X3 vs. GLC - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)

X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
The second generation X3 added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 12-20-2015, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 525
X3 vs. GLC

Hi Guys, I have been debating btw the two vehicles for a couple weeks now. It seems like at this time we can get quite deep discount on a well equipped 28i X3. (Got quotes from a few local dealers and they offer $7500 off $50K MSRP on a 28i) But I really wonder if I should shoot for the MB GLC as it is arriving dealers at large numbers now and should come down in price in a couple months.

First of all, unlike a lot of enthusiasts here, I am not a spirited driver and I care for quiet comfortable ride a bit more. the GLC definitely has an edge on that aspect. The interior is far ahead of X3 and Q5. But here are a few things I like/dislike of X3 and GLC:

X3 Likes:
1. deep discount
2. higher driving position
3. Steering and I4 power
4. Nav is easy to use

X3 dislikes:
1. Cheap plasticky dash and center stack that squeaks
2. it is also hard to find one w x-line, and X-line is expensive, Two colors that i like are gone: Vermillion red, Sparkle bronze
3. Can not close lift gate from remote
4. Seats are on the hard side

GLC likes:
1. fit and finish, solid feel
2. Quiet at highway speed
3. MB auto start-stop works way bette than BMW

GLC dislikes:
1. The dash, belt line both seem to be high relative to the seat. Feel like I am sitting in a tub.
2. Almost impossible to find one with lighting package unless ordering

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by hclll; 12-20-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2015, 03:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F15 X5 and G01 X3
The GLC is mostly a front wheel drive (not full-time AWD) vehicle. Has an unusual dash, and poor rear-right vision (may have to use their LCA electronics or luck when switching lanes). Took it off the list quite quickly. The dealer is nice and said we can take the GLC home for the day or two for a longer test drive to see if we'll warm up to it.
The RR Evoque is equivalent in shape with the GLC and we actually have less objections with this one.
Just buy the X3 man...
Old 12-21-2015, 03:14 AM

Mein Auto: F15 X5 and G01 X3

Last edited by xx; 12-21-2015 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2015, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
You are comparing two ends of the spectrum, the GLC is a brand new design while the X3 is at the end of the design cycle. By the way, here in the Northeast, the GLC is selling at around invoice much like the X3. Like I always tell people in this forum, if you are not into spirited driving and prioritize comfort and quietness, the X3 is not for you. The X3 does ride pretty rough and it is no more quieter on the highway than a Honda CRV. However, the X3 is a solid SUV despite of all the plasticky dash and center stack that squeaks We just test drove the GLC over the weekend, it is definitely geared more toward luxury than sport, the ride is exceptionally comfortable compare to the X3 and it is also quieter than the X3. Almost every button, lever or knob on the GLC feels better than the one on the X3. I dislike the GLC's pop up navi screen and dash, but overall, it is a very nice SUV and well build. Mercedes is really starting to make very nice cars these days, BMW really need to step it up.

Last edited by The X Men; 12-21-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: X3, X1
Have you looked at a GLA by any chance as a means of comparison? Also, a harsh ride can at least be partly due to the choice of tires. The difference in warranty is also a factor to take under consideration. Note also that a new X3 update is supposed to be released for 2017 model year.

Last edited by TK-BMW; 12-21-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
Have you looked at a GLA by any chance as a means of comparison? Also, a harsh ride can at least be partly due to the choice of tires. The difference in warranty is also a factor to take under consideration. Note also that a new X3 update is supposed to be released for 2017 model year.
The 5 and 7 series as well as the X5 all have runflats and they ride smoother than the X3. Both the GLA and the X3 have the same factory 4 years 50000 miles warranty.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 X3 xDrive35i
The Dynamic Handling Package does great things for the X3 ride. More comfortable comfort mode and sportier but still comfortable sport mode.

The GLC is RWD based, by the way. And I think they include their equivalent of Dynamic Handling Package on most of the US models of the GLC.

