N63 engine recall - Page 82 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2026  
Old 04-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Mulchman's Avatar
Mulchman Mulchman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Valley Forge, PA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 705
Mein Auto: '07 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm42 View Post
yes there is a core charge
Yep motor is around $3000 and so is the core charge $3000
__________________
'14 X6 i50 - Deep Sea Blue Matallic
'07 650i Coupe - Black Sapphire Metallic
'11 328i Sedan - Alpine White

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2027  
Old 04-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Pookie7 Pookie7 is offline
Registered User
Location: United States
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 08 328i
So my car barely passed the consumption test, after reviewing some sort of checklist they got approval to replace the valve seals. I guess that's good news, the bad news is they said theres minor oil leaks from oil pan and real main seal?


Do they drop the engine to the valve stems?? What other gaskets gets removed to get to the valve stem seals?

I assume if they remove something that has a gasket on to do a repair they will put a fresh gasket or seal when putting it back
Reply With Quote
  #2028  
Old 04-13-2019, 04:52 AM
veery veery is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Danby NY
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,281
Mein Auto: 2011 328xi; 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie7 View Post
So my car barely passed the consumption test, after reviewing some sort of checklist they got approval to replace the valve seals. I guess that's good news, the bad news is they said theres minor oil leaks from oil pan and real main seal?


Do they drop the engine to the valve stems?? What other gaskets gets removed to get to the valve stem seals?

I assume if they remove something that has a gasket on to do a repair they will put a fresh gasket or seal when putting it back
With the proper tool, they will pull the valve covers and change out the seals from the top.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2029  
Old 04-17-2019, 04:31 PM
TXSTYLE's Avatar
TXSTYLE TXSTYLE is offline
The Entertainment Guru
Location: The GYM! (Plano,TX)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 10,936
Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Hey guys. Is there a link where a BMW VIN can be entered to check on eligibility for the N63 CCP? I have a buddy interested in a 2012 F01 But he wants to see if the work has been performed or eligible if not.
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/YdmhJBM.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #2030  
Old 04-18-2019, 04:47 PM
Pookie7 Pookie7 is offline
Registered User
Location: United States
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 08 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Hey guys. Is there a link where a BMW VIN can be entered to check on eligibility for the N63 CCP? I have a buddy interested in a 2012 F01 But he wants to see if the work has been performed or eligible if not.
You can call a dealership and provide the last 8 digits of your Vin and they should be able to tell you.

I just picked mine up from the dealer they replaced the valve stem seals and oil separators at no cost as per the settlement.

The SA called me and said the technician took the car out for a drive to make sure all is good and he heard some noise, he then diagnosed the noise and found that the rear left spring is cracked and that would be around $1050 to replace and they recommend I replace both sides. I was just excited to get the car and I never heard any weird noise before, I thought they're just trying to milk me. I picked the car up and drove home and I heard all kinds of noises I never heard before since I got the car, I mean when I go over bump it sounds like theres a guy in the trunk playing a ****ing mandolin. So weird I absolutely never heard such noises before I dropped the car off.

All I can think of is maybe it was cracked and being on a lift with some pressure relieved off the spring made it move or something and now it makes weird noises.
Reply With Quote
  #2031  
Old 04-25-2019, 05:34 AM
Profesor Profesor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Mein Auto:
I could not have asked for better service

All,

About 7 months ago, I purchased a 2013 550I from Florida (I live in North Carolina). The purchase was from a BMW dealership where a friend of mine works, and the car was taken in on trade. The odometer was sitting at roughly 86,000 miles. When the car arrives, I drive it off the truck and take it for a test drive. Literally, within 1/4 mile, the car stalls and I pull to the side of the road. I try to start it, and it is clear that the engine is seized (I was a mechanic before I became a Professor). Oil is leaking on the road in a fairly large quantity.

I call BMW customer care and they send out a tow truck to haul it to a dealership. A few days later, I get a call from my service advisor that the engine threw a rod through the side of the block. He had good news for me though... BMW will not only replace the engine and all associated parts which received oil circulated through the engine (turbos, oil cooler, etc.), but they would provide me a rental car.

I go to the dealership to pick up the rental (a 2019 X3) and they tell me a new engine should arrive in about 3 months. 7 months later (day before yesterday) and $12,764 in rental car charges (paid for by BMW), I pick up my 550I and it appears to be absolutely perfect. The engine purrs like a kitten and everything is working as I would expect.

From my perspective, nicely done BMW.

