BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

After 3 BMW's within 3 Years, I am Done.

39K views 612 replies 65 participants last post by  M40i4me 
#1 ·
No, this thread is not to incite a riot, it is merely to relate one former customer's unfortunate experience now that I can talk freely about it.

Two of the three were brand spanking new 3 series.

First was an '09 750... Not even a week of ownership, in for the "customer care" recall, but not really a recall, fine.

Within a month after that, valve tap and severe oil consumption, but shockingly, still within tolerance. Brought it back to the dealer, made a deal on a brand new 320.

Within less than a year of ownership, multiple issues, finally, after far more than 30 days in the shop, I was going to "lemon" it. It required a new engine. BMW steps in, and does a great trade assist for a brand new, extremely well equipped LCI '16 328i.

Within three months, a very obvious rattle surfaces. Back to dealer... This time, they fix it promptly, as it was relatively easy to determine the source.

A few months after that, loud buzzing behind that dash at highway speeds, AND when stopped in park, tranny started to feel inconsistent, a somewhat of a low level rumble/grind that was changing in pitch.

At that point, I had simply had enough of the drama. Enough of scheduling service visits, enough loaners, and traded out of it.

I've ready plenty were folks are like, "Well, they DO rattle, just the way they are, etc., etc.". Well, if it WAS ONLY that, fine. ...but it's my repeated time and effort also.

I just can't believe two brand new BMW's, one with a MSRP of 50K, and I still didn't end up with a relatively care-free car. I just think BMW is skimping too much on the 3 series. Maybe I just had bad luck, but after two, I don't think I'll be going back for a while.

I truly hope no one has to go through what I did.

Cheers...

See less See more
#484 ·
Although I am not a big fan of the N20 sound. Unlike most turbo 4's the N20 gas mileage is on par with the EPA figures.

#488 ·
No, this thread is not to incite a riot, it is merely to relate one former customer's unfortunate experience now that I can talk freely about it.

Two of the three were brand spanking new 3 series.

First was an '09 750... Not even a week of ownership, in for the "customer care" recall, but not really a recall, fine.

Within a month after that, valve tap and severe oil consumption, but shockingly, still within tolerance. Brought it back to the dealer, made a deal on a brand new 320.

Within less than a year of ownership, multiple issues, finally, after far more than 30 days in the shop, I was going to "lemon" it. It required a new engine. BMW steps in, and does a great trade assist for a brand new, extremely well equipped LCI '16 328i.

Within three months, a very obvious rattle surfaces. Back to dealer... This time, they fix it promptly, as it was relatively easy to determine the source.

A few months after that, loud buzzing behind that dash at highway speeds, AND when stopped in park, tranny started to feel inconsistent, a somewhat of a low level rumble/grind that was changing in pitch.

At that point, I had simply had enough of the drama. Enough of scheduling service visits, enough loaners, and traded out of it.

I've ready plenty were folks are like, "Well, they DO rattle, just the way they are, etc., etc.". Well, if it WAS ONLY that, fine. ...but it's my repeated time and effort also.

I just can't believe two brand new BMW's, one with a MSRP of 50K, and I still didn't end up with a relatively care-free car. I just think BMW is skimping too much on the 3 series. Maybe I just had bad luck, but after two, I don't think I'll be going back for a while.

I truly hope no one has to go through what I did.

Cheers...
The 7 series has always been unreliable and the '09 was one of the worst examples. The 320 is underpowered but should of given you Toyota like reliability with its low output engine. Your experience with the 328i is surprising. I'm not a fan of the F80 but BMW has moved up to the #7 spot on the JD Powers reliability chart. I presumed the 3 series of all cars would of been the reason for this increase. After your nightmare I would run from BMW as well. Luckily my two BMWs (E90) have been trouble free besides a couple of ignition coils on both around 50,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#490 · (Edited)
...as a side note, I never understood why anyone would choose the marginally better gas mileage of a V6; 2-3mpg is soooo inconsequential, unless you drive a billion miles a year.

