Considering X3. Which is better 28i or 35i? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)

X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
The second generation X3 added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 06-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 & X3
I bought a 28i last a few months ago. I was expecting the performance of the 4 cylinder engine to be equal to that of my 2011 28i X3 with the 6 cylinder engine. It is not equal and, IMO, it is a pig. Performance sucks and it even lugs when starting out from a stop. Sport mode helps considerably but it is still not what I expected based on my 2011. Even though it does "get the job done", I have to question why one would buy a $60K BMW for the performance equal to that of an economy Kia. I did notice, too late, the cost of a 35, with an equal compliment of options, would have been only incrementally more. Doing due diligence homework is so important and I obviously failed there because I made the wrong assumptions that performance would be at least equal to my 2011 and there was therefore no justification for the large increased cost of the 35. If you are planning to get a lot of option packages certainly look at the 35 as many of the 28 packages are already included in the base 35. The 4 cylinder engine even sounds anemic. This is the first BMW I owned, starting with a new 1988 E30 M3, that I just do not like and it is all because of the 4 cylinder engine and its poor performance.

Last edited by RhoXS; 06-04-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2016, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 2.8, 2013 MB E350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
I bought a 28i last a few months ago. I was expecting the performance of the 4 cylinder engine to be equal to that of my 2011 28i X3 with the 6 cylinder engine. It is not equal and, IMO, it is a pig. Performance sucks and it even lugs when starting out from a stop. Sport mode helps considerably but it is still not what I expected based on my 2011. Even though it does "get the job done", I have to question why one would buy a $60K BMW for the performance equal to that of an economy Kia. I did notice, too late, the cost of a 35, with an equal compliment of options, would have been only incrementally more. Doing due diligence homework is so important and I obviously failed there because I made the wrong assumptions that performance would be at least equal to my 2011 and there was therefore no justification for the large increased cost of the 35. If you are planning to get a lot of option packages certainly look at the 35 as many of the 28 packages are already included in the base 35. The 4 cylinder engine even sounds anemic. This is the first BMW I owned, starting with a new 1988 E30 M3, that I just do not like and it is all because of the 4 cylinder engine and its poor performance.
Even CR says the turbo 4 is somewhat unrefined.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: X3, X1
This thread is just plan silly. Manufacturers have offered different engine options on the same vehicle for ages because of different desires among customers. A bigger, more expensive engine with higher specs is obviously going to be "better". Whether it's affordable or better-suited to the individual driving it is another matter. Give it all a rest. This is getting really boring and still sprinkled with what I perceive to be some elitist attitudes.

Current:
2014 X3 and X1 xDrive 28i
Previous:
2013 X3 xDrive 28i
Subaru Outback sport, Saab 99 and 99 Turbo, Volvo 264, Honda CRX, Jaguar E-Type drophead coupe and Mk II sedan

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search