Joe
Reply With Quote
  #2032  
Old 04-26-2019, 08:37 AM
veery veery is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Danby NY
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,281
Mein Auto: 2011 328xi; 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profesor View Post
All,

About 7 months ago, I purchased a 2013 550I from Florida (I live in North Carolina). The purchase was from a BMW dealership where a friend of mine works, and the car was taken in on trade. The odometer was sitting at roughly 86,000 miles. When the car arrives, I drive it off the truck and take it for a test drive. Literally, within 1/4 mile, the car stalls and I pull to the side of the road. I try to start it, and it is clear that the engine is seized (I was a mechanic before I became a Professor). Oil is leaking on the road in a fairly large quantity.

I call BMW customer care and they send out a tow truck to haul it to a dealership. A few days later, I get a call from my service advisor that the engine threw a rod through the side of the block. He had good news for me though... BMW will not only replace the engine and all associated parts which received oil circulated through the engine (turbos, oil cooler, etc.), but they would provide me a rental car.

I go to the dealership to pick up the rental (a 2019 X3) and they tell me a new engine should arrive in about 3 months. 7 months later (day before yesterday) and $12,764 in rental car charges (paid for by BMW), I pick up my 550I and it appears to be absolutely perfect. The engine purrs like a kitten and everything is working as I would expect.

From my perspective, nicely done BMW.

Joe
A good story! Thanks for sharing the up-side!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2033  
Old 04-26-2019, 09:28 AM
TXSTYLE's Avatar
TXSTYLE TXSTYLE is offline
The Entertainment Guru
Location: The GYM! (Plano,TX)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 10,936
Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Joe. That is the BEST story I've heard EVER regarding this issue! That dealership is certainly a "model of customer support". Because as I've been told by BMW NA, they are NOT responsible for any rental or loan cars. It is up to the dealer.
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/YdmhJBM.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #2034  
Old 04-26-2019, 11:25 AM
Eagle11's Avatar
Eagle11 Eagle11 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Valley of the Sun
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,939
Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by veery View Post
A good story! Thanks for sharing the up-side!
enough said
__________________
2017 330i, 475, KCL3, ZDA, ZPP, 2A5, 494, 4GA, 609, 6CP BMS JB tune and Many Coded goodies

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015 Gone
Reply With Quote
  #2035  
Old 04-28-2019, 11:20 AM
Jfierro Jfierro is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 550i GT & Z3
oil consumption after valve stem seals replacement

Good morning,

I had my valve stem seals replacement done December 2018. Since then my 550iGT with 59K miles has been running strong. However, yesterday, I checked the oil and it is low again, perhaps 1/2 a quarter needed. I have put roughly 5k miles since the valve stem seals replacement service with no issues whatsoever. Anyone else experiencing this? Is this considered new "normal" for oil consumption?

Thanks,
Jfierro
Reply With Quote
  #2036  
Old 04-28-2019, 10:34 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: Sierra foothills, California USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,578
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfierro View Post
Good morning,

I had my valve stem seals replacement done December 2018. Since then my 550iGT with 59K miles has been running strong. However, yesterday, I checked the oil and it is low again, perhaps 1/2 a quarter needed. I have put roughly 5k miles since the valve stem seals replacement service with no issues whatsoever. Anyone else experiencing this? Is this considered new "normal" for oil consumption?

Thanks,
Jfierro
1 quart per 10,000 miles is fine ("1/2 quarter needed...5k miles since")

This is, apparently, YOUR new normal.
__________________
Alignment here: The Definitive Alignment Thread

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label


OEM is not what BMW sells


http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Reply With Quote
  #2037  
Old 04-29-2019, 09:57 AM
Jfierro Jfierro is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 550i GT & Z3
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2038  
Old 05-13-2019, 02:17 PM
heymattw heymattw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Mein Auto:
Hi, just found this forum and thought I would share my experience.

On January 12th of this year I purchased a 2011 X5 50i with 74k miles on it from a local (non BMW) dealership with an after market warranty from the dealership. It was also "dealer certified" to their standards.

On January 13th I dropped the vehicle back off to the dealership because of a lot of smoke. They claimed it was a bad turbo and fixed it in 26 days.

Three days after it was fixed I still noticed an oil burning smell so I swung by the dealer, they told me it was just oil burning off the manifold from the turbo replacement. I didn't agree, but whatever.

Three days after that the motor blew. This was late February. I have since been making payments, paying insurance, and paying for an additional warranty.

Dealership I purchased it from ordered the motor from a local BMW dealership. I have not seen the car since then. The dealership has given me a 2014 3 series loaner, but I'm getting pretty anxious for my car.