I love my X3 but am hoping BMW steps up its interior game on the G01 or I may have to look elsewhere when my lease is up.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:15 PM

The GLA has a 4WD option, which makes it more attractive in some ways than the GLC (and le4ss expensive) Hopefully the 2017 X3 will incorporate more improvements. Honestly, with new Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT tires I find the X3 ride fine -- a good compromise between a street vehicle and a pickup! The X3 won me over because I wanted at least 6' of stretch room between the hatch and the front seats and the GLA wasn't long enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaslDasl View Post
The Dynamic Handling Package does great things for the X3 ride. More comfortable comfort mode and sportier but still comfortable sport mode.

The GLC is RWD based, by the way. And I think they include their equivalent of Dynamic Handling Package on most of the US models of the GLC.

I love my X3 but am hoping BMW steps up its interior game on the G01 or I may have to look elsewhere when my lease is up.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 x35i M Sport
This is a law in the USA but it can be easily coded...
Try the M-sport seats. They will also soften up with time. I have a '14 and find the seats are super comfy (M-sport though)
Old 12-21-2015, 09:27 PM

The stock leather seats are a bit on the hard side and they don't soften up much with time. Better than sitting on something too soft, though, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhshockey24 View Post
Try the M-sport seats. They will also soften up with time. I have a '14 and find the seats are super comfy (M-sport though)
Old 12-22-2015, 05:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
Agree with all your comments below. I would also add that I think the GLC seats are more comfortable, even more comfortable than the M Sport seats. I hope that the next X3 adds the option of comfort seats.

You can also get an air suspension with the GLC and ventilated seats, which are two pluses for us. I wish Mercedes had a diesel model, but that is supposed to come next year.

I like the X3 and GLC, but we ordered a new GLC with about every option. This is my wife's car and she prefers Mercedes, but I prefer BMW's Should be here next month. We had ordered a X3 diesel back in Aug, but it took forever to get built and ended up canceling it when the GLC came out. Looking forward to the redesigned X3 though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
You are comparing two ends of the spectrum, the GLC is a brand new design while the X3 is at the end of the design cycle. By the way, here in the Northeast, the GLC is selling at around invoice much like the X3. Like I always tell people in this forum, if you are not into spirited driving and prioritize comfort and quietness, the X3 is not for you. The X3 does ride pretty rough and it is no more quieter on the highway than a Honda CRV. However, the X3 is a solid SUV despite of all the plasticky dash and center stack that squeaks We just test drove the GLC over the weekend, it is definitely geared more toward luxury than sport, the ride is exceptionally comfortable compare to the X3 and it is also quieter than the X3. Almost every button, lever or knob on the GLC feels better than the one on the X3. I dislike the GLC's pop up navi screen and dash, but overall, it is a very nice SUV and well build. Mercedes is really starting to make very nice cars these days, BMW really need to step it up.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
The GLA has a 4WD option, which makes it more attractive in some ways than the GLC.
Lots of misinformation on this thread, the GLC also have the 4matic option as well as airmatic option which takes the ride comfort and handling to another level compare to the X3.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:49 PM

I asked around MB dealers in NoCal and it seems nobody has any GLC with lighting package. What a disappointment.

Another strange thing is that most of NoCal GLC inventory is 4WD, while most of SoCal inventory is RWD...#$($#&^%^$%^!!

I am thinking if I should stick to X3.....
Old 12-22-2015, 03:52 PM

Is the GLA too much of a step down to consider (seriously)? The lighting option in the X3 is quite nice, I must admit.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:04 PM

GLA doesn't have that much higher driving position, plus the harsh ride and awkward look...
Old 12-22-2015, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
I think the GLC is much nicer than the GLA, but that is just my opinion. We ordered the lighting package on our GLC. Looks like it is coming around the 2nd week of Jan.

I still like BMW's Angel Eyes the best our of any car.

Quote:
Is the GLA too much of a step down to consider (seriously)? The lighting option in the X3 is quite nice, I must admit.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV View Post
I think the GLC is much nicer than the GLA, but that is just my opinion. We ordered the lighting package on our GLC. Looks like it is coming around the 2nd week of Jan.