What came out of all this, is I never expected an American truck to come anywhere near the luxuries offered by BMW. No doubt the BMW is seductive on it's overall drive, I still believe it IS the ultimate driving machine. However, I rarely made good use of such. It's very hard to fully enjoy a car as such outside a track environment. So, if that isn't super-important, then there are far better values to be had, but I personally, never expected it to be a truck.

I just wish BMW would, literally, tighten up the rattles and noises. It's an incredible bummer to spend close to 50K on something awesome and have these stupid issues. TWICE! :rofl:

Oh, I forgot to mention, I did have one other noise issue with the 328 that bummed me out so much, I simply adjusted it to go away: I like to adjust my seats such that the front is high, and the rear low, for, essentially, thigh support. After about two months, I started to hear a muffled "clack.... clack clack...." as I went around turns. Drove me absolutely NUTS. Turns out, having the seat adjusted like this, at the "extreme" setting, caused a metal part that connected the seat to the rail to make noise due to it being fully extended. I could stand outside the car, grab the seat, and in the millimeter or so of it's play motion, could replicate the sound on demand.

At that point, I was ALREADY tired of service appointments, so I just lowered the seat a bit and it went away. Really, REALLY, should have to do that on a 50K car...

#491 ·
The 3 series is a 3400 pound luxury car with tires and brakes that are certainly not designed for any sort of track use. The 3 series in factory form is meant to be enjoyed on the street, not the track. It's like a 3500 pound car! I can't believe this thread is still going. You honestly have no idea what you're talking about and your logic/reasoning for going from a BMW to a dodge makes absolutely no sense.

Can we just all stop this thread already?

#493 ·
The 3 series is a 3400 pound luxury car with tires and brakes that are certainly not designed for any sort of track use. The 3 series in factory form is meant to be enjoyed on the street, not the track. It's like a 3500 pound car! I can't believe this thread is still going. You honestly have no idea what you're talking about and your logic/reasoning for going from a BMW to a dodge makes absolutely no sense.

Can we just all stop this thread already?
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

#497 · (Edited)
"Franz Kafka[a] (3 July 1883*- 3 June 1924) was a Prague German-language novelist and short story writer, widely regarded as one of the idiotic figures of 20th-century literature. His work, which fuses elements of realism and the fantastic,[3] typically features isolated protagonists faced by bizarre or surrealistic predicaments and incomprehensible social-bureaucratic powers, and has been interpreted as exploring themes of alienation, existential anxiety, guilt, and absurdity.[4]"

#499 ·
The reason why ops car creaked and rattled like a piece of **** is because he is using the worst example of BMW's, literally their two worst engines in **** shape to generalize their overall quality as a whole. 2012 was the start of cost cutting for BMW and the f30's took a hit. My early model 5 series is tight as a drum at 75k just like the previous generation 3 series, and just about every other BMW on the road.

This has to be the fourth time I have said this while OP keeps babbling on about how his 5.7L v8 truck Is so impressive because it's about as fast as a 2.5L Mazda 6 iand that the 328i is "only"1.2seconds to 60 faster, that a 3500lb luxury 60k car is only meant for the track. There's literally s*it spewing out of your mouth like when will you stop seriously. This thread needs to stop.

#500 ·
/End Thread

#503 ·
Oh I see. Well, one would hope that is the case for a $60000 car...

This is from a thread about rattles in 2009-2010 M3's. What are those, $80k when they are new?

"HAHA, I love these threads. I love EVERYTHING about my car, except it RATTLED like a 15 year old car. The front tach and idrive, the top vent above the idrive, the rear shelf vent, the rear side speaker behind my right ear...oh wait, there's more. The seat creaks at any momentum change, and the C-pillars creaked over uneven dips like cheap plastic, and the middle brake light seemed to make a ton of noise. Most of the rear noises are heat expansion related, where the plastic rubs. Everything is fixed, not by the dealer, but by myself, with some padded tape and electrical tape. The side windows of course make some shifting noise over uneven pavement, but this is inherent to the car. My 335 coupe I traded in had none of these issues except for the window, which drove me nuts and was incentive to trade in for the M. My car only had 3 miles on it and sat on the showroom floor the whole time at the dealer, so nobody drove it. I finally after 22K miles am enjoying the car noise free, except for a little noise left with creaking over dips. Ok, there it is. Car drives great though!"

