HELP!!! BMW Z3M H&R anti roll bars - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z3M
HELP!!! BMW Z3M H&R anti roll bars

Hi,

Need some help with fitting instructions.

Bought a H&R anti roll bar kit for my Z3MR, but on installation I realised that the AFT anti roll bar has different fittings on the ends ( with holes x2 and flat ) instead of the original, what is not flat, without holes. I know I am silly, I should check before.....
I am pretty sure that these roll bar is good for the car, but no instructions attached how to fit it.

Any of you has the same H&R roll bars installed? Looks to me it needs some mods to fit them.

This what I have here: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2285.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	835655

I really need some fitting instructions of this.

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 07:29 AM
Joe

Mein Auto: 98 2.8 Roadster
I had the same problem on my 98 Z3 2.8 with the H&R rear bar ends. there are many pre-made adjustable length end links, but they were all too long. I decided to make my own with parts from McMaster Carr www.mcmaster.com These bars really improve handling especially at the front with the steering.

Here are the part numbers:

Ball Joint Rod End Seals for 10 mm Rod End ID 4 pairs
#4737T14

High-Load Ball Joint Rod End
Nylon/PTFE Insert, M10 x 1.5mm Thread, Right Hand 2
#4483T33

High-Load Ball Joint Rod End
Nylon/PTFE Insert, M10 x 1.5mm Internal Thread, Right-Hand 2
#4483T43

Black-Oxide Steel Oversized Washer Pack of 10
for M10 Screw Size, 10.5 mm ID, 19 mm OD
#98035A106

2 M10 x 1.5 jamb nuts (sourced locally)

You do have to cut off some of the threaded ends of both the male and female parts to get the desired length.

Some additional info.

1. If you are using the H&R bars you should weld in the reinforcement plates to handle the extra forces. These are available from Turner Motorsports.
2. When you install these and set them up, there should be at least one side that has an adjustable sway bar link so the bar is in a neutral position when installed. If you make these end linds, the rear is all set, but you have to make or buy one link for the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4672.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	835679  

Last edited by jmai; 01-12-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z3M
Hi, do u think it works on an M roadster as well? As far As I know the rear axle is different on the M series than on the rest of the Z models. Although I am not sure about the anti roll bar mounts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2019, 10:39 AM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
One thing to note is that the body mounts for the rear anti roll bar only have two spot welds each holding them on. The larger bars put more stress on them and will likely pull them off (ask me how I know). You may want to do something to strengthen the attachment points for these.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:27 PM
Joe

Mein Auto: 98 2.8 Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasznaia View Post
Hi, do u think it works on an M roadster as well? As far As I know the rear axle is different on the M series than on the rest of the Z models. Although I am not sure about the anti roll bar mounts.

Look at realoem.com to see how the rear sway bar is attached on an M. I believe it uses the same "U" shaped bracket that attaches to the trailing arm.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: X5M, Z3M
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmai View Post
Thanks for the parts...I really need to do this for H&R bar I have in the rear. What endlinks are you guys using for the front?

So from my understanding it's best to adjust the links so the bar is parallel to the ground. Then adjust one side so there's no pre-load. Is this correct?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search