.

#46 · (Edited)
Owners of these "3-series killer" cars are always comparing di..k sizes.

Sorry, still not a BMW. 3 series is the benchmark and will be for years unless one of these other luxury sports sedan substitutes maintains their prowess for decades.

Go ahead and race me, smirk at me, tell your friends how your car is really the better car, etc. Deep down, you know you wish you were driving a BMW.

/Thread

#47 · (Edited)
Owners of these "3-series killer" cars are always comparing di..k sizes.

Sorry, still not a BMW. 3 series is the benchmark and will be for years unless one of these other luxury sports sedan substitutes maintains their prowess for decades.

Go ahead and race me, smirk at me, tell your friends how your car is really the better car, etc. Deep down, you know you wish you were driving a BMW.

/Thread
Well I own a BMW 650i & a Infiniti. I think the 340i is a better car than the Q50 - but it's also $12,000 more. Sorry, don't think it's worth that much of a premium. Wife loves the Q50. I am very impressed given the pricing. Apples to apples, the Q50 wipes the floor with it's 4 banger BMW price counterpart the 328i.

#82 · (Edited)
Not replying to anyone in particular...

1. Cost of fuel in Europe is enormous. Specifically relating to Germany, drivers need a fuel efficient car that still performs well on the Autobahn system. Not sure if Infinity has a big market there.

2. I have a 340i. I love it. 6 cylinder has more pickup, awesome note, and on paper has same fuel efficiency of the 328i. When I recently had to take a loaner, I had a 428i and was reminded of the lighter weight and feel of the 4 cylinder which I really liked also. I had a 328i previously and felt like I had plenty of power when I needed it. The 340i is just more and probably wouldn't appeal to many just as an M3 wouldn't. Not worth the extra cost to many buyers. For me, it was.

3. Infinity is not BMW. It doesn't have the same heritage. It isn't designed around the Autobahn and racing heritage. It like many other cars is trying to copy the industry standard. It may appeal to some buyers, but others, not so much. I and many others don't like having "also rans" for something like a car. I want the real deal. There is no denying that when you purchase a car you are also purchasing the brand, and all that creates that brand. Infinity doesn't speak to me and probably others. This is probably one of many reasons they set their price lower. They don't have the brand equity BMW does.

#87 · (Edited)
3. Infinity is not BMW. It doesn't have the same heritage. It isn't designed around the Autobahn and racing heritage. It like many other cars is trying to copy the industry standard. It may appeal to some buyers, but others, not so much. I and many others don't like having "also rans" for something like a car. I want the real deal. There is no denying that when you purchase a car you are also purchasing the brand, and all that creates that brand. Infinity doesn't speak to me and probably others. This is probably one of many reasons they set their price lower. They don't have the brand equity BMW does.
V37 Infiniti Q50 is so far off the mark as a sport sedan that calling it an "also ran" is being charitable. The non Sport Q50 model is overpriced junk, plain and simple. Not only does it fall short of F30, it's notably worse than its V36 G37/Nissan Skyline predecessor as well. With cars like the Q50, what little brand equity Infiniti has now will only diminish.

The Red Sport variant is Infiniti's desperate attempt to imbue Q50 with some of the good driving dynamics the V36 G37 had.

#92 · (Edited)
The displacements in engines sold in European cars is not random its government created on two levels car tax & fuel expense.......
Bear, I was no talking about engine displacement but engine architecture....back in the day BMW distinguished itself in Europe for its small 6 cylinder engines compared to the vast majority of the other 2 liter units that were fours.

The reduction of the number of cylinders has one major reason...cost.

As a matter of fact, BMW 2 liter engines were 4 cylinder up to the second half of the 1970s when they introduced their highly successful small inline 6....the 3 Series E21 320 started with a 4 cylinder and in the later years got the 6.

The modern split pin 90* V6 is very smooth without balance shafts.
The vast majority of modern V6 are all 60 degrees, the only 90 degrees exceptions that come to mind are the VW/Audi V6 which I believe share the same general architecture of their corporate V8 with 2 cylinder removed (so cost reasons) and it has balance shafts, then you have the Jaguar V6 which is also based on their existing V8 with two cylinders missing and balance shafts.

The new Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio (a future competitor for the BMW M3) has a 510 HP 90 degrees twin turbocharged V6 but that engine is nothing more than a Ferrari V8 with a cylinder pair removed so other technical evaluations were made, it is a very niche vehicle. The standard Giulia will be equipped with the second generation direct injected and turbocharged Pentastar V6 engine (60 degrees)

#96 · (Edited)
Sidebar: Last summer with a 700-750 lb. load, we traveled 1200 km on the highway at 115-120kph. The mileage was 7.4 l/100 km That's 31.8 mpUSg or 38.2 mpCANg. This was in a 2015 435xi GC...I6.