From here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402612

This took me 2 seconds to find. Endless threads with guys complaining about rattles in their expensive German luxury cars.

You're living in a dreamworld pal.

#505 ·
Why do so many threads end up like this? Must be the unusually high percentage of type A's who buy BMW's!!! lol

Hey, this is new ground though, just think about it: 3 series vs. RAM truck! It's more fun to compare two vehicles that literally have almost nothing in common other than 4 wheels!

#511 ·
The real question is why a RAM? Why not a F150, Tundra, or Silverado? Better yet why not an X5. I tow quite a bit in my X5 and it doesn't rattle one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

#512 ·
The real question is why a RAM? Why not a F150, Tundra, or Silverado? Better yet why not an X5. I tow quite a bit in my X5 and it doesn't rattle one bit.

I would take a Tundra all day every day over an effing Dodge. Rock solid reliability, rugged as hell, Toyota Racing Development bro! The tundra has an absurdly good sounding exhaust. I

#513 ·
Why is everyone bashing RAMs?
I know next to nothing about pick up trucks, but for whatever reason i always had an impression that RAMs do not share crappy reliability that Dodges are known for. I recall reading somewhere it was one of the reasons why Chrysler / Dodge separated RAM into it's own brand.
Is that incorrect?

#535 ·
I just don't understand how someone goes from a sport sedan to a massive truck... Just such a different driving experience. I have no desire to have a car like that as a daily driver. As a 2nd vehicle for utility, off roading, sure but to drive every day? Snoooozefest

#536 ·
I'm somewhat one of those people. I used to drive cars and wondered how anyone would prefer a larger vehicle. Then I drove my first X5 and immediately fell in love. So much so I found myself driving it more than my sedan. Ultimately I consolidated into a single X5 which I had for several years. While I have returned to two vehicles (X5 and Outback) I still love the SUV.

Different strokes.

#541 ·
I came from a F150 to my BMW, sold the truck when I sold my boat but it was my DD. The ecoboost engine is sweet and personally I found the Fords to be very comfortable and a great DD. Certainly not as dynamic or fun to drive as my BMW, but it's a truck! the twin turbo ecoboost will pull much more like a diesel and is a much better engine IMO than the dodge. Loved my F150, except over about 100MPH it got real scary real fast...lol. It's not all about sporty cars.

#547 ·
Sorry but that's just stupid. It certainly is a truck. It's not a POS Beater truck, but let's get real. F150 is the biggest selling truck of all time. And yes there are many (like myself) that if we find the need for a truck we want it to be nice. As that market is one of the fastest growing I'd say your definition is the one that is out of whack...

#549 ·
This is like watching a car accident unfold in slow motion...

We get it. You like your used RAM or whatever Dodge is calling it this week. To compare it to a 7 in terms of comfort, fit and finish, quality or materials... you're either delusional or have not touched a single interior surface in your truck, including the seats.

Enjoy your truck but don't feel obliged to justify your decision to trade in your problematic 4 cylinder 3er for one of these abominations for a daily driver.

#550 ·
Enjoy your truck but don't feel obliged to justify your decision to trade in your problematic 4 cylinder 3er for one of these abominations for a daily driver.
cracked1's actual "abominations for a daily driver" would be his former F01/F02 750i followed by two former F30s.

#587 ·
I must say, thats pretty nice

End of the day I am just giving you **** man. My sister-in-law's ex in Vegas has a 2015 Ford F150 with the V-8 and frankly the interior appointments and quality kind of blows away my BMW. When they were still together every time we used to go to Vegas me and that dude would go do something in the truck like go shooting or take ATVs out or something and that truck is badass. has a better stereo ventilated cooled and heated seats, The seats and leather are really comfortable, The fit and finish is impeccable and The exhaust note from the V8 is ridiculous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.