Everyone points their fingers at BMW USA, but they cannot give me any answers. This has been a very disappointing experience. I feel like I should have done some more research before buying.
Reply With Quote
  #2039  
Old 05-14-2019, 08:41 AM
Eagle11's Avatar
Eagle11 Eagle11 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Valley of the Sun
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,939
Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymattw View Post
Hi, just found this forum and thought I would share my experience.

On January 12th of this year I purchased a 2011 X5 50i with 74k miles on it from a local (non BMW) dealership with an after market warranty from the dealership. It was also "dealer certified" to their standards.

On January 13th I dropped the vehicle back off to the dealership because of a lot of smoke. They claimed it was a bad turbo and fixed it in 26 days.

Three days after it was fixed I still noticed an oil burning smell so I swung by the dealer, they told me it was just oil burning off the manifold from the turbo replacement. I didn't agree, but whatever.

Three days after that the motor blew. This was late February. I have since been making payments, paying insurance, and paying for an additional warranty.

Dealership I purchased it from ordered the motor from a local BMW dealership. I have not seen the car since then. The dealership has given me a 2014 3 series loaner, but I'm getting pretty anxious for my car.

Everyone points their fingers at BMW USA, but they cannot give me any answers. This has been a very disappointing experience. I feel like I should have done some more research before buying.
Ding Ding Ding....... Don't get mad at BMWNA, sounds like this is a learning lesson to investigate before purchasing.
__________________
2017 330i, 475, KCL3, ZDA, ZPP, 2A5, 494, 4GA, 609, 6CP BMS JB tune and Many Coded goodies

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015 Gone
Reply With Quote
  #2040  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:16 AM
Steveseidl322 Steveseidl322 is offline
Registered User
Location: Tidewater Va.
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2014 Space Grey 550i
Purchased a 2014 550i February 2019 w/36000 miles. I liked this car's performance, comfort, size, and amenities. Built in June of 2014 this car has the N63TU engine, and I assumed that the many changes made to this engine had alleviated the "oil burn" problem suffered by the original N63 design.
This car has burned 4 quarts of oil in 5,000 miles... it runs strong, has no outward signs of oil consumption such as smoking, or fouled plugs. There are no visible signs of leaks, nor any hesitation during acceleration or de acceleration.
As far as due diligence "ding,ding,ding" in researching a purchase... a used $77,000.00 automobile (when new) with 36000 miles should be reasonably relied upon to provide adequate and reasonable service.
These automobiles, if these problems were widely reported on in the main stream media would be relegated to " junk" status, and their value would be in the toilet as well. BMW should perform a " recall"... not a Customer Care Program as they did for the original N63, and take ownership for the fiasco they've created and once and for all correct it....
Reply With Quote
  #2041  
Old 05-14-2019, 11:26 AM
celluloidheros1 celluloidheros1 is offline
Humble Mechanic
Location: webster, ny
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 5.0
My Car had 97K when the deal did the valve stem seals. Now it has 107 and the car burned about 1 quart. It still smokes a bit but it is vastly improved. BMW snapped the tabs on the engine cool,king fan cowl. so when you get your car back look it over carefully. BMW didn't charge me too much.
Reply With Quote
  #2042  
Old 05-14-2019, 12:52 PM
heymattw heymattw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
Ding Ding Ding....... Don't get mad at BMWNA, sounds like this is a learning lesson to investigate before purchasing.
No, took my point all wrong. The point is I will never own a BMW again because of the way they handled this as a company.
Reply With Quote
  #2043  
Old 05-14-2019, 01:18 PM
TXSTYLE's Avatar
TXSTYLE TXSTYLE is offline
The Entertainment Guru
Location: The GYM! (Plano,TX)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 10,936
Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymattw View Post
No, took my point all wrong. The point is I will never own a BMW again because of the way they handled this as a company.
That was the impression I got from your post, And I respect that.
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/YdmhJBM.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #2044  
Old 05-14-2019, 06:04 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: Sierra foothills, California USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,578
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
That was the impression I got from your post, And I respect that.
lol

The poster bought a USED car, 74k miles... a car model with a MASSIVE history of V8 issues...from "not a BMW dealer'

and he thinks he should have done more research into BMW as a company. And you respect that???

Name ONE car mfg that has never produced a car with issues, systemic issues. Further, on what planet is the mfg 'on the hook' for a car purchased 24k out of warranty? I guess he will no longer buy any car from anyone.
__________________
Alignment here: The Definitive Alignment Thread

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label


OEM is not what BMW sells


http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM

Last edited by ard; 05-14-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2045  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:08 PM
Eagle11's Avatar
Eagle11 Eagle11 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Valley of the Sun
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,939
Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymattw View Post
No, took my point all wrong. The point is I will never own a BMW again because of the way they handled this as a company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
lol

The poster bought a USED car, 74k miles... a car model with a MASSIVE history of V8 issues...from "not a BMW dealer'

and he thinks he should have done more research into BMW as a company. And you respect that???