I wonder what it would have been with an I4 at that load and speed? Would the I4 have been working harder? I think so...and I was not willing to take a performance hit at highway speeds. So, we opted for the 435 rather than a 428. No regrets.

#97 ·
Another pertinent question is the mileage had you been driving faster like 80 MPH which is more typical in the US or 100+ MPH like in Germany? I can tell you that if I drive a steady 70 mph I average over 35 mpg and once took a trip where I averaged closer to 65 and the average mileage was closer to 40 mpg. This is with a load of myself, my luggage and boxes of catalogs, at least 300 pounds.

#101 ·
I turned in my 2012 G37S coupe last year when I picked up my 428i Gran Coupe so I can tell you a few things about these engines. Yes, the G37 was slightly faster. It averaged 19mpg over the 3 years I had that car, which is 526 gallons per 10000 miles. If you wanted to feel the kind of torque the 428 puts out at 1500 rpm's, you really have to rev the VQ. My 428 averages 26 mpg, which is 384 gallons per 10000 miles. The difference in fuel cost per year for me is $318 or $6.13 per week at $2.25 per gallon. The main difference to me in not opting for the 435 is the initial cost though, the 435 would have easily cost an additional $100 per month to lease. The new sport seats in infiniti's are better now, but in 2012 they were not very comfortable. Much less comfortable than the seats in my 428. The trunk space in the Q50 is crap compared to the Gran Coupe, frankly the GC styling is what brought me to BMW. I love the look of a coupe but I really need the extra doors and space.

#102 ·
Those sport seats KILLED my sciatica (cue Frank Costanza here) on the right side after 2 hours on the road - thought it was tendinitis for quite a while as I'm a runner. Not a hint of an issue with the BMW sport seats thank God.

#111 ·
Funny how so many people here talk about interiors and looks and colors and so on and so forth. If you have a bmw then you bought it for speed and it's power. Personally if I'm buying a car for looks then may be a different make but I got an 08 535i and this machine blows out all your luxury Japanese cars. I think some people buy beemers for looks an show off. I bought mine for its power. None like it with these twin turbos and some enhancements [emoji3]

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

#118 · (Edited)
Your reasons for buying your car are irrelevant to a ton of people you don't know and their reasons for buying a car. There are several far less expensive cars on the market with more power and better handling than your 8 year old 5 series that prob cost about half. If you are only looking for power, why you choose BMW is beyond me. Your post is a contradiction because if you werent concerned with looks or badge and only power, you could have done much better than your car.

#127 ·
Personally I find infimiti interiors to look dated. Yes the q50 has a few nice touches but overall it looks like a last gen product. I also can't figure out why they can't seem to package a decent trunk.

If be tempted if I could score one for a 300/month 0 down lease but the base models lack some basic premium features (like leather). I actually find a stripper 320 more appealing at that point although a base GTi would be my choice above both of them.

On top of that their option packages are idiotic. You are pretty much forced into getting DAS if you want any tech options.

#128 · (Edited)
If be tempted if I could score one for a 300/month 0 down lease but the base models lack some basic premium features (like leather). I actually find a stripper 320 more appealing at that point although a base GTi would be my choice above both of them.
You cannot compare a Q50 or a F30 to a GTI....never understand why some people have such high consideration for it...it is a cheap FWD econobox and it shows after less than a mile of driving it and if you care to look under the skin deep few soft plastic pieces....

Drove the GTI quite few times when cross shopping for my stepson new ride....not impressed at all...even my stepson could not figure out what was all the fuss about it....

I would pick a 320i over a GTI every day of the week and twice on Sunday...

.....and if we talk about dated looking interiors, just a glance to the GTI cabin makes me think that the 1980s are back....

#136 ·
I like the g37 a lot if fact when I go down to Florida to visit my parents I always have the keys to the g37. The main weakness was the engine. If was inefficient and unrefined. The q50 was a massive disappointment.
1. The q50driving experience was pretty sterile it was basically a blah car.
2. The interior styling was pretty generic it reminded me of the last generation Hyundai Sonata.
3. The dual screen infotainment system is absolutely dumb

According to consumer reports the Q50 is the least reliable vehicle in its class and has the lowest customer satisfaction scores. The infotainment system has a high failure rate.

#137 ·
3. The dual screen infotainment system is absolutely dumb
Actually the dual screen is one of my favorite features....you can work on your media/communication/music apps while still keeping the navigation screen...it's brilliant and it looks better than the giant panoramic screens that are lately becoming common.

Infotainment system slow boot time and general sluggishness have been mainly resolved with 2 service recalls.

Engine is significantly improved compared to the G37...and even the G37 was far from being "unrefined".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.