I still like BMW's Angel Eyes the best our of any car.

DBV, would you mind sharing the numbers on your GLC order?
Old 12-22-2015, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xDrive28d
I don't really enjoy car shopping. So many things, in my case, had to come together for me to finally make the purchase. I was doing occasional test drives for over 3 years. As far back as the 2011 X3 before I bought the 2015 X3

And several other cars. Though they topped out with an Infiniti and the BMW.

Important enough that you get the car that you won't have buyers remorse. Sometimes, you think something won't bother you. But if it gets on your nerves, you may grow to hate it later.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:42 PM

Mein Auto: X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhshockey24 View Post
Can't even close the lift gate from the button inside the car. I know these are all codable, but come on now..
Old 12-22-2015, 11:46 PM

Yes, just the button on the lift gate, itself, works to close it. I guess they are afraid one might decapitate someone if not standing outside right next to the lift gate to monitor it...
Old 12-23-2015, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 X3 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriv3 View Post
Can't even close the lift gate from the button inside the car. I know these are all codable, but come on now..

On the LCI (2015+, hatch button on the door) you close it by pulling up and holding the switch while it closes.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 X3 x35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaslDasl View Post
On the LCI (2015+, hatch button on the door) you close it by pulling up and holding the switch while it closes.
Correct, that is how it works on my 2016. It will beep during closing but you can do it from the drivers seat long as you hold the switch up until it closes.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 Audi A4 3.0
I ordered a GLC several months ago for a January delivery. It had virtually ALL the options except their auto-parking feature. About 6 weeks ago, they had a GLC in the showroom for sales training and 10 feet away was an X3 for physical comparison. So I hustled down to the dealer and compared the two side by side. And cancelled my GLC order.

The GLC looks to be a great car with a lot of modern features and the seat is excellent except for one thing - it doesn't fit me well. The seat is the same as the seat in the C-Class. When I drove a C-Class for an extended period before ordering the GLC, I found that there was a strange lump between my shoulder blades. It caused my back to lock up for some reason. When I sat in the GLC at the dealer, it had the same lump. Since I'm short, it may just be that the seat did not fit me well. Whatever the reason, I have a very bad back and an acceptably comfortable seat is my first criteria. So I gave the GLC a thumbs-down and ordered an X3.

I wish my X3 had a better, more updated interior. And while many people don't the GLC's display sticking out of the dashboard, it has a lot more usable screen real estate than the X3. OTOH, the X3's dashboard controls work pretty well.

Both have their pluses and minuses. For me, the balance is better in the X3.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 Maserati Levante
Looked at GLC extensively last week
My wife has 2013 X3 3.5M and was thinking about replacement
Loved interior in GLC, but not exterior, IMO GLK/ my wife had it before X3/ had more " brutal" look.
Seats are much more comfi in MB, even compare to sport seats in X3
Decided to wait for 2017 X3 update with hope for improved interior, better comfort seats/ my 2014 X5 50 M has the best seats/ and ????? air suspension
Alex
2010-2012 GLK 350/wife/
2008-2011-328XI
2004-2007-CLK55
2007-2010-X3 3.0
2001-2004-A8 4.2
2004-2007 X5 3.0/E53/
1999-2001-SL500
1996-1999-ML320 4MATIC
1992-1995-VOLVO 850 TURBO
1990-1992-525I
1987-1990-OLDSMOBILE CS
1981-1987-LADA/VAZ 2103
Old 12-28-2015, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 X3 xDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Had my X3 in for first scheduled service and got a loaner back. I have standard 18" RFTs on my X3....not low profile. The loaner car had the low profile tires. I definitely prefer the ride on my car. I can't say it's going to rival the GLC or cars of that ilk in ride confort but there is a significant difference in ride quality when going with the standard vs. performance tires. Not that this is surprising but the RFTs make things worse v. conventional tires.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search