Name ONE car mfg that has never produced a car with issues, systemic issues. Further, on what planet is the mfg 'on the hook' for a car purchased 24k out of warranty? I guess he will no longer buy any car from anyone.
Thank you!!!
__________________
2017 330i, 475, KCL3, ZDA, ZPP, 2A5, 494, 4GA, 609, 6CP BMS JB tune and Many Coded goodies

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015 Gone
Reply With Quote
  #2046  
Old 05-20-2019, 11:50 AM
Mulchman's Avatar
Mulchman Mulchman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Valley Forge, PA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 705
Mein Auto: '07 650i
DONE!!!!

Car died 3/3/19. Order was placed 3/14 from Bimmerzone. I was first in line at Faulkner BMW for an N63TU. Motor arrived 4/26. Installed by 5/3, then I left for vacation with several errors present. Came home last Sunday and got rid of my last error today.

Note - The cam followers are not installed in the new short block! You need to take the old one and install them in the new motor. This knowledge would have saved me a week of hassle and stress. The guy at the dealership parts counter this morning told me that they have had mechanics do the same thing, so I guess I don't feel too bad about it. Just happy to have my X6 back!

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread! Let me know if I can help, I did about 70% of this job myself.
__________________
'14 X6 i50 - Deep Sea Blue Matallic
'07 650i Coupe - Black Sapphire Metallic
'11 328i Sedan - Alpine White

Reply With Quote
  #2047  
Old 05-20-2019, 11:50 AM
Mulchman's Avatar
Mulchman Mulchman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Valley Forge, PA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 705
Mein Auto: '07 650i
DONE!!!!

Car died 3/3/19. Order was placed 3/14 from Bimmerzone. I was first in line at Faulkner BMW for an N63TU. Motor arrived 4/26. Installed by 5/3, then I left for vacation with several errors present. Came home last Sunday and got rid of my last error today.

Note - The cam followers are not installed in the new short block! You need to take the old one and install them in the new motor. This knowledge would have saved me a week of hassle and stress. The guy at the dealership parts counter this morning told me that they have had mechanics do the same thing, so I guess I don't feel too bad about it. Just happy to have my X6 back!

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread! Let me know if I can help, I did about 70% of this job myself.
__________________
'14 X6 i50 - Deep Sea Blue Matallic
'07 650i Coupe - Black Sapphire Metallic
'11 328i Sedan - Alpine White

Reply With Quote
  #2048  
Old 05-21-2019, 09:29 AM
heymattw heymattw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
lol

The poster bought a USED car, 74k miles... a car model with a MASSIVE history of V8 issues...from "not a BMW dealer'

and he thinks he should have done more research into BMW as a company. And you respect that???

Name ONE car mfg that has never produced a car with issues, systemic issues. Further, on what planet is the mfg 'on the hook' for a car purchased 24k out of warranty? I guess he will no longer buy any car from anyone.
Sorry to not explain it all. I am not complaining about the warranty or the engine from BMW. I am complaining that the non BMW dealership has been trying to get their hands on an engine (and pay for it) with nothing but run around answers from BMW.

My case has nothing to do with a warranty or the fact that the part failed, I took that risk. The fact that they are not able to give me answers is what bothers me.
Reply With Quote
  #2049  
Old 05-22-2019, 06:20 AM
tim716 tim716 is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2011 550i
I documented my oil loss for 2 years which occurred every 600-800 miles. Finally the dealer repaired, but did not replace the engine. This was fine with me as the oil loss is gone completely and no white smoke from a warmed up engine.
Reply With Quote
  #2050  
Old 06-03-2019, 11:13 PM
Goran Goran is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Mein Auto:
Bmw 525

Hello everybody. Iam new here and iam new in the BMW world as well.
Unfortunatly i had a very bad start. I just bought a BMW 525 F10 from 2010 from Bulgaria (i wonder why i was so stupid to buy a car from there but....) anyways, i drove the car 400 km and before i get home the engine blocked. Car wouldnt start at all. What we found out at local service is that they have put something, very thick thing, in the engine and as I heard, they do it so the engine works very smooth for awhile, so they can cheat people like me to buy it
Every service i asked so far is telling me i need to replace that engine cause its not worthed to try to clean it or fix it etc ...
Although i find it very dificult to find another engine for the 525 model.
Any advices, previous experiences with this engines etc ... Please.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.