Lost key and Fo - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto:
Lost key and Fo

Lost the car key and fob - any suggestions where can I get a cheaper replacement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2019, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X1 Xdrive E84
i have pretty low ded with my insurance. i just got OEM at the dealer, might wanted to check your insurance
Old 05-27-2019, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: X1 2.0L xdrive
Google "bmw locksmith" in your city. Call a few places. If you have a comfort access key or key that you don't put in an ignition, wireless or whatever, a lot of places won't be able to copy those.

Do not buy a "blank" on ebay or amazon and try to get it programmed somewhere. Those are just Chinese knockoffs that might work in china but not anywhere else. The only blanks that work are ones that have been purchased from a dealership here. I was in the same situation are read countless posts of people who thought they could buy a cheap blank online only to show up to have it programmed and then charged the maximum price for the real key and programming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2019, 09:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritu.bsws View Post
Lost the car key and fob - any suggestions where can I get a cheaper replacement?
You don't have any info in your post that gives a location...and at the time of this reply...you've not posted back with any response...so I'm not sure if you're a "post-then-ghost" or if you're going to engage the forum after they've made suggestions or recommendations.

But one thing you should know (if you don't already)...the BMW remotes are not a "one-trick-pony" trinket. There's multiple things going on with the remote and it is operating multiple systems in the car. There is the immobilizing system, the central locking system, and the anti-theft alarm siren system. They are all independent systems that do work in conjunction or sometimes tandem with each other.

So getting a replacement remote OUTSIDE of going to your local BMW dealership and ordering one based on your VIN...you need to make sure you know exactly what is required as well as being able to question the person offering their service to make a new key as well as those selling "blank" remotes so that you don't end up spending money on or for something that is going to end up not working.

An f10 5 series owners just went through this and posted their experience going outside of the BMW dealership. Read their follow up post in the quote below to see what all they went through going outside the system:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconosms1 View Post
I finally got around to dealing with a lost keyfob. The painful part is I lost it at home. This is kind of a layman's tale.

I had read lots of posts regarding keyfob replacement and after some pain, finally got one made at a cost of $250 dollars - cash.

I reached out to three locksmiths. Two in my area (Poconos), and one in Trenton NJ.

The first guy after saying he could do it, could not find a key

Second guy(Trenton NJ) told me he could program the key, but I would have to purchase the key off the internet, which I did. He showed up and failed. Told me the car was encrypted.

The last guy refused to code my internet key, but would sell me one of his own, which are brand new - never been programmed key. The internet key was used and had been flashed. He indicated he had a 50/50 success rate with flashed keyfobs and decided it was not worth his time. So, I send the keyfob back.

I finally met up with the guy yesterday. He came to the house, took the module out from under the steering wheel, with my permission, and took it back to his shop. He was doing three BMWs that day. He uses software that effectively copy and pastes the encryption codes, so the encryption is a non issue. There are 10 storage slots on the module and he stored his information in the 8th slot as the dealers generally fill them in order.

In my discussion with him, he pretty much ends up working on VWs, Mercerdes, BMWs, and Coopers. He said BMWs are a pain because they change the encryption every year.

He sent me a file with the information for the keyfob, so if I ever lose one again, he can program and cut the key at his shop so it won't cost as much.

In the end I think this is the proper procedure for 2012 and newer. (I have the 2013)

1. Call around and ask the locksmith - can they do encrypted BMWs? How do they do it? If they say they plug into your obdII port, then move on. You need one that says they need to take the control module out and copy the encryption into the new keyfob and then, in my case, finish programming it using the greyed out key sensor on the side of the steering column.
2. He should ask for the fcc number on the keyfob I sent him a picture
3. Find out where he get's his keyfobs is it new or flashed.
4. Request a backup of the encryption file and store that in a safe.

If you have AAA, you might be able to get it cheaper or partial reimbursement or check with your insurance company to see if it's covered.

If you're in the Poconos I used CAR KEY XPRESS 570-269-8529.

He probably won't travel as he pretty much has cornered the market here.

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 06-04-2019 at 09:43 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search